Dieting for Disney

Well gang: I actually did it..said I would go to the gym..kept my word...went this morning (after TWO months away from it) and walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes. (All I could do today) And I am feeling a def NEW beginning here with getting back to the gym. Wore my pedimeter and walked 6273 steps...whheeewww..yeahhh for me. Now to just please please keep this UP!!

Everyone out there..GOOD LUCK!!! Reading this thread keeps me inspired. Keep it going. pixiedust:

Part of me didn't even want to click on this thread because I might not be ready to talk about it! LOL!!!

I am going in only 70 days and I also want to lose weight - probably 15 pounds if that is possible. The bad thing is that I KNOW what to do to lose weight and am just simply not doing it. I started doing better with my food and no treats (since Christmas I am just so unhappy!) to speak of, but I am not excercising at all. I used to excercise 4-5 times a week. I do it at home and my 3yo doesn't like me to do it, so I just use that as an excuse to not even bother. A few weeks ago I did it two mornings in a row and then I didn't feel well the 3rd morning and just STOPPED. *sigh*

My clothes still fit, but they don't fit how I like and I would NOT wear a bathing suit right now. Tried mine on and succeeded in getting myself even MORE depressed about the whole thing. I was perfectly fine this time last year. I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. Part of it is I am depressed because I have gained weight and I put alot of emphasis on that unfortunately, and so it just becomes a self-fulfilling thing.

Reading this I think I might sashay on over to that Wish board and join in ... it helps to have support!

How much can I try to lose by May 4th anyway? Anyone know any calorie calculator or something I can try out?

I'd really recommend Confessions of a Reformed Dieter : How I Dropped Eight Dress Sizes and Took My Life Back by A.J. Rochester. It's got some great motivational stuff in it. It is also very very funny. And for someone who is looking for a plan to follow this might work for them. But even if you want to stick with the plan you are on, it's a really great read. It's an import, so might be a bit hard to find, but Amazon.com has some copies in their "Marketplace"

Mel

Everyone of you are amazing!! I have always been a firm believer in the first step to fixing any problem is to admit that there is a problem. Healthy living has got to not only be a mind set for you but also something that you desire from your heart. As I have said, I have been doing this for about 6 years and I have been going up and down on the scale but the bodyfat stays about the same. (I guess that is the life of a somewhat scaled down bodybuilder wannabe.) I will have to admit that I was in my best shape ever last June went to WDW. This year, I am hoping to have more muscle and more definition to my frame. As I was growing up, I was always the "fat kid" or the "Slob" that everyone wanted to be friends with but no one ever really noticed. I can remember a time in high school when I was walking to class in the hallway I stopped and said, "Hey!" to one of the prettiest girls in school. Her reply was, "Shut up, Fatso!" You know, I have always made a point to kind of make fun of myself in order to get a laugh or a smile out of people. I will do anything to make them laugh. ( I am a misassigned comedian that isn't funny enough to make it in the comedy world.) But that one statement by that one girl has messed me up everyday since then. It is impossible for me to have the courage to even go say hey to the pretty girls at my gym. In a lot of ways, I feel like I can't get big enough or tight enough to ever shake that image. I guess all I have ever wanted (and remember, I am a guy) is to have somebody just say something like, "You're looking good." Well, I am going to say that to all of you now, "YOU ARE LOOKING GREAT!! I AM PROUD OF YOUR SUCCESS!!" But with a support group like this, I realize that it isn't always about what others think. I have to remember that I have a wife that loves me very much so why should I care about what eveyone else may think. The answer to that is obvious. It is peer pressure. I guess I have said all this to say that everyone of you are winners. You are doing something that most people in America feel like is a waste of time. They don't want to take time to think about what they are eating or if they need to go to the gym and exercise or even just walk around a track to burn off some calories. Those of you have said that you have children, you are truly an inspiration. I know as well as you do why we are going through the "pains" of exercise and working out. Very simply put, we want to see our children grow up. We want to be there with them for all of their needs and accomplishments. You men and women are the cream of the crop in my book. Let's keep it up so we can succeed not only in this goal but in life as well. Patience is a virtue. Everything worth having is worth working "hard" for.

Good luck with your goals!

Oooh, count me in! I've lost nine pounds since January 1st. :cool1:

One of the things I've done is cut out all soft drinks even diet soda. They say that the carbonation causes you to be nearly ten pounds heavier than you would be if you didn't drink it. The carbonation supposedly stays in your body long after you've drank it and keeps you bloated. So if you cut out the soda and stick to uncarbonated drinks like juice and water (I've stuck with water because most juices are so high in sugar) you will start losing some weight without even changing the rest of your diet. I've only had three soft drinks since January 1st. Pretty good since I used to live on Diet Coke! I feel a lot healthier and not nearly as bloated.

I've also been eating more foods like rice and oatmeal that are lower in calories and fat, and they help to make you feel fuller faster. I definitely agree with the theory that you shouldn't deprive yourself. If you get frustrated, the diet will go out the window. So let yourself splurge once in a while. :thumbsup2

I am having a rough day. I went to Wal-Mart and got groceries this morning and I really did avoid getting a bunch of junk, but then I just crave everything. It is soooo hard to be home all day with a 4 year old and not snack!

mytwotinks said:
I am having a rough day. I went to Wal-Mart and got groceries this morning and I really did avoid getting a bunch of junk, but then I just crave everything. It is soooo hard to be home all day with a 4 year old and not snack!

I know exactly what you mean. I was off today as well and even though my kids were in school, I wanted to snack the whole time I was here. What I did was eat my bowl of oatmeal with a protein shake and then I got out of the house. When I picked up my kids, I had already been to the gym to exercise but I didn't do any cardio. I saved that. I got my kids and we went to their school and went to the track. My daughter and I walked around the track for a mile while my son played on the playground. The reason we did it that way is because we are taking just my daughter on this trip, just like we did my son last year. I am just trying to get her ready so she want be so tired all the time.

As far as snacking, it is ok to snack some. Just watch what you are snacking on. Eat some fruit or vegetables. Make a half a sandwich without mayo and cheese. Just snack on healthy choices. Good luck and keep up the good work. :thumbsup2 :cool1:

I just thought that I would also join in by saying I need to lose too. I would love to have 20 pounds off by the time we go in June. I have been trying to lose this last 20 for a long time, baby will turn three in May. I just don't know what else to do, and when I think of something I run out of time. I am trying to walk on the treadmill for at least 30 min 4-5 a week, I have pretty much given up all my diet coke and now drink water/milk/crystal light. I try to avoid fried foods, but I crave salt so bad so every now and then I just can't help it. I am open for any suggestions, June gets closer but I havn't lost anything.

Hesitantly sticking my toe in the water here. I too know what to do, it's just starting. :scared:
We're going to Vegas in July, and Disney in December. I will have to make it over to the wish board and subscribe to this thread for inspiration. God Bless us all! :grouphug:
Nancy

I don't usually get into these sharing threads/ groups, but I'm feeling inspired now. I am planning a surprise anniversary trip for DW and me this summer (no kids this time :woohoo: ). I don't know yet whether the trip will be in June or August.

Anyhow, I need to drop about 70 lbs total, but my goal is to lose 35 by the time we take the trip. My method so far: only fast food is Subway (used to eating Bojangle's biscuits a lot); severely limit red meat intake; eliminate non-diet soda; EXERCISE (this is a biggie for me -I now walk vigorously at least 30 minutes a day); intentionally reduce portions at meals. I've only been at this a little over a week, so its not like I've seen big changes yet. But I've lost 3 pounds. Hey! I'll take it. :woohoo:

Oh, and good luck to all who have posted on meeting their goals!

We went out today as a family and spent some time together. One of the things we did was to stop and get something to eat. As I was ordering, I started thinking about my resolution to get in shape. With that in mind, I ordered a roasted piece of chicken with some green beans and some baked beans. It was good, good for you and healthy.

Keep up the good work everybody!!!

Okay so DD and I have had a bad week - both out with colds. So this meant very little exercise for me. My goals for this week are to get to the gym at least four times and weather permitting walking with dd. ALso I want to increase my water intake. I am a soda drinker. I know if I cut this out it will only help me! Here's to a good week everyone!

What an inspiring thread! I've lost 15 pounds and over 16 inches since mid-January doing the Curves nutritional plan & exercise. Honestly it's been easy. Have a long way to go, but a great start for only 6 weeks.

To the mom who said she won't go to a waterpark because she feels uncomfortable. That was me before. I got over it. I'm there to have fun with my family and I found a very cute swimsuit with a skirt. I don't think it is old-ladyish, and I'm 40ish. Landend.com. Go there, get a suit and get in the water! You can do it!

Doing South Beach diet in preparation for June trip-hope to be at my goal by then-have already lost 17 pounds this month. I'm on the 10 lb/month home stretch. I find South Beach is much healthier and easier to stick to than Atkin's.

Echoing the swimsuit thoughts scattered throughout this thread in relation to the water parks...

I know that I sound like a broken record but you are all amazing. You are the minorty of the population that has made it a point to try to live a healthy lifestyle. I have become addicted to checking this thread every night to see another person's testimony on what they are doing. It does me good to read the trials and successes that we are having. Dieting, exercising, and eating healthy does have its own up and down cycles. Somedays you will do everything perfectly and other days you will cheat. Today was sort of my cheat day. I didn't eat a lot but I did indulge in 2 slices of pizza and a lot of grapes. It isn't something that I am too worried about because come tomorrow, I will be back in the gym doing my workout and cardio. Plus, knowing that I have a place like this that can help hold me accountable in my efforts. I may have thought of the idea to re-start this thread from last year but it is all of you that have kept it going.

You are all winners!!

Wow - you all are so amazing and I am looking forward to the support you all are giving and good luck to ALL. :cheer2:

I had lost 23 pounds from Sept to Feb before we went to WDW -- ok lost, gained and lost the same 3 pounds over Christmas ... but WDW and the Dining Plan really threw me off! Desset with EVERY meal (lunch and dinner!). Even with all the walking (ALOT!) I ... ummmm ... came back 5 pounds heavier! :scared:

How do you all deal with that temptation so next time I go I am not so bad?? Got back a week ago and DH had a cold and it was freezing weather so have not gotten back into walking again either!!! I have to get back on the healthy bandwagon!

We changed our eating habits like others said. Smaller portions and I went low carb (but not NO CARB!). I have to lose what I gained at WDW and do have a much larger goal to achieve.

Any snack/meal tips to share? Here is mine: Since I couldn't give up bread, I use Pepperidge Farm Extra Thin (either white or wheat - DH hates wheat!) for lunch sandwiches and toast in the morning. I feel less deprived cause I still have TWO slices!

It's so nice to know we're not alone in this. :hug: Count me in. I have gained 30lbs in 2 years since starting this office job. :eek: And I wasn't a skinny minnie before that! I don't want to focus too much on numbers, more on what looks and feels healthy, but if I had to estimate, I'd say my goal is 60-70 lbs. At almost 5 ft 9" with a starting weight of 200, I hope that's reasonable. I've already lost 9 lbs this year, but my weakness is the sweet stuff, ESPECIALLY chocolate. I live at home with my folks and sisters, and we're all junk food junkies. I'm trying to convince my mom to stop buying all the candy and get exercising with me, but the most work out she gets is in her rocking chair!!

I've been trying to eat more friut and veggies, and eliminate the chocolate. :crazy2: I do ok until I get home. Commuting to the city to work full time plus attending grad school at night tends to stress me out and lends to emotional eating and cut into exercise time, but I'm fighting my laziness to get on that bike every night I don't have class. (On those nights I'm gone from 6:40 am til 11 pm). I think having a group of fine folks working toward similar goals will help me lose 50 lbs by my August 18th trip. I need all the motivational help I can get, because I often find comfort in the recliner and a candy bar at the end of a long day, and don't want to be bothered with that darn bike! But here's some pixie dust for all of us pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

It's not easy, but it is attainable. Good luck everyone. We can do it! :thumbsup2 :cheer2: :banana: :goodvibes

BELLAROSE23

I wouldn't "give up" chocolate. If you do you will crave it & break your healthy eating to get it. Instead try to incorporate it into your diet.

I am a severe chocoholic & I have to have chocolate every day and I continue to loose by doing do. For dessert I have fat free chocolate pudding with a dab of cool whip free on top, fat free hot chocolate, 2 or 3 dove dark chocolate pieces, or 2-3 of the hersheys dark with almonds. Does the trick & doesn't ruin my diet. (I am doing ww's & everything listed isn't more than 2 or 3 points). Enjoy what you eat & you won't feel deprived & eat more later. :goodvibes

Well, I have stuck to my calorie, 1190, but this weekend was my son's third birthday. We went to chuck e. cheese and I ate pizza and cake. It was only two pieces and a sliver of cake, but I still feel guilty. I also made a big dinner because there was alot of family in from out of town. I ate spagetti and meatballs. During the whole weekend I stayed within my calories but I could have made better choices so I feel guilty. I have decided to start doing what they made us do in boot camp from my days of being in the air force. We were made to drink two glasses of water before we could eat, and two with our meal. It really fills you up so you don't over eat. I will let you kow how that works.
I do my weekly weight-in tomorrow I doubt I lost anything I don't feel like it. One bright spot in the weekend, everyone that came here from out of town commented on the weight I have lost, and said I look really good. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter