Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Please, APs don't take this the wrong way, but the reason the crowds are so bad at DL is there are too many APs. We had them for a couple of years but it got to be a forced march to get to the parks enough to get real value out of it, and Disney kept raising AP prices to try and limit the sheer # of APs so they could provide a reasonable experience for week-long visitors. That backfired though because AP holders just kept buying them, seemingly regardless of the price. We gave up - we go maybe 1-2 days a year and actually spend more time in WDW, even though we live 20 minutes from DL. LSS - hate to say it, but if this all results in a lot fewer APs that would be a good thing.

Disney keeps raising AP prices because they want to see how much people will be willing to pay for it. If they truly wanted to limit the sheer number of APs, they wouldn't have the monthly pay option for Californians and have everyone pay for them right there, upfront.

Reminder: Let's get this thread back on topic and focus on DLR's reopening. The AP arguments could go on and on (and usually do) -- and none of it will get the parks reopened any sooner -- and all the arguments are moot with the parks still closed. The reservation system with limited capacity will prevent anything close to the massive crowds people are complaining about, regardless of what type of entry media guests are using.
Let's get back to our scheduled programming!

I saw some recent posts about not going to DL on Columbus Day. If the park is reopen by then, I was thinking about the week before...October 4th - October 10th. Granted things will be much different with all of the COVID restrictions in place, but for people who have been to DL before, would that be a good time to go? Crowds will be managed, but how about weather? Otherwise I was thinking of October 25th - October 31st.

I saw some recent posts about not going to DL on Columbus Day. If the park is reopen by then, I was thinking about the week before...October 4th - October 10th. Granted things will be much different with all of the COVID restrictions in place, but for people who have been to DL before, would that be a good time to go? Crowds will be managed, but how about weather? Otherwise I was thinking of October 25th - October 31st.

It should be dry and warm. Maybe hot, depending on Santa Ana winds. Evenings are usually pretty nice.

https://allears.net/2020/08/10/stat...-disneyland-and-other-california-theme-parks/
Anyone seen any updates to this? Figured it'd be a bigger deal seeing that one of the biggest revenue generators for the state isn't generating much revenue from that area of their business.

No updates because to be honest the state and the parks had to have been discussing things back in June when Disney thought they could open Disneyland in July. California is no where near opening theme parks. Remember all indoor entertainment venues (museums, arcades, movie theaters, etc) are closed as well. While the states numbers are trending down they are no where near where they need to be to move forward yet. We have to get past at least Labor Day before we know if the trend will continue or if we see a spike in cases.

I can be very hot in early October. It's actually a really good time to go if you want to ride the water rides. If you went that first week, you'd be arriving on Gay Days last day (that day is usually extremely crowded), but the rest of the week should be great. Of course, there will be overall restrictions this year that will drastically limit the # of people on any given day.

The last weekend of October can be a nice time to go. It can be busy as well, because Halloween is a very popular time, but with the parties not happening and the presumed Covid restrictions, I wouldn't expect the parks to be full. I would completely expect them to limit the overall numbers.

October is one of my favorite times to go, but that's because of the decorations and overall theme. It's actually too hot for me usually - although it is a good time for the water rides.

I went on Columbus day last year. Total chaos. With that said, I do think it will be better this year, especially with restrictions in place. Plus I know of colleges in the surrounding area who have cancelled their fall breaks to prevent students from traveling and bringing the virus back to campus.

As for the weather. It ranges from very hot to beautiful. Last year on Columbus day the highlight was the weather. it was gorgeous that day. If it had been very hot, I think it would have been pure misery. Also like a PP had mentioned that is the time when Santa Ana winds pick up. This can cause fires, which can make the air quality bad.

Get Away Today is nudging people with DLR stays to switch to WDW. Got an email today suggesting it as an option and talking about how easy it would be to switch tickets, etc.

For folks that are comfortable with that option, looks like it’s not hard to switch if you booked with them.
Not shocked. I put a quote in for a Disney world trip to price things out. Just in case I decide to go.

Does anyone think DL would open the parks without the onsite hotels? I know at first when they planned to open in July the hotels were going to reopen a few days after the opening date. But I wonder if they can negotiate with the state that they can reopen with just a local population rather than encourage out of area visitors?

Does anyone think DL would open the parks without the onsite hotels? I know at first when they planned to open in July the hotels were going to reopen a few days after the opening date. But I wonder if they can negotiate with the state that they can reopen with just a local population rather than encourage out of area visitors?
Gosh, I hope not. As a DVC owner, for me, the two are tied together. I'd much rather see the GCH open without the parks. At least I could use my timeshare!

I have an upcoming stay at the VGC with a check-in date of September 2nd. Since this is a speculation thread.... any thoughts if holding on to this reservation is just hoping beyond hope?

Honestly if it had to be one or the other, I’d rather the hotels open first. I could totally go for a staycation at the GCH. Disney could open the hotels now if they wanted. So I definitely think you could see the parks open first.

I went on Columbus day last year. Total chaos. With that said, I do think it will be better this year, especially with restrictions in place. Plus I know of colleges in the surrounding area who have cancelled their fall breaks to prevent students from traveling and bringing the virus back to campus.

As for the weather. It ranges from very hot to beautiful. Last year on Columbus day the highlight was the weather. it was gorgeous that day. If it had been very hot, I think it would have been pure misery. Also like a PP had mentioned that is the time when Santa Ana winds pick up. This can cause fires, which can make the air quality bad.

We were at the park Columbus day 2018 and it was insanely busy that day. The rest of trip wasn't too bad but man I didn't even think about that when we booked our trip. Would have tried to push it back a day if I had known.

Gosh, I hope not. As a DVC owner, for me, the two are tied together. I'd much rather see the GCH open without the parks. At least I could use my timeshare!
Honestly if it had to be one or the other, I’d rather the hotels open first. I could totally go for a staycation at the GCH. Disney could open the hotels now if they wanted. So I definitely think you could see the parks open first.
I kind of wish the hotels were open now too lol. I am working remotely. I could stay there on the weekdays, then once finished with work I could hang out at DTD. I was wondering about the parks opening first since it could show Disney not trying to attract a ton of people to the area.

Yes I can see the parks opening without the hotels. I don’t see it as a way to get the parks open sooner, though. There are so many area hotels that it wouldn’t make a lot of difference.

I have an upcoming stay at the VGC with a check-in date of September 2nd. Since this is a speculation thread.... any thoughts if holding on to this reservation is just hoping beyond hope?
Don’t hold your breath for park openings before Labor Day. My optimistic prediction is November. My more realistic/pessimistic prediction is Spring 2021. 🙁

We just did a staycation at a cabin by the mountains in CO- it was really good for the mental health to get away for a night even if we didn’t really leave town.

I could totally see the appeal of a GCH staycation! So much fun. I think we’re all at a point that we need a change of scenery.

All DLR properties are now closed until Sept 16, according the CS rep spoke with a few minutes ago.

EDIT - I got confused about which thread i was posting in! I meant to actually speculate in this thread, not the DLR reopening thread.

Anyway, DLR properties closed through Sept 15, which I thought was interesting given that they'd only been issuing closures a week at a time. With hotels closed it is of course still possible that the parks themselves will open.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter