Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also watch out for Holiday Specials, the next one should be St. Patrick's Day, March 17. I imagine most stores will have some type of gift card promo's.

Do places do St. Patrick's day promos? I don't recall much other than sales on corned beef and soda bread at the grocery stores in past years, but I wasn't stalking this thread super hard then, either. There was nothing of particular note for Valentine's Day this year, and not much for President's Day, either, which seem like bigger holidays than St. Patrick's Day. Not arguing with you, but trying not to get my hopes up for nothing. This dry spell is killing me.

Last Wednesday I used Dosh to buy Sams gift cards in club, and then I turned around and bought Disney gift cards online at sams so I could buy the $150 packs. I combined it with a bonus offer from my credit card.

The only thing that didn’t work for me was ebates didn’t credit for my Samsclub.com purchase. ( I also bought dog food in hopes it would still generate cash back.)

I've never used Disney GCs to pay for our vacations at WDW however I became quite intrigued when was reading around about it. I have read a lot of the posts on this thread and there is so much info! I have a question and forgive me if it's been addressed previously. This is my first time to purchase GCs and I don't want to mess up by purchasing the wrong cards!

We were at our local Krogers tonight and I could only find blister packs of $45 Disney GCs and I'd have to purchase loads of them to pay off our trip. I rounded the corner and saw a special display in the aisle and it had a different kind of Disney GC that I'd never seen before. Some of them were for 3 or 4 day WDW tickets with odd amounts for their dollar values and then there was this one pictured below (sorry if they are huge).

I know I kind of sound totally clueless when I ask this but here goes.. we're all "virtial BFFs" right? We can laugh together!

Is this comparable to a regular Disney gift card? I'm hoping to just be able to purchase 6 to 8 of these using our Discover cards and be done with purchasing Disney GCs.

2ahwmjl.jpg

24vk7ic.jpg
I hope we are getting this design at my Kroger! An aunt is giving me $2k in cash for her part of a cruise trip we are taking, and I planned on turning it into as much Disney money as possible and then giving her the extra on a gift card as spending money. She LOVES Goofy!

Can anyone tell me a little about the newer Safeway rewards where you can use them for grocery coupons instead of gas? How long do those coupons last after you redeem rewards for one?

Not as good as the gas rewards. For every $100 you spend in groceries you get 1 grocery reward point. You have to go on line to see the rewards available. For example: 1 grocery reward point = $1 off bananas.

RMN $5 off $50 did not work on a gift card for me. I hope to still earn the $2 off $30 though. It brings a $50 gift card down to $45.50 - saving 9%. I'm not earning any credit card rewards on them, but I'm also not driving anywhere and it only takes a couple of minutes to place the order and submit the gc payment onto my WDW package. :) Fingers crossed the $2 RMN credit applies 3x.

Can anyone tell me a little about the newer Safeway rewards where you can use them for grocery coupons instead of gas? How long do those coupons last after you redeem rewards for one?

Once you clip a reward towards a grocery reward item you have until the end of the following calendar month to use the reward. So rewards clipped in February are good until the end of March. I find redeeming the rewards for grocery to be a better value for me than using them for gas savings. With a max 10-gallon fill up with my small gas tank and only needing to fill up twice a month, I have to be careful not to earn more gas rewards than I can use before they expired. Plus, the Chevron stations that take the gas rewards can be as high as 30 cents per gallon more than Costco or Kroger stations so I'm losing some of the value by paying the higher gas prices. The rewards that require redeeming more than one reward point have a better value. For example, 1 reward gets your $1.00 off your grocery purchase, but there is a 4 reward item that give you $7 off a meat purchase and a 7 reward item gets you $10 off your grocery purchase. It seems like you can only redeem each reward once per month, so you couldn't use the $10 off your grocery purchase reward multiple times.

Last Wednesday I used Dosh to buy Sams gift cards in club, and then I turned around and bought Disney gift cards online at sams so I could buy the $150 packs. I combined it with a bonus offer from my credit card.

The only thing that didn’t work for me was ebates didn’t credit for my Samsclub.com purchase. ( I also bought dog food in hopes it would still generate cash back.)

Another Dosh/Sam’s question (thanks for humoring me!). When I was a Sam’s member YEARS ago, you had to pay with cash, check or debit. Is that still the case? If so, do you link your debit card to Dosh and that works for cash back? Or can you now use a credit card at Sam’s?

Another Dosh/Sam’s question (thanks for humoring me!). When I was a Sam’s member YEARS ago, you had to pay with cash, check or debit. Is that still the case? If so, do you link your debit card to Dosh and that works for cash back? Or can you now use a credit card at Sam’s?
You can use credit cards

Once you clip a reward towards a grocery reward item you have until the end of the following calendar month to use the reward. So rewards clipped in February are good until the end of March. I find redeeming the rewards for grocery to be a better value for me than using them for gas savings. With a max 10-gallon fill up with my small gas tank and only needing to fill up twice a month, I have to be careful not to earn more gas rewards than I can use before they expired. Plus, the Chevron stations that take the gas rewards can be as high as 30 cents per gallon more than Costco or Kroger stations so I'm losing some of the value by paying the higher gas prices. The rewards that require redeeming more than one reward point have a better value. For example, 1 reward gets your $1.00 off your grocery purchase, but there is a 4 reward item that give you $7 off a meat purchase and a 7 reward item gets you $10 off your grocery purchase. It seems like you can only redeem each reward once per month, so you couldn't use the $10 off your grocery purchase reward multiple times.
Thanks for all the info! There are no convenient gas stations by us so I always ignored them, but hadn't seen a gift card deal that interested me for the new rewards until the current happy one. If I get a Happy GC with my discover for enough to earn that $7 meat coupon, that's a 19% savings then.

The best way to use this is during grocery store promotions, Kroger 4x fuel so this depends on where you live and what grocery stores are around you. This info would be most useful for us to help you out. Since you're thinking of buying Visa GC's you may want to join Swagbucks.com. Are you a member?

DoC is a great resource, here's that link: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/

Also watch out for Holiday Specials, the next one should be St. Patrick's Day, March 17. I imagine most stores will have some type of gift card promo's.

I just joined Swagbucks, but I'm still figuring it out. I initially thought it was just a site to do surveys and earn money/gift cards. Either I'm not looking in the right place on doctorofcredit.com, or I'm not finding it particularly helpful.

I live in Delaware, and we do not have Kroger here, so I'm not at all familiar with the promotions that have been referenced there. I thought I was already a ways down a rabbit hole trying to just research and crunch the numbers with basics - prices of gift cards in stores and using different credit card rewards. The rabbit hole appears to be a chasm, just judging from reading the last few pages of posts. Our last trip we just got a $500 Disney GC from Sam's at the same time Discover was giving 5% at warehouse stores, but didn't do much beyond that. I started this time with just figuring out the best way to use some of the rewards we had. It started with just figuring out how we could use our Amazon Prime Visa rewards for our trip. That's why I bought the $150 in GCs from Sam's, then used the rewards we had for a statement credit.

I am also going to attempt to wade into the waters of the "I love credit cards" thread that overlaps with this one a bit. I know one of the issues I'm having with all of this and deciding how far to take the GC route is how much more I'd be saving vs. getting straight credit card rewards and whether I'm just spending a lot of time and effort for what may not be much of a savings (e.g., if I just pay for our trip with our Chase Sapphire Reserve, we'll essentially get about 4.5% towards our next trip with the 3x points and transferring the points to Southwest for our flights - which I forgot about at one point when considering buying a lot of the GCs at 4.6% discount).

I have a few specific questions:

Can I use Dosh for Sam's online?

What I don't fully understand with Dosh - are they just tracking my purchase or is the credit card payment actually processing through them? And, along those lines, will there be any issues with earning my credit card rewards otherwise, e.g., 3x points I get on my Chase Sapphire on dining, 2x points I get on my Capital One Venture, etc.?

In using the 3 $50 Disney GCs I bought from Sam's, I found out you can only pay with 2 per day, and it also got me thinking about if we had to cancel our trip for some reason (was told by a castmember that the money would be returned onto each card) - so does everyone else use Disneygiftcard.com to transfer to one card, then in turn pay with that one to try to streamline this?

I am also going to attempt to wade into the waters of the "I love credit cards" thread that overlaps with this one a bit. I know one of the issues I'm having with all of this and deciding how far to take the GC route is how much more I'd be saving vs. getting straight credit card rewards and whether I'm just spending a lot of time and effort for what may not be much of a savings (e.g., if I just pay for our trip with our Chase Sapphire Reserve, we'll essentially get about 4.5% towards our next trip with the 3x points and transferring the points to Southwest for our flights - which I forgot about at one point when considering buying a lot of the GCs at 4.6% discount).

The reason people buy the discounted gc's on the I Love Credit card thread is also because they are maximizing a category spend or using an offer on the card that gives it a better discount. Using the right card and deals you could easily get that many points by buying gc as if you paid for the trip directly and save money doing it. You'd need more than the CSR to do it though and that's where the other thread comes in. Read the first page with the sticky's if you haven't and then ask questions, there not much reason to try and read the entire thing or even go back a few pages. It's better to jump in with questions and then try to keep up from where you started. It moves so fast even the regulars on the thread won't read back when they come back from vacation.

Dosh is in store only for Sams. I got the best deal by buying Sams gift cards in club while combining a bonus on one of my credit cards (pre-linked to the Dosh app) with Dosh 2% savings and then buying the $150 packs of Disney gift cards on Sams online. I had referred my husband for the Chase Disney Visa so I purchased the $500 minimum spend amount in Sams gift cards. If everything works out right, we should have several hundred dollars in bonuses from my one trip to Sams! $305 in Chase rewards, $10 in Dosh rewards, and $28 in Sams online gift card savings. I spent $590 total, but that included dog food, too.

If you’re new to Dosh, consider using a Dis member’s referral.

You can pay with almost any credit card at Sams now.

Ugh I know this is a dumb question, but what is the website that you can purchase gift cards. Any store giftcards.

I had referred my husband for the Chase Disney Visa so I purchased the $500 minimum spend amount in Sams gift cards. If everything works out right, we should have several hundred dollars in bonuses from my one trip to Sams! $305 in Chase rewards, $10 in Dosh rewards, and $28 in Sams online gift card savings. I spent $590 total, but that included dog food, too. If you’re new to Dosh, consider using a Dis member’s referral.
Can you further explain the Dis Member's referral and the benefits of the Chase Disney Visa? I have seen it advertised but didn't know the ins-and-outs benefits especially for purchases of DGC at Sam's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter