Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

:( - Have VGC Sept 2-5 stay too -- Aulani washed out earlier this month and now VGC. Well have Sept and Oct weekend dates setup; but not the same as a weeklong.

We'll take anything right now. Even Knott;s, lol :D

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see DL open without the onsite hotels. Assuming they use a reservation system, there are enough people within the 'commute area' to fill the parks at a reduced capacity.

If I were me, I'd figure that was the 'least expensive' way to test the waters.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see DL open without the onsite hotels. Assuming they use a reservation system, there are enough people within the 'commute area' to fill the parks at a reduced capacity.

If I were me, I'd figure that was the 'least expensive' way to test the waters.

I don't see how they can justify opening the parks with out raking in the big bucks from the resorts. On the most recent company call Bob Chapek himself said that resort guests are worth more to Disney right now than annual pass holders. They already got some money from pass holders.

I'm just anxious for 2021 information. Even though I'm still booked for December I've abandoned ship and begun focusing on our 2021 trip to fulfill those happy planning feels. You'd think they'd want to start pushing 2021 travel next year but maybe that doesn't make sense while they remain closed? Who knows. The silence is deafening either way. I follow Universal Hollywood on Instagram and I really enjoy that they interact with people in the comments even if it's just to say 'no news yet! we miss you too!' just let us know you're there Disney! :rotfl2:

Get Away Today is nudging people with DLR stays to switch to WDW. Got an email today suggesting it as an option and talking about how easy it would be to switch tickets, etc.

For folks that are comfortable with that option, looks like it’s not hard to switch if you booked with them.
Fwiw- Any TA can cancel your trip and rebook it to WDW. There aren’t cancellation fees by Disneyland right now. Get Away Today is just being business smart, WDW commissions are more likely to come through than DLR seeing as WDW is actually open.

Last edited:
I saw some recent posts about not going to DL on Columbus Day. If the park is reopen by then, I was thinking about the week before...October 4th - October 10th. Granted things will be much different with all of the COVID restrictions in place, but for people who have been to DL before, would that be a good time to go? Crowds will be managed, but how about weather? Otherwise I was thinking of October 25th - October 31st.
Competition could be extra high for park reservations if Gay Days is a go.

Does anyone think DL would open the parks without the onsite hotels? I know at first when they planned to open in July the hotels were going to reopen a few days after the opening date. But I wonder if they can negotiate with the state that they can reopen with just a local population rather than encourage out of area visitors?
I think they will open parks first. If they are ready to open with two weeks from getting a go from the governor as Gay Days said they heard the parks would have to open before hotels...

I have an upcoming stay at the VGC with a check-in date of September 2nd. Since this is a speculation thread.... any thoughts if holding on to this reservation is just hoping beyond hope?
I don’t know if DVC is getting cancelled like hotel stays are. WDW didn’t cancel DVC stays even when they announced hotels would be closed since DVC can operate without the hotels.

All DLR properties are now closed until Sept 16, according the CS rep spoke with a few minutes ago.

EDIT - I got confused about which thread i was posting in! I meant to actually speculate in this thread, not the DLR reopening thread.

Anyway, DLR properties closed through Sept 15, which I thought was interesting given that they'd only been issuing closures a week at a time. With hotels closed it is of course still possible that the parks themselves will open.
They aren’t.

But the phone CM can’t book you before that date so I can see why they told you that. “We might be open but I can’t book you” would go over very poorly with most guests.

They aren’t.

But the phone CM can’t book you before that date so I can see why they told you that. “We might be open but I can’t book you” would go over very poorly with most guests.

The way it was worded, it's clear that she expects that those reservations would be canceled because she told me to call and reschedule, but you're right, they haven't officially canceled past Sept 5.

Last edited:
I'm still in a holding pattern for this year's vacation rescheduling. I don't want to go to WDW and subsequently start the clock running on my AP with the limited hours, offerings and no park hopping. I'm not convinced DLR will be open before the end of the year (I hope I'm way off for the sake of all the locals). I also really want Avenger's Campus to be up and running for my next trip there as it may be my last for a number of years. I wish there was some insider info about AC and whether it can debut when the parks open. I just can't mentally commit to that alternative UO vacation while still being in the dark about DLR. Here's to hoping there's good news before the month is out.

Fwiw- Any TA can cancel your trip and rebook it to WDW. There aren’t cancellation fees by Disneyland right now. Get Away Today is just being business smart, WDW commissions are more likely to come through than DLR seeing as WDW is actually open.

I already paid for my tickets and got them emailed to me when they first announced the July opening date (😒😭) so a bit different for those with tickets in hand. Good to know they’ll let you trade them in!

Unless all places are letting you do that? Haven’t really paid much attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter