Disney World or Disneyland?

I appreciate all of the thoughts and input! We’re leaning towards Disneyland with 5 day park hoppers and a day off in the middle to rest and visit Downtown Disney and the Disney resorts. Then head to the beach for a few days. After looking at all of the rides/attractions/shows that we haven’t got to experience (over 20!) I think it would be enjoyable for us to experience. Plus with my oldest being 13 my window is closing on him enjoying Disney I believe lol, so better not put off a Disneyland trip. Although I don’t know what to do with myself because I’m a planner! And like everyone has said there’s not much of that after deciding when to go and where to stay. We’ll definitely be back to WDW since it’s closer and cheaper for us, we just drive the 12 hours most of the time. Disneyland being “the original” has won me over. The Disney nerd in me needs to see it!

DL still has legacy fast pass. That is free. I can easily get 12-15 per day with ease. I don’t use maxx pass. Regular FP is great. I love being a FP runner.
either way. DL will always get my vote. It’s Walts park.

Buy MaxPass if you can. For $10/person, it is totally worth it, IMO. Was abel to get through all the rides in both parks in 2 days with it, and used our 3rd day going on our favorites. Also, the small area of the resort (and the parks being across a plaza from each other) is great.

DL > WDW for convenience and nostalgia. WDW > DL for bigger and more unique experiences.

Also, even though a lot of people say DL is just a wash of the MK, there are differences in the rides, and it can be fun figuring out which coast has your favorite.

For me: DL > WDW: Pirates, Space Mountain, BTMRR, Jungle Cruise, Fantasyland, Haunted Mansion
WDW > DL: Star Tours, Splash Mountain, IASW, Soarin

I think since you would have to fly for both looking at the total time of flying is something to take into consideration. For me while we could drive to DLR it is 22.5 hours plus (the fastest of the 3 times I have been on one of those drive straight through trips 2 of them with my parents and siblings in my parents car and 1 time on a bus with a collegiate church based club on a bus chartered from a church with a member of one of the groups from another school in my state being the 2nd driver-he worked part time driving school bus in the area his school was in so was licensed as a passenger bus driver) it is a long hard drive or broken up it is a good 2 if not 3 days so it is easier and faster to fly. DLR is 3 hours 52 minutes on the fastest time and WDW is 6 hours 48 minutes on the fastest time. This does not include time to get to the airport from our home, checking in at the airport, getting through security, waiting at the gate, getting something out of the vending machine post security at home airport or something from a vendor in both LA or Orlando, getting to ME or getting luggage and to the transportation to where we are staying at or near DLR, and getting to the hotel we are staying at-that is just flight time.

For all WDW vets thinking about a trip to DLR, this thread is super helpful: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. Feel free to ask any DLR trip planning questions on the Disneyland (California) board! I think Disney Legend Tony Baxter captured the differences between the parks very well, "Disneyland was made to be charming. Disney World was made to be awesome." Neither is better and neither is wrong. But it does help if you know what to expect before you arrive!

For all WDW vets thinking about a trip to DLR, this thread is super helpful: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. Feel free to ask any DLR trip planning questions on the Disneyland (California) board! I think Disney Legend Tony Baxter captured the differences between the parks very well, "Disneyland was made to be charming. Disney World was made to be awesome." Neither is better and neither is wrong. But it does help if you know what to expect before you arrive!
This thread helped me out tremendously.

One year ago exactly, I was actually dreading our trip to Disneyland. I felt very anxious about not knowing all of the ins and outs...not needing to do so much planning. After reading that thread, I began to feel better about going there.

Disneyland is truly a wonderfully magical place.

Which is better and you can spend more time in? Downtown Disney was nice in that it was also walk-able to DL and DCA. We are planning on visiting Disney Springs on our upcoming cruise when it stops at Port Canaveral but haven't been there as of yet.
They're different, but Disney Springs is much, much larger. It's 1.83 miles from one end to the other. It has 4 areas (the Marketplace, the West Side, the Landing and Town Center) Downtown Disney at DLR is more compact and awaiting additions from the closed down area near Disneyland hotel. It's less of a destination and more of a lovely area between the resorts that you can enjoy and stay late in and be in the Disneyland bubble.
Disney Springs is definitely worth a trip that you can easily spend a few hours or more there. At night (imo) is when it shines. They usually have different live entertainment. The lights and decorations are beautiful. We've gone during Christmas and it was magical, yet still is beautiful other times of the year as well. We're not huge shoppers unless it's Disney branded there (which there is a lot of), but we are huge on sampling! Try the coke flight on the rooftop of the Coke store. Or poutine at the Daily Poutine! There are so many desserts and snacks to try all over. It is a lot of walking, but using Uber or other transportation is easy and they have a designated drop off area. Take a look at the Disney website and make a reservation at a restaurant that appeals to you. There's an abundance. Anyways, you'll have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter