• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney solo?

pkpope

Earning My Ears
so i’ve heard a bunch of buzz lately about “solo” trips, and I’m considering planning one. Im a pseudo-local (Tampa), and have an annual pass. I usually go to disney with my boyfriend, however sometimes I find myself wanting to go more often than he does. I am the kind of person who enjoys spending time alone and not having to hold conversations all the time and being able to just think about what I’d like to do at the parks as opposed to what whoever I’m with wants to do. I guess my question is how are solo trips? Do people really enjoy them or does it feel lonely? And if i do go, should I plan just a day trip or stay over night? I know it’s disney, however being a small woman in my early 20s the idea of staying overnight alone can make me feel somewhat uneasy.

Thank you in advance for all advice and opinions!

I go solo at least once a year and love it. I'm a small woman but not young, 61 and have never felt unsafe there. Of course, you have to use common sense, like every where else and be aware of things around you but it's pretty safe. I've never been lonely but I travel by myself often because my honey hates to travel and I love it. I also eat out by myself here at home when he is out of town for business so I'm used to that. I think my first trip was about 4 nights because I was worried about it, now I go for 6 or 7 nights. I like being able to do what I want when I want. Normally I go with my adult son and we have been going for so long that we pretty much have it down to an art and we pretty much enjoy the same things. I like to go to shows though and he doesn't so I'll do that when he's not there. I like just walking around and thinking that looks interesting or fun and just doing it. I don't make plans, no FPs or advance ADRs, it's all spur of the moment. If I want to eat at a TS restaurant I'll just hop on MDE and find one. If I want to ride a ride I'll check on FPs but if none are available I'll wait in line since I have no plans. I don't have to watch ESPN at night, I can get up early and go for my morning walk without having to worry about waking him up and I can sit on the balcony with a cup of coffee without worrying about waking him up. I don't have to ask what do you want to do, I just do what I want to do.

Solo trips are great! Read through some of the posts here and you will find that some people find a solo trip too lonely and will never do it again. But here on these forums you will read story after story from people who really enjoy it.
And if i do go, should I plan just a day trip or stay over night? I know it’s disney, however being a small woman in my early 20s the idea of staying overnight alone can make me feel somewhat uneasy.
Don't do anything that will make you feel uneasy. There are many young women who do not feel the way you do, but that doesn't matter. You have an AP, try a couple of solo trips without staying over night. See if you enjoy it. If you do then try an overnight stay when you no longer feel uneasy.

I've been in Orlando for work for a few weeks now and I've made a few solo trips. It's actually really enjoyable and as a woman, I have never felt unsafe or anything. I stay alone and offsite since I'm here on business and I've never had a problem. Just make sure you stay at a safe hotel.

I didn't really get lonely. I'm kind of like you, I enjoy my alone time. I would occasionally call my boyfriend while waiting in line if I wanted someone to talk to
though.

You'll definitely be able to do a lot in one day though. I only spent 5-6 hours in the parks each time and did most of the big stuff I wanted to do.

I can't tell you which to do (because I can't decide), but I can say that if you stay overnight, be sure to ask for an upper floor room, and stand your ground if the front desk CM tries to waffle! But I can say that in over 15-20 trips, I've only had one CM try to tell me I didn't need upper floor, and that was at AKL. At POR (Dixie Landings then), they assigned me first floor, which I took, but then when I came back and asked to move, they were very nice and accommodating. I just feel a little uncomfortable and don't sleep well when I'm solo on the first floor.

I can't tell you which to do (because I can't decide), but I can say that if you stay overnight, be sure to ask for an upper floor room, and stand your ground if the front desk CM tries to waffle! But I can say that in over 15-20 trips, I've only had one CM try to tell me I didn't need upper floor, and that was at AKL. At POR (Dixie Landings then), they assigned me first floor, which I took, but then when I came back and asked to move, they were very nice and accommodating. I just feel a little uncomfortable and don't sleep well when I'm solo on the first floor.
Thats funny, im the opposite. I feel more at ease if im on the ground floor for some reason. I always request ground floor. I dont always get it, but usually i do. :)

I agree with the others about trying out a solo day trip first to see how you like it. You're in Tampa, you have an AP, so why not give it a try? I've gone on a few solo trips, maybe 4 or 5, and its the best thing ever. I cant wait to go back again this year.

Thats funny, im the opposite. I feel more at ease if im on the ground floor for some reason. I always request ground floor. I dont always get it, but usually i do. :)

I agree with the others about trying out a solo day trip first to see how you like it. You're in Tampa, you have an AP, so why not give it a try? I've gone on a few solo trips, maybe 4 or 5, and its the best thing ever. I cant wait to go back again this year.

Me too. I always ask for a ground floor. There is more traffic on the ground floor and it is easier seen by people walking by. No one looks up. I would feel more uncomfortable being up in some corner where there is little traffic. And I would not want to go in the elevator when it is dark. I have been going solo for a few years and have never felt unsafe at WDW. I always take standard precautions of course. But I think Disney is as safe of a place to be solo as you can get.

Me too. I always ask for a ground floor. There is more traffic on the ground floor and it is easier seen by people walking by. No one looks up. I would feel more uncomfortable being up in some corner where there is little traffic. And I would not want to go in the elevator when it is dark. I have been going solo for a few years and have never felt unsafe at WDW. I always take standard precautions of course. But I think Disney is as safe of a place to be solo as you can get.
Yes, exactly. I feel safer knowing there is more traffic on the ground floor. People could easily see/hear if you were being attacked. On a higher floor where its quieter, i feel like the attacker would get away with more. Maybe its all in my head, but hey, thats just what i prefer. You should go with whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

I agree with you about dark elevators. Some value resorts have creepy elevators. But overall, i too have never felt unsafe at disney world. And i've returned from the parks after midnight on many occasions.

That's ironic how all solos are different. Kinda makes me have a little sympathy for the room assigners.

I love solo trips (and not just to WDW)! I went to New York City solo last year when I was 21 and I will be going to Disney next month solo. If you are in a hotel, I think you'll be okay in terms of safety. I usually stay at an AirBnB, which makes most people uneasy, but it's cheaper lol.

As someone suggested above, I would try a day solo and then transition to an overnight stay.

Not that you should let your guard down any where, but Disney World for me feels very safe. I wouldn't go solo just any where, but Disney World is high on my list.

If you stay overnight and live close to Tampa you could have another park day by staying overnight and then going home towards evening. To me that makes the commute more worthwhile.

What I'd be inclined to do in your situation is do some solo day trips first. Tampa is only 1.5 hours away -- I work with folks that have a one way commute longer than that every day. That'll at least give you a feel as to whether you like going to the parks on your own (you probably will!). Then if you like going to the parks solo, you can do some overnighters if you want...

so i’ve heard a bunch of buzz lately about “solo” trips, and I’m considering planning one. Im a pseudo-local (Tampa), and have an annual pass. I usually go to disney with my boyfriend, however sometimes I find myself wanting to go more often than he does. I am the kind of person who enjoys spending time alone and not having to hold conversations all the time and being able to just think about what I’d like to do at the parks as opposed to what whoever I’m with wants to do. I guess my question is how are solo trips? Do people really enjoy them or does it feel lonely? And if i do go, should I plan just a day trip or stay over night? I know it’s disney, however being a small woman in my early 20s the idea of staying overnight alone can make me feel somewhat uneasy.

Just do a one night/two park days trip. See how much fun it is to do exactly what you want to do for two full days. That way you can complete the full solo test all at once. I’ve been to Disney solo many many times. It’s wonderful! I always feel safe.

Honestly given your proximity to WDW, your familiarity with the parks, and the general safety of the resort, I would think Disney would be a totally ideal place for you to dip your toe in to experience the joy of solo travel. So long as you’re not staying at some seedy dive off property, safety shouldn’t be a big concern even as a single woman. Plus you’re close enough to home (and since you have an AP) that you can bail early if it turns out that traveling alone isn’t something you enjoy with minimal repercussions.

I took my first big trip alone last fall (to London and Paris, not to WDW) and it was honestly one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself. I’m even a little mad that I didn’t start traveling alone earlier! There’s so many trips that I could have taken but didn’t because I couldn’t find someone to go with me. I haven’t gone to WDW completely alone yet (though I have spent days at the park solo), but it’s on my list of solo trips to take.

I have a similar disposition as you in terms of liking to be alone without having to carry on conversations all the time, but like you, I still worried about feeling lonely before I took my trip. It never ended up being an issue. I spent a week on my own, and I was just too busy to ever feel truly alone. Instead being alone felt freeing. As much as I enjoy traveling with friends and family, it wasn’t until I traveled alone that I understood how much feeling responsible for someone else’s good time had held me back on other trips.

So go alone and have a good time! Make your first trip short if you need to, but do give it a try. It may open doors to all sorts of wonderful trips for you in the future.

I have gone to WDW solo many times. Yes, I am a male and not on the small side (TMI, but 6' ~235 lbs.). But, I refuse to live/travel/experience life with fear; I am just judicious on where I choose to go.

I NEVER had anything, but positive results going to WDW, alone. In fact, I felt more warmth there than anywhere else, solo (and I traveled across the US/UK for a living). It's the commonality theme of WDW passion that binds most visitors together.

I feel incredibly safe at disney. I'm 31, female, 5'2 ~ 117lbs. Not big at all but i can pack a punch if i need to. However, ive done multiple solo trips and have felt NOTHING but incredibly safe. There's plenty of CMs around, plain clothed security, and other guests who would, id hope, be of help in a bad situation. I think the one thing i wouldnt do is like, leave something valuable unattended, but i don't worry about myself getting harmed.

Hi!! I'm also a pseudo-local (Plant City), I'm a 4'11 woman and I go all the time solo, I just did a day trip to AK on Saturday. I would suggest doing a day trip to start so you get the feel for it. Pick your favorite park to start with and the good thing about being local is you don't have to stay all day if you don't feel up to it. I go solo just about every weekend now that my kids are teens/adults and have other things theyd rather do lol. Some trips I day trip, some I'll stay overnight or a few nights. Also when I stay overnight I use it as my opportunity to stay at resorts my kids were never interested to stay at. I absolutely have a blast. I don't really get lonely being there by myself because I'm usually focused on soaking up the atmosphere or things I haven't done before or in a long time (Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom is one I found I really enjoyed). I have a huge collection of ears and usually some cute kids will chat me up in lines about my ears (i have a few that they don't make anymore).

Being able to ride what I want when I want, see whatever show I want when I want, and eat wherever I want at what time I want is the best to me.

Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll have a great time, and like I said, you're close enough that if you want to leave you can

I've done HK and Tokyo by myself for the day and 1/2 day at Magic Kingdom/Disneyland by myself. Planning on Paris by myself later in the year.

I think it's great! I wish I'd done it earlier. No one shares my enthusiasm for it so I tend to get bogged down with them when I go. When I've been alone I've got to do everything I've wanted. Including character dining! People at the table next to me and staff helped take my photos. I can wait in lines as long as I want to and not feel pressured to give it up. I was on holidays with my husband so i wasn't alone at night in the hotel. When I go to Paris this year I will be so it might be different but all in all solo to Disney is a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter