Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is me too. We stay deluxe and an extra $24 per day is not going to break the bank, but I've been having a difficult time justifying the cost recently. I've been telling myself part of the higher price is they don't charge for parking or resort fees. Well, no more...
I too stay mostly at deluxe resorts. But I also love to shop and get something special while I am there. I have a hard enough time convincing myself its OK to spend $260 on a handbag, or piece of jewelry, but I do it because Im on vacation, I love Disney and its something special for me, which I never ever do at home. All my "special" shopping is for my kids. I only buy myself necessities. Now knowing they are going to take $300 from me just to park when that could be my shopping money makes me sad. Knowing I have a $300 bill coming, will make me think twice about buying a $300 item at the parks, plus everything my kids want.

In between Disney trips, we usually cruise or go to an AI...we'll just do those more often.

There is no altruistic "crowd lowering" " less cars on the road" "better for environment" "lowering traffic" reasoning for this. Its just to increase revenue. Period.

And what is wrong with increase in revenue / profits for a company with stock holders that hold them accountable? It is simple economics 101. Raise the prices as much as you can until your product maximizes your profits. Maybe THIS is the final piece that finally draws the line for the average family. Only time will tell. But do not get mad at a company for charging as much as they can for a wildly popular product.

Alright............my plan has been executed:

Sent off 2 emails
Gonna let our AP lapse. No more 3 to 5 visits a year for us!
Made 2 placeholder one night reservations for future modification. Might go one time each year in 2019 and 2020. Both will get free parking
Looking at a wider variety of places to go and experience in the future.

BTW...... the Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge TN is a really cool place to visit. We have always enjoyed that area but would often go to Disney instead.

View attachment 309367 View attachment 309366 View attachment 309365

Lol I really don’t care what you believe .. but yep absolutely true , flew thomas cook airline out of Orlando to Manchester round trip for 420.00 plus got my hotels on booking.com .. mostly raddisons and a Hilton I believe .. plus arrival night and night before departure at the hotel in Manchester airport business class .. did you know there are TONS of free things to do in and around Manchester ? Including all types of museums.. trains cost about 4.00 pp to get to outside areas and then you mostly walk .. most of what I spent was shopping , food is shockingly inexpensive there ...

But yes it CAN be done .. the only price difference as you go along is mostly airfare which you can find cheap and plan early ( like I did with Disney also ) some people on here are paying 10-15,000 for one family trip to Disney when they can go overseas for half that even as a family .. your fooling yourself if you think Disney is not overpriced compared to many other vacation spots . I enjoy Disney but I’m not fooled into thinking it’s not overpriced .FYI even alone half of that cost was me shopping ( I had to buy and pay for a extra suitcase for return ) so yes more then one person could easily afford it and still come in under that many days at Disney .

I went on a week long Northern European cruise, and to London for a week with my Mom last August. Had an AMAZING time. Flew from Seattle to Heathrow for $550 on a Virgin Atlantic deal. By the time the hotels, cruise, and airfare were paid, I paid less for myself to go and do all over 2 weeks than for just my daughter and I to go and spend 5 nights at the Poly with dining and airfare.

People think Europe isn't within reach, and I think Disney would like us to think that. It isn't, not even a little bit. If you plan 12-18 months out, or take a last minute deal, it can be much cheaper than WDW.

Alright............my plan has been executed:

Sent off 2 emails
Gonna let our AP lapse. No more 3 to 5 visits a year for us!

perfect. Crowds are already starting to go down. And there are 10 people who will continue to go to Disney 3-5 times a year and will pay the parking fee. So you not going has zero effect on Disney's bottom line, but lowers the crowds that little bit. Just like voting, every little bit counts.

People keep talking about the craziness that will come when SW:GE opens, but I feel like that may very well be counting chickens before they hatch on Disney's part.
Agreed. They are setting all these increases because they are counting on opening SW in 2019. But, as it is, they are saying SW will open "late" 2019. And we know how openings can get pushed back (new Fantasyland, which was originally rumored for summer or fall 2012 didn't open until December 2012, ROL, was pushed back a year, even Toy Story, which as rumored for Memorial Day and has been pushed back slightly). So, when Disney says that SW will not open until "late" 2019, I think best case scenario is that it will open for Christmas 2019. And based on the push-backs, I would venture that many will wait until there is an official announcement of a specific date.

I also don't think Toy Story Land will bring the crowds. It's literally a toddler spinny ride, a kid coaster, and a QS restaurant.

So with that scenario, I agree they are counting their chickens before they hatch. How are they planning on filling up rooms throughout all of 2019? Seems they are counting on people coming back in 2019 to see Pandora...

perfect. Crowds are already starting to go down. And there are 10 people who will continue to go to Disney 3-5 times a year and will pay the parking fee. So you not going has zero effect on Disney's bottom line, but lowers the crowds that little bit. Just like voting, every little bit counts.
Personally, I don't see this parking fee as a deterrent to crowd levels. Locals will still go, DVC people will still go, discounts will off set the fees unless they completely stop those as well, military discounts, festivals are bringing in record crowds when they use to be lower during those times. "This too shall pass" and it will be business as usual..imo. FWIW....DCL parking was also increased by $11 a day and the parking garage was full.
For the record, stock prices went down yesterday.

By doing this as publicly as they have, Disney will make some people think about other options (offsite hotels, Uber, etc.). That will reduce the number of cars, or if nothing else, drive the more price sensitive out of the onsite hotels. During peak periods they are looking at filling their hotels with guests that they can get a higher conversion rate from. The average revenue per guest will go up. Disney would rather the sold out hotel be filled with people who are shopping and dining onsite rather than swinging over to the closest Walmart for groceries. It's hard to fault them for that.

I would expect the reaction here and on social media is exactly what Disney was expecting, and likely plays into what they would want to see. When you book, they don't know if you'll be a high revenue guest or low revenue guest. By implementing the parking fees, they get the lower revenue guests to self-identify and steer themselves towards other hotels.

This entire play is not about the revenue of the parking fees themselves. It's about filling hotels with customers that will spend more money. It's about weeding out the price sensitive. The "backlash" on social media actually helps Disney with that.

I am all for the parking fees. If it helps cut down on crowds, while keeping profits up....win win for share holders and Disney fans. Sorry....much like everyone can't afford to vacation in Europe......disney just may not be the vacation for everyone now. Either save more to pay the price, or go to Dollywood.
I certainly respect your opinion. And a WDW vacation may not be for everyone, but I believe that you are missing much of the angst the people have.

I certainly don't mind paying higher prices for staying on Disney property, and I have 15 stays on WDW property to prove it. Being in the "Disney Bubble" was part of the Magic that you got for your money. Disney set the industry standard in terms of quality and amenities. When Disney World is shown on Travel Channel or Destination America, or the vacation DVDs that they send out, they talk about how high they set the bar for their guests, and early on, they more than hit the mark. But as of recently, the declining service you get, the exorbitant resort/dining plan increases with lesser perks, and now this...WDW has actually lowered the bar but increased the cost. I feel that we are paying for a BMW and getting a Yugo.

WDW is in business to make money. I have zero problem with that. My problems lies in the fact that I can get many more perks by staying off property now than I can for staying on property. I am a member of Choice Rewards Hotels, Sheraton, and a couple of others. I earned 5 days of free hotels last year at Hyatt and Choice hotels. I earned free airfare from my SW Visa. But the more I stay at WDW, the less we get. I certainly do not expect WDW to give out free rooms willy-nilly, but when I go to Las Vegas, I have had comped rooms for being a frequent visitor there. There are hotels off-site that I can get for 1/3 of the cost of staying at a moderate, but in turn get a kitchenette, shuttle service to WDW, a very nice pool area, and restaurants of higher quality in walking distance than at WDW. In addition most offer a free complimentary breakfast that comes with bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, fruit, coffee, tea, juice...the same things that I can get at a WDW food court for $12-$18 a person. Many off-site hotels also get FP perks now.

I am lucky to have a job that allows me to make as much or as little money that I want. I can work 5 days OT and pay completely for a moderate resort. I can work 8-10 days and pay for a deluxe resort. Or I can work 2 days and get an off-site property, something that I vowed that I would never do again, and get better perks than I now can get at WDW.

I appreciate you giving your view, and while I do not agree with it, I understand what you are saying.

Last edited:
I went on a week long Northern European cruise, and to London for a week with my Mom last August. Had an AMAZING time. Flew from Seattle to Heathrow for $550 on a Virgin Atlantic deal. By the time the hotels, cruise, and airfare were paid, I paid less for myself to go and do all over 2 weeks than for just my daughter and I to go and spend 5 nights at the Poly with dining and airfare.

People think Europe isn't within reach, and I think Disney would like us to think that. It isn't, not even a little bit. If you plan 12-18 months out, or take a last minute deal, it can be much cheaper than WDW.

Exactly! I was in that camp for years until I finally decided to go for it .. glad I did because it opened up a whole new world of travel for us ! I was shocked at the lower cost and even with the currency exchange food and travel was much cheaper ( and better ) then it is here ... I fell in love with the UK !

By doing this as publicly as they have, Disney will make some people think about other options (offsite hotels, Uber, etc.). That will reduce the number of cars, or if nothing else, drive the more price sensitive out of the onsite hotels. During peak periods they are looking at filling their hotels with guests that they can get a higher conversion rate from. The average revenue per guest will go up. Disney would rather the sold out hotel be filled with people who are shopping and dining onsite rather than swinging over to the closest Walmart for groceries. It's hard to fault them for that.

I would expect the reaction here and on social media is exactly what Disney was expecting, and likely plays into what they would want to see. When you book, they don't know if you'll be a high revenue guest or low revenue guest. By implementing the parking fees, they get the lower revenue guests to self-identify and steer themselves towards other hotels.

This entire play is not about the revenue of the parking fees themselves. It's about filling hotels with customers that will spend more money. It's about weeding out the price sensitive. The "backlash" on social media actually helps Disney with that.

I see what you're saying - it's very articulate, too :thumbsup2 - but many of the responses on here don't fit with it.

I've written it a few times already, so I won't repeat myself again, except to say this is a much bigger issue than a parking charge. It's been snowballing for a few years, now, and if Disney ignore the backlash as if it is as simple as you suggest, then they'd be misleading themselves, I think. Of course, they might not mind that at this point! ;)

Hmmmm .... okay. Afford doesn't come into the picture for us. I think many of us are used to paying 3000 - 5000$ per trip all total so the extra 24$ x # of days is not a deal breaker. However those of us who do the planning(yes I do the planning for our house and love doing it) for the trip have seen a sharp incline in prices over the last 5 - 10 years(mainly the last 5 or so). That would be great if there where added value but overall there is not, in fact I would say there has been a bit of a decline. As I have been planning the last 10 years I have seen increases in the prices to stay at resorts of all level, the price increase of park admission, the price increase of APs, the price increase of TIW membership. Don't even get me started on the preferred parking garbage that sprung up the last few year. Nothing like showing up at AK super early and parking at one of the farthest spots from the entrance(honestly I think there are some parking spots at AKL that were closer then we got to park last time.

So yes we can afford it but as we plan and we see our dollars getting less and less return, we start to think about alternatives. For some that is trying Swan and Dolphins, for others that might be staying offsite completely(maybe even giving Universal a try), and for others that might mean going to a completely different destination. I guarantee there are some who will choose the later 2 choices and that will achieve the opposite of what Disney intended.

In the end(and I am just speaking for our family), we go to Disney because on our vacations to the World we seemed to come closer together. We all treat each other better and we are willing to go on rides and attractions that we might not normally go on by ourselves but since our Wife or Son want to go on it we are game(does this make sense?). We also go for the Nostalgia, I can remember our first time staying onsite we were on the Nemo ride 7 year old son next to me, 4 year old in my lap listening to the characters sing "its a big blue world". Every trip since then that part of the ride takes me back and for a brief moment my sons are 4 and 7 again(I also like to pretend I am not 42).

With every one of these little cash grabs Disney is losing a little peice of that. Who is to say that if we try Universal, or take that trip to the beach that we might not find the same happiness and Nostalgia? Would we then feel the need to come back and pay 24$ a night for the privilege of parking at a Disney Resort?

You said it better than I ever could. AMEN!!!!!

Just like most of you, I am loyal to Disney. I have vacations planned in April at Pop Century and another in August at the Polynesian. I do not plan on cancelling those vacations. I plan on spending what my budget allows...or my credit card...Lol.

The parking fee irritates me. It irritates me because it seems like a "Gateway Fee". I don't think this will be the last added fee for Disney and that is what worries me. I want to continue to take my kids and then their kids.

And yes companies have the right to make as much profit as they can, but what goes up, eventually goes down...

Last edited:

I think this will simply send the people that stayed at Disney instead of universals much nicer hotels off to universal since they will be paying to park at both places .. I have stayed on Disney property and went to universal but now they have made themselves “ industry standards” which most people liked that they were not that way so stayed with Disney ... if they want to keep up standards they should put that money into making their resorts nicer and worth the money .

Because we are allowed our opinion just like you. sorry but, just because people disagree, does not mean the are belittling you.

Sorry...but maybe it is time for you to change to a cheaper option like Dollywood. Not everyone can afford a BMW.....it now seems that not everyone can afford Disney. Not belittling you...it is just economics

For every one person who stops going, there are 10 who will gladly pay the fees. Crowd sizes go down...profits for stock holders stay up. Seems like a win win to me.
Like I said before, I can afford it. I won't pay it.

FWIW a lot of people complain about parking fees. however, the majority of people will still go. Just like people complained about the increase in ticket prices. Disney is a business and businesses do and will increase prices as they see fit.Do I like it? No. Will I complain about it? Yeah. Will it stop me from going? Maybe or maybe not. I don't expect everyone or anyone to agree with me.

All I know is that when we go to places like Gatlinburg, most of them charge for parking. They also charge resort fees. Do I like it? No, but I pay it because ultimately going on a weekend getaway is what it's all about for me....

After reading almost all of the pages here are my thoughts FWIW...

1. For the “I am done with Disney” crowd - I get it! DH and I didn’t renew our season tickets with the spurs due to one change after another we didn’t agree with so no in person games this year. Do they miss us? Probably not but I know many people didn’t renew either and games are not sold out as in previous years. Soooo.... maybe Disney will reverse the parking charge and maybe not...time will tell with lower hotel occupancy, people at parks etc. it might be awhile before the numbers tell us anything since many people plan months ahead and are grandfathered into no parking fees if a reservation was made before March 21st.

2. Resort Shoppers, dinner reservations, etc.- would like to see them give out tickets as they do in some parking garages and give free parking for say dinner reservations for two or three hours, shopping or spa visit 3hours etc. and if someone stays longer than that they pay the full rate. Maybe also reserve parking spots closer to the hotel for registered guests by installing a gate that allows only those with magic bands staying at that particular hotel to park closer to the hotel. (Yes I know you swipe the magic band to get into the hotel property initially and this would be a second swipe but this would give hotel guests the benefit of better parking).

3. Emails, phone calls to Disney execs - all good to let them know where you stand on this topic. When disney announced the dog trial policy we wrote and called that we were in support of the policy and did get phone calls and emails back that they appreciated our feedback. For the dog policy there was a tremendous uproar and guessing how it would all play out . Short term it doesn’t seem to be too many big issues (yes there have been some abusers of the policy which is sure to happen with any policy) and long term we will see how it plays out as to whether disney will keep the dog policy past what they say is an initial trial period. I see the same happening with the parking charge

Just returned from a stay at Disneyland Paradise Pier hotel and they do charge for parking.

Most of our future WDW stays will be at our DVC BLT so parking fees will not be a player and for those trips where we pay for a hotel stay, I doubt that the parking fee will sway us to stay off site as IMO that Disney transportation is just an added frustration we don’t want(long waits, super packed buses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter