• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

I'm guessing the latter. Or they were trying to really clear the parks.

Definitely. I think it was a well meaning individual trying to clear the parks who possibly had misinformation.

No races in over 6 years means a lot of institutional memory was lost in that time. Then factor in the new start and finish line. I do think that the new staging area is better. The old area meant being squeezed into the corrals with everyone. Much more chaotic than the security lines this weekend.

Now, there is plenty of room for improvement.

I hope so too. I'm currently undecided about the Halloween races, but am leaning towards doing it.

Yep, when we saw it, we thought multiple people had fallen shortly before the mile 3 sign.

I experienced that. It was weird.

Given how long the lines for characters can get at the family reunion area at Disney World and the much smaller space for that at Disneyland, I don't see how they can put characters in that area. Maybe put them at the Expo, or *gasp* even have a dedicated line. Meaning you can get a picture with Dumbo, but have to show a Dumbo bib.

Fireworks happened Sunday night, but no castle projections. Which they had told us about.

The mile markers have always been virtually identical here. Star Wars and Marvel had some characters on the mile markers, but that's it. I would like to see at least a character or two thrown on each mile marker.

There were certainly some issues this weekend. In Galaxy's Edge during the half, a CM said "this is not a picture line" in front of the Millennium Falcon, but there was already a line there and he essentially pretended it didn't exist. Most of us simply moved a few feet away and took photos in front of the Falcon anyways. A lot of inconsistency for sure.

The expo was a pleasant surprise, if once again a bit chaotic. I got into Anaheim around 1:30 and the virtual queue was already closed. However, a CM told me that that the way things were going, they might open the virtual queue again around 6:00pm so keep checking the app. While the app did not say it was reopened, I decided that the worst thing they could tell me was no, so I made the short walk to the expo and they had opened it up for everyone. Much to my surprise, the only stuff gone were the half pins and the backpacks. Although the medal holders were still available Thursday night. Otherwise, both race weekend jackets and race specific jackets (half and Dumbo), Coast to Coast shirts, I did it shirts, and generic race weekend shirts, and the humorous race shirts (Bring on the other half marathon Mickey and Minnie, Donald run and done, et all) were still available.

I have a runDisney jacket problem, so will have to ban myself from race jackets for a while. I did meet a lady in line for Space Mountain who forgot that she preordered pins and then got them again at the Expo, so she happily sold me her half pins at cost right on the spot. Worked out great for both of us.

I was not surprised by long lines in Disneyland for in race photos. That was certainly the case for the Star Wars races here. With the chaos of putting characters along city streets, there's only so much they can do. I think it's better to warn people that staying in the line may get you swept. The Belle and Beast line during the 5K was already cut off by the time I got there.

I feel like runDisney was between a rock and a hard place with this one. The first race in over 6 years was going to have a lot of pent up demand and expectations. Sometimes, impossible ones. Now, mile 3 during the half was a decision that clearly did not work out. At all. I think more characters would have been nice. At least put Marvel characters in Avengers Campus, even if on an overlook ala Galaxy's Edge.

I have only one photo from the half not at the finish line and that's coming out of the castle.. Somehow, I managed to literally miss all the other photographers based on where they were positioned and where I was running. I understand why anyone who paid for the photos would be frustrated. I think that photo ops in front of the Quinjet and the Millennium Falcon, to say nothing of Sleeping Beauty Castle should happen next time.

All in all, they have a lot of things to improve on. But I think it will happen. If these issues continue, then there's a problem. But it's not like the well oiled machine that is runDisney at WDW hasn't had major race gaffes before at new races or with new courses, so this is normal. Hopefully they get these issues fixed.

I do like that with the earlier start times, I finally got to run through a Disney park "at night" instead of daylight or shortly before the dawn.

I'm a Californian so Disneyland is easier for me to get to. I look forward to running through Disneyland next time when that comes.

Would I do the back to back Coast to Coast again? Probably not. Took a lot out of me and also impacted just how much I felt up to doing in Disneyland since I needed to be extra careful about conserving my body. But I did it and enjoyed it. Also great seeing a few of you at the Tortilla Jo's meetup on Friday.
It kinda depends on the mile markers though. Like with the 1/2 yeah usually those are identical. But with the 10k I have some photos showing varying mile markers. It seems like they just pick and choose on that front

On the bright side Spectrum seemed to be taking the feedback they were taking on FB. Even if they weren’t replying to everyone. Which I’m taking to mean they’re noting what people are saying they need to improve hopefully

Looks good- I know you can't add every single thing, but to me I really felt at least 1 dining option should have been available to runners early like at the latest 3:00 am opening to grab coffee bagels etc. Disney is used to round the clock workers. For those that have done a WDW race do they have early food options?

2- bring back age group awards.

Oh- AND START ON TIME lol
Yeah while the 5k who knows what happened there. Considering this has happened before I’m feeling like the Half delay wasn’t an issue on rDs end. But someone probably taking their car and trying to ignore the road closures

Like 5k who knows what happened. Admittedly at least for me it didn’t bother me because there was no break like with the 1/2

Surprised they didn’t have AG awards to be honest

What am I missing and not thinking of?

For people coming from the Disneyland Hotel (and I assume the same for Grand Californian), we had to go through security twice to get into the start area (including taking our mylar off twice when it was cold!) and then again after the race, standing in line with people coming through security to get into the parks.
As someone who didn't run the half but went to the parks on Sunday, security after the race was a huge one. I waited in line for 30 minutes to get through security and got to talk to a few pissed off runners. This made things worse for runners and regular park goers. We all got delayed. Figure this out - either have a runner-specific line or have a better way to get runners back to their hotels. No reason for runners and park guests to be in the same security lines.

For people coming from the Disneyland Hotel (and I assume the same for Grand Californian), we had to go through security twice to get into the start area (including taking our mylar off twice when it was cold!) and then again after the race, standing in line with people coming through security to get into the parks.
YES!!! This was probably the worst part of the race weekend for me. It was torturous standing in that line (on more pavement) for 30 minutes freezing in my mylar and dreaming of the bath awaiting me. To pay such a premium for onsite hotels and not have a way to get back that avoided security (after already going through it twice in the morning!) was painful.

I think they also needed more light and more reminders to beware the lane line bumps in the road. I've never witnessed as many falls as I did last weekend.

YES!!! This was probably the worst part of the race weekend for me. It was torturous standing in that line (on more pavement) for 30 minutes freezing in my mylar and dreaming of the bath awaiting me. To pay such a premium for onsite hotels and not have a way to get back that avoided security (after already going through it twice in the morning!) was painful.

I think they also needed more light and more reminders to beware the lane line bumps in the road. I've never witnessed as many falls as I did last weekend.
They needed specific warnings about the reflectors in all the lane striping, since so much of the half was out on the roads. I seem to recall being warned not to run on the stripes in WDW because they stay wet longer than the road and can be slippery, but no one warned us in DL about those reflector bumps.

They needed specific warnings about the reflectors in all the lane striping, since so much of the half was out on the roads. I seem to recall being warned not to run on the stripes in WDW because they stay wet longer than the road and can be slippery, but no one warned us in DL about those reflector bumps.
Agreed - I think I posted here during the half - I saw 2 runners go down hard by tripping on the reflector bumps shortly after leaving DL. luckily they seemed ok. For the rest of the race I was hyper conscious of not drifting too close to the lines.

I almost tripped on them a couple times during the race!

Me seeing instagram posts of new DL treats a day after leaving…

View attachment 826816

CHURRO CREAM PUFF??????
Well thank you for posting about this because I know what I’m trying today (last day in the parks for me).

Also anyone want a story time on why to not get things delivered via non Amazon to DLH? Because boy did I find this out the hard way during the trip

The course crowding at the back of the pack/corral F in the 10K was insane. There were times that I simply could not find space to run.
Agree!! I was in corral F for the 10k and was really surprised at the congestion - even on the streets before entering the park! Very difficult to run.

After a long travel day, we got home safely last night. We got to see something special at LAX—one of the TSA dogs retired yesterday. He checked his last travelers not far in front of us, then his human coworkers threw tennis balls at him, took his picture, and wished him a happy retirement. I heard someone say he was being adopted. He was an older dog with a gray face.
I do wonder if anyone told him that he was retiring. Otherwise, he was probably confused as to why his coworkers were randomly pelting him with tennis balls, and why he didn’t go to work today. Maybe he thought he was being fired! 😂😂😂

Another interesting thing—we were waiting for the monorail to open for early entry on Tuesday morning, when we heard a very large helicopter approaching. It came into sight, stopped, and hovered. We saw a cable come down, then one of the full-size prop elephants (I assume from Jungle Cruise?) came up on the cable. I never really thought about how you would move those around, but it was really interesting to watch. Even the CMs stopped what they were doing to watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter