Decisions, decisions - what would you do?

When to go next trip

• Xmas Wk even w/the crowds and just getting back in October. Nothing beats that Xmas atmosphere!

• Presidents' Week makes much more sense based on your situation. Let's hope the airfare drops!

• I'm with you - I can't decide either!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SleepyatDVC

DIS Veteran
We have a trip planned for 10/2 - 10/14/05 with a tentative one for Presidents' Week next February.

I finally pinned DH down last night to talk about banking our points, point balances and when they have to be used by. We discussed where & when we should go on our next trip.

We have APs and DDE that expire at the end of April 2006. We wanted to get 3 trips in and then take a break :faint: :charac2: for a while before buying new passes. Maybe Vero, HH, Universal, or renting out points to cruise. :confused3

We had previously thought Presidents' Week becasue the kids get off, and it would be before our APs and DDE expire. Easter week would be too hectic.

I was talking to DH and he suddenly says, why don't we go doing Christmas Week? :earseek: :faint: I'm starting to panic because everyone knows you got to reserve that week at least 7 months in advance!

He figures the kids are off both weeks, they will both be crowded (Xmas more), it will both be expensive to fly, but at least the Xmas decorations will make the trip so much nicer!

I told him that I doubted that anything will be available on consecutive nights on such short notice. So, we agreed I would call today and inquire, if we had to wait-list for anything, I would just book Feb 2006.

I just banked 178 points today that would have to be used between 12/1/05 and 11/30/06. But since we want to go while we still have APs, we have to use them between 12/1/05 and 4/23/06.

I inquired about Christmas Week like I promised in any studio or one bedroom unit. Lol and behold, a one bedroom at OKW was available (in sufficient quantity that I didn't have to reserve immediately) for the whole week for 296 points! :earseek:

Presidents' Week was also available in a one bedroom at OKW (our first choice for this trip) for 218 points.

Now I'm not sure what to do!

Non-stop airfare for NYC - MCO for Xmas Week will be around $281.00 (on AA as of today) round trip per person. While non-stop airfare for Prez Week is still around $400.00 (on Continental). I don't think Xmas will drop and will probably go up but I'm hoping the Prez Week fare will go down. It did briefly over the weekend on AA to about $181.00 for one day and it popped back up. Didn't jump on it because I hadn't booked the rooms yet and was hoping for the other airlines to drop too.

Pros and Cons:

Christmas Week
Pros:
Christmas Decorations
Kids are off
Chritmas Party
DH likes WDW during Christmas
Slightly lower airfare (for now)
OKW will sltill be a refuge from the Xmas crowds
APs and DDE still valid
We can put up Xmas lights at OKW!
We can soak up the atmosphere instead of waiting on lines
Cons:
Crowds
Higher points
Crowds
Airfare is still kind of high
We would have just gotten back from BWV a little over 2 months earlier
Since we are taking a break after this trip - longer gap until our next WDW trip.
Did I mention crowds?
Airfare is still not cheap

Presidents' Week
Pros:
Good time to be getting out of NYC winter
APs and DDE stil valid
Kids are off
Points are lower
More time between this trip and last trip in 10/05
Shorter gap until next trip in ??
Less crowded than Xmas
Airfare may still drop
Can cancel or drive (not) if airfare stays high
Great pool time
Cons:
No decorations
Airfare higher than Xmas right now
It will still be crowded
DH thinks it's a boring time :rolleyes:
Can't think of anything else

So what do you all think I should do? What would you do?

My vote is enjoy the Christmas decorations at WDW!!!

Frozenfingers said:
really... why not do both??

You're kidding right? Have you been talking to my DH?

I had to work late today. But my DH stopped by after work to pick up the kids and actually asked me if we had enough points for both!! :earseek:

Gotta love that man. :love2: :lovestruc

We don't have no 514 points (296 + 218) but if we drop one weekend night from each week it would "only" be 387 points (223 + 164) which is still a lot of points but doable. We have 391 banked and current points available for 12/05 UY and since DH wants to take a break we can just use them all up and not worry about expiring points or having to rent out excess.

Oh, but the frugal me just can't justify high airfare for both trips! We're talking about $1200 - 1600 in airfare for EACH trip! :faint: And since we are staying at OKW, DH insists on having a rental car there, so more $$$. We are paying $541.60 total for our October trip.

Heck, at this rate, DH will suggest borrowing points and making an Easter trip too! :crazy:

O'kay back to reality - DH just doesn't have the vacation days to do Xmas and February unless he takes UNPAID vacation which if you add that amount to the airfare would go a long way to paying for another add-on!!!!!

I just don't think that 2 trips is feasible, wise, or realistic. But boy, am I tempted!!!

People, learn from my experience, AP's DO NOT SAVE you money! You WILL wind up spending a few extra THOUSANDS after "saving" a few measly hundreds!

JimC said:
My vote is enjoy the Christmas decorations at WDW!!!

Wow! A lot of people seem to favor Christmas over February!

But doesn't anyone think it's too close to our October 2005 trip since I won't even be getting home until 10/14/05? Just over 2 months. :confused3

SleepyatDVC said:

But doesn't anyone think it's too close to our October 2005 trip since I won't even be getting home until 10/14/05? Just over 2 months. :confused3
I wouldn't care too much about the just getting back part, but I think you are close to nuts for wanting to go Christmas week.

I've been 3 or 4 times during President's week and while it's crowded, it's not that bad - very manageable for a WDW vet. OTOH, Christmas is truly crazy - forget about doing the rides unless you all enjoy standing in line, LOL. I predict major frustration - unless you and the kids really love running around looking at Christmas decorations! (They're kids - they want to do the rides, right?) :teeth:

I vote for President's week - if DH thinks it's a boring time, remind him about the boring ;) weather at home during that time. Then schedule some things you haven't done yet - maybe a tour, a dinner show, DQ, a fireworks cruise, etc.

Have fun - lucky you to be going 3 times in one year.

Best wishes -

SleepyatDVC said:

We have gone in October and returned in December. We have gone in July and returned in August. We have gone in March, May and in then again in June. We went in April of this year then did the Panama Canal cruise in May.

Just over two months too close :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

CarolMN said:
I wouldn't care too much about the just getting back part, but I think you are close to nuts for wanting to go Christmas week.

I've been 3 or 4 times during President's week and while it's crowded, it's not that bad - very manageable for a WDW vet. OTOH, Christmas is truly crazy - forget about doing the rides unless you all enjoy standing in line, LOL. I predict major frustration - unless you and the kids really love running around looking at Christmas decorations! (They're kids - they want to do the rides, right?) :teeth:

I vote for President's week - if DH thinks it's a boring time, remind him about the boring ;) weather at home during that time. Then schedule some things you haven't done yet - maybe a tour, a dinner show, DQ, a fireworks cruise, etc.

Have fun - lucky you to be going 3 times in one year.

Best wishes -

Thanks Carol! I needed a dose of reality! I agree with everything you said. And it looks like the tide is changing on the poll towards February. I definitely will stick with our original plans for Presidents' Week.

What was I thinking? No wait, what was HE thing? Lol!

Yeah, 3 times in less than one year :cheer2: :banana: Gotta make use of those AP's and DDE!

Bad news is DH says that's it for now - for at least a year or more. :sad2: So maybe we will do either Thanksgiving or early December 2007. Need to figure out the points situation. I'm getting withdrawal just thinking about the WDW drought! :cold:

I think it would be nice to be at Disney during Christmas at least once. I don't think is is too soon, but I do agree the crowds may be a problem.

Oh, the decisions we got to make...lol.

Since you're going in October, I'd opt for Prez Week. That's usually when the weather is really crummy, the winter seems to drag on forever and you'll probably be craving some Florida sunshine.

DisFlan

I voted for Pres. Wk. ....but now I want to change my mind to "I can't decide". Pres. Wk is the more logical choice, but a Christmas get-away sounds really magical. I've never been at Christmastime so I have no sense of reality about that. If your kids have two weeks off at Christmas you might be able to shift or lenghten the stay to help with the crowds.

I guess you already decided, but I voted for Christmas. There's so much to do celebrating Christmas in WDW, and the sooner you go and see it, the sooner you may decide to make that an annual tradition. We're empty nesters, and have been going to WDW since 1977 about every 3 years, but even before DVC, once we were there for one December and saw the decorations, we have been back every year. We've been going back ourselves and with family and friends, but it's a definte must do!!!

Bobbi

I think hands down it is christmas....My wife is beyond stubborn about NOT going at christmas, apparently she still finds appeal in staying up cooking all night on Christmas eve, and then rushing through opening up presents in the morning, and then explaining to your brokenhearted children that they cant play with their toys because we need to get to christmas dinner. Then going home and explaining to your children they cant play with their toys because it is bedtime. after putting them in bed, collapsing from exhaustion :guilty:

yep...who would want to leave all of that fmaily fun for a week at the most magical place on earth.....I mean c'mon my wife would gladly give up a new years eve at epcot for some bad chinese food and Dick Clarke....ho ho ho ho merry christmas and happy new year...........I CHOOSE CRHRISTMAS!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter