Did what I said I would never do...

We bought AUL direct on a DCL cruise on impulse and then discovered the DVC boards and I was like "oh wow, haha, oops, guess I'll never do that again" and then we bought two resale contracts but it was less than a full year before we ended up buying more direct VGF points to stave off future just-in-case FOMO.

We still haven't stayed at RIV but we did get off the Skyliner on our last trip and my kids were very wowed by it and really want to stay there, plus I read somewhere that they have a Pascal themed scavenger hunt that sounds like fun... so obviously I really needed the direct points afterall.

We bought AUL direct on a DCL cruise on impulse and then discovered the DVC boards and I was like "oh wow, haha, oops, guess I'll never do that again" and then we bought two resale contracts but it was less than a full year before we ended up buying more direct VGF points to stave off future just-in-case FOMO.

We still haven't stayed at RIV but we did get off the Skyliner on our last trip and my kids were very wowed by it and really want to stay there, plus I read somewhere that they have a Pascal themed scavenger hunt that sounds like fun... so obviously I really needed the direct points afterall.
We've stayed there, but my son and his family haven't. But we did the same thing our last trip with them, hopped off the Skyliner and looked around. They were wowed as well, which was the final straw that pushed us to buy RIV. Plenty of years left for them to use after we're gone (and with us in the mean time 🤣) We are all staying there together in November, everyone is very excited.

I don't know if restrictions have been good for Disney overall, but they worked perfectly on me and quite a few others here on the board for sure. With the sad so called perks you get now, I wouldn't even consider direct if I weren't locked out of RIV and future resorts.

They are masters at creating FOMO.

I too have drunk the Kool aid on the dark side and bought direct, also at RIV. I also purchased a 50pt resale there since I never mind staying there.
I wouldn't rule out a small resale contract down the road if prices get low after it's sold out.

Now I wonder how close Riv gets to a sell-out after this sales cycle given how many of us they've turned - small sample size yes but the sales incentives are clearly effective at getting folks on the fence like me to jump.

Now I wonder how close Riv gets to a sell-out after this sales cycle given how many of us they've turned - small sample size yes but the sales incentives are clearly effective at getting folks on the fence like me to jump.
Not as close as you think. Still plenty of undeclared units.
___

Years on the boards have shown; it doesn't matter what DVC raises the DVC-Y minimum to-- FOMO will always win out and get the direct purchase. #Team25ptHybrid

Congrats to all.

#Team25ptHybrid
🙋‍♀️

I wouldn't rule out a small resale contract down the road if prices get low after it's sold out.
I said this from early 2019 until April 2019....

Because I was also #Team25pt hybrid, I didn't even NEED to buy Riviera direct, except I did. We did the tour, ate ice cream, got a ton of FPs (we had to re-sign something so we got more FPs for that)... the rest of that trip, with park levels around 9-10 (honestly it felt like 7-8), we FP'd everything after signing. And we booked our NYE stay hours (?) after signing. oh well.

Bought 175 direct points at RIV 😎

I was a resale for life guy, but the restrictions worked perfectly on us. Stupid Disney FOMO.

Reasons:
  • Decent price after incentives. Not as good as last summer, but I figure the best we'll see on RIV for a while. Even if they come out with better incentives, likely the price will have gone up by then so 🤷‍♂️. I know the smart thing would be to wait until right before the summer incentives start to see, but we have a November trip we wanted to book before the 7 month window opened.
  • Magical Beginnings. Don't need the first year points, so $3500 coming back is not too shabby. We had April Use year but went with June for this so we could get 2023 points to use for MB. I don't think the juggling will be bad, we will rarely need to combine the points.
  • We love RIV. I wish we didn't so we could stay resale, but we do. Love the Skyliner, the pools, the dining, the rooms, the compact footprint, and the vibe.
  • Poly 2 being same association. (I consider it a done deal) We were fired up about Poly 2 but no interest in competing with millions of existing points at 11 months on day 1. If it turns out not to be an issue, can always get resale, or just take our chances at 7 months.
Man the direct process is super easy. TOO easy if you ask me. We should be good on points for at least a few years though. (Famous last words)
We did the same twice in the last year. I agree with all your points. Resale just didn't even make sense with the incentives we got and resale prices being fairly high still with restrictions IMO.

We've stayed there, but my son and his family haven't. But we did the same thing our last trip with them, hopped off the Skyliner and looked around. They were wowed as well, which was the final straw that pushed us to buy RIV. Plenty of years left for them to use after we're gone (and with us in the mean time 🤣) We are all staying there together in November, everyone is very excited.

I don't know if restrictions have been good for Disney overall, but they worked perfectly on me and quite a few others here on the board for sure. With the sad so called perks you get now, I wouldn't even consider direct if I weren't locked out of RIV and future resorts.

They are masters at creating FOMO.
I guess I am the outlier. We stayed at RIV a few years back and quite honestly just didn't think it was any better than any of the other resorts, but with a much higher point chart.

But, then again, I am the crazy person that chose SSR over BWV, CCV, BLT, BRV, RIV, PVB, OKW, AKL and VGF (all had studios available at 7 months) for our stay next month...

However, we always drive, and I think that makes a BIG difference in what we like...

I guess I am the outlier. We stayed at RIV a few years back and quite honestly just didn't think it was any better than any of the other resorts, but with a much higher point chart.

But, then again, I am the crazy person that chose SSR over BWV, CCV, BLT, BRV, RIV, PVB, OKW, AKL and VGF (all had studios available at 7 months) for our stay next month...

However, we always drive, and I think that makes a BIG difference in what we like...
Just be grateful you didn't fall for a place with expensive charts. I wish I loved OKW 😭. Our value one is definitely AKL but RIV.. Aulani.. and Poly soon.. I can feel a disturbance in the force.. like my wallet's evaporating.

But, then again, I am the crazy person that chose SSR over BWV, CCV, BLT, BRV, RIV, PVB, OKW, AKL and VGF
All of this!
Besides Bar Riva the Riviera does not do it for me.
And I will gladly stay at SSR! Love it!

Just be grateful you didn't fall for a place with expensive charts. I wish I loved OKW 😭. Our value one is definitely AKL but RIV.. Aulani.. and Poly soon.. I can feel a disturbance in the force.. like my wallet's evaporating.
Oh, we did, but it's Aulani and fortunately, I have had good luck at getting in on a 2Bdrm at 7 months....

As to SSR, it is almost a different place after the refurb. We love the rooms. Staying there twice this summer...

Oh, we did, but it's Aulani and fortunately, I have had good luck at getting in on a 2Bdrm at 7 months....

As to SSR, it is almost a different place after the refurb. We love the rooms. Staying there twice this summer...
Oh I love SSR too. SSR was our first true DVC stay and it was in a 1BR for 8 nights. It's a great resort but I don't book it unless it's the only thing left that's available because I know sooner or later we will have multiple last minute stays at SSR that aren't by choice. I would not feel bad at all using my points there though but it's just my personal opinion on booking it.

Hey we all like what we like. Lots of people don't like Riviera for various reasons. We don't like to drive to the parks even if we have a car, so location/transportation options are big for us.

Roll Tide!

Hey we all like what we like. Lots of people don't like Riviera for various reasons. We don't like to drive to the parks even if we have a car, so location/transportation options are big for us.

Roll Tide!
Oh, I don't dislike RIV, it's just that for us, there are other options that we like just as well or better that are less points.

But that's just us. Everyone is different, it's the beauty of the system.

And... Roll Tide!!!

I bought two 150 point contracts a few weeks ago at Riv! They are our first DVC contracts. So glad I bought direct and not resale Riv - our first stay is actually going to be in Hilton Head this fall (with a 1 BR booked at Riv over new years).

We may add some resale points somewhere at some point, but honestly I think we are going to be good for a while with the Riv points.

I bought two 150 point contracts a few weeks ago at Riv! They are our first DVC contracts. So glad I bought direct and not resale Riv - our first stay is actually going to be in Hilton Head this fall (with a 1 BR booked at Riv over new years).

We may add some resale points somewhere at some point, but honestly I think we are going to be good for a while with the Riv points.
I did the same thing with VGF last summer. And I thought I would be good for a while with 300 points. That was quite a few points ago, lol.

Whatever you do, don't buy an annual pass!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter