Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

We are finally able to put the bathroom and closet back together.

DH got rid of a big bag of shoes and I collected 5 more pairs to add to the pile. Mostly heels from my previous career days.

Also gone
-old suntan lotion bottles trashed-not worth a sunburn to see if still good
-misc drawer odds and ends
-5 candles to donate
-3 almost done candles trashed

I also found a few almost done bottles of cleaner that I collected to use up.

A few more items leaving the house today!!

6 Tool boxes (with all the tools, parts, supplies) - relocated to robotics center
1 bag of assorted robotics supplies - relocated to robotics center,
1 box of very expired hot chocolate - trashed

8 items left the house

29 items of 2018 or 1.4% of goal

Okay, I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but it is destashing (I hope!)

We are going to Disney next week. Today my older daughter called and said, 'Do you have any extra shampoo? I am trying not to go to the store and spend any money before we leave.'

Of course I have tons of little shampoo bottles from the hotels during my trips! Cluttering up my linen closet! So her friend came by on her way to my daughters and she collected them all, and in addition, the friend was happy to take all the little bottles of lotions as well as some assorted soaps.

I carry my own shampoo and conditioner and soap and never use the hotel stuff because I'm allergic to so many of them. But I can't just leave them there - I bring them all home.

We are going to Disney next week. Today my older daughter called and said, 'Do you have any extra shampoo? I am trying not to go to the store and spend any money before we leave.'

Of course I have tons of little shampoo bottles from the hotels during my trips! Cluttering up my linen closet! So her friend came by on her way to my daughters and she collected them all, and in addition, the friend was happy to take all the little bottles of lotions as well as some assorted soaps.

I carry my own shampoo and conditioner and soap and never use the hotel stuff because I'm allergic to so many of them. But I can't just leave them there - I bring them all home.

If it makes you feel better I have a whole plastic bin dedicated to the hotel products. I don't use them in my daily life but you never know when someone stays over and they will come in handy. It is a sickness. This doesn't even count what lives under the bathroom sink which is a project for another day.

I had to run some errands today so I didn't get too much done. Finished going through the Christmas stuff. Another 10 strands of lights when into the trash. I hope to get more done tomorrow.

If it makes you feel better I have a whole plastic bin dedicated to the hotel products. I don't use them in my daily life but you never know when someone stays over and they will come in handy. It is a sickness. This doesn't even count what lives under the bathroom sink which is a project for another day.

Daughter just called to say thanks. She was able to empty one set of the shampoos into her shampoo bottle and they filled it up!

I used to have a bucket under the sink, but last year I gave the whole shebang to the local women's homeless shelter. Of course, I have a few from my travels this year, so they need to go, too.

Spent 4 hours in the basement, and went thru 8 more totes. I have 2 totes devoted to a rummage sale. 20 items to the garbage bin.

1979/2018

I did some more today

My bedroom:

Goodwill:
3 pairs of shoes
clothes - another 10 items

Rubbish:
3 pairs of shoes
bag of old camera/video chargers and the AV cords
Super old cocktail hat
shopping bag
The collection of empty shampoo/conditioner bottles from my shower that are finally all empty - 4

Dining room:

Goodwill:

3 cook books

Rubbish:
Old recipe magazines - 50 (really! some have been in the house for years and I never went back to make the recipes I thought looked good at the time lol)
Old faded vases and tea light candle holders that were used for decoration at my 40th (5 years ago this month) - 8.

1720 - 94 - 1626

I'm right there with you! I have so many travel-sized items from hotels, Target beauty boxes, and other random samples. One of my other goals for the year is to use some of them up.

Two hall closets and dresser gone through.

Donating 7 items. Trashed few things.

Went through water bottles. 6 being donated.

Last big thing to go through is kitchen cupboards. Will do that as I start packing.

Also need to finish going through my scrapbook supplies later this week.

That should be it until we start packing in a few months.

Went through all the kitchen cabinets today. 3 boxes of stuff went to the Goodwill plus another bag of clothes. A bag of kitchen stuff also went into the trash.

Totally in for 2018! My family are pack rats that keep everything! I've gone through master bath, laundry room, and two hall closets have 2 bags full of donation stuff and 4 bags of trash! Yup they keep everything even broken stuff so I have to clean out when they're not home! I'm off several days this week so while hubby and the child are at school/work more stuff is leaving this place! I'm sick of opening closest and stuff falls out it's so packed!

Got rid of a bit today by cleaning off the top of refrigerator and a drawer:

2 laser pointers - donated
1 2” bouncy ball - donated
4 keys -recycled
1 grocery bag of misc receipts, used up gift cards, etc… - recycled

Bonus: Found 100 dollars in cash!!

8 items left the house

37 items of 2018 or 1.83% of goal

Where are your favorite places to donate? We donate clothes to a church who distributes them. There is "Purple Heart" and "Amvets" that call often and pick up items. We used to donate a lot to Goodwill but I am not so sure about them anymore.

Last edited:
Where are your favorite places to donate? We donate clothes to a church eho distributes them. There is "Purple Heart" and "Amvets" that call often and pick up items. We used to donate a lot to Goodwill but I am not so sure about them anymore.

I donate to the local animal shelter store. All proceeds go towards taking care of the animals

Where are your favorite places to donate? We donate clothes to a church eho distributes them. There is "Purple Heart" and "Amvets" that call often and pick up items. We used to donate a lot to Goodwill but I am not so sure about them anymore.

I donate to the local animal shelter store. All proceeds go towards taking care of the animals

I Donate to a local women’s shelter,
Salvation Army and habitat for humanity

Hi. I have decided to join this thread - long time reader of it. I have decided I need more accountability. I did great a few years ago selling all my old kids stuff on facebook. I loved the extra income and the elimination of clutter. I need to get back into decluttering my life. So far for 2018, I have:
  • Cleaned 4 kitchen cabinets
  • Sold one fish tank
  • listed a second fish tank for sale
  • Sold 1 car seat
  • cleaned both kid closets and organized their pajamas for keep/handmedown/sale/donate
  • Organized coat closet
I'm not keeping track of numbers, but I feel some progress has been made. Next up is my dresser. I hope to do a couple drawers every night this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter