Denise's Happy, Healthy,Healing Journal-Posts welcome

DisDee

DIS Veteran
I've decided that since I love being on the Dis so much, that this would be the perfect place to write my on-line journal of weight loss, fitness and lifestyle changes. I'll share some info about myself during the next couple of days. Support and comments are welcomed. I find this board very motivational and I'm excited to begin this journey!

Hi Denise and welcome to the DIS WISH journals!! I look forward to hearing more about you!!!

Take care :wave:

Let me introduce myself...My name is Denise, I'm 52, live in South Jersey (very close to Philly) love going to WDW as we all do,and need to lose about 50 lbs.My DD and I took a short trip to WDW in May, where I had my wake-up experience. I've had osteo-arthritis in my knees for years now, and the condition has slowed me down quite a bit, but never has kept me from participating in the activities that I enjoy. Unfortunately, during this trip, that's exactly what happened.After a day in the MK, and a day in AK, my knee went out just from stepping the wrong way. The next day, my daughter insisted that I get a wheel chair for our day in Epcot. I fought her about it, but finally relented because I knew my very slow limp would keep her from enjoying the park. I decided then and there that I didn't want to have this happen to me in the parks again, so I needed to get serious and take control of my poor eating habits and lack of exercise. In the past couple of weeks, I've made some small changes to my lifestyle to help me become more healthy, and I'm very happy about that. My knee is feeling somewhat better, so I'm also healing from that injury. I literally have to take baby steps in this journey, so your support is much appreciated!

Started using the Calorie King website today. It has lots of great info and easy to use food lists for counting calories. Seems to be user friendly and something that I can stick with. I also drank water today in place of diet soda. Don't know if I can do that every day, but I'm pleased with today's efforts. Had a salad for dinner instead of a hoagie or pasta dish at a local Italian place. Today was a good day!

Welcome! :wave2: The small changes that you make will make a HUGE difference! My dad has knee problems, so I can empathize with you. I have seen his struggles and I know what you are going through. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel just by taking off a few pounds! Good luck on your journey and keep it up! :thumbsup2 Karyn

:welcome: Denise! I’m glad you’re here! The WISH boards are a source of great inspiration for me and hopefully they will be for you too! :sunny:

You have taken the first and most important step by deciding to lead a healthier lifestyle! :cheer2: You seem to be off to a great start also w/ drinking water and making better choices while eating out! I think that eating out is one of the hardest challenges, so if you can get that down you can do anything! :thumbsup2

I see you have joined the walking to Disney challenge. How far is it for you? Have you considered joining any of the other challenges? I am not sure how much exercise you can do w/ your knee problems, but I really like the exercise challenges. You can just sign up for however many minutes that you think you can manage in the month.

Good Luck and Keep up the Good work! Have a Great weekend! :sunny:

Thanks so much for the nice welcomes! I haven't visited the Walking to Disney challenge lately because of the problems with my knees, but I intend to get back there again and re-start my mileage record. Our next trip will be Jan.2007 to BCV. Wouldn't it be great if I could rack up all those miles?

I had a rough time at work today with goodies.One of our reps brought in pastries and I just couldn't refuse. When I checked the calorie content I was shocked, but I ate a nice salad for lunch and even refused the bread, so it sort of balanced out. I've started doing the stretching exercises that I was given at physical therapy last year. We're going to Hershey park on July 8 & 9, so hopefully that will prepare me somewhat. Hershey has a lot of seated show attractions, so maybe I'll stick with those if my knees are too creaky. I'm so glad the weekend is here.I'll have some time to organize my food choices for the week and get some grocery shopping done.

Hi Denise!

I have also just recently started using a journal to help me on my journey!

I work in fast food, and this site REALLY helps me to get thru the meal times! My DH also will send me dinners so I stick to those healthy meals rather than modified fast food. I just thank my stars I don't work anywhere near pastries. I couldn't do it. It is hard enough having gone on a glueten/wheat/flour free diet since January without all those extra temptations going on! I would never be able to do it!

I have osteo-arthritis in my spine from poor mechanics, which I am working on very hard. I limped thru my last visit to WDW, but I am on track to enjoying walking on my next in 2 years!

Good luck and keep taking those baby steps! And have many more good days!

Wendy

Thanks for the encouragement Wendy!

We went to our nephew's high school graduation party today. I made some good food choices...chicken breast without a roll, broccoli salad, veggie sticks, diet soda, but then I made the mistake of sitting at the table with the pretzels and sour cream and onion chips. I had way too many of them! I have no idea how many I consumed, so how do I count them in my food diary? I guess I'll just write down the foods that I can count and just list the others as additional items without portion amount. I feel good about refusing the cake for dessert. We had a really nice time there visiting with friends and family that we hadn't seen in awhile.

I'm down 1.5 lbs. today!

Yeah! Great start Denise!

Keep it up! OR off as we would like it to be!

Wendy

I've been using Calorie King for almost a week now, and I am happy to say that it's a great tool for keeping me on track. I did some smart grocery shopping this week and took the time to prepare food to take to work. The only thing that I've purchased from the vending machine was a small bag of pretzels.I've also continued with my stretching program and feel that my knee pain is improving. Next week, I'll start my walking program. Thursday is my weigh-in day, and I know that I've lost a few pounds. I'll share my results tomorrow. I know that my planning ahead has helped me stay on track.

Denise, I have never heard of Calorie King. I think that I will check into it.

Good luck on meals. They are the hardest when you have to be out of the home and work. I know it kills me.

Have some great losses!

Wendy

I did my first weekly weigh-in and I'm happy to say that I have lost 4 lbs. I've been consistent with my journaling, but my food choices need some work. I'm sticking within my suggested calorie range, but not always eating the healthiest choices. For instance today, a co-worker decided to treat us to fresh from the oven soft pretzels, and I can't believe that I had 2. (those of you from the Phila. area know the temptation.) After downing the pretzels, I compromised my healthy choices later in the day just to save calories.Ugh! When I do my grocery shopping this week, I need to expand my healthy selections for more variety. I'm nervous about this holiday weekend with all the socializing and the food and drink temptations. Whenever I spend time at my friend's pool, we always enjoy a couple of wine coolers or frozen drinks. I suppose I'll have to come up with a reduced calorie version. I need to get creative!

Denise, I too find the diet the hardest. I have eliminated breads and such, and it has made a big difference. It's the sugars that I tend to be bad with. We are having dinner at our house for the holiday, so that I can control what's on the table. Sure helps!

Good luck this weekend and have a great holiday!

Wendy

I did fairly well yesterday for the first day of the weekend. We spent the day with friends and had lunch at a restaurant where I chose a turkey club with fries, but gave most of them to my hubby. Later in the evening , my son and his fiancee came over, so we grilled for them. I passed on the hot dogs and burgers and had dessert. Peach mango smoothie frozen yogurt-200 calories for a cup, and boy was it yummy! Not sure what's happening today...probably spending some time with my Mom and sister. Whatever we do should be fun since its the weekend!!!! Enjoy your day everyone and make some smart choices when it comes to food!

Denise, You are doing an excellent job on your diet! :cheer2: WAY TO GO on the Weight Loss! :cheer2: 4 pounds! You are off to a great start!

You are doing a really good job of picking healthier choices when eating out. That is the thing that I tend to struggle with :guilty:

Hope you have a great holiday weekend! Doing good so far! :sunny:

Great weight loss Denise!

Have a great Holiday!

Wendy

I've had a rough couple of days with all the holiday eating and socializing. Time to get back on track tomorrow. It will be much easier when I take my little prepared meals to work. I'm bordering on feeling really crappy about myself, but need to get over that and remember the good things that I've done. I suppose that I picked the wrong day to go bathing suit shopping (gotta laugh) but I did buy one which I really like from the Delta Burke collection. I love being in the water so I resigned myself years ago to enjoy the pool and beach and not worry about what others think. Hope everyone enjoyed the 4th and did something patriotic and community oriented. We went to a neighboring community for some activities. We're watching the Phila Welcome America broadcast right now. We probably should have hopped on the train and rode across the river and joined in the fun, but it just gets soooo crowded. We've been there and done that! When the wind is blowing in the right direction, we can hear the fireworks from Phila.-kind of like a simulcast. Enjoy your night and stick with your programs!!!!!

Decided to set daily goals for myself. Today, I'll drink 8 glasses of water. I also need to get tougher and refuse the snacks that my co-workers are always bringing in. Sometimes my office seems like a big junk food buffet. For example...yesterday everybody brought in their 4th of July leftovers. We had way too many desserts sitting there.Sometimes I think there's a conspiracy against me. I turned around after taking a phone call and a piece of chocolate cake was sitting in my "in" bin.

Today is my day to "Just say no!"

Good luck Denise! It does sound as if your co-workers just aren't concerned with your desire to be healthy. Just say no is a great way to start! It took a while to get my best friend to understand that I was changing everything, not just selected segments. She understands now, and even helps to make sure that if we meet for lunch, it is somewhere that has a sensible menu. I think I encourage her to be healthier.

Best wishes!

Wendy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter