Disney Masks ... Predictable

I'm under no allusions that wearing the same mask over and over again with cleanings every few days is going to protect me. I think of it as something to block stuff coming out of my mouth/nose from exiting in any kind of liquid state, which is totally in line with CDC recommendations for the public to wear masks. That's precisely what standard surgical/procedure masks are for. You known, when there's a patient who may have something exposed, or even extremely exposed like with open heart surgery.
It grosses me out to watch folks (in public) reach under their masks and wipe/touch their face then proceed to touch everything in site. Yuck!

A team at Michigan State University developed a process using heat as a means of disinfecting masks for reuse by the medical personnel at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, MI. It's been a few weeks since I read the article, but I believe the turnaround time was 3 days. I'm not sure how long the masks were actually receiving heat treatment and how long they were simply left sitting before being packaged to send back to the hospital.

It's kind of complicated, but I remember a college class project (it was make your own startup company) where our proposed product was a medical device that needed to be in sterile packaging. The project leader had family experience in medical instruments, and we found from him that the typical sterilization step is ethylene oxide gas, which penetrates through the typical paper packaging without physically damaging anything like heat might. I did some of the research and visited a plastic molding company and found a company that provided sterilization through gamma irradiation. And this wasn't that easy back in the early 90s when you couldn't just find these sources on the internet. But gamma irradiation might do the trick. It doesn't damage plastics, metals, or cellulose. And counter to common perceptions, it's not particle radiation that leaves any residual radiation.

It grosses me out to watch folks (in public) reach under their masks and wipe/touch their face then proceed to touch everything in site. Yuck!
I'll occasionally scratch my nose, but I've found a small bottle of hand sanitizer and I'll use that after touching any part of my mask.

I'm refilling it with a different brand, but I figure it doesn't really matter as long as the alcohol content is high enough. And the weirdest thing is that my mom found a small bottle of Germ-X that I left at my parents' home over a decade ago. She asked if it was still good. I figure the alcohol doesn't degrade, but it was shaking like a thin liquid rather than a gel. I told her not to use it.

Yes, I'd read all that. I was just wondering about the statement that it provided almost no benefit and that a surgical mask provides a small percentage. When I asked about it, I didn't really feel like I got a very nice or helpful answer.

On another thread, I'd posted this chart that someone sent me and what I'd read was saying it will at least help, if you practice social distancing also. Therefore, I was interested in what that poster stated and where I could find the information to pass onto my friends.
There have been some ad hoc estimates about what non-respirator face coverings might do to protect the wearer. The main issue is that if they trap anything, it might still get through unlike a respirator designed specifically to keep things from reaching the wearer.

There have been some ad hoc estimates about what non-respirator face coverings might do to protect the wearer. The main issue is that if they trap anything, it might still get through unlike a respirator designed specifically to keep things from reaching the wearer.

Right, but don't the non-respirator face coverings have the ability to lesson some of the asymptomatic people from spewing their infection into the air?

Right, but don't the non-respirator face coverings have the ability to lesson some of the asymptomatic people from spewing their infection into the air?
That's the rationale for the public wearing masks. Also - I'm not the only one who notes that N95 respirators with exhale valves specifically defeat the purpose of protecting the public. They specifically allow gasses to be expelled unfiltered. They're not specifically designed for medical use where patients have a risk of infection (like surgery).

Respirators with exhalation valves can be used in a healthcare setting when it is not important to maintain a sterile field (an example of an acceptable practice would be when taking the temperature or blood pressure of a patient). Respirators with exhalation valves should not be used in situations where a sterile field is required (e.g., during an invasive procedure in an operating or procedure room) because the exhalation valve allows unfiltered exhaled air to escape into the sterile field.​

It's kind of complicated, but I remember a college class project (it was make your own startup company) where our proposed product was a medical device that needed to be in sterile packaging. The project leader had family experience in medical instruments, and we found from him that the typical sterilization step is ethylene oxide gas, which penetrates through the typical paper packaging without physically damaging anything like heat might. I did some of the research and visited a plastic molding company and found a company that provided sterilization through gamma irradiation. And this wasn't that easy back in the early 90s when you couldn't just find these sources on the internet. But gamma irradiation might do the trick. It doesn't damage plastics, metals, or cellulose. And counter to common perceptions, it's not particle radiation that leaves any residual radiation.

As I said, the article specifically mentioned the process developed at MSU, specifically as a response to this crisis and the PPE shortage, involved heat. It also showed rows of masks lined up on what appeared to be either a very large, enclosed shelving unit, or some type of a specialized room with integrated shelves. The masks were not in packages, merely loose.

For all I know there could be other people working on methods involving masks in packages at MSU as well. They do have a very well respected packaging program at the university also, so anything is possible. I cannot say if they would or would not have anyone there working on gamma irradiation. I do think their team at the cyclotron does have enough sense to know how to stay in their lane however.

Folks this is the first step in the new normal. Now that they are on Shop Disney, they will be sold in the parks and on the cruises and Disney could make them mandatory in public areas of cruises and in the parks.

All those people who say oh I'm not wearing a mask in Disney parks or on a Disney cruise, it will ruin the magic and the experience, will have to make a choice, either wear the mask or don't experience Disney!
Yep. It's an easy choice to make for both sides. I won't be wearing a mask. Many will.

It may turn us all into the Hulk, though. 😜

As I said, the article specifically mentioned the process developed at MSU, specifically as a response to this crisis and the PPE shortage, involved heat. It also showed rows of masks lined up on what appeared to be either a very large, enclosed shelving unit, or some type of a specialized room with integrated shelves. The masks were not in packages, merely loose.

For all I know there could be other people working on methods involving masks in packages at MSU as well. They do have a very well respected packaging program at the university also, so anything is possible. I cannot say if they would or would not have anyone there working on gamma irradiation. I do think their team at the cyclotron does have enough sense to know how to stay in their lane however.

Gamma irradiation isn't necessarily anything that's easy to do in a hospital setting. But it's pretty commonly used these days in industrial medical equipment production and even for food. But it requires a good deal of space.

It may turn us all into the Hulk, though. 😜

As someone with a basic understanding of science, that always bothered me that the Hulk was supposedly charged with gamma rays. I mean - really? Alpha rays? Maybe. Neutrons? Sure. But ionizing radiation? No.

I guess it could be like the episode of Gilligan's Island where everyone gets special powers after eating vegetables grown using radioactive seeds that washed ashore.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

I'm just wondering where I can verify your statement. The info I read said it might not be the most effective, but it's better than nothing.
Exactly. Wearing a mask may not protect you, but not wearing a mask will not protect you.
I'd rather people were just taught to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.
We (mostly) were. As toddlers.

Ah, let’s say I have some direct experience with the NSCL (the coupled cyclotron facility at MSU). They are not set up to do mass gamma irradiation sterilization (or really any gamma irradiation sterilization), and it’s quite a bit outside their scope. The medical cyclotron is highly likely not going to be involved with it either as they make imagining agents, but I’ll admit I have less direct experience with them.

As someone with a basic understanding of science, that always bothered me that the Hulk was supposedly charged with gamma rays. I mean - really? Alpha rays? Maybe. Neutrons? Sure. But ionizing radiation? No.
Not that it really matters, but alpha and neutron radiation are ionizing as well. It’s just that alphas and neutrons are particles, and gammas are photons.

But yeah, none of them are gonna make you the Hulk. Ha.

I guess it could be like the episode of Gilligan's Island where everyone gets special powers after eating vegetables grown using radioactive seeds that washed ashore.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Well, in comics, what it usually is is that a person has a predisposition to gaining the super powers, then a traumatic event unleashes it. The Gamma Rays would likely not have given anyone except Bruce Banner the Hulk powers, though they could give a different person some different powers depending - or maybe just kill them. It wasn't just the Gamma Rays that did it and it's basically not an event that can be recreated. That's just how comics physics works.

If disney could go 100% back to normal only difference would be everyone wear a mask would you be for it? Other option is now no shows no fireowrks no nothing due to 6 foot rule. If I had to choose I would wear a mask and be able to experiance disney as it was.

Folks this is the first step in the new normal. Now that they are on Shop Disney, they will be sold in the parks and on the cruises and Disney could make them mandatory in public areas of cruises and in the parks.

All those people who say oh I'm not wearing a mask in Disney parks or on a Disney cruise, it will ruin the magic and the experience, will have to make a choice, either wear the mask or don't experience Disney!
This won't be permanent. Well, at least once we get an effective vaccine and/or drug, lest there be a cure. However, they'd be great if you're in Asia and have the lergy, since it's always been that way that people wear masks to protect themselves from others, yet it's pretty alien in the West.

Last edited:
If disney could go 100% back to normal only difference would be everyone wear a mask would you be for it? Other option is now no shows no fireowrks no nothing due to 6 foot rule. If I had to choose I would wear a mask and be able to experiance disney as it was.

I would not/will not go, and I am a local. It would make it easier for us to move, actually.....because we really only moved here for Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter