Dessert Subsitution on TS Meal

bcuinohio

DIS Veteran
The Dining plan indicates that you may be able to substitute out your dessert for something else but it is not very specific.

Each Table-Service meal includes (for lunch or dinner):
  • 1 Entrée
  • 1 Dessert*
  • Nonalcoholic Beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage, for Guests 21 and older)
*Ask your server about potential substitutions, but substitutions are not guaranteed.

I am wondering if people have been able to substitute their dessert and if so, for what?

You will have to ask at every TS restaurant because not all of them will offer a substitution. What is offered is decided by the restaurant; most often it has been a cup of soup or a side salad or a vegetable. As Pumbaa posted, it will not be an appetizer already on the menu.

The dessert substitution is never going to be from the appetizer menu, so even if you are able to get soup or sald, it will generally be a side salad, or perhaps a cup of soup. Of all the "pixie dust" anecdotes I have read, I do not recall a server allowing a real appetizer.

It’s not up to the server. They have no control over what is allowed.

I personally was able to swap out the dessert for lobster bisque at Narcoossees and a modified smaller version of the lettuce wedge with blue cheese at Prime Time Cafe. The server made it herself because she knew how much I wanted it, but she couldn't give me the usual size.

While I do like sweets, after eating and drinking alot of sugary snacks [I'm addicted to Starbuck's Caramel Frappuccinos - but only do them on vacation], I need a break.

Oh, I was thinking that they did away with desserts to replace with the alcoholic drink... Now I realize that was only for quick-service, which was way too many desserts anyway. Sweet!

~Cari~ pluto:

Has anyone been able to substitute with an additional alcoholic beverage? That might get my husband interested in the DDP...

A cup of soup, small side salad

You will not be able to get a true appetizer
This is not necessarily true, for example, at Skipper's Canteen, the server told us as soon as we said we were on the regular dining plan that the Shiriki Noodle Salad, Jungle Green Salad or there was a special soup being offered could be substituted for the dessert if we so chose and they were the full sized appetizers.

Sci-Fi dine in was a bottle of water if you so desired, the server said not to do it, she would help come up with something for my wife that needed sugar free for dessert.

Hacienda de San Angel offered a fruit plate that was incredible and I think we all agreed we would be willing switch our desserts for that in the future.

Everywhere has its own policy, so you do need to ask and at some locations, the servers are given some discretion as well, such as at the Hollywood Brown Derby, they get a lot of discretion due to the fact that it is modeled after the original Brown Derby which always had a policy of giving customers what they wanted as long as it was possible.

Has anyone been able to substitute with an additional alcoholic beverage? That might get my husband interested in the DDP...
The technical answer would be no, but some venues (mostly buffets) allow you to get an alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink each and if someone isn't ordering their alcoholic drink, there server may offer to let you order theirs as well. We had this happen in our party a couple of times since my wife and I don't drink.

According to Disney's website, each Table-Service meal includes (for lunch and dinner)
1 Appetizer
1 Entree
1 Dessert*
1 Non-alcoholic beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage for Guests 21 and older)
* Ask your server about potential substitutions but substitutions are not guaranteed

According to Disney's website, each Table-Service meal includes (for lunch and dinner)
1 Appetizer
1 Entree
1 Dessert*
1 Non-alcoholic beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage for Guests 21 and older)
* Ask your server about potential substitutions but substitutions are not guaranteed

Just a clarification. What you have quoted is for the DELUXE plan only. The regular plan does NOT include the appetizer. The asterik still applies for the dessert, though.

Just a clarification. What you have quoted is for the DELUXE plan only. The regular plan does NOT include the appetizer. The asterik still applies for the dessert, though.
Also, some locations have different substitutions available for the deluxe plan vs the standard plan.

Anyone have experience with substituting at La Hacienda for perhaps a smaller portion of that crema de elote that I really want to try? :rolleyes1

Anyone have experience with substituting at La Hacienda for perhaps a smaller portion of that crema de elote that I really want to try? :rolleyes1
No, I know the one inside the Mexico Pavilion does a delicious fruit plate as a substitution.

Really World Showcase is a strange one, as each restaurant makes up their own rules since they aren't run by Disney and most leave it up to the servers discretion, so what one server does may not be what another does unless it is official policy.

Oh, I was thinking that they did away with desserts to replace with the alcoholic drink... Now I realize that was only for quick-service, which was way too many desserts anyway. Sweet!

~Cari~ pluto:

The dessert was removed and an extra snack credit was added. The alcoholic beverage was added but there were no entitlements removed when it was included.

I cannot see this happening. As was already posted, there may not be a charge for the soft beverage of coffee, but I doubt restaurants will allow swapping the dessert out for an additional alcoholic beverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter