"Discover the Magic" tour question

ALTkids

Earning My Ears
Has anybody done this tour recently? All of the info that I can find seems to be outdated. They don't offer lunch anymore and the storyline has changed. We have 3 young kids (7,4,4) and we were hoping that the tour would be a good opportunity for character interaction. But the only recent review I could find said that it was only Mickey. Does anyone have any insight or experience on this tour? Thanks in advance!

It sure looks to me like the VIP tour is the way to go. Basically they make the tour what you want it to be. Character interaction without the closed lines and the waits. You got it. Priority seating for shows and parades? You got it? Someone to gather fast passes? You got it. Captain the Mark Twain, ride the Lilly Belle train car, maybe be the train tender?? I think the extent of the tour is limited only by your imagination. I bet they could customize a "discover" sort of tour, if that is what you wanted, with a lot of other extras too, and for not too much more than what you would pay for the Discover the Magic tour.

Just my opinion....

We did the Discover the Magic tour in December. The only character they met was Mickey. They were able to spend a little more time with him though and my kids loved that. My boys were 5 and 7 at the time and we had two other girls with us. They were 4 and 5 I think? The kids had a fun time looking for the clues and they let them pick "Jewels" out of every treasure chest and along the way they collected puzzle pieces. We were able to go on the POC, Astro Blasters, Tarzan's club house, Disneyland Train, Tea Cups, Merry go round, TS Island--those are the ones I can remember :) We had alot of one on one interaction because there were only the four kids in our tour. In the middle of the tour we were all given frozen apple juices as our treat. The kids all had a blast traveling all over Disneyland looking for 'Clues'. But if you are looking for character interaction this is not the tour for you. We started our vacation off at Goofy's kitchen for Dinner and the kids had a lot of character interaction and we didn't have to wait in lines. We also at at Minnie's for breakfast one morning and that helped meet some more characters without waiting in lines. Another thing we did was the Birthday Party at the Plaza. The kids were able to meet Mickey and Minnie together and take pics. They had a fun time doing that and decorating their cakes.:)

Here is some info on the Birthday Party :)

"Happiest Birthdays on Earth"
You can enjoy a 45 minute to 1 hour birthday party at the Plaza Inn, which is located at the end of Main Street U.S.A. Priority seating can be made at the Plaza Inn, City Hall, and any Guest Relations Information Kiosk. Or, simply call (714) 781-DINE up to 30 days in advance. Prices are $15.99 per guest. Children under the age of 2 are free (prices are subject to change). Price includes cake, punch, party hat, a special Happy Birthday cup and Mickey Mouse Plate. Park admission is required. Premium Annual Passholders get 10% discount

During the party, there will be a cake-decorating contest and each participant will receive a special sticker. Your party host will be Mr. Patrick Edward Cake (AKA Pat E Cake). Joining the party will be two Disney characters. While Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse usually attend, other characters may appear in their place.

Thanks for the info! We are kinda torn - on the one hand I think our kids will enjoy it, but only the other hand, it's not cheap and we will be there for 7 days so we'll do all the rides anyway. I really like the old storyline where they were trying to return a book to its owner and met several characters in the process. Or, at least, that's how I understand it. Plus, they used to give you lunch - that's worth half the price of the tour. :rolleyes:

It does sound like you enjoyed it though. So maybe we'll do it anyway. Thanks again!

Plaza Inn is closed for refurbishments until fall at which point it's rumored to become the new disney gallery.

if the happiest birthdays on earth event is still going on, I don't know where it is.

We did the tour in November and it was pretty much like mo3bys said except we didn't do the Teacups or TS Island. We had a great time and would do it again but it is pricey. Our tour guides made the adventure lots of fun and we were fortunate enough to be the only family doing the tour that day. It was like a private adventure for us.

Plaza Inn is closed for refurbishments until fall at which point it's rumored to become the new disney gallery.

:eek:

I noticed someone mentioning that, but it was when talking about the junior cookie thing, which was in a different place, so I figured they were just wrong. But now YOU are saying this?

So no lunch/dinner there, no Minnie breakfast, and no birthday celebration?

ACK.

sorry sorry sorry sorry

i confused myself and badly mispoke.

the plaza inn is not closed. the plaza pavilion is. the plaza pavilion is where the jr chef was.

Oh, whew, whew whew whew. :)

Honestly, why does DLR copy itself so much? MM, MTTMM. Plaza Inn (which isn't an inn, LOL) and Pavilion. Paradise Pier hotel, Paradise Pier "land". Why? If you think about it, it's stunning that this sort of thing doesn't happen in almost every conversation. :upsidedow

Oh, whew, whew whew whew. :)

Honestly, why does DLR copy itself so much? MM, MTTMM. Plaza Inn (which isn't an inn, LOL) and Pavilion. Paradise Pier hotel, Paradise Pier "land". Why? If you think about it, it's stunning that this sort of thing doesn't happen in almost every conversation. :upsidedow

Especially with people who aren't as Disney-educated as we are.. ;)

I was thinking of doing this tour but it really seems geared towards kids...do you think two adults would enjoy it?

I was thinking about doing the Walking in Walt's Footsteps (I think that's what it is called), but I had never heard of the VIP tour.

Do you know where I can get details/prices on the VIP tour. Sounds neat!

I was thinking about doing the Walking in Walt's Footsteps (I think that's what it is called), but I had never heard of the VIP tour.

VIP Tour Information is here. The prices were just greatly increased this month!! It's not as reasonable as it used to be.

I loved this tour. I booked the last tour of the day and was supposed to get VIP seating for the parade. The area was under construction so they gave us VIP seating for Fantasmic instead and it was amazing. We got to sit on the dock and they gave us all a little snack. You will love the tour.

Stacielee: You weren't kidding when you said the prices went up. $125/hr. Ouch!

lvstitch: Which tour was it that you loved? Was it the VIP tour or the Walt tour? I'm thinking about doing the Walt tour still because the VIP tour is just to pricey. I'm also excited about the lunch! :woohoo:

I was thinking of doing this tour but it really seems geared towards kids...do you think two adults would enjoy it?

I don't think it would be as much fun for just adults.

My husband and I had blast but I think it had more to do with watching the girls, the great tour guides we had and being the only family on the tour. The guides did a great job interacting with the kids and joking with us. If there had been more people on the tour, there probably wouldn't have been as much joking around with the adults. It was also our first trip to DL so we had never ridden any of the rides before.

Stacielee: You weren't kidding when you said the prices went up. $125/hr. Ouch!

lvstitch: Which tour was it that you loved? Was it the VIP tour or the Walt tour? I'm thinking about doing the Walt tour still because the VIP tour is just to pricey. I'm also excited about the lunch! :woohoo:

Oh sorry...the Walt Tour. No way can I afford the VIP:scared: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter