Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have speculated about the reasons for why crowds are so low & ppl have mentioned kids going back to school. Usually that doesn’t seem to matter as much as this year. I wonder if it’s b/c ppl aren’t willing to let their kids miss school since so many places didn’t have in-person school last year.

I know we have speculated about the reasons for why crowds are so low & ppl have mentioned kids going back to school. Usually that doesn’t seem to matter as much as this year. I wonder if it’s b/c ppl aren’t willing to let their kids miss school since so many places didn’t have in-person school last year.
I think it's more all the talk about Covid in Florida on the news sites. People not living in Florida (and maybe some of them too) can only go by what they hear and read, so maybe many are canceling their plans.

I know a ton of ppl (that dont frequent the boards) that cancelled (including myself) --- we went 7/14-7/28 , and decided when we got back to book another trip with friends, before our kids (NYC) went back to school-

We supposed to go 8/26-- the first thing I noticed is that I was able to get ADRS for almost everything we wanted !! It was harder getting them in July, 60 days out--- !!

Thats when I realized something was up, and that was PRIOR to Delta really spiking.

When I rescheduled for Christmas, CM told me that so many people were doing the same.

We considered going at the end of August when COVID-19 cases were in a downward trend but then, the US border didn't re-opened as hoped (we always drive to FL from Montreal) and our government made it clear that while vaccinated adults and teens no longer have to quarantine 14 days upon return, non-vaccinated kids will not be allowed to go back to camp or school until 14 days has passed. Those two conditions plus the emergence of Delta and increase in cases in FL made us changed our plans. For now, we are planned for Spring break (first week of March) but if the 14 days isolation period is still present for our youngest, we will re-schedule again for July and hope we can go then because we have a Canadian child ticket from 2018 that has to be used before my youngest turns 10 years old in July. If it wasn't of that soon-expiring ticket, we would vacation elsewhere.

Hopefully they are fixing it. We were on it earlier in the week and got stuck in the greenhouse for 20+ minutes. Just me and my 2 year old while everyone went on Soarin’, and he was yelling the entire time “I have to poop!”

On one of the announcements they said “we’re going to try a full power down and restart” but they didn’t seem confident 😂
I’m laughing, but I’m sure it wasn’t that funny for you at the time. No doubt it’ll be a funny story to retell when he’s older!

I think missing school is a big key. Sick days/days missed need to be preserved since people can’t fall back on as easy as sending kids sick, whether we like it or not many did. Going on vacation precovid even ran a high risk of kids ending up with tummy bugs and colds so now they are out up to two weeks or more from a vacation. Many kids are also behind and test results fell across the country so there will be an increased pressure from schools to get them up and that will trickle to not wanting kids out more than need be. It’s just not the same.

I think missing school is a big key. Sick days/days missed need to be preserved since people can’t fall back on as easy as sending kids sick, whether we like it or not many did. Going on vacation precovid even ran a high risk of kids ending up with tummy bugs and colds so now they are out up to two weeks or more from a vacation. Many kids are also behind and test results fell across the country so there will be an increased pressure from schools to get them up and that will trickle to not wanting kids out more than need be. It’s just not the same.
That’s what I was thinking. I know is a combination of things, but I think missing school feels like a bigger deal right now.

My sister and I were going to come down in October, but now we've pushed that back to next May. There were a lot of factors, mostly the current COVID rates, hurricane season, and the heavy crowds that are predicted for October. When we booked the trip they hadn't announced the dates for the 50th anniversary celebrations and it turned out our dates were right after it started!

That’s what I was thinking. I know is a combination of things, but I think missing school feels like a bigger deal right now.
[/QUOTE]
As always though i think it depends on age and how they stand in school. Our school board and principle actually accepted and encouraged family vacations in the past, but I am sure now they think a little differently with Covid and coming back from other states, etc.

As always though i think it depends on age and how they stand in school. Our school board and principle actually accepted and encouraged family vacations in the past, but I am sure now they think a little differently with Covid and coming back from other states, etc.
[/QUOTE]

It’s more than just that, it’s little things as come back sick and could miss up to two weeks of pratices, games, school and more. That was never a worry before since most illnesses kids missed maybe 1-2 days at most first , it’s not the same playing field now. Lots of factors.

It’s more than just that, it’s little things as come back sick and could miss up to two weeks of pratices, games, school and more. That was never a worry before since most illnesses kids missed maybe 1-2 days at most first , it’s not the same playing field now. Lots of factors.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. You’re not just missing one week of school anymore. Now, you’re potentially missing 3 weeks.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. You’re not just missing one week of school anymore. Now, you’re potentially missing 3 weeks.
[/QUOTE]
And those that would just pull 1-2 days for long weekends , that is a big risk now.

I think it's more all the talk about Covid in Florida on the news sites. People not living in Florida (and maybe some of them too) can only go by what they hear and read, so maybe many are canceling their plans.

I personally know two people who cancelled due to current conditions, we're in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter