describe your Palate

Have you tried gator tail? As a Floridian, you probably have, but I thought I'd ask. If not, the saying that it tastes like chicken isn't accurate. IMO, it's better than chicken, if it's prepared well. We used to order it a lot in Tampa. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it in South Florida.

Have you tried pinching your nose & eating it? I'm wondering how it tastes, if you don't smell it first. I'm still intrigued & want to try it.
Blackened gator is one my favorite ways to eat it!

I know you're asking someone else, but I've had gator at a county fair. Reminded me of fish - maybe more like catfish. BTW - it's going to be illegal in California in a few years. Something about not being able to tell the difference between products of any crocodilian species where someone could claim that an endangered species is just American alligator parts.

I know people from Asia who claims it's the greatest fruit in the world. But the smell seems to vary. On top of what I've said earlier, I've heard of claims that the smell is reminiscent of gasoline or turpentine. Maybe onions or a sewer.

I'm told the texture is superb. Don't know if I'd hold my nose. Anything I accidentally put in my mouth was stuff where I wouldn't get any durian texture because it was already ground up.

I agree that gator tastes more like fish, but it's not exactly like any fish I've tasted. IMO, it's better than most white fish, if it's prepared properly & the texture is different. The "taste like chicken" reference was more of a joke, because some people say everything tastes like chicken. I should have made that more clear.

The smell & taste of durian may depend on how ripe the fruit is. :confused3 I've had coconut picked from a tree in Mexico that tasted exactly like vomit. That was one of the worst things I've had to force myself to swallow. Needless to say, I didn't go back for seconds. :laughing:

Where can you even buy durian fruit?

I’m fairly adventurous and will try new things within reason. No bugs or organs though. I also won’t eat snails or raw oysters.

Where can you even buy durian fruit?

I’m fairly adventurous and will try new things within reason. No bugs or organs though. I also won’t eat snails or raw oysters.

Are you in a major metro area with an Asian supermarket or perhaps a Chinatown? Those things are scary looking. There are reports of deaths when one fell from a tree on someone. Kind of like being hit with a spiked mace. I saw one tree on the grounds of a Buddhist temple in Thailand. I chose not to walk under the tree.

800px-Durian.jpg

I agree that gator tastes more like fish, but it's not exactly like any fish I've tasted. IMO, it's better than most white fish, if it's prepared properly & the texture is different. The "taste like chicken" reference was more of a joke, because some people say everything tastes like chicken. I should have made that more clear.

The smell & taste of durian may depend on how ripe the fruit is. :confused3 I've had coconut picked from a tree in Mexico that tasted exactly like vomit. That was one of the worst things I've had to force myself to swallow. Needless to say, I didn't go back for seconds. :laughing:

It's weird in other languages. It doesn't really translate all that well, but the word for any crocodilian in Chinese is 鳄鱼, which literally means "crocodile fish". Even a crocodile.

I thought the ban in California was starting pretty soon, but apparently it was supposed to start this year, but a court order has at least temporarily lifted the ban. There was a lawsuit filed by the state of Louisiana, owners of alligator farms in Louisiana, and some retailers who sold alligator hide products (shoes, belts, handbags, etc).

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/federal-court-temporarily-pulls-the-79243/
I still don't want to know what durian really tastes like. And I've eaten assorted oddball stuff including century eggs.

Seafood, beef, chicken, no cream sauces but love a good roux. Just about any veggies and salad are on my list.

My palate is incredibly unsophisticated and I even like and seek our durian. There are only four things i am unable to eat-
1) Fig Newtons
2) Tuna noodle casserole
3) Sea urchin eggs
4) Cuttlefish

edit:Must admit I am not that fond of the huge chewy African snails but would probably be okay with enough tabasco

Last edited:
I much prefer any South East Asian foods, and Mediterranean meals. I like flavors...especially Thai foods. I cannot stomach wings, burgers or fries.

I like to try new and different things. I'm pretty much a "Try anything once" guy--with the caveat that I have tried bugs, brains, etc and I won't be having them again.:)

Have you tried gator tail? As a Floridian, you probably have, but I thought I'd ask. If not, the saying that it tastes like chicken isn't accurate. IMO, it's better than chicken, if it's prepared well. We used to order it a lot in Tampa. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it in South Florida.

It tasted fishy to me, and I absolutely hate seafood. The person who had ordered it didn’t think it tasted like fish or chicken - it tasted like gator to them. But I was not a fan, and I won’t try it again.

Is it adventurous , enjoying all life has to offer.....

mine hasn't really changed since I was 11

so if for some odd reason I am coming over to your house for super, and dont know what to make, ask a 11 year old boy what he likes

Country blue, deep red, gold, and forest green.............................OH!!! Not that kind of palette, LOL. :rolleyes1 :):ssst:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

OK, just this once and it IS Halloween, with a full moon (blood red it's called) and it's 2020.......I have to state that I'm just like Lowkey on this one. I probably haven't changed my diet much at all in my lifetime. I'm quite picky.
Join our little club @Kitty 34 . The good thing about it is that we will never feel compelled to spend a fortune on "fancy" dinners that you leave still hungry.

I would probably try anything that doesn't bite back once. I like trying new foods, love exotic sushi and sashimi, frog's legs, pulpo salad, etc. But my family doesn't-I'm the family cook and it's strictly meat and potatoes homestyle comfort food. It's rare that I get to test my palate.

1. Poop Cocktail
During cleaning, shrimp’s legs are torn off and they’re decapitated and disemboweled. As their bowels are ripped out, poop spills out and often gets all over the shrimp.

....but the best poop Cocktail is Dungness crab... people don't want to admit it....but is the poop during boiling that flavors the crab. Easy experiment, clean one crab and boil one whole....two totally different taste. I also live on the border....so I will try the tripe soup

8. Cholesterol Bombs
With a whopping 152 milligrams of cholesterol per 100-gram serving of shrimp (four or five shrimp), just two servings would put you over the daily recommended allowance of 300 milligrams of cholesterol. No plant food in the world contains any cholesterol.

I lived off the land in Oregon...organic veggies to organic venison....still got cancer....so Low-key keep on the mac and cheese diet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter