Disney Not Social Distancing Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Endless debate
I think Disney's reasoning is the following, and of course I could be completely wrong.
Guests coming to the parks now have accepted a level of covid risk. Plain and simple, you decide to come, you know you'll be exposed one way or another
Disney has put forth measures of social distancing and cleaning and continue to be in contact and have their own team of medical professionals
People coming are getting annoyed by attraction lines, rides like mfsr that used to be so efficient isn't more, they're installing plexiglass where they can
Attraction queues are hard to monitor, people over and over again take their masks down, drink, eat, don't follow the markers. On an attraction its easier to remind people to leave them on and then the attraction is over in less than 3 minutes, better than being in an indoor queue with people that don't abide by the rules
So they have decided that for some attractions it might be best to fill them up for less time spent in a queue

Again just my opinion

I do wish Disney would enforce it everywhere overall, but you are right.

You can also skip the attraction or ask a guest member your preference to wait a little extra longer for spacing considerations.

And just to add Disney has posted gotte IRA employees the percentages of chances to get covid
At the bottom, being outside in close proximity and walking (while masked)
In the middle, dining indoors in close proximity
At the top, indoor family gatherings for multiple hours

I absolutely feel that WDW is safer than attending a wedding, baby shower, Christmas party. I just wish people would stop saying it’s safer than the grocery store.

Early on (back in July) I was thinking not opening DL was a good idea at the time, but never expected it not to reopen by sometime in August or September. My personal opinion now is that the California situation will become a case study in the harmful effects of a long-term shutdown. It's ground-zero for COVID-fatigue.

On safari ride with plexi-glass, you aren't sitting rows apart, you are on directly behind party in front of you - at least they had been doing that on safari for quite some time. That ride is what, 15 minutes or longer? And there is space on top of the dividers where air flows through.

On slinky dog, you are sitting behind someone, for 90 seconds possibly?

Both rides you are masked.

Why do people feel so much safer on the safari ride than they would on the coaster?

To me the risk is exactly the same.

On safari ride with plexi-glass, you aren't sitting rows apart, you are on directly behind party in front of you - at least they had been doing that on safari for quite some time. That ride is what, 15 minutes or longer? And there is space on top of the dividers where air flows through.

On slinky dog, you are sitting behind someone, for 90 seconds possibly?

Both rides you are masked.

Why do people feel so much safer on the safari ride than they would on the coaster?

To me the risk is exactly the same.

Because science would tell you otherwise.

Because science would tell you otherwise.

Why would you feel safer?

Why is this safer? You are sitting every row and ride is longer than 15 minutes. Airflow right above you.

All protection is good, I just truly don't understand why sitting each row, masked, on a 90 second ride is a tipping point. Its interesting to me, what lines people won't cross.

safari-ride-vehicle-2.jpgsafari-ride-vehicle.jpg

Last edited:
Please do not take this the wrong way.
For a part of the population who have a concern, they should please stay home and stay safe, it's a choice they have.
For the rest of the population who are willing to go to the parks or any tourist destination and are comfortable, have fun.

This of course is as long as the destinations are letting people know ahead of time exactly what their safety and sanitary protocols are so people can make a choice.

There are hundreds of thousands of people out of work who need to get back to work. If there are people willing to go to any tourist destination based on the safety and sanitary protocols they have in place they should be aloud to.

That is fine if your vacation doesn’t have a negative consequence on anybody else but if you get sick you can spread it to someone else or you will be another patient for an already exhausted healthcare worker.

And of course, you can come back and say that you can catch the virus at Walmart. I would respond by saying if we all just stuck to the essential things then we probably wouldn’t be such a mess

I think that’s nonsense. You can mostly stay home if you feel you need to. As far as coming in contact with ppl who went to wdw or whatever, we are all supposed to assume that everyone we come in contact with might have it regardless of where they have been. So we should be staying away from ppl even when we do go out. What’s driving the rates up is ppl are not under stay at home orders in most places so they’re not staying home. Many ppl have Covid fatigue & are more willing to go out & take their chances more than they were in the beginning. I think ppl who complain about ppl vacationing have fomo. They want to go on vacation too but don’t feel they can or should so then they try to make others feel guilty about it.
You should feel guilty about going against science and CDC guidelines. Unfortunately your actions can have a negative impact on people outside your immediate family. If you are ok with that then I am sure you won’t change your mind anyway.

There is no FOMO when people are trying to pretend that everything is ok when 300,000 people won’t be with loved ones at Christmas this year. I would have more FOMO if I had long term symptoms of Covid and had to spend months or maybe years without returning to my old life even when things are better because of the vaccine. So yeah maybe I would have FOMO in 2022 if I got Covid and it damaged my lungs so much that I couldn’t walk around the parks

You should feel guilty about going against science and CDC guidelines. Unfortunately your actions can have a negative impact on people outside your immediate family. If you are ok with that then I am sure you won’t change your mind anyway.

There is no FOMO when people are trying to pretend that everything is ok when 300,000 people won’t be with loved ones at Christmas this year. I would have more FOMO if I had long term symptoms of Covid and had to spend months or maybe years without returning to my old life even when things are better because of the vaccine. So yeah maybe I would have FOMO in 2022 if I got Covid and it damaged my lungs so much that I couldn’t walk around the parks
Nonsense. If places are open & it’s legal, then there is no reason to feel guilty. You have no idea if we quarantine when we get back so there is very little exposure to other ppl.

Nonsense. If places are open & it’s legal, then there is no reason to feel guilty. You have no idea if we quarantine when we get back so there is very little exposure to other ppl.

Obviously, it would be great if everyone that went to WDW would quarantine for at least one full week and to test before going back to work or school but I imagine the % of people that actually do that isn’t that much.

And I feel bad for the physically and mentally exhausted healthcare worker. They have so many patients to treat because people are engaging in risky behavior and going to an amusement park is considered risky.
Even if you quarantine and you don’t come in contact with anyone, you might end up in the hospital and that would be another person for them to take care of.

That is fine if your vacation doesn’t have a negative consequence on anybody else but if you get sick you can spread it to someone else or you will be another patient for an already exhausted healthcare worker.

And of course, you can come back and say that you can catch the virus at Walmart. I would respond by saying if we all just stuck to the essential things then we probably wouldn’t be such a mess

That would of course depend on your definition of “essential” things, because I’ve seen quite a lot of, what I’d consider, non essential shopping at Target, Walmart, the grocery stores etc, and I’d be lying if I weren’t guilty of it from time to time. Is Christmas, at least the gift giving portion really “essential” this year if you’re doing any bit shopping in public spaces. At the end of the day, you can’t have it both ways.

Yes. If things are open and people are allowed to go, then that's that.

Of course we hope people properly quarantine after.

Discussion otherwise is really just waxing poetic because its pointless.

Obviously, it would be great if everyone that went to WDW would quarantine for at least one full week and to test before going back to work or school but I imagine the % of people that actually do that isn’t that much.

And I feel bad for the physically and mentally exhausted healthcare worker. They have so many patients to treat because people are engaging in risky behavior and going to an amusement park is considered risky.
Even if you quarantine and you don’t come in contact with anyone, you might end up in the hospital and that would be another person for them to take care of.
My sister & most of my friends are drs or nurses, they also vacation. As an er/trauma nurse/dr, my sister & one of my best friends are used to treating patients who need treatment b/c the engage in risky behavior.

Having to use the CTA here, I think I'm desensitized to every row being filled on rides.

They say they have capacity limits on the bus, but it doesn't stop people sitting directly in front or behind me. At least everyone is masked.

So for me, this new process at Disney wouldn't play a part in any decision to go or not go.

We are going end of April/early May and I expect the cases levels, hospitalizations and deaths to be VASTLY different by the time we go, in a good way.

And I work at a hospital and I expect I'll be vaccinated before then and Micky will be through VA.
I wouldn’t bet on cases being different in a good way. The new uk strain has already spread to several other countries and so far seems to be an absolute game changer in a bad way.

Oh, please. Enough with the vacation shaming. On a vacation forum, no less.

I wouldn’t bet on cases being different in a good way. The new uk strain has already spread to several other countries and so far seems to be an absolute game changer in a bad way.

Soooo not interested in your predictions, but thanks.

End of April will be so different than today.

People like you can't allow anyone to have any optimism. I'm sick of it. People move forward with hope, not fear.

I'm done with it. Laugh at my post. I genuinely feel some part of you doesn't want this to end.

Last edited:
Oh, please. Enough with the vacation shaming. On a vacation forum, no less.
You won’t feel guilty if you are ok with your choices.
I just hope that if any theme parks make additional changes then they will notify guests ahead of time so people can decide what they feel comfortable with.

I wish people would stop generally saying Disney is safe. It isn’t.

If it was, they would have 3 separate locations around the world closed right now.

By this logic there should be thousands of CMs out with COVID. This would be front page news and the unions would be telling TWDC to shut down. None of which are happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter