DHS Construction update thread (Read Post 1) Updated 8/21/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does this logic come from? What half of the attractions are closed? Acreage I'll give you, they did close off a lot of land. But there was very little to do back there. 1 show, 1 ride. That's all, right? How does loosing that go from a full day to half day?

Where did I say half the attractions are closed or it's a half day park? It's a big construction zone. The back half of the park is closed off. I was talking about area. If that doesn't bother you, then it doesn't matter.

Where did I say half the attractions are closed or it's a half day park? It's a big construction zone. The back half of the park is closed off. I was talking about area. If that doesn't bother you, then it doesn't matter.
You are right. My mistake. I saw half a park and misread that to be half day park. Sorry about that.

I would be pleasantly surprised if SWLand opens at the end of 2019. I am expecting 2020
No matter when it opens it will be insanely busy and I would not be surprised if they do charge to go into this new land for the first couple of months, like a hard ticket. They have to manage the crowds somehow

I'm expecting 2020 too. I've seen many say so and it makes sense based on Disney's history.

You could go and skip DHS like we've done. You feel like there's plenty to do but you will be skipping it if you don't go at all anyway. We are pretty burnt out on most of the park nowadays.

Honestly, I think your approach is right. If he does not like crowds (and no one really does), then how will he handle the popularity of a new Star Wars area? Perhaps real-talk with him about how popular Pandora was on opening day and closely after that. I've seen you mention before that you're coming from Canada so perhaps by then the exchange rate will be in a better place, too. Maybe a compromise is to travel in 2020 or 2021 and save so that you could do some extras if necessary. I don't know how that impacts the tickets you already purchased.

1. Even though we really don't know, based on construction videos, Disneyland looks like it can be finished by summer 2019, but I would be surprised if WDW was finished by that point. Maybe late 2019 for WDW if not 2020 by now.

2. Pandora had big crowds, because it was something new. I don't think the movie Avatar had any big impact on the crowds of the land. Star Wars is one of the biggest franchises ever in history. It is safe to say that all of us will have to pack our patience when we visit Star Wars Land after it opens. I don't even want to picture how crowded it will be right now, and how long the lines for the attractions will be.

I know for a fact that I will be attending whatever AP preview they offer for SWL. We opted to skip out on our Pandora preview and it was a mistake I'm still regretting, even though we thoroughly enjoyed opening weekend. I won't make that mistake for SWL. We will be there. We'll keep our AP going just for getting to the preview events

We can only go in the summer. Do we even have an idea of the projected opening date? What are the chances of SWL even being open for summer 2019? And, when would we know for sure (as sure as we can get) what the realistic opening date will be?

As repeated many times here, no one knows for sure. I also don't expect any announce on it until next year (they announced 2019 at the Star Wars Celebration, I expect no further clarification at D23). Ep. 9 comes out May 2019, I'm sure Disney would love to have the land open at the same time to capitalize on cross-promotion. But I would not count on it being open so far in advance. If it doesn't opening...then what?

Given the insane crowds at Pandora's opening, just how bad will it be for SWL? Say it opens May or June 2019, how crowded do you realistically see it continuing to be in July or August?

Worse than Pandora. A LOT more excitement for SWL and a lot more cross-over appeal to fans and the general public. At Disneyland, with its tighter walkways, there is a belief they may have to restrict or time-slot entry in to the whole land because of crowds, maybe even roll back on AP availability.

It's a tough call. Personally, I like your idea of trips spaced 3 years apart (it usually takes 2-3 years before my DW have recovered enough to even consider the next trip).

Last edited:
I would be pleasantly surprised if SWLand opens at the end of 2019. I am expecting 2020
No matter when it opens it will be insanely busy and I would not be surprised if they do charge to go into this new land for the first couple of months, like a hard ticket. They have to manage the crowds somehow

I'm expecting 2020 too. I've seen many say so and it makes sense based on Disney's history.

You could go and skip DHS like we've done. You feel like there's plenty to do but you will be skipping it if you don't go at all anyway. We are pretty burnt out on most of the park nowadays.

I totally see this logic but it still bums me out. We're tentatively planning a big family trip for fall 2019 in anticipation of SWLand being open. My DH is like OP's - he doesn't see the need to go back until SWLand is open. We'll all just have to wait and see what happens.

As a super nerd and sci fi convention goer - SWL is going to be nuts in a way that even HP could never rival. You have to think there are cruises, conventions, organizations all over the world that are comprised solely of SW fans who will spend thousands on costumes, etc. SWL is going to be amazing - but nuts. That said, I hope ya'll get to see it! Are you sure you couldn't get him to do 3 trips? I mean vacation dollars are vacation dollars regardless of destination, right? Good luck!

I know for a fact that I will be attending whatever AP preview they offer for SWL. We opted to skip out on our Pandora preview and it was a mistake I'm still regretting, even though we thoroughly enjoyed opening weekend. I won't make that mistake for SWL. We will be there. We'll keep our AP going just for getting to the preview events

We are getting APs for the first time this year and I tell you I may renew just for SWL previews. I don't care what DH thinks. We can always just let his lapse...:rolleyes1

All you have to do is look at the crowds for the Star Wars convention this past April to tell you what it will look like at Disney once this land opens. People waited for hours to get in to an overflow room to watch a video of a panel of people talk about the movies.

To many what if's to plan on SW Land for 2019. If your flexible then waiting for 2019 might work but if your not and you have to go summer time, then I wouldn't plan on doing SW Land in 2019 as others have said, doesn't look like it will open that soon, late 2019 is what most people are hearing.

Maybe scale down the cost of your 2018 trip? Stay at Bonnet Creek through AirNB or similar. Eat outside of WDW a few times. Just make 2018 a less expensive trip, then come in swinging in 2020 for SWL.

So I showed this thread to DH. We're going next year as planned and we'll discuss a future trip at a later date. He has no interest in being caught up in insane crowds, and he also doesn't want to make the kids wait till 2020.

Very Smart move I think

So I showed this thread to DH. We're going next year as planned and we'll discuss a future trip at a later date. He has no interest in being caught up in insane crowds, and he also doesn't want to make the kids wait till 2020.

That's kind of our plan, too. DS and I are doing a nice trip this September. I've promised DW a blow out trip in Jan-Feb of 2021 so she's waiting for that trip (she's not much of a traveler). I want to wait until some of the SWL madness has died down a little - hopefully.

So, DH threw a bit of a curveball at me the other day and asked if maybe we could postpone our 2018 trip and instead wait until Star Wars Land opens. DH isn't a big theme park fan, but he does really want to see SWL. I told him I thought that we would go next summer and then maybe go again 2-3 years later to see it, maybe go for the 50th.

To which he replied, "Honestly? I think two trips is enough. I really don't feel like spending $15,000 on Disney vacations. It's enough what we'll spend on two! That money could go to other things."

*grumble, grumble*

Grumbling aside, I am willing to consider post poning until summer 2019, but I do have concerns about it, too. They are:

- We can only go in the summer. Do we even have an idea of the projected opening date? What are the chances of SWL even being open for summer 2019? And, when would we know for sure (as sure as we can get) what the realistic opening date will be?

- Given the insane crowds at Pandora's opening, just how bad will it be for SWL? Say it opens May or June 2019, how crowded do you realistically see it continuing to be in July or August?

I know there are no hard answers right now, but to me, these are things we really need to consider, because I am not willing to risk skipping out on 2018 if a) it's still not ready for summer or b) it's so crowded that we won't be able to enjoy it anyways. I'd rather try and take my chances on convincing him on a 3rd trip.
The plan is for SWL to open mid to late 2019.

Think Pandora and Potter but worse most likely.

Nobody knows when Star Wars Land will open except in 2019. Could be January, could be December.

As for how insane the crowds will be, I don't care. I will go when Star Wars Land opens. A wild gundark couldn't drag me away!

As for your husband's request, consider the following: Hollywood Studios is basically half a park at this point. The entire back is closed off for the Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land work. Why go now when you can wait?

We went to Universal when Wizarding World was under construction. In hindsight, we should have waited. We never got back.
It won't be January and it won't be December :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter