Dinner review of the Brown Derby

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Before I begin--am I the only one who does NOT recognize most of the caricatures on the wall?? We've done the Derby about 10 times now and been seated in all parts of the restaurant. But except for certain obvious ones (like Hitchcock, Groucho Marx, etc) I recognize only abut 10% of what's up there. Worse-when I go up to have a closer look, I find that the "signature" has faded so much that I can't read who it is!!

But I digress. On with the review. As I said we've done the Brown Derby around 10 times now and frankly, I much prefer the "old " Derby. Back then you could get a drink at the Catwalk bar. They had a very good piano player entertaining most evenings. The place was not crowded at all--much slower paced meal and service. And once in awhile a "Street-mos-phere" character would wander in, sit down near (or even with) you and carry on a short conversation. But I think Fantasmic changed all that. The piano player is history, the Derby is almost always crowded, with a brisk --even frantic -pace--and there are lots of kids.

Our ADR's were set for 5:30--we had earlier tried to get the Fantasmic Package, but all they had for dinner was 3:30. That was much too early, so we decided to take a chance with "conventional" ADR's at 5:30 (with Fantasmic at 8:00). Turned out just fine--we walked in to Fantasmic pretty easily and were seated to the left of center. The Derby was quite full when we arrived, and we were seated in a sort of "basement" area near the outside wall--in fact, next stop would have been outside!!! The table location wasn't the best, and even worse, our server had all of his other tables UPstairs and out of sight!! Not his fault, of course, but it made him hard to find when we wanted to order second drinks, etc.

We waited a fashionable 5 minutes or so for our server to come to the table and when he did, he wanted to take all drink, appetizer, and entree orders all at once. Can't say I blame him given how busy he was, but that's not how we like to do things. Ordering that way, it usually ends up that appetizers arrive before drinks, and entrees arrive while we're still eating appetizers. Our server didn''t seem overjoyed at us wanting to order slowly, and given that he was often out of sight waiting on his "upper" tables, it made for a very leisurely meal!!! BUt we actually may have done him a favor, as he didn't have to rush around with us as he was doing with his other customers.

Drinks were first and I must say that the Derby does pretty good with their beer. Had Kirin and Amber Bock on draft, Tucher Weizen , Le Fin Du Monde , Sam Adams Winter Lager, (among several others) in bottles. The Weizen (of course) caught my eye immediately and that's what I had. Relatively strong as Heffeweizens go, and was served with the traditional lemon. Mrs U had a glass of Reisling and liked it.
Appetizers were up next--Mrs U had the seared sea scallop, while I decided to try my favorite--the Cobb Salad. On the menu a single serving is not offered, but I like it so much I was quite prepared to eat the "For Two" portion. To my suprise, they brought out a single serving--at least I THINK it was a single serving, as what I got would not be enough for two people. At any rate, I went right at it and after a moment or so, I realized something was different. The taste wasn't quite right. After a few more bites it dawned on me--they forgot the Classic french dressing!!! That of course would not have happened at the "old " Brown Derby, where the Cobb was mixed for you tableside and the dressing poured on.

For entrees I got the Roasted Pork Rib Chop with Smoked cheese fondue. It was essentially a pretty good pork chop, with cheese on top. The cheese added almost nothing to the pork--I actually prefer their old pork entree, which was a pork loin. Mrs U had the pan fired grouper-a nice piece of fish, served over asparagus, with a lemon-butter sauce. She pronounced it as good, but needing a bit more of a flavorful sauce.

Dessert followed--two slices of Grapefruit Cake. Good (and pretty large slices) but seemed less moist and less of a grapefruit taste than the previous times we've had it. In fact,had we not known it was grapefruit, it would have been pretty hard to determine exactly what the taste was.

Summing things up--Brown Derby is still probably the best restaurant at MGM, but it isn't what it used to be. Crowded, lots of kids, with a "rushed" feeling to the whole experience. Food is good but not memorable. IF you are staying around for Fantasmic it's a good place to eat. For us (since we see Fantasmic only every 3 years or so) we will probably skip it for several years.

Another excellent review ~ Thanx for posting.

Thanks for the review. We'll be going to the Derby for dinner for the first time in early December (we do lunch most every trip). I was very happy to get an 8PM reservation (Fantasmic at 7PM) since it is an EMH night...we hate eating early.

Two thumbs up from us on the beer selection...Unibroue for me and Tucher for the Mrs. makes us very happy. We always liked the tuna and grouper entrees for lunch.

Thanks for another great review. I also remember eating at the BD when they had the piano player in the evenings. Sorry to hear that they don't have the pork tenderloin anymore. I had it last year and it was excellent. :)

We just visitied the BD last week. We did the Fantasmic Package. We did pay OOP, did not feel it was worth 2 TS, we were on the DDP. Our ressie was at 4:30 due to the show. I would say service was "ok". The meal itself was pretty good. Can honestly say I would not go back next year, just to try something else. Although I met quite a few people there disappointed with H&V. For the FP I would just do MM instead. We were happy that we had the priority seating for the show as it was very crowded even for a late Sept date (25th)

You make very good points. Thanks for the review. I totally agree with you. My family has been going to the drby since I was a kid and now as I am approaching 30 and doing "the world" on my own I continue to go back. It has change(mostly not for the better) still, it is a noteworthy restauraunt and the best in MGM. I mad ADR's for this Jan but was getting nervous but thanks to your review I think I will keep them and give them a shot.

We are just back also and I have to say I was coming to this board to post a review of the Derby.
I have eaten there at least 10 times also and I look forward to the Cobb Salad everytime . I eat it as my meal, even though I was on DDP I still ordered it as my meal . It was not the same I also thought the dressing was off :( I was sad about that .
I also had the grapefruit cake and I found it dry and not as flavorful as before .
I had really thought it was just my DH and I .

I also thought that the crab cake had changed and not been as good as in the past .
Thanks for confirming my thoughts it is always nice to make sure you are not crazy LOL

Thanks Uncle for the review. I ate there last month also. I enjoyed the grouper to. It must have been 10-15 years since i was there last time! :goodvibes

As usual I totally agree with you! We really don't have any plans to go back anytime soon- have been underwhelmed in past visits.

Thanks for the review! I completely agree! I'm going to show my DH this review because he's mentioned that he wants to go back to Brown Derby. The last time we ate there the food was not very good, to say the least. I think he just likes the theme of the restaurant, which I can understand. But, for the money, I'd rather eat at Blue Zoo and then head to MGM!

-Michelle

Oh, I'm glad someone else doesn't recognize the "celebrities."

Did you ask for some dressing? Cobb salad withour French dressing....mais non!

We actually prefer BD for lunch these days as it isn't as hectic without the Fantasmic issues. We still enjoy the food very much although we didn't make it this trip. The cheese on the pork chop sounds very different. ;) What kind of cheese was it?

As always, thanks for your review. :thumbsup2

I decided to forego the dressing--had about a third of the salad finished anyway, server hard to find.
I believe it was described as a "smoked cheese". Truth to tell there wasn't much cheese on the chop anyway, so it mattered very little to the overall flavor.

Wow, I'm so disappointed to hear it was crowded and the service underwhelming :(

I have an ADR there in December and was hoping for a nice experience. Also, 2 of the things I want to order are the cobb and grapefruit cake and now I am doubting that choice.

I ordered the double vanila been brulee and that was good. I had not been there since late 70's/early 80's but i never had the cake yet. It was a nice experience for me anyways.

Mrs U had the grouper--me that Pork Chop.
The Cobb would have been fine WITH the dressing!!!
As I said, our server was a bit overworked given the location of his tables. He wasn't a bad server per se, nor have I gotten really bad service at the Derby. It's just so busy "Pre-Fantasmic" --maybe there's no time for really good service(?)

Well-it's not a bad restaurant. It's just not as good as it used to be.
That's from my point of view, of course. From Disney's point of view, it's now a "full" restaurant and for them, that's good.
In those good old days that I recalled, the restaurant was never full, and often embarassingly empty.

I also remember when they used to have the faux celebrities come through and take phone calls, etc. That was really fun and made it more of an experience. I really miss that.

I guess the difference I feel is that, the first time I went there, lo those many years ago, it really felt like it might have been a fancy restaurant out in Hollywood (not that the real Hollywood is all that fancy.) Now, there really isn't any pretense that you're not in a nice eatery in a theme park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter