Dining Plan now available for DVC stays

Miffy2003

<font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak
*$37.99/Adult & $10.99/Child (ages 3-9)

**Dining must be purchased for: Length of Stay & All Persons Registered in room

***NOT tied into ANY ticket (i.e. you can use MYW tix, AP/PAP's whatever to utilize the parks - but, don't have to purchase ANY ADDITIONAL PARK TICKETS in order to purchase the plan).

****You can book beginning in January for April, 2006, usage.

(Pinched from another thread ;) )

Anyone going to use this?? I don't think I will as I think it could be restrictive (in case we want to eat offsite for example). For short trips I think it could be ideal but I just don't know for trips of 2 weeks plus.

What does anyone think?

I agree that it might be restrictive for a stay of more than a few nights.

However, as we always split our stays between more than one resort, I could see how this might work quite well for a portion of our trip - maybe if we were staying in BWV or BCV and knew we'd be likely to eat in Epcot most days :)

We will be off site for 16 nights before moving to OKW for 8 nights so we would probably use it and save most of our on-site dining for when we were at OKW. I copied an excel spread sheet from the Dining plan thread on the Disney Restaurants Board and will do the math's but I think it will be worth our while.

If we were on site for longer I might think again and even if it were available I wouldn't use it for our Vero stay.

PS - for got to add that both kids will still be classed as "kids" 8 & 9 so that also makes a difference

I'd have to think about this. It sounds a nice idea but we really don't eat that much and I'm not sure we'd manage a 3 course meal every night, plus the counter service and snacks.

I suspect, though not sure yet, that we'll stick with the DDE if it's still available.

We are staying at SSR resort and hope to use a lot of the crossroads restaurants. We have friends with us this year but could be something we would be interested in maybe the year after. Nice to know that Disney still think of DVC members.

Susan

gilld said:
I'm not sure we'd manage a 3 course meal every night, plus the counter service and snacks.

I am pretty sure we COULD manage, but the availability starts in April, and we are going in March!!! So we will have to go with the DDE card this time... and I won't even get discounted alcoholic beverages, as I am pregnant :rotfl:

ElenaP

I'm almost sorry they are offering this ;) Can't resist a good deal but I have enough trouble with my weight without the temptation of so much food because it's a bargain!

A few weeks ago I was getting a salad (I need a halo here) at Liberty Inn, Epcot when the person next in line ordered a bacon double cheeseburger meal and fries. The cashier reminded her that as she was on the dining plan she was allowed a dessert too. She then added strawberry shortcake to her order. I could do this all too easily I'm afraid :) The plan also includes a snack and a full service 3 course meal in the same day if I've got it right.

Now I know it's not compulsory to choose her menu, but oh the temptation! I hope they keep the DDE as well - I can cope with that :)

Pootle said:
I'm almost sorry they are offering this ;) Can't resist a good deal but I have enough trouble with my weight without the temptation of so much food because it's a bargain!

A few weeks ago I was getting a salad (I need a halo here) at Liberty Inn, Epcot when the person next in line ordered a bacon double cheeseburger meal and fries. The cashier reminded her that as she was on the dining plan she was allowed a dessert too. She then added strawberry shortcake to her order. I could do this all too easily I'm afraid :) The plan also includes a snack and a full service 3 course meal in the same day if I've got it right.

Now I know it's not compulsory to choose her menu, but oh the temptation! I hope they keep the DDE as well - I can cope with that :)
LOL! I know exactly what you mean! ;)

Pootle said:

Exactly - we try really hard not to over eat anywhere but particularly in the USA where they have such obscene portions anyway. We are tempted, as we like to eat at "nice" places, but will have to consider carefully - got 9 months to think about it though! Maybe all the "thinking" will make the actual eating unnecessary!:rotfl:

Mmmmm I would like to try this - DH is not too sure. I think I will try and see if it saves us any pennies :)

I'm pretty well versed with this program as I was working in the reservation centre up to Saturday.

It's a great program if you're going to have one full service meal (character buffets are considered full service) most days you're here it is certainly going to save you money, quite how much it will save you depends on where you eat and what you order. In some of the places that serve a good steak (Cellier, Concourse steak house, Grand Floridian Cafe) you can run up the cost of the plan just on the entree.

Don't forget the price include tax and GRATUITY , as most people leave 15-18% tip and the tax is 6% you are in effect paying less than $30 in "menu price" terms. Character meals are some of the best value "full service" meals on property and a character dinner (plus tax and gratuity) will come to just a few cents less than the cost of the dining plan. Other aspects are that the plan isn't on a daily "use it or lose it" situation. If you don't use the plan one day it rolls over to be used at a later date. It does have to be used up by the end of your day of check out, but it has a huge amount going for it.

This is a great advantage for DVC members, obviously each person has to look at their own style of vacation/eating , but having used the plan a couple of times it's something I'd use everytime when coming down.

I think for most UK DVC'ers who do split stays - the plan might be good as you could book it for only part of your stay. So for example if you had 5 nights booked at one resort before moving to another you could get the dining plan for those 5 nights.

We will use it for our 8 night OKW stay as there are quite a few resturants we want to try and this is the last year that DS will be classed as a child.

I'm really thinking that I will do this next year May. We've graduated from "cheap as chips, burger & chips" meals on a very very low budget to "we're on holiday, let's treat ourselves" dining. As we're now DVC members and don't have to do it all & see it all we like to spend time relaxing over a great meal.

There are quite a few top WDW restaurants on our list that we want to try (California Grill, Artist Point, Coral Reef) and a couple we've tried & would love to repeat (Jiko, Kona Café). So for us it would be worth it. If we do it this way we don't have to have a big meal every day - that would be too much! I'm also planning to use it to go to the HoopDeDoo (something I've been meaning to do for a long time). And we can also go to a couple of the Character meals just for the fun of it!

This alone should pay for itself, especially as it includes Gratuity & Tax. So all the counter service (useful for breakfast as well as lunch, maybe use 1 and share) and snacks will then be free. The only thing extra will be a nice glass of wine with the meal.
(must say, we'll probably be taking a lot of deserts to go...!! )

Also we can then order what we like without looking at the price. Which even in indulgent mode I still tend to do! One reason we didn't go to Yachtsman's last year was sticker shock!

I'm already drooling over the menu's on Deb's site!!

I did the math and we'd definitely have used it if it was available for our January 2006 trip. I'm not so sure we'll use it for January 2007, because we'll likely be visiting Universal one day and Sea World one day.

Looking forward, we used it in April this year and was a miss Dec, so we will book it for April 2006

Thanks for the info.

Do you know how to book it?

I would guess through Member Services?? We do everything else through them. Anyone else know?

I'm going to mull over whether it would be worth getting two plans for a party of 4 adults and one child. My DH and I have a DVC contract and our DD has a contract separately. We are all going at the same time but will be booking under separate contracts. So effectively, so far as DVC are concerned, DH and I are one party and DD and her family are a different party. Just thinking that perhaps we could share our food with some supplements as DH and I won't be able to eat that much in any one day. Has anyone used the dining plan who could please give me the benefit of their experience in this direction?

Hi,

I think you are right and that you book it through member services. :)

We will be trying it out in July as we are going to ssr for 2 nights, then 7nights disney cruise. We figure when we finish with our last 5 nights @ SSR we won't want to eat any more!

It will certainly be good for us, as we tend to split resorts and we don't rent a car.

Dh still has nightmares about the $120 dinner @ CRT fir the 2 of us (and that was without booze) It was nice though ! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter