Disney Dream Europe Repositioning Cruise: July 15-22, 2023

Bound4DisneyWorld

Mouseketeer
First off, if you’re looking for a funny, witty, narrative-style trip report, this isn’t for you. By all means, stay and read, but you may get really bored really quickly. 😂

What I will try to do is exactly what the forum name suggests: give a report of my experiences and things that I observed. Hopefully then, as I came looking for information before the cruise, maybe someone can find some information about something they have a question about.

In this first post, I will give you the context. Who we are, our cruise and travel experience, and the plan set out before the trip.

We are four people: myself, my wife, our 16-year old daughter (affectionately called “the girl”), and my mother-in-law (MIL). We all have cruised. My wife and I are Gold-status castaway members, the girl and MIL are both silver status. At the end of this cruise, the girl attained Gold-status, too. MIL has only sailed with Disney once before, and it was on the Dream. The last time wife, the girl and I sailed was in August of 2019. I think she went to Edge? She was old enough, but I don’t remember if she was allowed to choose the Club/Lab, and if that was a choice which one she chose. But Vibe was a completely new experience for her.

I have traveled to Europe only once, and it was in the early 90’s. Of course, so much has changed since then. I was 14 at the time, so old enough to have a lot of memories of the trip itself, but not old enough to remember the minutiae that I needed to know for this trip. As well as, of course, the landscape of travel, in particular international travel, having changed a lot since that time. So for the purposes of this report, we were all international travel newbies.

We booked the July 15, 2023 sailing of the Dream in March - relatively last minute when it wasn’t selling very well. By the end of June, it was booked solid. There was not a single stateroom to be had. The itinerary:

Saturday, July 15, 2023: Embarkation in Barcelona
Sunday, July 16, 2023: Day at Sea
Monday, July 17, 2023: Cádiz, Spain
Tuesday, July 18, 2023: Lisbon, Portugal
Wednesday, July 19, 2023: Vigo, Spain
Thursday, July 20, 2023: Day at Sea
Friday, July 21, 2023: Le Havre, France
Saturday, July 22, 2023: Disembarkation in Southampton, UK

We arrived in Barcelona on Friday, July 14, so we had a pre-night. I tried to book through Disney Cruise Line, but they were booked solid. I then tried to book the Hilton Diagonal directly, but they also had no availability. So I ended up booking the Best Western Plus Hotel Alfa Aeropuerto.

We departed the UK on Sunday, July 23, so we also had a post-night in London. This time, Disney had several options. For cost, and what I thought was convenience, we booked the Sofitel at London Heathrow.

Roundtrip transfers were booked through Disney Cruise Line. Because we were not at a hotel with which Disney had a contract, we had to take transfers from the airport. I saw so many people saying how easy it was to get a taxi to the cruise terminal, and I thought maybe I should have just done that (get a taxi from the hotel instead of going to the airport first), but I will explain why Disney Cruise Line transportation was the absolute best thing we could have done.

I think that’s it for context. If more is needed, I will include it as I go. I will also come back here and update this post with links to my added posts.

Post 2: Flying from Buffalo to Barcelona
Post 3: Arriving in Barcelona
Post 4: Some photos to try and drive interest

Last edited:
Looking forward to reading your experience. I was on that cruise with you as well and will likely put together a trip report (...after I get caught up on all the work I missed while I was out). We had a great experience. I had worried that we'd miss the charm and smaller size of the Magic in Europe, but we really enjoyed the Dream.

Looking forward to reading your experience. I was on that cruise with you as well and will likely put together a trip report (...after I get caught up on all the work I missed while I was out). We had a great experience. I had worried that we'd miss the charm and smaller size of the Magic in Europe, but we really enjoyed the Dream.
Oh, nice! I’m putting together my trip report in attempts to put off the work that I should be doing. 😂

Some context
We flew on Delta out of Buffalo. We connected through JFK, with a 6-hour layover.

The Experience
Online check-in was a NIGHTMARE. That show Airline, from the early 2000s, is on YouTube now, and I caught one too many episodes where people were involuntarily denied boarding because flights were overbooked. They went in order of check-in, so I wanted to be checked in as early as possible. I tried to check us in, but something prevented my from checking in MIL. I used Delta’s chat feature and got it fixed, but it took them removing her from our reservation and putting her onto her own reservation. Once that was fixed, I had to redo online check in for everybody. Well, now my wife couldn’t be checked in online. So I had to go through their online chat again. Not it was fixed, but my wife’s boarding pass didn’t show TSA pre check. So I went through online chat again. Checked us all in, and now MY boarding pass didn’t show TSA pre check. It took three hours, from start to finish, to get everybody checked in AND have their boarding passes show TSA pre check.

We left Buffalo at 2:30, getting us to New York at about 3:30. Our flight to Barcelona was a red eye, so it didn’t leave until almost 11:00 pm. It was a very long day of travel.

We have a Capital One card which comes with complimentary access to the Virgin Airlines lounge at JFK. We tried to go to the lounge, but the Capital One passes are space-available, and no space was available. We just killed the time in the airport.

Delta is in Terminal 4, and I think all of the domestic flights are on the A side of the terminal while all of the international flights (or at least flights using the larger jets) are on the B side of the terminal. There is a shuttle between the A side and the B side. If you have a tight connection, TAKE THE SHUTTLE. It was nothing unmanageable, but it was a long walk from the A side to the B side.

Taking the walk did give us a great opportunity to see what the terminal offered, though. Nothing stuck out at all food wise - and even if it did, everything was absolutely PACKED. I use TripIt, and one of the cool features is that they include terminal maps that show shopping and dining. The only thing that looked even remotely interesting to me was Buffalo Wild Wings. So we ended up just finding our gate. Blue Point Brewery was right next to our gate (or what I thought was our gate - they ended up changing it after we had gotten situated), so we tried it.

I don’t know if it was just this brewery restaurant we went to, or if it’s universal in Terminal 4, but you had to scan a QR code not just to see the menu, but to order as well. MIL did not like this - she wanted to look at an actual menu. I wasn’t particularly taken with what was ON the menu, but I’ll eat anything, and I was happy to be sitting and getting something to eat. I was outvoted, MIL and wife went to wait in the ENORMOUS line at Shake Shack, and the girl and I got resettled at the gate.

If you’re at Terminal 4, get the fries from Shake Shack!!!!! If it’s a chain (and I’m pretty sure it is), we don’t have it in Buffalo. So it may be common knowledge, but the fries were REALLY tasty! The burger was just a burger, but the fries were absolute perfection. Salted, but not overly so. Perfectly crisp outside and light and fluffy on the inside.

What I wish I had known:
They have something in Terminal 4 called Minute Suites. I have some sensory issues, and I can get overstimulated very easily. It’s particularly bad in places like airports. My brain has a problem processing more than one sound stream, and it’s exhausting to try and listen to my family speak to me when there’s so much background noise going on. So one of the suites would have been perfect. I think the price, depending on which kind of suite you choose, was about $40 - $50 an hour. For some that may seem like a complete waste of money, but to have a quiet space to just give my mind a rest, I find tremendous value in that. So, if you have a long layover, and you need someplace quiet, do a Google search for Minute Suites and book yourself one.

Delta has a new system where you don’t need a boarding pass - they scan your face. It was weird, and it took some people by surprise. It is was only used on this flight, out of the four flight legs we had. I think once people adjust to it, it will make things SUPER easy.

You need to show your passport to board an international flight. This didn’t happen coming home from the UK, but leaving the US, you weren’t allowed to board unless you showed your passport. Have the passport open to the picture to speed things along.

People in ALL boarding zones line up to board when the first zone is called. Found that out the hard way. Almost all of the overhead bin space was gone by the time I got in line.

THOUGHTS
I know a lot of people don’t care for Southwest’s boarding. But if I have to choose between Southwest’s boarding procedures and Delta’s? I will take Southwest’s. EVERY. Single. Time. I hated Delta’s system of boarding. Ten different boarding zones and we were dead last on the international flights. I was able to upgrade us to Comfort+ for cheap for the connection flights between Buffalo and New York, which came with earlier boarding.

Overall, I was happy with Delta’s in-flight and ground crews. Their policies and procedures leave a lot to be desired, but every Delta representative I encountered was really great. I was super uncomfortable cramped into that seat, but even as cramped as I was, there were still nice things. Power available at the seats, and a TON of entertainment options - some 250 movies, 150 TV shows, and tons of audio, as well as games. My phone had almost a full charge by the time we landed - and I didn’t use it or plug it in on the flight because what Delta offered kept me entertained.

In-flight food was, well… in-flight food. 🤷🏼‍♂️ It wasn’t awful, but I won’t exactly be dreaming of the vegetarian ravioli and pasta salad. It was served with a friendly smile, and it was nice and hot. They also had breakfast before we landed, which was an egg and cheese sandwich.

ARRIVING IN BARCELONA
Some Context

This is the part that I was most nervous about. I live in Buffalo, so crossing the border into Canada isn’t really a big deal, but for whatever reason, it always gives me anxiety. So I was super nervous about dealing with entering another country I had never been to.

The Experience
It was a breeze. You presented yourself, along with the rest of your party, and your passports to a Spanish Immigration official. He looked at and stamped our passports, and waved us through.

We then moved to baggage claim. We grabbed our bags, and I was FULLY ready to now speak with a Spanish Customs official. Well, there are two ways to exit the baggage claim area: one way if you have nothing to declare, another way if you have something to declare. I went the nothing to declare route, and you’re now in Barcelona! Easy peezy! No Customs official if you have nothing to declare.

We had booked a hotel that offered a complimentary airport shuttle. The problem is that the shuttle only runs from 5:00 am until 10:00 am. So we had to take a taxi. We had four people, plus luggage for 4 people staying 10 nights in Europe. They had workers moving passengers through the taxi line and there was a special place for large parties to take a van.

They put us there, but I just let them know that I didn’t mind splitting into two vehicles. They were thrilled with that. We let the cabbies know where we were going, and it took us only about 10-15 minutes to get to the hotel.

What I Wish I Had Known
MOST people in Spain spoke English. The driver of the cab I was in did not. Fortunately, I majored in Spanish (and French) when I went to college. I haven’t used my Spanish in YEARS, but it was still somewhat there and I was able to converse and get us where we needed to go. It came easier as we spent more time in Spanish-speaking places. If you struggle with Spanish, or don’t know it at all, make sure you have a translation app (Google Translate, or Apple has their own built-in translation app) and download the Spanish language so you can use it offline. You most likely won’t need it, but you never know.

I didn’t need to worry at all about the customs and immigration process.

Thoughts
When I had booked the transfers with Disney Cruise Line, they told me to meet the DCL representative next to Cooofe on Level 1. They should have just told me to look for the sign that said “Cruises”! 😂 I was worried about finding them, but I saw the Cooofe restaurant when we arrived, so I knew where we needed to go the next morning.

Get yourself some anti jet lag tablets! I used Miers Labs No Jet Lag Homepathic remedy, and they worked great. I was exhausted, but that was not because of the time change, it was because I didn’t sleep during the flight. After sleeping at the hotel most of the afternoon, I was ready to go!

Some Photos

Can’t really tell if anybody is following, so I will throw in some photos. I know I like seeing those, so I will add some here.

IMG_6189.jpeg
Final descent into Barcelona

IMG_5443.jpeg
An attempt at an artsy photo of the drinks we ordered. I will talk in more detail about the hotel in my next post, but be aware that if you stay where we did (Best Western Plus Hotel Alfa Aeropuerto) and order water at the lounge, you will get a bottle of for-pay water. Is it gauche to ask for tap water in Spain or elsewhere in Europe? That’s a legit question to anybody who may know the answer.

Is it gauche to ask for tap water in Spain or elsewhere in Europe? That’s a legit question to anybody who may know the answer.
Fifty years ago, as a college student at a German university, we would frequently ask for “normales wasser” (in addition to beer!). They’d look at us like we were crazy, but they’d bring a glass of tap water. I can’t remember what we did in Spain or the other countries we visited, though!

Fifty years ago, as a college student at a German university, we would frequently ask for “normales wasser” (in addition to beer!). They’d look at us like we were crazy, but they’d bring a glass of tap water. I can’t remember what we did in Spain or the other countries we visited, though!
Good to know! Years ago, I was in high school when I went to France. We were in Nice, and I was so hot I thought I would pass out. We stopped at a cafe. All I wanted was water. They muttered something, but all I heard was l’eau. So I said, “YES! L’eau!”

Turns out, they asked if I wanted l’eau à la menthe-mint water. Sounds refreshing, but it was just an artificially colored, artificially flavored, VERY sweetened syrup. And, as is standard in Europe, no ice. I felt worse after drinking the water than I did when I asked for it. 😂😂

I will talk in more detail about the hotel in my next post, but be aware that if you stay where we did (Best Western Plus Hotel Alfa Aeropuerto) and order water at the lounge, you will get a bottle of for-pay water. Is it gauche to ask for tap water in Spain or elsewhere in Europe? That’s a legit question to anybody who may know the answer.
We've been to Barcelona a few times, and I've always had to pay 1-2 euros for a bottle of water. Most of what I see in Europe inspires me to think America could be a lot better...but unlimited complementary ice & water is something we can all be proud of! :)

I'm following as well. We got off the cruise the day you got on (Barcelona round trip) so I'm following to see the similarities and ideas for what I could've done different or better. Enjoying reading along!

We've been to Barcelona a few times, and I've always had to pay 1-2 euros for a bottle of water. Most of what I see in Europe inspires me to think America could be a lot better...but unlimited complementary ice & water is something we can all be proud of! :)
Absolutely. I don’t mind paying for bottled water if it’s the norm, I just don’t want to be the doofus to ask for tap water if you just don’t do that. 😂 It was particularly surprising given that when I filled my water bottle embarkation morning in the room, the water was super clear and tasted really clean.

I'm following as well. We got off the cruise the day you got on (Barcelona round trip) so I'm following to see the similarities and ideas for what I could've done different or better. Enjoying reading along!
I don’t know what the differences are in open-loop cruises outside of Europe, but I didn’t particularly like it. It wasn’t bad-even in the slightest-it was just weird. For example, and this may just be a UK thing, but we had to present to UK immigration officials on the ship on a sea day. I’ll talk more about that in later posts, but it was different. I can’t say I wouldn’t sail an open-loop cruise, but I definitely prefer closed-loop.

We were on your cruise and also happened to be on the same flight from JFK to Barcelona as you.

Looking forward to following along.

Great start! I am looking forward to reading more.

As to the water question: First, don't ever think of Europe as one entity when it comes to any question of what the custom is. Just as every country has its own language, a lot of things are different. Spanish food is different from Italian, French, German, Swedish etc. So is habits about when to eat (very late in Spain, early in Scandinavia) and so on. So, any experience in another European country about water never helps with the current country. In general I would recommend to directly ask for "tap water" to clarify you don't want a bottle. In France for example free water is very much standard, in Germany they might very well tell you that they don't serve that. I don't have enough experience with Spain to say what is custom there. And you can always ask for extra ice cubes if you don't get any. If it is a bar serving cocktails, too, they will have ice. The amount you get might vary though...

I don’t know what the differences are in open-loop cruises outside of Europe, but I didn’t particularly like it. It wasn’t bad-even in the slightest-it was just weird. For example, and this may just be a UK thing, but we had to present to UK immigration officials on the ship on a sea day. I’ll talk more about that in later posts, but it was different. I can’t say I wouldn’t sail an open-loop cruise, but I definitely prefer closed-loop.
This is actually an outcome of Brexit. Because the UK left the European Union, you now have to present passports. When you do an 'open loop' within the EU, you don't have to worry about passports (e.g., start in Rome and end in Barcelona). Agree it was a bit of a drag to do on the ship, but it prevented us from having to do it when we disembarked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter