DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

Was just about to post this one where Bob basically says he's going to ignore the 31% of his shareholders who voted against the status quo. It was a decisive victory according to Bob. So the 31% means nothing to him. Yet when compared to the usual board votes, it is a gigantic shift...but the company will ignore it. Way to reach out to those who might disagree with you, Bob. Maybe he does have a future in politics? 🙄

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2024/04/...t-increased-engagement-with-shareholders.html

Last edited:
https://deadline.com/2024/04/disney-proxy-fight-nelson-peltz-stock-board-1235876025/

After Losing Disney Proxy Fight, Nelson Peltz Claims About $1B In Profit On Stock Gains; Won’t Rule Out A Third Effort To Shake Up Board

By Dade Hayes - Business Editor
April 4, 2024 - 10:15am PDT

Activist investor Nelson Peltz, reflecting on his losing proxy battle with Disney, says he will “watch and wait” to see if the company keeps its promises.

If it doesn’t, he told CNBC in an interview Thursday, “you’ll see me again.”

Asked by host Jim Cramer if reports were true that his firm, Trian Fund Management, had made $300 million on its Disney investment, Peltz called that figure “dramatically wrong.” When Cramer wondered if the gains were actually in the $1 billion range, Peltz replied, “that sounds more like it.”

The wavering performance of Disney’s stock performance, which brought it to multi-year lows last year, was one of the main complaints of Trian, along with the company’s approach to succession, streaming and film production. Since the proxy effort began, shares have rebounded strongly, climbing more than 35% in 2024 to date.

Trian’s months-long quest to install Peltz and former Disney CFO Jay Rasulo on the company’s board of directors met with defeat Wednesday at the company’s annual shareholder meeting. Earlier on CNBC, Disney CEO Bob Iger had struck a largely constructive tone, saying the expensive battle had ended up bringing the company into closer touch with its shareholders.

As one of those shareholders (Trian, in alignment with ex-Marvel chairman Ike Perlmutter, controls about $3.5 billion in Disney stock), Peltz is hoping for only positive takeaways from the bruising proxy fight.

“I hope Bob can keep his promises,” the investor said. “I hope they can do all the things they assured us they were going to do. And we’ll only watch and wait. If they do it, they won’t hear from me again.” If they don’t, he said, he could mount a Round 3 of his Disney campaign in 2025. Trian rattled cages soon after Iger returned as CEO in 2022 before ultimately pulling back the following February. The latest bid to shake up the board began several months prior to Wednesday’s vote, which showed about 31% of shareholders supporting Peltz.

“The shareholders have voted,” Peltz said. “They want to give management and the board a chance. So so be it. We will watch like we did last time. We pulled out a year ago February. A lot of promises were made. We hoped that they were going to keep them. They didn’t, we came back. We’ve got a new set of promises, and I hope they keep them and if they if they do, I’ll be a guest on the other show probably talking about a different company. But if they don’t, you’ll see me again.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/para...orst-time-in-the-world-to-sell-191703124.html

Paramount stock drops after buyout rumors: 'The worst time in the world' to sell
Alexandra Canal · Senior Reporter
Thu, Apr 4, 2024, 3:17 PM EDT

Paramount's (PARA) stock dropped nearly 10% on Thursday after a 15% surge the day prior following reports the company has entered into exclusive merger talks with David Ellison's Skydance Media.

The timing of the discussions couldn't be worse, according to one media mogul.
"First of all it's the worst time in the world to sell this thing," IAC chairman and Fox founder Barry Diller said in an interview with CNBC on Thursday. "It is the perfect candidate for actually turning itself around but the idea that you ought to sell it?

Whoever gets in that and whatever base they get in it for, there's an enormous amount of work that has to take place."

According to reports from The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg, Paramount entered into exclusive talks with Skydance after declining a $26 billion all-cash offer, which included $14 billion worth of debt, for the entire company from private equity firm Apollo. (Disclosure: Yahoo Finance is owned by Apollo Global Management.)

Paramount has been bleeding money in its streaming business. Although losses have narrowed, the company still reported a direct-to-consumer (DTC) loss of $490 million in the fourth quarter. It's also been plagued by plummeting linear TV revenue as more consumers cut the cord.

To combat the declines, Paramount has committed to various cost-efficiency plans, including layoffs, business restructurings, price hikes, and even a surprise dividend cut. But a potential sale has been on the table for months.

Skydance is aiming for a two-step deal targeting Paramount's holding company, National Amusements (NAI). Shari Redstone currently serves as the president of NAI.
She's also the controlling shareholder of Paramount Global.

National Amusements owns approximately 10% of Paramount's equity capital value and maintains 77% of voting shares — valued at around $1 billion.

According to the Journal, Redstone and Ellison have agreed to terms that would allow Skydance to purchase Redstone's controlling stake. Skydance would then merge its production studio with Paramount's — an important contingency to the deal, which must first be approved by an independent committee of directors at Paramount. It's unclear what Ellison plans to do with the rest of the company.

Wall Street analysts remain skeptical that a Skydance deal can make it to the finish line.

"The more complicated the deal, the less likely it gets done," Needham analyst Laura Martin told Yahoo Finance. "The Skydance deal with the two different pieces...that feels complicated."

Doug Creutz, TD Cowen managing director, agreed, telling Yahoo Finance, "A purchase of NAI would allow somebody to control Paramount, [it] wouldn't necessarily help current Paramount shareholders."

Paramount has long been viewed as a potential acquisition target, primarily due to its small size relative to competitors. The company boasts a current market cap of just around $8 billion, compared to Disney's (DIS) $218 billion and Netflix's (NFLX) $273 billion.

Alexandra Canal is a Senior Reporter at Yahoo Finance. Follow her on X @allie_canal, LinkedIn, and email her at alexandra.canal@yahoofinance.com.

Was just about to post this one where Bob basically says he's going to ignore the 31% of his shareholders who voted against the status quo. It was a decisive victory according to Bob. So the 31% means nothing to him. Yet when compared to the usual board votes, it is a gigantic shift...but the company will ignore it. Way to reach out to those who might disagree with you, Bob. Maybe he does have a future in politics? 🙄

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2024/04/...t-increased-engagement-with-shareholders.html

He also looked exhausted.

His comments on the current status of the succession plan were pretty glib. Sixteen months in with Iger 2.0, and they still aren't even close to naming (and training) his successor. That's inexcusable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/04/business/media/paramount-board-shari-redstone.html

A Looming Question for Paramount’s Board: How to Navigate Shari Redstone

The board of directors has to walk a fine line, looking out for investors without running afoul of Ms. Redstone, the company’s most influential shareholder.

By Benjamin Mullin and Lauren Hirsch
April 4, 2024

Shari Redstone won control over her media empire in 2018 after a hard-fought struggle with CBS. In the years since, she held off on selling the family business, merging Viacom and CBS to put iconic franchises like “60 Minutes” and “Top Gun” under one roof.

Now, Ms. Redstone has decided to sell her controlling stake in Paramount, a decision that could put her in conflict with some of the company’s shareholders.

The question that Paramount’s board has to answer — and may eventually have to defend in a courtroom: Is the deal under consideration good for all shareholders, or just Ms. Redstone?

“Are these decisions that are being made in the best interest of Paramount generally?” asked Eric Talley, a law professor at Columbia. “Or are they basically the types of decisions that are only going to give Shari Redstone a nice nut but pretty much stick it to the other minority shareholders?”

The challenge lies in the company’s complicated ownership structure. Ms. Redstone’s stake in Paramount is owned by National Amusements, a holding company that she controls. She has endorsed a deal to sell National Amusements to Skydance, a media company controlled by the tech scion and Hollywood executive David Ellison. Because of the structure of the deal, the sale of National Amusements hinges on a related agreement’s being reached for Skydance to merge with Paramount.

It’s common for influential shareholders like Ms. Redstone to be paid extra for their shares, commonly called a “control premium.” Under the deal terms currently under discussion, Ms. Redstone would be paid for all of National Amusements — including its theater chain, its real estate and its controlling stake in Paramount — potentially setting up different incentives for Ms. Redstone and everyone else who owns Paramount stock.

Some Paramount shareholders have expressed concerns that any transaction based on Paramount’s currently dwindling share price might undervalue the company.

To puzzle through the options, Paramount’s board has formed an independent committee, advised by Centerview Partners and the law firm Cravath, Swaine & Moore.

If the terms aren’t appealing to the board, the board can decide not to recommend it, but that would mean opposing a deal that Ms. Redstone had already signed off on.

Special committees have played a starring and consequential role in some of the most
notable transactions in U.S. corporate history, like R.J Reynolds’s acquisition of Nabisco and the buyout of Dell. These directors are well aware that their actions may be scrutinized by the courts later to determine whether they worked to get the best deal possible.

“The special committee has a lot of power,” said Jim Woolery, founder of Woolery & Company, an advisory firm. “They’re risk adverse, but they want to negotiate — and be seen to negotiate — and move the thing for the Paramount stockholders.” Mr. Woolery, who has worked with many special committees, called it a “chess game.”

The committee can take steps to minimize its risk, he said, like allowing a brief period for other bidders to make another offer for Paramount. The committee could also look to secure support from a majority of Paramount’s minority shareholders and be seen as moving Skydance’s bid up as best it can.

Ms. Redstone also has options to sell National Amusements by itself, which she is prepared to pursue if Paramount’s board does not recommend a deal with Skydance. A person familiar with her priorities said she was mindful of the potential for litigation and had been careful to leave discussions about Paramount’s future to the company’s special committee. She is the chair of Paramount’s board but has recused herself from the special committee.

Skydance and Paramount recently agreed to enter into exclusive talks, a significant step toward reaching a deal. Ms. Redstone and National Amusements are encouraged by Mr. Ellison’s vision for the combined company, according to the person familiar with her priorities, who said it called for Paramount to team up with another major company on a streaming joint venture in the United States.

A deal with Skydance could bring other opportunities to Paramount, including tech and animation know-how from Mr. Ellison’s management team, which includes John Lasseter, a former Pixar executive. The plan calls for Skydance to supercharge Paramount’s streaming capabilities, improving personalization with better algorithmic recommendations and making it more efficient through better deals with data providers.

Ms. Redstone is encouraged by the access to capital and tech know-how that comes with Skydance’s association with the Ellison family.

Another big selling point: Skydance has ownership stakes in Paramount’s most financially successful shows and movies, like “Mission: Impossible” and “Top Gun,” and uniting the firms would give the combined company greater flexibility in managing its franchises.

Besides Skydance, only one other suitor has emerged. Apollo Global Management, an investment firm with more than $500 billion under management, sent a letter to Paramount late last month expressing its interest in acquiring all of Paramount for $26 billion.

“It is beyond baffling to see the Paramount board of directors ignore an all-cash offer for 100 percent of Paramount,” said Rich Greenfield, a media analyst.

Paramount decided not to engage with Apollo, with one person explaining that doing so could have derailed its advancing negotiations with Skydance without certainty that Apollo’s letter would lead to a deal.

Mr. Woolery, the corporate adviser, said Paramount could use Apollo’s bid to pressure Skydance to improve its offer. He added that, in situations like these, certainty of a deal could matter more than the size of the offer. And Apollo’s bid, which was not fully financed, would have been subject to due diligence.

The Skydance deal may also be unpopular with some of Paramount’s most influential shareholders. Mario Gabelli, whose firm owns 10 percent of Paramount’s voting stock — the same class of stock the Ms. Redstone owns — said he would prefer for the company to wait at least three years before considering a deal because he believed Paramount was currently undervalued.

Mr. Gabelli also said he wanted shareholders who owned the same class of stock as Ms. Redstone to be offered the same terms she was, essentially putting everyone on equal
footing.

“The voting stock, which Shari controls at National Amusements, is entitled to a premium,” Mr. Gabelli said. “The question that will be decided if she does this is whether the control premium applies to all the voting shares and not just the ones owned by National Amusements.”

Not everyone is opposed to a deal at the outset. John W. Rogers Jr., whose firm, Ariel Investments, owned 1.8 percent of the company’s shares as of the end of last year, said he was reassured by the board’s creation of a special committee and by his conversations with management and the board.

Mr. Rogers said he was open to a bid from Skydance, as he believes that both Skydance and Paramount management know that the “real value is being able to put both companies together and benefit from the synergies, the cost-cuttings.”

To get his support, it is important that any buyer “pay a price that reflects the underlying value of the all the assets,” not its current stock price, Mr. Rogers said. He said there could be additional ways buyers could create value for shareholders through a deal, like spinning off certain parts of the business, possibly to private equity firms.

Benjamin Mullin reports on the major companies behind news and entertainment. Contact Ben securely on Signal at +1 530-961-3223 or email at benjamin.mullin@nytimes.com. More about Benjamin Mullin

Lauren Hirsch joined The Times from CNBC in 2020, covering deals and the biggest stories on Wall Street. More about Lauren Hirsch

He also looked exhausted.

His comments on the current status of the succession plan were pretty glib. Sixteen months in with Iger 2.0, and they still aren't even close to naming (and training) his successor. That's inexcusable.
I've not watched any of the interview, nor that of Peltz. To be honest, I've gotten to the point where I don't believe very much of what Iger has to say.

I'm very interested in this sudden flurry of concept art for new projects allegedly in the works. The pictures are nice, but we need to see working drawings and signed contracts with vendors that will actually do some construction work.

Chapek's layoff of many of the Imagineering staff was probably one of the company's worst strategic blunders since Michael Eisner bollixed up the Pixar/Steve Jobs relationship in the early 2000s.

All those folks went to work for Universal on the Epic Universe project.

Last edited:
I've not watched any of the interview, nor that of Peltz. To be honest, I've gotten to the point where I don't believe very much of what Iger has to say.

He was typical rosy Iger, yet kind of annoyed and tired. He definitely didn't like the Elon Musk question, which is understandable as last time it ignited a firestorm from Musk.

As posted above,

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2024/04/...into-a-growth-business.html?&qsearchterm=iger

I'm very interested in this sudden flurry of concept art for new projects allegedly in the works. The pictures are nice, but we need to see working drawings and signed contracts with vendors that will actually do some construction work.

Convenient, huh? I did notice the animatronics in the YouTube series were marked for Disneyland, which presumably means the same animatronics are already installed at Walt Disney World.

Sounds like the rumors are true and it will open in the next few months.

Chapek's layoff of many of the Imagineering staff was probably one of the company's worst strategic blunders since Michael Eisner bollixed up the Pixar/Steve Jobs relationship in the early 2000s.

I completely agree.

Not even just Universal, they went on to consult on museums, water parks, regional theme parks, Busch Gardens, Cedar Point, European theme parks, other international parks, etc. too.

Not only was it a mistake by Chapek to layoff the Imagineering CMs, I don't believe he had a plan to replace their expertise with either existing Imagineering CMs or new hires. Bad move, compounded by an even worse decision to have no succession plan.

Not only was it a mistake by Chapek to layoff the Imagineering CMs, I don't believe he had a plan to replace their expertise with either existing Imagineering CMs or new hires. Bad move, compounded by an even worse decision to have no succession plan.

Chapek casued so many problems. I know the hope was for Iger to just come in and fix everything instantly, but it was such a mess. They do seem to be moving in the right direction, albiet slowly. This flurry of announcements is positive though.

Not that I want to relive the Chapek past, but anyone remember how many were actually laid off? Was it a big percentage?

WDI was completely gutted from the attempted move to Florida and the stoppage of projects combined with the layoffs. Literally no one was left. Bruce is back and they had to start from scratch with hiring and training. The art we have seen is not new. The 3D models were new but of the AK project we had seen as ‘blue sky’ ideas.

The CFTOD was delaying approvals. Now days after the settlement we are getting more info. A backlog of approvals and permits likely coming.

I personally have zero issues with Iger. I think he has been a great CEO and his 2.0 leadership has turned the company around in only 12 months. He just cannot succession plan worth a damn.

Not that I want to relive the Chapek past, but anyone remember how many were actually laid off? Was it a big percentage?
I cannot give a percentage.

Here's how I look at it. Chapek made a mistake with Imagineering. But, Iger laid off Imagineering CMs in 2016 (+/-) and again as part of the 7,000 person lay-off last year (+/-). They both share blame. Neither CEO has done an exceptional job with growth and expansion. Everyone is focused on a succession plan. I am not convinced TWDC board actually understands succession planning based upon past results. For me, Iger needs to be out of the succession planning role, and his job needs to be lasered focused on business growth and re-creating a new magic (whether that's at Imagineering, parks, movie studios, etc.). And my greatest concern is that Iger is more focused on board seats and succession planning then strategic business growth.

Disney has divisions that are really struggling right now. I cannot believe anyone can truthfully and genuinely say that the TV, streaming or movie studios are doing well, and that domestic parks have been well maintained and kept up appropriately.

Iger needs to leave, immediately, in my opinion, because he too is part of the problem.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/09/30/disneyland-layoffs-include-thousands-of-restaurant-and-hotel-workers-plus-hundreds-of-imagineers

Disneyland layoffs include thousands of restaurant and hotel workers plus hundreds of Imagineers

Brady MacDonald

By Brady MacDonald | bmacdonald@scng.com
PUBLISHED: September 30, 2020 at 2:16 p.m. | UPDATED: October 1, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.

The massive layoffs coming to Disney theme parks in the U.S. as a result of the coronavirus pandemic are expected to cost nearly 3,500 Disneyland restaurant and hotel union workers their jobs and put more than 400 Imagineers out of work.

The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products division announced this week that 28,000 employees would be laid off at Disneyland, Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and in the company’s cruise line, travel planning, retail, gaming and publishing divisions.

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure closed in mid-March and remain shuttered while they await guidelines for safely reopening from the state. Disney theme parks in China, France, Japan and Florida have reopened with attendance capacity limits following extended coronavirus closures.

Iger has been back as CEO since November, 20, 2022 - 502 days. And he was plugged in to the company for the whole time Chapek was "in charge."

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/09/30/disneyland-layoffs-include-thousands-of-restaurant-and-hotel-workers-plus-hundreds-of-imagineers

Disneyland layoffs include thousands of restaurant and hotel workers plus hundreds of Imagineers

Brady MacDonald

By Brady MacDonald | bmacdonald@scng.com
PUBLISHED: September 30, 2020 at 2:16 p.m. | UPDATED: October 1, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.

The massive layoffs coming to Disney theme parks in the U.S. as a result of the coronavirus pandemic are expected to cost nearly 3,500 Disneyland restaurant and hotel union workers their jobs and put more than 400 Imagineers out of work.

The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products division announced this week that 28,000 employees would be laid off at Disneyland, Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and in the company’s cruise line, travel planning, retail, gaming and publishing divisions.

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure closed in mid-March and remain shuttered while they await guidelines for safely reopening from the state. Disney theme parks in China, France, Japan and Florida have reopened with attendance capacity limits following extended coronavirus closures.
Universal was also laying a lot of people off around this time.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/still-...-over-2200-workers-since-july-1234597054/amp/

Well, I guess I must reluctantly give the Bobs the benefit of the doubt since most of the layoffs seem to have been around the Covid mess. That being said, they both bear responsibility for not working together better during the Covid challenges. This was another failure of the board too - they should have sat the Bobs down and said all hands on deck during this crisis, you 2 need to work seamlessly together as co-ceo's until the crisis passes. Instead we got backstabbing between the 2 camps during the worst of times and ideas like moving the Imagineers to FL without taking into account all the push-back and turmoil that might cause.

Well, I guess I must reluctantly give the Bobs the benefit of the doubt since most of the layoffs seem to have been around the Covid mess. That being said, they both bear responsibility for not working together better during the Covid challenges. This was another failure of the board too - they should have sat the Bobs down and said all hands on deck during this crisis, you 2 need to work seamlessly together as co-ceo's until the crisis passes. Instead we got backstabbing between the 2 camps during the worst of times and ideas like moving the Imagineers to FL without taking into account all the push-back and turmoil that might cause.
I agree the concept of moving Cali-based talent to Florida is VERY problematic. I can think of three reasons right off: Climate, climate and climate. Folks who are used to low humidity and mild temps all their lives will need some very compelling incentives to move bag and baggage to South Florida.

Recall that Michael Eisner had the idea of having a lot of animation work done in the MGM (now Hollywood) studio at WDW. That didn't work out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Feature_Animation_Florida

I agree the concept of moving Cali-based talent to Florida is VERY problematic. I can think of three reasons right off: Climate, climate and climate. Folks who are used to low humidity and mild temps all their lives will need some very compelling incentives to move bag and baggage to South Florida.

Recall that Michael Eisner had the idea of having a lot of animation work done in the MGM (now Hollywood) studio at WDW. That didn't work out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Feature_Animation_Florida
And didn't a lot of that work end up going to Canada and overseas?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...one-s-firm-over-2-billion-in-cash/ar-BB1l9mGU

Paramount-Skydance Deal Would Give Shari Redstone’s Firm Over $2 Billion in Cash

Nonvoting shareholders would receive stock in merged entertainment company under terms being discussed and weighed by a special board committee

By Jessica Toonkel and Miriam Gottfried
April 5, 2024 - 7:29 pm EDT

A sale of Paramount Global could work out very differently for controlling shareholder Shari Redstone and the rest of the entertainment giant’s investors.

Redstone’s National Amusements, which controls Paramount through a large voting stake and also owns a movie theater chain, is engaged in exclusive talks to sell itself to Skydance Media, The Wall Street Journal reported this week.

Under the terms being discussed, Redstone’s firm would receive over $2 billion in cash in the first step of the transaction, people familiar with the situation said. Then Paramount Global, owner of broadcaster CBS, cable brands like Nickelodeon and MTV and the Paramount film studio, would acquire Skydance in an all-stock deal valued at around $5 billion.

The bottom line: Redstone would get cash while investors with nonvoting shares would get stock in the combined company and wind up with a diluted shareholding.

Separately, Skydance could provide a substantial cash infusion to Paramount to bolster its balance sheet and help pay down debt, the people said.

A deal would require approval from a special committee of Paramount’s board, which has the responsibility of finding the best possible deal for all of the entertainment company’s shareholders. The company has been open to a deal for some time, but the rapid erosion of the cable TV business and difficulty of making money on streaming has complicated the sales pitch.

Paramount and Skydance are in exclusive merger talks for 30 days. Days before that period commenced, private-equity giant Apollo Global Management submitted an offer for Paramount valued at $26 billion, including assumption of debt, the Journal reported. It’s possible that the emergence of Apollo’s interest could affect the Skydance negotiations.

Paramount’s special committee didn’t engage with Apollo, on advice of its bank, Centerview Partners, according to the people familiar with the situation.

Paramount has a market capitalization of $8.6 billion and $14.6 billion in debt. Skydance was valued at more than $4 billion in a 2022 funding round.

Redstone buys into the vision for the Skydance deal put forward by its CEO, David Ellison. With the backing of his father, Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, he has laid out a plan to grow Paramount by investing in technology, moving aspects of the business to the cloud and putting more resources behind its studio.

Skydance has also explored a joint venture between Paramount+ and another streaming service, which could substantially cut costs. The Journal reported in February that Paramount had talks with Comcast’s Peacock about potential streaming partnerships, including a joint venture.

Skydance has partnered with Paramount on Tom Cruise’s “Top Gun: Maverick” and “Mission: Impossible—Dead Reckoning Part One,” as well as “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” and additional “Mission Impossible” and “Top Gun” movies that are in the works. By merging the two companies, the combined entity would have much more flexibility around what it could do with those franchises, said another person familiar with the situation.

One of the reasons that Paramount directors opted to not move forward on Apollo’s offer was because Apollo hadn’t yet done “diligence”—a process to stress-test the financials and potential risks in a deal. The board didn’t want to risk losing the bid in hand from Skydance, said some of the people. Also, there were concerns that Apollo, which has a majority interest in Cox TV stations, would run into antitrust hurdles in acquiring Paramount, which also owns many TV stations.

Redstone has expressed wariness to associates about selling the company to a private-equity firm. Paramount also had concerns about Apollo’s financing. Apollo took a different approach with an earlier bid, when it offered $11 billion just for Paramount’s studio.

People close to the Apollo bid said the private-equity firm wouldn’t need additional debt financing to buy Paramount because its existing capital structure could be rolled into a new deal.

Redstone took control of National Amusements, her family’s media empire, five years ago and united its two wings, CBS and Viacom, through a merger in 2019, later rebranding the resulting company Paramount Global.

Over the years Redstone has fielded offers for parts of Paramount, especially its storied Hollywood studio, but has resisted breaking the company up. Another prized asset is broadcaster CBS, which has valuable NFL TV rights. National Amusements owns nearly 80% of the voting shares of Paramount.

The merger discussions come as Paramount has been struggling to make its streaming service, Paramount+, profitable. The company’s deal with Charter Communications for carriage of its cable channels is up this spring, while its deal with Comcast is up at the end of the year. Other parties have expressed interest in Paramount in recent months, including Warner Bros. Discovery and media executive Byron Allen.

Write to Jessica Toonkel at jessica.toonkel@wsj.com and Miriam Gottfried at Miriam.Gottfried@wsj.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter