• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

We went on the 24th and it was great. We jumped on the Woody/Jessie line immediately and it was the longest wait of the morning. There were maybe 5 or 6 families ahead of us and it took a little over 25 minutes but I can’t complain because the character interaction was great, especially Woody. AS2 was down all morning but it didn’t seem like it increased the wait anywhere else. TMM was a walk-on and we rode SDD 3x. The first time was maybe a 15 min wait, the last about 5 min. I checked a couple of days prior and it was completely sold out but it didn’t seem crowded at all. Breakfast was great and it seemed completely empty. The only problem we encountered was I lost track of time and we got caught near the entrance when the RD stampede came through. A CM pulled one of my kids to the side and put him on a bench, terrifying DW because we couldn’t see him through the crowd, but it kept him from getting trampled. I would absolutely do it again if they continue after galaxy’s edge opens.
Was the land already open when you got there or a whole bunch of people went for W&J first?

We are going on Monday and plan on W&J first. 25 minutes waiting for them first thing would slash into my plan.

Does anyone think after my family gets done with EMM, we can rush to RNR and still get to the Frozen sing along for the 9:30 show?

What time does the rope drop crowd usually get in?

When we went we headed out of TSL around 8:30 and lined up for RnR. They held TSL ticket people in an area in front of the rope drop people. However the rope drop people were walked up to our group then we were ALL walked back together to the RnR and ToT. I hate rope droppers and as usual they were trying to run trying to push in front which we didn’t want to be a part of. We did get on fairly quickly however they did not stop us to watch the little video. It was playing but we walked right through which DD didn’t like but if she stopped to watch we’d be waiting 45 minutes. So we were able to basically just walk on and right over to ToT.

So you should have no trouble getting on RnR and over to Frozen by 9:30 if you follow our schedule.

Notably, although this thread is helpful it makes you feel frantic when you arrive that morning but there really is no reason for that.

Yes you can get in line and wait until they let you in TSL but we went against the advice here at my husbands insistence and grabbed a bite to eat and coffee and went to the restrooms before lining up and then got in line about 5-10 minutes before we were lead back. It did not seem to effect our rides times at all. Indeed, we walked to the right because all the Stroller’s had to go to the left and they were backing up that area. So we got in before many of the stroller people that were ahead of us in the line. We didn’t push or walk fast and neither did most of those around us. Everyone was enjoying the wonderful land. It is so cute.

The event really is enjoyable and relaxing like Disney circa 1990’s and earlier. So unless you need to post that you rode SDD 50 times during this event you will enjoy your experience without the craziness.

Also, since the land is not that large and there are only a few rides and meet and greets I really think the amount guests cannot really be expanded.

We were there on a sold out morning.

Last edited:
Was the land already open when you got there or a whole bunch of people went for W&J first?

We are going on Monday and plan on W&J first. 25 minutes waiting for them first thing would slash into my plan.

They let everyone into TSL a little after 7:20, while we were in the bathroom. We were there by 7:25 but by then we were behind the 8-ball so to speak. Woody & Jessie didn’t come out until 7:35 ish. I’ve read on here that the wait builds throughout the morning so we wanted to get that done first.

any reviews taking a child that can’t ride SDD?

Not a review, but we are attending one in July and will take our 3yo DD. She has also already met Woody and Jessie on a previous trip. So, we just plan to take her on the Saucers and TSMM more. MY DW doesn't like SDD anyway so it works out.

We were there on Monday with 4 kids, 2 who didn’t want to ride. They still had a great time riding Aliens and TSMM. I would definitely recommend it if there are others that want to ride SDD. My husband and I traded off so we both got to ride SDD 3 times each.

We were there on Monday with 4 kids, 2 who didn’t want to ride. They still had a great time riding Aliens and TSMM. I would definitely recommend it if there are others that want to ride SDD. My husband and I traded off so we both got to ride SDD 3 times each.
Thanks
Did you have any plan. We’ll want to meet the characters but I guess we’ll just swap on & off.

Thanks
Did you have any plan. We’ll want to meet the characters but I guess we’ll just swap on & off.

We got to the land at 7:25 and there was already 10 families in line to meet the characters. That wasn’t part of our plan but I imagine it would have been a 20 minute wait just for that if you arrived at a similar time. We all went on TSMM together and then I took the 2 kids and did SSD 2 times in a row while my husband took the other 2 on Aliens multiple times. Then we switched and I took 2 into TSMM twice. I went into SDD another time before the end. We could have done the rides More times but we were all happy and had enough by about 8:35. We hung out just marveling at all the details until the rope drop crowd entered at 8:50. Then we got a picture under the entrance sign and went to breakfast.

We got to the land at 7:25 and there was already 10 families in line to meet the characters. That wasn’t part of our plan but I imagine it would have been a 20 minute wait just for that if you arrived at a similar time. We all went on TSMM together and then I took the 2 kids and did SSD 2 times in a row while my husband took the other 2 on Aliens multiple times. Then we switched and I took 2 into TSMM twice. I went into SDD another time before the end. We could have done the rides More times but we were all happy and had enough by about 8:35. We hung out just marveling at all the details until the rope drop crowd entered at 8:50. Then we got a picture under the entrance sign and went to breakfast.
Thanks for sharing your experience. We are doing it on 7/1

Here now eating at backlot.

They aren’t restocking the cups past 9:45 today which was so weird.

We were the front of the pack and were first for J/W. Waited from 7:15ish-7:30 until they came out. Then 15 minute wait for Buzz. Then we did Slinky 4 times in a row until 8:45. Rope drop crowds still weren’t there. Did TSMM. Then Aliens with the rope droppers.

We had decided to not worry about Jedi Training and if the line was short we’d sign up. It was not short at 9:15. It was insanely long which we expected.

So we waited and then bailed. Got to breakfast around 9:30. It was insane and taking forever, they were not restocking any cold bar stuff.

Reactions: DLo

I haven't done the EMM at DHS since Toy Story Land opened, but a couple of years ago (pre-TSL) they did an EMM and TSM was one of the rides. My son (8 or 9 at the time) and I rode i over and over again (8 times total, didn't even have to get off) and had an absolute blast. So, it is definitely possible to still have a ton of fun with no SDD.

I want to make sure I understand how this works before my family attends in July. I understand that it doesn't matter if you have a 7:00 am or 7:30 am ticket but do they let you in at 7:00 if you want to go have breakfast first? If so, if you aren't allowed into TSL until 7:25 anyway what are the drawbacks of having breakfast from 7:00-7:25? It just doesn't sound like many people do this and I figure there is a good reason why. We have a Sci Fi ADR for noon so I'd rather eat breakfast early but I don't want to lose any EMM time either. Any advice or clarification is appreciated.

I want to make sure I understand how this works before my family attends in July. I understand that it doesn't matter if you have a 7:00 am or 7:30 am ticket but do they let you in at 7:00 if you want to go have breakfast first? If so, if you aren't allowed into TSL until 7:25 anyway what are the drawbacks of having breakfast from 7:00-7:25? It just doesn't sound like many people do this and I figure there is a good reason why. We have a Sci Fi ADR for noon so I'd rather eat breakfast early but I don't want to lose any EMM time either. Any advice or clarification is appreciated.

I would not waste the time for breakfast first (except maybe a quick cup of coffee and some fruit) We have never done HS EMM, but have done MK many times. We always ride first and then go to breakfast. If I was you, I would try of a later lunch or earlier dinner at Sci Fi.

Here’s the summary from Page 1 that generally (key word) still applies:

How Does It Work When I Arrive / Event Logistics?
  • These details can vary by a few minutes on any given day, but generally speaking:
    • 6:45-6:50'ish - they'll let you in the front park gate
    • Breakfast is available at this point if so inclined
    • 7:10-7:25'ish - they'll let you past the Chinese Theater and head towards TSL

It seems like we’ve seen more 7:20+ land entering times lately, but this has tended to vary over time. So in short, if you want to eat I’d arrive 6:30-40isg, be among the first in, go eat with some haste, then make your way over to the land.

How much you want to eat before multiple SDD and TSM rides is a personal choice - choose wisely! Lol!

I would not waste the time for breakfast first (except maybe a quick cup of coffee and some fruit) We have never done HS EMM, but have done MK many times. We always ride first and then go to breakfast. If I was you, I would try of a later lunch or earlier dinner at Sci Fi.
Good idea, we can at least grab something so I don't have any cranky ones. Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter