Disney sent invoice to home after trip??

gracerussell

Mouseketeer
We recently returned from WDW, my mother in law was with. We set up her Magic Band so that all charges from her band went to her own credit card. Yesterday, we received an invoice from Disney Destinations in the mail, addressed to her. It was a detailed invoice with request for payment on all of her charges. I'm flabbergasted that they did this rather than charge her card directly - unless something was wrong with her card and they were unable to? Anyone else have this happen before?

Anyways, we are happy to pass a $900-something bill along and I'm glad it's not mine :)

There are other reports of this happening.

Last edited:
We got a bill from Disney for our room charges after our vacation in August 2014. There was nothing wrong with our card that we know of, the charges just weren't sent through. I asked about it on the Resorts board, and while not all that common, it does seem to happen rather regularly for no rhyme or reason.

We got a bill from Disney for our room charges after our vacation in August 2014. There was nothing wrong with our card that we know of, the charges just weren't sent through. I asked about it on the Resorts board, and while not all that common, it does seem to happen rather regularly for no rhyme or reason.

If this happens regularly, I would suggest that after charging something on one MagicBand, that the party stops at the front desk or Guest Relations and quickly makes sure the charge went through.

If this happens regularly, I would suggest that after charging something on one MagicBand, that the party stops at the front desk or Guest Relations and quickly makes sure the charge went through.

But that's not going to tell you anything unless you ask them to push it to the credit card, and I'm not sure why you would care. And even if goes through once doesn't mean it will work again because there was nothing wrong with the card, it was some sort of failure on Disney's end. It really wasn't big deal. We got a bill in the mail from Disney three weeks after our vacation, we paid it. And it didn't happen again on a subsequent vacation.

What Disney does, and I speak from knowledge, is they wait until the end of your trip then send to your credit card a bill for everything you charged during your stay. How I know this is about 5 years ago we put a cc that had a $1,000 limit as the card we would charge to. About a week after our trip we get a bill from Disney for $1,200. I called Disney to ask what happened and they told me that at the end of my trip we had charged $1,200 and that they submitted it to our cc company and were turned down, because there wasn't enough room on the card. It's not like when you use your card directly and whatever you charge immediately goes on the card. No big deal we just payed the bill, but we no longer charge to the room so this doesn't happen again.

We recently returned from WDW, my mother in law was with. We set up her Magic Band so that all charges from her band went to her own credit card. Yesterday, we received an invoice from Disney Destinations in the mail, addressed to her. It was a detailed invoice with request for payment on all of her charges. I'm flabbergasted that they did this rather than charge her card directly - unless something was wrong with her card and they were unable to? Anyone else have this happen before?

Anyways, we are happy to pass a $900-something bill along and I'm glad it's not mine :)

Yes we have but it is because the card was declined when they ran it. It was an error since they ran a different card than we had put for charging (they used the card we paid for dining with) but we received the letter under our room door in the wee AM hours.

I've heard of this happening too. I usually have them run my assigned card halfway through the trip and then they will run it again at the end of the trip. That way you avoid going over your room charge limit and if you are using a debit card many financial institutions will not allow any charges over $1000.00 to go through.

We had charges not go through on the last day of a trip because our credit card number had been stolen and used in another state while we were on a trip. The bank caught it and froze the card. We were unaware as it was over a weekend and the bank didn't call us. We got a note under our door and just went to guest services with a different card.

I wouldn't like if that happened to me because I would lose out on the points earned using my credit card.

Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer, but I think we could have called to pay with a credit card. It was a short trip and it was only our room charges, so we just sent a check since it was only a couple hundred dollars.

In reading some of these other responses, I do wonder if there was some old information in MDE that caused the mix up. Our credit card was compromised between initial booking/online checkin and when we actually traveled, but I'd updated MDE and we made sure they had the correct card on file when we actually got to the resort. I wonder if, somehow, the old credit card number was still hanging around somewhere and that got hit for our charges instead of the new number.

But that's not going to tell you anything unless you ask them to push it to the credit card, and I'm not sure why you would care. And even if goes through once doesn't mean it will work again because there was nothing wrong with the card, it was some sort of failure on Disney's end. It really wasn't big deal. We got a bill in the mail from Disney three weeks after our vacation, we paid it. And it didn't happen again on a subsequent vacation.

Wow - sorry you thought I was personally attacking you. I meant that if this happens often with all credit card charges on Magic Bands then others would want to check up on it. Not just you. Sorry to have offended you.

This happened to me today. Trip was about 3 weeks ago. I'm 100% positive there was nothing wrong with my CC on file and no limit was exceeded. Fraud didn't decline it because my card is still working fine 3 weeks later and I used it at locations around Orlando after Disney would have attempted the charge. My CC company always calls and locks my account when they decline a charge - that didn't happen here.

When I did online check-in it told me my CC was expired (it wasn't). I saw that error twice and corrected it both times, so maybe my CC information got corrupted in their billing database. I've used that same card with the same expiration date on previous trips with no issues. It was definitely a problem on Disney's end.

Anyway, the only option to pay appears to be to mail a check. I'm going to try to call guest services billing to see if they'll accept a gift card payment over the phone. Normally I'd be using CC reward points to pay but this trip tapped me out.

EDIT: I was able to pay over the phone (407-828-5630) with a Disney gift card.

Last edited:
I don't charge to the room ever anymore because of time, right after MBs, when I thought this would be efficient and kind of neo-techno-cool. It was not any of those things. Things were not charged at point of purchase (as PP cited), but after the trip in one lump sum. There's just something psychological about the "in one lump sum" that made my brain sad and hurting. Now, I just charge to the card directly. It is old school-boring, but it works.

Zombie thread alert!
Only a concern when the information is no longer relevant. The information in the OP is still applicable today. I also wanted to share my related experience in case anyone stumbles upon it from a search engine as I did. It's more efficient than making a new thread.

If there's a rule in place that I did not see that encourages people to make new threads instead of posting on an existing thread, my apologies.

Last edited:
Only a concern when the information is no longer relevant. The information in the OP is still applicable today. I also wanted to share my related experience in case anyone stumbles upon it from a search engine as I did. It's more efficient than making a new thread.

If there's a rule in place that I did not see that encourages people to make new threads instead of posting on an existing thread, my apologies.

Some messages boards have rules to use old threads.

The dis doesn’t. New threads vs dresging up old ones is encouraged and enjoyed.

Zombie thread alert!

Some messages boards have rules to use old threads.

The dis doesn’t. New threads vs dresging up old ones is encouraged and enjoyed.
I agree with @DisneyisaBLAST , while zombie threads are annoying most of the time, this one is actually applicable so no issues that it's been revived.
If Dis prefers people start new threads, why don't they auto lock threads after they reach a certain age, so no one can revive them? How is someone suppose to know what Dis prefers when threads are open?

Anyway, we are also some who have gotten a bill at home following a trip for whatever reason. The charges were valid, we called and paid with the card that we would have used had they ran it as expected. No idea why it didn't work at the time, glitch of some sort. But it was no big deal, super easy to do. Just took a few moments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter