Disney restaurants that are popular that are not very good anymore.

Monorail_Man_NJ

DIS Veteran
Not sure if anyone has a restaurant at Disney that they used to think was great but now will avoid.

For me its OHANA. First time I went I really enjoyed it. Although I did get some undercooked poultry it was still very good.

Last time I went in November I couldnt figure out what all the hype was about. The food I though was pretty mediocre and some of it downright AWFUL. The only good part of the meal was the skewered meats although the steak was VERY TOUGH. Chicken and Shrimp were still good.

The noodles that they brought out reminded me of Ramen Noodles. Qas very disappointed and think it will be my last visit to OHANA.

Dinner @ Be Our Guest. The new menu was horrible. They put some kind of sunflower seed concoction on top of the salad and it was just terrible. And the grey stuff was so flavorless. Unless we get a lunch reservation there, we wont be back.

Personally, as an aside, I think people get way to excited about WDW restaurants vs. the quality of the food. I guess it depends on what one is used to at home.
I don't know if it can be ascribed to what type of restaurants are in their hometowns per se. Just the Disney factor filled with princesses, pixie dust, and dreams.

A popular family restaurant that I accept for what it is? 'OHana. Nicely grilled meats and blase noodles and veggies that at best remind me of college cooking on a hot plate, LOL. The kids like it, they don't drag me to character dining experiences, so I'm fine.

Last edited:
I don't know if it can be ascribed to what type of restaurants are in their hometowns per se. Just the Disney factor filled with princesses, pixie dust, and dreams.

Very true. We still eat at many WDW restaurants we just don't have sky high expectations or obsess over it. We like a good pixie dusting of dinner just like anyone. Loved eating at BoG during the Christmas season in 2016. Food good, atmosphere excellent.

My list of restaurants to avoid is longer than my list of ones I like

This

Personally, as an aside, I think people get way to excited about WDW restaurants vs. the quality of the food. I guess it depends on what one is used to at home.

...and this.

Disney restaurants, as a whole, are very overrated by many.

Not saying that a few restaurants aren't good, but just overall, the quality just isn't there anymore. Definitely gone downhill over the years.

It's hard to believe all the folks who live in these supposed "meccas" of great restaurants, and they can't wait to get to Disney to eat. :rolleyes:

I go way back to when 'Ohana wasn't even called 'Ohana, it was the Papeete Bay Verandah, it was a much better experience then. There used to be a little trio playing live Hawaiian music and the food was good. It was still pretty good when they were still serving three types of meat and the cheesy potatoes. At some point they dumbed-down the menu to where it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I agree that most of the Disney restaurants are adequate, just nothing special but with a big price tag. Many of the restaurants are about the same quality as a Chilis, maybe even Outback. Not that you can't dine there and enjoy it, but there are few "best meal you'll ever have" examples there.

Truthfully, I don't over analyze my Disney meals. Some are better than others ... some restaurants are better one trip than other trips. If we are on a longer trip and doing the DxDP it all kind of blends together by the end ... all I really want by day 6+ is some ranch dressing that isn't fat free. Seriously one of my biggest food gripes Disney-wide is their nasty ranch dressing.

For the most part, Disney isn't a real foodie destination. There are bright spots here and there, but overall that's not why you are there.

Even among some of the local "foodie" groups I belong to, there is such a wide variety of what people consider as good and bad. I've also found that those that consider themselves to have a "refined palate" eat things that most people would find disgusting.

For the most part, Disney isn't a real foodie destination. There are bright spots here and there, but overall that's not why you are there.
I agree. We've been going to WDW since the late 70s, I remember thinking how good the food was considering we were at a theme park. I would often order one of the most expensive items on a menu and it was still very reasonably priced. Then Disney caught on that people were partly coming to the parks for some decent food and raised prices. Then due to financial pressure they began cutting corners on quality and raising prices. I understand business though, we still have some favorite spots to dine at WDW and we do a lot of snacks and sandwiches in our DVC villa.:earsboy:

I agree. We've been going to WDW since the late 70s, I remember thinking how good the food was considering we were at a theme park. I would often order one of the most expensive items on a menu and it was still very reasonably priced. Then Disney caught on that people were partly coming to the parks for some decent food and raised prices. Then due to financial pressure they began cutting corners on quality and raising prices. I understand business though, we still have some favorite spots to dine at WDW and we do a lot of snacks and sandwiches in our DVC villa.:earsboy:

Truthfully, I think a lot of the perception has to do with how hungry you are when you eat at a particular place. We were starving the last time we went to Via Napoli ... so it was obviously the best pizza we had ever eaten ... at least according to my kids.

some places are about venue only. Blue Bayou is one of the biggest examples of that. I can’t think of a lot of good options in regard to food aside from Boat Wright’s.

Last edited:
Disney food used to be much better and we got used to that. As the prices skyrocketed, the quality went down and that was hard to stomach. (Pun intended ;) ) We try to eat off-site more often and otherwise mostly stick to some old favorites.

I have found that there are only a few restaurants at WDW I like to eat at for the food (Jiko, Sanaa, Boma, Les Chef's and maybe 1 or 2 others). Then there are the restaurants I like to go to for the ambience (like Sci-Fi, 50's, Skipper). Then most of the other restaurants I don't really care for or dislike and are fine with me if we decide to eat at them or not. I do feel like the more hyped up a restaurant is, the worse it is. Restaurants like 'Ohana, California Grill, BOG (even before the changes) and Le Cellier just aren't good, at all, in my opinion and yet everywhere you look a vast majority of people would make you believe your vacation is going to be terrible if you can't get an ADR for them.

Ohana and Kona Cafe.
I agree, we love the poly but we have not eaten at either restaurant the last two trips. The last time we ate at Ohana the food was definitely nothing to write home about but the service was in the running for the worst I’ve had at any restaurant ever. No one was rude but they would drop food and disappear.

We have been going since 2006 and normally we had a polify of giving restaurants a 2nd chance but after 2 meals one at Rose & Crown and the other at BoG the girls have put these on the never again list. We must be a little weird because Ohana is still our 1st and last night dinners at WDW.

We have been going since 2006 and normally we had a polify of giving restaurants a 2nd chance but after 2 meals one at Rose & Crown and the other at BoG the girls have put these on the never again list. We must be a little weird because Ohana is still our 1st and last night dinners at WDW.
Not weird. It’s our first and last night too. We love ‘Ohana. But then again we can’t stand Akershus, which most people love. Didn’t care for it before and now the menu is just awful.

Via Napoli-both of us received baked pasta that had noodles so tough it was unedible. It had obviously been sitting under a heat lamp and dried out the pasta for awhile. We ate quick serve at the American Pavilion last time and it was better, at half the price.

Jiko-We may be the only folks on the Disboards that think it's overrated, but it's overrated. Serving sizes are tiny, didn't care for the taste, and the cost was exorbitant. It was just OK the first time, the second was unimpressive, the third with be at Sanaa or Mara instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter