DIGITAL Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: In Effect as of June 16th

So RS is completely useless to us now considering its normally just the two of us and our infant daughter, we ride the bigger rides when she's napping or otherwise needs a break. Giving us such a narrow window and also preventing us from going back to back means we pretty much will never have the opportunity to use the system since it's highly unlikely she'll sleep long enough or otherwise have the patience to wait (or if the return is far enough out she'll likely be done for the day/need to head back to the room)

Our next trip is 3 adults and 1 infant, in this scenario I also don't see any realistic value, the 2nd party consisting of just the one allowed Adult would end up with a fp window probably conflicting with other plans and they would be forced to ride alone if both of the other adults rode in group one right? Might as well make FP's for all 3 adults and try and show up early in the window..or use single rider if available.

So RS is completely useless to us now considering its normally just the two of us and our infant daughter, we ride the bigger rides when she's napping or otherwise needs a break. Giving us such a narrow window and also preventing us from going back to back means we pretty much will never have the opportunity to use the system since it's highly unlikely she'll sleep long enough or otherwise have the patience to wait (or if the return is far enough out she'll likely be done for the day/need to head back to the room)

Our next trip is 3 adults and 1 infant, in this scenario I also don't see any realistic value, the 2nd party consisting of just the one allowed Adult would end up with a fp window probably conflicting with other plans and they would be forced to ride alone if both of the other adults rode in group one right? Might as well make FP's for all 3 adults and try and show up early in the window..or use single rider if available.

I agree. I think making staggered FPs makes more sense.

If the return window start time is based on the posted wait time for what line (FP OR standby) the first group entered, then the second group *should* be able to ride immediately after. For instance if the standby is 55 mins, then RS window starts in 45 mins and lasts an hour. If the first group rides FP and the wait time is 15 mins then the RS window would start in 5 mins and last an hour. In either case, the RS window would open 10 mins before the first group is expected to make it through the line which would cover for some of the inflated posted wait times.

I imagine every now and then if the posted waits are a lot longer than the actual wait then the first group might be done with a bit of time before the window starts for the second group. Likewise, if the actual wait is a lot longer than the posted wait (definitely thinking those FP rides with pre-shows like FOP and Soarin which may only have a 10 or 15 min posted wait but might take 30-45 mins to go through), then the second group might be shafted with little time left to return through their window. I'm hoping the CMs will be lenient with things like that though.

She clearly said standby line (and we were discussing FPs)...for most attractions it should not be too bad, but for FOP and TSL attractions it could be a mess.

Katelin at 11:40, Jul 2:
The return window will last one hour and will begin at the current standby wait minus 10 minutes. For example, if the standby wait at an attraction is 65 minutes, the return window will begin in 55 minutes.

She clearly said standby line (and we were discussing FPs)...for most attractions it should not be too bad, but for FOP and TSL attractions it could be a mess.

Katelin at 11:40, Jul 2:
The return window will last one hour and will begin at the current standby wait minus 10 minutes. For example, if the standby wait at an attraction is 65 minutes, the return window will begin in 55 minutes.
It's an online Disney chat rep. They likely misspoke.

We should assume everyone at Disney is incompetent then, since she went and double checked before she gave me that information...

You at 11:34, Jul 2:
I read something about the return window depending on the standby wait, is this correct?
Katelin at 11:36, Jul 2:
One moment please while I verify this.

Seriously, the individual guest experience may vary, but this is probably how the program is designed to work...

We should assume everyone at Disney is incompetent then, since she went and double checked before she gave me that information...
You should take everything a phone (or chat) CM tells you with a grain of salt.

I read something about the return window depending on the standby wait, is this correct?

Seriously, the individual guest experience may vary, but this is probably how the program is designed to work...

Or, since you said the word standby when you framed that particular question to her and she didn't know the answer, she asked whoever also using the word standby in the question. That person may have been referring to if the first group rides standby then the RS is based on the standby time. It very well could all be a miscommunication and that's what I'm betting on given other people's first hand accounts of their experiences with not having to wait for their return window.

The Attraction CM has to see the too-short kid and then links a Swap entitlement to each Swap rider’s MDX Profile.

What if the kids are just afraid? My two kids are tall enough for most of the coasters in WDW, but they are too scared of roller coasters. They can't wait by themselves while my husband and I go on the rides, so I was hoping to use rider swap so we don't have to wait twice for every roller coaster.

What if the kids are just afraid? My two kids are tall enough for most of the coasters in WDW, but they are too scared of roller coasters. They can't wait by themselves while my husband and I go on the rides, so I was hoping to use rider swap so we don't have to wait twice for every roller coaster.

The way it typically worked in the past is everyone goes through the queue together and one adult waits with those tall enough but too scared at the loading platform while the other adult rides. When they get back, the adults switch right away. The second adult wouldn't have to then wait in the FP line with a RS pass because they'd already be at the ride. There's not a need for an actual RS pass because the switch can happen at the boarding area and everyone is tall enough to enter the queue. With a too short kid, they can't enter the queue, hence the need for the pass.

Now, whether or not it works the same with the new digital policy, I dont think anyone has reported. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

The way it typically worked in the past is everyone goes through the queue together and one adult waits with those tall enough but too scared at the loading platform while the other adult rides. When they get back, the adults switch right away. The second adult wouldn't have to then wait in the FP line with a RS pass because they'd already be at the ride. There's not a need for an actual RS pass because the switch can happen at the boarding area and everyone is tall enough to enter the queue. With a too short kid, they can't enter the queue, hence the need for the pass.

Now, whether or not it works the same with the new digital policy, I dont think anyone has reported. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

Oh, that's even better! Perfect :)

So I just got off an online chat with a Disney agent about RS. I couldn't screenshot it before the message disappeared, but here's a summary of it:

1) Told all riders need FP to utilize RS.
2) Told the ONLY change to RS is that it's now digital.
3) Told that RS allows for up to 3 riders and referred to the website policy.
4) Told that RS return window is valid until the end of the day and ALWAYS based on standby wait time.
5) Told that if using FP, the return window is the scheduled FP time, if using standby then return time is based on the posted standby wait.
6) Told that second group does not need FP.

I'm pretty sure that person didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Everytime I asked a question or for clarification, they had an answer that contradicted their last answer. This is precisely why so many on here don't give a lot of credence to what Disney agents say through chat, email, and phone.

So I just got off an online chat with a Disney agent about RS. I couldn't screenshot it before the message disappeared, but here's a summary of it:

1) Told all riders need FP to utilize RS.
2) Told the ONLY change to RS is that it's now digital.
3) Told that RS allows for up to 3 riders and referred to the website policy.
4) Told that RS return window is valid until the end of the day and ALWAYS based on standby wait time.
5) Told that if using FP, the return window is the scheduled FP time, if using standby then return time is based on the posted standby wait.
6) Told that second group does not need FP.

I'm pretty sure that person didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Everytime I asked a question or for clarification, they had an answer that contradicted their last answer. This is precisely why so many on here don't give a lot of credence to what Disney agents say through chat, email, and phone.

I can’t imagine that #5 is accurate. If the entire party shows up toward the end of the FP window, there’s no way the swap can be completed within the window!

I got this email response today...it made no sense and totally contradicted the chat...so yes, I guess no one knows what's going on...at least not customer service CMs

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

Thank you for letting us know that you are interested in more information on our Rider Switch program. If all Guests in the party have a FastPass+ selection, then the Rider Switch is not necessary because everyone will just use their FastPass+ selection. Rider Switch is for when you will be waiting in the standby queue. Becuase of this, if anyone will be using a FastPass+, everyone that wants to ride will need a FastPass+ selection. The Rider Swap entitlement will not interfere with your FastPass+ selections. When you get the Rider Switch entitlement you can use it when the other family members return from riding the attraction.

Parties with more than 2 Guests may be able to take advantage of the attraction Rider Switch program, which enables you to experience an attraction while another member of your party waits with the Guest who does not ride. You then “swap” to enable the other party member to enjoy the attraction without having to wait in line again.

We used it several times.

Our whole group had fast pass (even my non-rider)

Group #1 was my husband, my sister, my son and nephew. All with their fast passes. (I waited with my daughter)

Group #2 was me with my son and nephew riding again (using the rider swap entitlement that’s had been added to their band).

We are going again on Saturday. This time, I booked a different fast pass for my daughter and myself while everyone else rides space mountain with fast pass.

I’m still going to try to get rider swap so I can ride space mountain - but not sure what will happen since I won’t have a space mountain FP. I’ll report back.

Edited to add: my daughter is tall enough for the rides we used digital rider swap on - she’s just too scared to ride (Big Thunder, splash, expedition Everest...)

So I apologize to everyone in advance for this question but after reading 7 pages I still don't quite know the answer to this.

So my situation would be 3 adults and 1 child. If adults 1 and 2 wanted to go on a ride using Fastpass and seek a child swap pass for the third Adult so that the third adult could ride with either or adults one or two, what will happen under rhe new system?

thanks in advance for the help!

This is very much how the DAS works so I totally could imagine them using the same algorithm to determine times after entering the system via the RS portal. This makes sense and what I would have expected.

I got this email response today...it made no sense and totally contradicted the chat...so yes, I guess no one knows what's going on...at least not customer service CMs

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

Thank you for letting us know that you are interested in more information on our Rider Switch program. If all Guests in the party have a FastPass+ selection, then the Rider Switch is not necessary because everyone will just use their FastPass+ selection. Rider Switch is for when you will be waiting in the standby queue. Becuase of this, if anyone will be using a FastPass+, everyone that wants to ride will need a FastPass+ selection. The Rider Swap entitlement will not interfere with your FastPass+ selections. When you get the Rider Switch entitlement you can use it when the other family members return from riding the attraction.

Parties with more than 2 Guests may be able to take advantage of the attraction Rider Switch program, which enables you to experience an attraction while another member of your party waits with the Guest who does not ride. You then “swap” to enable the other party member to enjoy the attraction without having to wait in line again.

WELL ...................... not so sure it's a contradiction but rather has a missing component.

RS was started specifically for SB lines and when there was no FP. Technically with FP+ one does not need RS.

For best customer service adding a RS to one's already booked FP+ helps you (1) avoid missing your window on popular rides (2) allows you to take someone with you if your group is not large enough to split with riding buddies.

The missing component is that they are allowing RS with FP+ based on reports ............ just so far they haven't fully committed in theory or in published writing what that policy is .... It may be that your email - which is like others emails is the way they intend ........ but so far it doesn't seem to often enforced.

Last edited:
Are they doing anything to prevent the old "leave the line" trick? That is why they started using the lanyard system, but if they are now giving the RSes out at the host station, couldn't you just get the entitlement then leave the line and come back later with the RS?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter