Disney paying a “living wage”. Sigh…

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has been following this for years it was shocking when the Living Wage jumped $3 an hour (we are in the Seattle area) in 8 months. it was $17.05 last October jumped to $20.05 in June and when I looked in October it lowered to $19.97. I assume that a similar jump happened in Florida this summer. It's hard to keep up and shocking at how volatile it is right now. It usually only goes up by around CPI. However that is what the employees are feeling on the ground and you can't argue with them that it's hard to buy food when the cost are raising so much.
In the past when I worked for Disney (it's been a few years) I would hear cast members who complained about not making enough money.
When I asked how much over time do you work in a week they have told me none. When I asked what do you do for a part time job they say they do not have one. They have told me they do not want it to cut into their personal time. I understand there has to be a balance between work and home/free time however you have to have the money to be able to afford that free time.
I am not sure if this has changed.

A lot of people not just Disney cast members are felling the pain of inflation. I remember not that long ago like others I could fill a shopping cat 2/3 full with food for the week for about $60.00 to $75.00 for two people, not even close anymore.

When I asked how much over time do you work in a week they have told me none. When I asked what do you do for a part time job they say they do not have one. They have told me they do not want it to cut into their personal time. I understand there has to be a balance between work and home/free time however you have to have the money to be able to afford that free time.

I get that this is just a philosophical difference, but I find it obscene to suggest people just need to work more than a full time job if they want to barely get by!

Why gripe about people advocating for a change that is obviously needed and benefits society as a whole? (Not you, specifically, but just in general, I wish there were more worker solidarity. The wealthy are just sucking us dry.)

I get that this is just a philosophical difference, but I find it obscene to suggest people just need to work more than a full time job if they want to barely get by!
Of course, lots of cast members choose not to work full time. If they are scheduled to work eight hours, they’ll request to leave early. Yes, sometimes areas are short staffed and CM’s are required to work long hours. But often they aren’t, and many cast members appreciate not having to work full shifts.

Why gripe about people advocating for a change that is obviously needed and benefits society as a whole? (Not you, specifically, but just in general, I wish there were more worker solidarity. The wealthy are just sucking us dry.)
I was raised in the north east (New Jersey). For us growing up it was not uncommon for everyone I knew, depending on what they did for a living to work at least 5 1/2 days a week most of they year or more.
If you worked in the city it was not uncommon for people who commute to leave home at 5:00 to 6am an not get home till 6 or 7 pm five days a week. These were people making a good living and traded the home time with the commute time.

I worked my regular job 40 to 50 hours a week Monday through Friday and part time depending on the time of year, nights and weekends 20 to 30 hours a week.

It was just a way of life for us, maybe it is different in other pars of the country.

This is what you had to do if you wanted to live a comfortable life style where I come from. I have not lived in New Jersey for over twenty years and things may have changed.

As I have said in the past, the pay rate are negotiated by Disney and the unions. Once there is an agreement between the two it goes to the union membership for a vote to approve the contract or not approve the contract. It is up to the membership to decide if they think they are being treated fairly by the company. If they cant get what they think is fair they can collectively go on strike. By the way I have read most of the contract.

My father was a utility worker. Back in the 90s I think it was ,they did not think the company was treating them fairly. They as a group decided to go on strike and after a few weeks they won most of the things they were striking over. That was solidarity.

I know Florida is a right to work state however if every union Disney cast member walked off the job and went on strike I think the company would take notice and maybe do something for the cast members.

And by the way I still think Disney pays good money for the jobs listed. Not ever job is going to start out at a high pay rate but if you stay long enough and are willing to take advantage of whet the company offers you can do well for your self there over time.
I have known people who started out as basic front line cast who have risen to jobs paying high five to low six figure incomes.
You may have to work long hours when you first start but over time you will make more money and maybe have to work less hours at some point.

Disney STILL.has not found enough people to fill all the open positions. So, no, not enough people are willing to do the job for that pay. THAT is the problem. Companies paying well are not dealing with "staffing issues." If you pay well, you get people to fill the jobs.
Obviously they are, but my point is that if you are having trouble attracting workers, and you look around and see that other employers in the same industry are paying more, guess where the workers will go?
You are directly contradicting what you said previously.

This subject is fraught with controversy. I suspect nobody would object to the front line CM's making more money. I also suspect nobody would object to the big bosses making less. But we are not in their shoes.

The union at WDW, together with management sets the wage scale for front line CM's. If they jointly agree that the negotiated wages are fair, who am I to disagree?

Last edited:
How much are they paying the ride maintenance workers? Whatever it is it's not enough.
Or they need to hire more. I give them some leeway because of Covid and their normal
staff may not be around anymore. However last 3 times we were at the parks never have I seen
so many rides down. What is weird is that it doesn't seem to be getting better.

We didn't see the frequency of breakdowns nearly as often at Universal. Are the rides just
getting old?

Last edited:
It’s important to remember there’s approximately 70,000 cast members at WDW. If they are working an average of 1500 hours a year, then a $1 per hour pay raise would cost the company over $100 million.

It’s important to remember there’s approximately 70,000 cast members at WDW. If they are working an average of 1500 hours a year, then a $1 per hour pay raise would cost the company over $100 million.

"For the fiscal year 2022, The Walt Disney Company reports revenue of $7.4 billion in its Parks division alone for the fourth quarter. For the full fiscal year, Disney reported a staggering $28.7 billion in revenue, representative of a 73% increase over the 2021 fiscal year.-Nov 8, 2022"

I think they can afford it.

"For the fiscal year 2022, The Walt Disney Company reports revenue of $7.4 billion in its Parks division alone for the fourth quarter. For the full fiscal year, Disney reported a staggering $28.7 billion in revenue, representative of a 73% increase over the 2021 fiscal year.-Nov 8, 2022"

But that is revenue, not profit.

In the past when I worked for Disney (it's been a few years) I would hear cast members who complained about not making enough money.

A lot of people not just Disney cast members are felling the pain of inflation. I remember not that long ago like others I could fill a shopping cat 2/3 full with food for the week for about $60.00 to $75.00 for two people, not even close anymore.
If Disney doesn't pay enough, employees will either organize and collectively bargain for more or go somewhere else. Working two jobs shouldn't be the norm.

They can. But they don't want to. And they're too cheap to pay their equity investors a dividend.

Thank you this is some very good information and answers the question I have been asking. It give hard date with out personal emotion involved.

So taking into account the following county's that as far as I understand where most cast members live.
This would be the information as to what a minimum living wage would be for a single person with no children.
Orange $18.19 an hour
Lake $18.19 an hour
Polk $16.30 an hour
Osceola $18.19 an hour

With that information, a single person with no kids making what Disney starts new cast members at,($15.00 Dollars an hour is the lowest starting pay, there are jobs that start higher) to come close to that they would have to live in Polk County.
For that cast member living in Polk county, to surpass that number they would have to have at least three years or more with the company or have moved to a better paying job.
For cast members living in the other three county's they would have to be close to the top pay for that job I used as an example. As of this contract that would be $19.37 an hour.
The job I am using as an example would be for an Attractions host. Pay scale would be $15.00 minimum to $19.37 maximum.

I have heard the union covering most cast members is looking to up the starting wage to I think around $18.00 an hour.

By the way anyone looking at what the cast pay contract says for the many jobs this one union covers, search for the following,
This would be local 362, then under the Walt Disney World Bar, click WDW Full Time then scroll down and look for the 2017 Walt Disney Worlds Full Time Contract.
I would post a link but I am not sure if I an aloud to.
What surprises me is that I’m in the Northeast and it’s relatively expensive, but our livable wage is lower than a Disney employee living in those counties. 😳. That’s crazy ..primarily because we have many well-paying jobs.

https://www.investopedia.com/disney-ceo-bob-chapek-doubled-salary-5216646#:~:text=Disney CEO Bob Chapek and,Iger took home $45.9 million.
Former CEO Iger, who led the company for 15 years and retired at the end of 2021, earned $45.9 million in 2021, up from the $21 million he earned in 2020. His base salary was $3 million, and he earned a cash bonus of $22.9 million. The company gave him $18.8 million in stock options and awards as well as $1.2 million in other compensation.

Iger's successor Bob Chapek also had a financially lucrative 2021 and took home $32.5 million, up from $14.2 million in 2020. His base salary was $2.5 million. Included in Chapek's earnings was a bonus of $14.3 million and $13.9 million in stock options and awards.

I found 78.4 million. I'm sure we can fish around in the couch cushions in the C suite and find the rest.

The bolded is the whole point. NO one should have to work a second job or work overtime JUST to make ends meet. People need to be able to LIVE and life is a balance. Overwork leads to stress, poor health, and a lot of problems that cost society over the long run rather than being helpful to society.

A "living wage" for a SPECIFIC AREA (it will vary) should mean that you make enough to be able to afford housing, food, and clothing.

Let's just look at housing. Let's look at RENTAL HOUSING because that is what the federal government uses as a gauge for affordability in an area.

In Orlando, the average 1 bedroom apartment costs $1700. Landlords will require that you make 3 times the income to be approved. That is $5100 gross.

That breaks down to $29.42/hr to live alone.

What about roommates? Well, if you rent a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate, you'd each need to make around $19/hr. Is WDW paying that much? Nope. They are not.

What about Disneyland?

Average rent for a 1br apartment in all of Orange County is $2095. To live alone, a livable wage is $36.25/hr.

To share a 2 bedroom apartment ($2700 average price) would require each person to make $25.31.

Keep in mind, this is using a 40 hour (full time) work week.

Disney is not paying anywhere near these wages in CA, certainly. They are not providing a living wage.

What they are paying is not a living wage ANYWHERE in the US.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2021-08-06/report-15-hourly-wage-isnt-livable-anywhere-in-the-us#:~:text=Despite making more than double,food, rent and health care.&text=By Braeden Waddell-,Aug.,2021, at 5:02 p.m.

Keep in mind, this article was written over a year ago. Things have only gotten worse, cost wise.

"Living wage" is not some arbitrary number. It's a very real economic calculation.
Listen, as someone who has no understanding of economics, and got into a company with a high school education back when a house cost as much as a current-day economy car, let me tell you about how kids these days just need a little moxie and to be as smart as I was in order to do better financially….

It’s hard. If Disney is

If someone is being paid less then a living wage they have to work overtime in order to eat….. at $15.00/ hour employees would have to work 48.5 hours to cover basic living expenses.

When you look up and see your employer has increased revenues by 73%, it's more than fair to ask why you're not seeing an increase. Disney will raise its prices for inflation to protect that 73%, it will fight tooth and tail to not increase employee wages, also to protect that 73%.

Disney is screwing the folks, both customers and staff, who got them the 73%. How much money is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter