Disney gives gay couples 'Fairy Tale Weddings'

I've never posted over here, but saw a thread on the "families" board and decided to come over and post how THRILLED I was to hear this! It's about time! :woohoo: :cheer2:

For the life of me, I will never understand the feelings that some people have!

Viki (or anyone else who managed it), how do you stay so level-headed?

It really bothered me when another poster (on the other thread) used my words to suggest that others needed to apologize yet was unable to apologize for their own attack. I accept that we all make mistakes, but we only learn if we acknowledge these errors.

How do I stay calm and clearly point to the attack without attacking back? Help?

How do I stay calm and clearly point to the attack without attacking back? Help?

Hema:

Welll as one Canadian to another =-> sometimes it's really really hard.

I posted once in that thread -- as level headed as I possibly could. I don't know if my post lead to the thread closure indirectly or just what.

I do know this -- some people can't have a rational discussion. So.. on message boards in general when it comes to polarizing topics, trying to have a rational discussion becomes kinda like teaching a pig to dance: Nobody learns anything and by the end of it, everyone's annoyed. ;)

Knox

It really bothered me when another poster (on the other thread) used my words to suggest that others needed to apologize yet was unable to apologize for their own attack. I accept that we all make mistakes, but we only learn if we acknowledge these errors.

Alcohol, lots and lots of alcohol. And a happy place. Think of your happy place. And if all else fails, a really big hammer.

I Dont know how level headed I remained :rolleyes1 , but at some point people need to be shook a bit and see the reality of what they are saying and how it truly effects other people to make such comments without really thinking about that they are saying.

Comments like , not saying im ok with THIS but ...or I dont agree with the "lifestyle" but...are just really plain not acceptable. Comming back with the argument of your free to have your opinion...yet another comment in my book that is not ok when speaking of this topic.

Whens the last time to you saw a topic, for example , on interacial marriage and saw somebody posting there "opinion on it" ? They would be slammed into next tuesday and the post immediatly removed off the board. But its a- ok to have "opinions " on any topic that is derogitory to homosexuals.

I for one refuse to tip toe around with these rediculous people and any chance i get try to show them that they should stop and think before they insult and hurt their fellow human beings, im going to take it.

If that means calling them to task for their rude and insensitive comments that are disguised as veiled compliments and proof of "how tolerant they have become" so be it.

Well, you're being very kind. :)

Frankly I agree with two of the posters below: it's not OK to have an opinion on this issue that you can't defend and an adult beverage is always a good idea! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Well, you're being very kind. :)

Frankly I agree with two of the posters below: it's not OK to have an opinion on this issue that you can't defend and an adult beverage is always a good idea! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

And a hammer.

Thanks for the ideas.

I guess I'm trying to walk a thread-like line.

I do, actually, believe that it is okay for a person not to be okay with something even when I think it is a ludicrous position. But, I do NOT think it is okay to use that belief in a way that harms others--either directly or indirectly. Comments like, "X is fine, but..." harm others and therefore go beyond the scope of personal belief.

I believe that the legal and political systems should be dedicated towards improving equality for all. (As a Canadian, I often wonder why Americans think that they live in the land of the free while the US political system passes laws making it illegal to declare your love and commitment. But that is a topic for another discussion and one where I acknowledge that I do not know enough about to discuss it fairly.)

I also believe that faith and religion are about constant questioning and active engagement. But, I have known people who were not comfortable with this approach to life and who needed someone or something to tell them how to live. If this works for someone then they have the right to live their life as they choose. But, I don't see how this can be interpreted as meaning that they can also tell me how to live my life or engage in faith.

Ah well...it's true that I'm probably just trying to engage a conversation that doesn't work in this forum.

Thanks for being here to listen.

Sorry I'm way behind on the news, but I saw this in the travel section of my local news, and I wanted to say "Wooo Hoooo! When and if the day comes for my son I want to see Timon and Pumbaa at the ceremony. Does anyone remember when they interviewed Elton John about Lion King, and they asked if he thought Disney would ever have gay couples in their movies, and he said, "What makes you think they don't have them now?"

Sorry I'm way behind on the news, but I saw this in the travel section of my local news, and I wanted to say "Wooo Hoooo! When and if the day comes for my son I want to see Timon and Pumbaa at the ceremony. Does anyone remember when they interviewed Elton John about Lion King, and they asked if he thought Disney would ever have gay couples in their movies, and he said, "What makes you think they don't have them now?"

how very funny about what elton john said! i never knew that! lol. makes sense tho ... i've never really thought about it before...

Hi! I am currently enrolled in a Disney Seminar at school and am writing my final paper on Disney weddings. First of all let me say I am SO excited that there are gay weddings at Disney now! In terms of my paper I was wondering what you guys thought the popularity of this new service will be? Do you think that the lack of queer heroes and herioines in Disney movies will contribute to the use of this service? How much do you think "Cinderella" stories etc. motivate people to marry at Disney in the first place? Thanks for all of your input!!!

x, CJD

I don't think heroes or heroines have much to do with the issue at all. I think same gendered couples will have ceremonies at WDW for the same reason any other couple would. They like Disney and they have the money to have the ceremony there.

The only reason this is even a media issue is because Disney didn't allow it, prior to now. If they'd always been inclusive this wouldn't be such a huge deal.

Nice that they finally decided to treat everyone equally, but I'm not going to give them a gold star for their delay. :confused3

Not sure if that gives you any useful information or not, but it is my opinion and you asked. ;)

It's not a hero/heroine issue for me either. It's about a dream - what Disney stands for. I want my prince charming as much as the girl next door.:love: And I'm sure the ladies on our board want their princess. princess: Love is universal and speaks to everyone, regardless of orientation. Disney love stories affected me greatly growing up, and still do to this day. It's not easy finding that special someone - and sometimes you need to be reminded what wishing upon a star might one day do for you :wizard:

of course! i am in no way saying that love for male/male couples or female/female couples is different than that of male/female couples (or any type of couple) or that a someone couldn't relate to a disney love story because it did not reflect his or her exact situation. i guess what i'm asking is do you think a disney wedding or honeymoon is separate from the movies? if so, what do you say about having the characters as a part of the ceremony? i look at the female leads of so many disney movies and they are SO passive (snow white and sleeping beauty actually have to be awakened by men). for me, i would not want to be married in front of a castle that represented this legacy. do people separate this when marrying? or not care? does the fantasy of love transcend the white hetero norms?

of course! i am in no way saying that love for male/male couples or female/female couples is different than that of male/female couples (or any type of couple) or that a someone couldn't relate to a disney love story because it did not reflect his or her exact situation. i guess what i'm asking is do you think a disney wedding or honeymoon is separate from the movies? if so, what do you say about having the characters as a part of the ceremony? i look at the female leads of so many disney movies and they are SO passive (snow white and sleeping beauty actually have to be awakened by men). for me, i would not want to be married in front of a castle that represented this legacy. do people separate this when marrying? or not care? does the fantasy of love transcend the white hetero norms?

Oh, my, nothing personal, but I hate PC speak like "white, hetero norms." It is soooooo brain numbing, because it sounds like it's descriptive of something really important, but it's only a very narrow slice of a complex story.

In terms of story, to answer your question from another perspective, here's my take. In almost all of the Disney movies I've ever watched the tale turns towards the disenfranchised. For example in Cinderella the servant girl wins the Prince. In Snow White, the Queen is toppled. In Hercules the gods themselves take a beating (with a gay Greek chorus leading the way). You get the idea. Disney storytelling has always been queer-friendly because in the narratives the weak become strong, the powerful are toppled, and the most enchanting characters are usually small and vulnerable (as a way for kids who are watching to find their way into the narrative). All of this is very "gay."

I'm a little confused about the question - do I want the characters there? If you mean physically there as part of a theme, no way. My wedding will be my day to -live- the dream. I am the prince charming. No need for impersonators. ;) I do not associate Disney movies with white hetero norms. It's just too big a stretch for me, although I can see where others come from. I very much agree with Viki about the 'gay' victory themes throughout Disney movies. The little guy always wins. And their life becomes fabulous. And all the creatures of the world burst into gleeful song at the sight of their love/triumph. Also, I think Disney has evolved with the times in terms of making the women more prominent. Lilo and Stitch, Pocahontas and The Little Mermaid I think are examples (though I haven't seen any of them in a while; please correct me if I am mistaken).

That's what I'm hoping for. When I marry the guy of my dreams, I want my family and friends there. And beneathe the firework-lit castle I want them to celebrate with us. Jump and shout and make merry. To me the castle symbolizes triumph and romance. Romance in the broader sense of the term. A passion for life. A flare for adventure. A desire to better ourselves and live the impossible dream.

So...that's why there is a big print of the castle in my bedroom. It reminds me that one day my prince will come, and that some day soon we'll stick a trident in the soft white underbelly of homophobic America. pirate:

When I get married I want all the Disney gay couples there. Jumba and Pleekley, Chip and Dale, The Mad Hatter and The March Hare, Mickey and Goofy. I'll take Terk as the token lesbian, and Tarzan just because all gay weddings need a muscular man in a loin cloth.

Just kidding, of course :)

While I'm not financially or emotionally ready for a wedding, if and when I do get married I would probably go for a subtle and traditional, but still Disney location. Sunset Point at the Polynesian is a beautiful location, and it's not as stuffy and formal as the Wedding Pavilion. It's still a long ways away though, so who knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter