• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

I think it will be for both. You have to provide Disney info on what you want to do in order for Genie/G+ to build an itinerary and provide continually updated info on the rides/attractions you told it you are interested in. It would have been nice of Disney to answer these basic questions for us, but that hasn't happened yet. They really don't want us to know the "details" about how the limits are going to work.
I can understand the need to provide Disney with your top picks for Genie but why is it even necessary for Genie+?

I can understand the need to provide Disney with your top picks for Genie but why is it even necessary for Genie+?
I don’t think G+ is going to just show a list of all LL rides and next available times. Nothing from media previews discussed by vloggers indicates that. It seems that the plan is to create a day customized with your “top picks”, subject to Disney’s undisclosed G+ limitations. This is just my guess based on what very little info we have been given, and I may be completely wrong! We will find out how it really works soon, though.

The lack of 120 minutes mentioned in anything official doesn’t bode well for it actually being a thing at roll out.
Disney is famous for giving incomplete information. It allows them to make changes without changing something they published earlier.

For instance, it was pretty well known that you could show up late for your 1-hour FP return window and you would still be permitted to ride. It was never published anywhere by Disney but it was a long-standing practice. Similarly, if you are in line for an attraction when the park closes, you still get to ride. It's not written anywhere on a Disney website but that's the way it has always been.

There have been enough media and TA reports that indicate that there will be a 120-minute waiting period for selecting a second G+ for me to feel pretty confident that it's true. Or else a lot of people really didn't have their listening ears on when that part of the presentation was running.

Yeah, but you’ll care if that person was online and part of a crowd booking passes that then pushes your time out to 8pm just so that they can get one more ride in.
What does this even mean? If someone is online booking a pass to ride a ride, how is that "skirting the rules" or doing anything wrong? And yes, any G+ that's booked will push subsequent return times out further; that's literally the way the system is designed. It's not like that person is booking so they can ride that ride one more time. They're constrained by the limit of one G+ per ride so they can't schedule it again.

We're all going to be "online and part of a crowd booking passes" every single day ( that we pay for G+) of our vacations.

According to Molly, top ILL purchase price is $15 right now. That can change but that's the most expensive starting price and it will be for RotR both weekdays and weekends.
Wow!! These are pretty pricey! It’s 5 of us going on Saturday to HS and we’re going to have to pay $150? more for Greed+ and ILL 😲

You look at one person for G+ and ROTR and think," $30? That isn't too bad". Then you do the math for 5 people for 8 days...
Disney wants you to think of the price of ILL$ as the cost to skip the line, not the cost to ride the ride. And there really is something to that. It can be quite valuable to skip a hot and tedious line of 90 minutes or more---especially if you have whining kids and only limited time in the park, and have already sunk huge sums of money into your vacation. But at some point, it's hard to avoid feeling like you just paid $10, $20, or more to ride a ride. Especially with short rides like SDMT, that is a tough pill to swallow. You're paying more money than it costs to see a movie, for a cute and fun but hardly thrilling ride that lasts less than 1% as long as a movie! Even if you don't add up the costs for multiple rides and multiple family members over multiple days, it's still a lot of money! And you're right that, once you do add it up . . . .

Disney is famous for giving incomplete information. It allows them to make changes without changing something they published earlier.

For instance, it was pretty well known that you could show up late for your 1-hour FP return window and you would still be permitted to ride. It was never published anywhere by Disney but it was a long-standing practice. Similarly, if you are in line for an attraction when the park closes, you still get to ride. It's not written anywhere on a Disney website but that's the way it has always been.

There have been enough media and TA reports that indicate that there will be a 120-minute waiting period for selecting a second G+ for me to feel pretty confident that it's true. Or else a lot of people really didn't have their listening ears on when that part of the presentation was running.

Agreed. Disney usually publishes only the bare minimum, then we figure it out on our own.

Now it seems they're utilizing bloggers/vloggers as a free resource to help disseminate info. The 120 minute thing is being reported by multiple sources and the odds are slim that every single one of them are wrong.

Another reason I think the 120 minute rule exists is Maxpass users have posted that it worked the same way. It was 90 minutes instead of 120, but it worked for stacking. Disney never published anything about that either.

😦😦$1200 is nothing to sneeze at!
Right now, I won’t say it alone is making us reconsider our plans. It is the total price and thinking what else we could do for that money. Family of 5. We had FP+ system down and never waited in lines more than maybe 50 minutes. Tickets for our week would be be $3000 for 6 day non-park hopper. Add in ILL and Genie+ and that is $4200, roughly. Add in onsite hotel, food, airfare and we are looking at 10k.

We went for a week in 2015, stayed at Poly and spent $5500 total!

Agreed. Disney usually publishes only the bare minimum, then we figure it out on our own.

Now it seems they're utilizing bloggers/vloggers as a free resource to help disseminate info. The 120 minute thing is being reported by multiple sources and the odds are slim that every single one of them are wrong.

Another reason I think the 120 minute rule exists is Maxpass users have posted that it worked the same way. It was 90 minutes instead of 120, but it worked for stacking. Disney never published anything about that either.

Thank you! This is what I have been trying to say! Maxpass also said "one at a time" and "after you redeem" but those who knew the system knew about the 90 minute rule.

Wouldn't it make more sense that Disney took an already great system- maxpass- abs just tweaked it a bit? I think it's going to work very similar.

Refresh? Still a thing. As people drop passes they would show up with an earlier time..

I think you will be able to scroll through available genie plus selections and see the available next time for each of them.

Legacy paper FPs also had a similar feature built in (i.e., you could pull another FP after 2 hours if your return time was further out than that).

Since they've used a similar model for multiple iterations of line skipping products, it seems reasonable to predict they would incorporate this kind of feature in G+ unless it will somehow throw a wrench in the works.

Right now, I won’t say it alone is making us reconsider our plans. It is the total price and thinking what else we could do for that money. Family of 5. We had FP+ system down and never waited in lines more than maybe 50 minutes. Tickets for our week would be be $3000 for 6 day non-park hopper. Add in ILL and Genie+ and that is $4200, roughly. Add in onsite hotel, food, airfare and we are looking at 10k.

We went for a week in 2015, stayed at Poly and spent $5500 total!
We downgraded our AKL-kidani 1 bedroom to AOA Nemo and saved $2700. This is resort+7 day tickets. Now I can pay for genie+, LL, dessert parties and all my dining - Space220, BOG, Ohana, Boma, Tusker

We have 4 riders and one infant so each time we will be multiplying LL and genie+ by 4.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if ILL$ allows you to choose the ride time or do you have to purchase the time it gives you? In other words, if I want to park hop to HS later in the day, can I wake up at 7:00 and select a late afternoon time for ROR, or do I have to continue checking throughout the day for when a late afternoon time is available?

And in the FP+ days you could show up 5 minutes earlier than the beginning of your FP+ window or up to 15 minutes later than the end of the window and still get a green Mickey. Disney never posted this information in writing, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter