Status
Not open for further replies.

Salute631

Earning My Ears
Due to Covid-19 my wife and I had a bunch of points to burn before our use year was up, we rented a large two bedroom suite just to use up the points. Since it was just us I called maid service and told them don't bother servicing our room and if we needed anything we'd call, we went out for a little while and came back to a message light flashing on the phone. I called to retrieve the message they wanted to make sure I didn't want service or need service I told them that we're fine, I was then informed that even though we don't need maid service they would need to do a daily room inspection. We've been members of the vacation club for well over 10 years I questioned it and they said it's been policy for the last couple of years. So basically they wait until you're not in the room and then come inspect your room while you are not present to me this is done intentionally. When you put up a do not disturb sign or tell them you don't want the maid on your room it usually means you want uninterrupted privacy not some one searching your room without you present

I read an article a few months ago didn't give it a second thought until now, A man checked into a Disney Resort and he had brought a rifle with him. He was a Florida resident 100% legal to own transport carry and have with him, but it's against Disney policy. As far as I'm concerned Disney's private property and if Disney wants a no gun policy even if I disagree and truly believe no guns zone means Target Rich environment for a criminal because they don't follow no gun zone signs or rules only law abiding citizens do it's Disney's property they can do what they want. And if you don't agree with their policy spend your money somewhere else, Apparently the police were called they found out the man was 100% legal under Florida law and being a Florida resident but he was made to check his weapon into Animal Kingdom where I assume they have a weapons vault in case they have to put down a dangerous or sick animal. (Pure assumption on my part but logical as far as why it was Animal Kingdom he had to store it) usually legal gun owners don't flash their weapon or make it known that they have one with them unless it's for self protection, they're hunting, target shooting etc.

After hearing about the room inspection policy it made more sense to me on why the man got caught with the weapon he probably had it by the bed or in a closet for self protection and when they inspected his room they saw it and called the police who did not charge him just made him store it Animal Kingdom until he left.

I retired from law enforcement as far as a paid hotel room is concerned they're treated the same as a home when it comes to searches they need a warrant and probable cause to search your room yet Disney calls it an inspection and searches your room anyways while you're not there

When I get he home I am going to review my contract completely and have a lawyer review it as well I replayed and recorded the message and response i got about mandatory room inspection since it's a new policy I doubt it's in the contract.

They wait for you to leave before inspecting/searching your room how do you know they aren't going through your luggage, your drawers, stealing money or prescription medicine or sniffing your wife or daughters used panties ??? It's bad enough upon checking into a room we usually check for hidden cameras all the time now because the are so easy to hide by an employee or previous guest.

Not saying Disney employees are criminals or perverts but in ANY organization there are scumbags and perverts so in closing just realize if you are staying at a Disney Resort your room is being searched without your knowledge or permission and in your absence. I wonder why they do it when you are not present?? And I wonder why they feel the need to enter your room while your not present at all if you specifically ask them not to barring an emergency or an actual need like a broken water pipe causing flooding

This policy was enacted a few years ago, if I recall correctly shortly after the terrible Las Vegas mass shooting incident. It was endlessly debated on the message boards at that time, and if it was not legal for them to do this in regular hotel rooms or DVC rooms I'm sure it would have been unearthed at that time, as many people arguing about it were VERY against it. But have fun checking on it, hopefully the lawyer won't be too expensive.

One more point believe it or not I have been a Disney fan for as long as I can remember. Disney started going downhill once Walt and Roy Disney we're no longer officially part of the organization it's now just part of a corporation a lot of the quote Disney magic is gone. it's still one of the best places in the United States to visit and bring your family but it's getting more and more corporate and woke by the day. Also Joe Rohde will be missed more than he knows one of the most influential imagineers of all time

As others have noted, this policy was put in place about 3 years ago. This is not a new policy. Many speculated it was in response to the Vegas shooting. When it started, FL was also debating legislation which would have made hotels liable if human trafficking was occurring on their property. While that legislation didn't pass, FL does mandate that hospitality employees receive training in spotting human trafficking on resort/hotel/motel property. I'm sure the Disney legal team went over this policy with a fine-toothed comb before it was implemented.

As others have noted, this policy was put in place about 3 years ago. This is not a new policy. Many speculated it was in response to the Vegas shooting. When it started, FL was also debating legislation which would have made hotels liable if human trafficking was occurring on their property. While that legislation didn't pass, FL does mandate that hospitality employees receive training in spotting human trafficking on resort/hotel/motel property. I'm sure the Disney legal team went over this policy with a fine-toothed comb before it was implemented.

All of this. Plus Disney hotels are not the only ones doing it. They are just transparent about it.

By "search" the room, they take a glance around, remove the trash, and reportedly if you are in will flush the toilet. They are not opening drawers and suitcases.

As a FYI, those rights that are guaranteed under the constitution (freedom of the press, speech, warrantless seizure, etc.) are rights guaranteed to private people against government intrusion, not a private company
As a retired Law Enforcement officer that has written more warrants than I can remember I can assure you you need a warrant to enter a hotel room

As a retired Law Enforcement officer that has written more warrants than I can remember I can assure you you need a warrant to enter a hotel room
For law enforcement to enter a hotel room, yes. But WDW owns the property -- the property owner or a representative may enter a hotel room.

If you have stayed at WDW in the past 3 years, you simply didn't notice the "room checks." At DVC resorts, it's usually the daily trash pick-up.

As everyone has said already this has been in place for years and never really bothered us. It usually happened while we were at the parks, but if we were there they'd "empty the trash" then leave. What we have noticed during our two COVID stays at WDW is that they wont come in while you are there. Which can be quite inconvenient if you are doing a resort only stay and aren't leaving your room any time soon that day! We did a resort only stay in a SSR 1 bedroom in December and a very over zealous CM knocked twice and called twice in a 3 hour period. We had no plans on leaving as our daughter was virtual schooling and we weren't going to the pool until she finished. Im all for supporting CM safety and I know it's a COVID protocol, but that part is a pain in the rear. We offered to step on the patio but she didn't accept.

I usually make it easy on them and collect all the trash cans and put them by the 2 from the kitchen...they really do just pop in and out and it did start shortly after the Las Vegas shootings.

The only exceptions are exigent circumstances IE somebody dying getting raped etc
Did a cop enter your room or a housekeeper?
Neither so far I was told of this yesterday today when they showed up I answered the door in my bathrobe handed out the trash and said thank you have a wonderful day and closed the door and locked it behind me

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter