Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

So I am trying to understand this adjusted case rate.... almost every county has an adjusted score... but Orange. The score they have is for both. If you adjust it like the others, it's like an average of 5-6 points, they would be orange.....

No idea how anyone from Ghaly's office went to FL and toured the parks and could come to the conclusion that there was any reason to keep the parks closed. I have to say the folks here had it nailed - there was never a negotiation or even a discussion with the parks. So mad right now.

This article was posted by MiceChat one day before Yellow Tuesday (a phrase I’m borrowing from FreshBaked, haha). It correctly predicted the inspectors were not going to find favorable conditions because they did their ‘secret shopper’ style inspection at the worst possible time. It was done right before WDW put up the signs saying people would be asked to leave if they werent complying with the mask rules, and shows how rule enforcement had seriously been declining at WDW and crowding at DTD has gotten out of hand. I knew then that if even MiceChat was admitting this that odds were good the state wasnt going to give Disney a passing grade and unfortunately MC turned out to be right.

https://www.micechat.com/273009-disneyland-update-you-arent-going-to-like-this/

I think this is better than coming back and having large chunks of posts missing, which is what is happening currently.
Those large chunks are missing for a specific reason, unfortunately. It is a problem that is being worked on which we hope will get cleared up soon. I know it is aggravating, but there really is a reason for it and we really are working on it. It does seem to be getting a little better, slowly, so we'll see what happens.

So I am trying to understand this adjusted case rate.... almost every county has an adjusted score... but Orange. The score they have is for both. If you adjust it like the others, it's like an average of 5-6 points, they would be orange.....

The short explanation is that the case rate is adjusted down if you have higher volume testing. The exact formula is here:

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID19CountyMonitoringOverview.aspx
I would assume the reasoning is that you shouldn't "punish" counties for diagnosing more cases due to increased testing volume.

Has anyone received an official cancellation of an on site stay, hotel or DVC, for later than 10/31/20?
From GR:

They are running out of days to reschedule reservations. Reservations can’t be made past January. I want to reschedule my GCH reservation for March, but can’t yet. And I don’t want to outright cancel because I don’t want to lose my discount from already being forced to reschedule.

They are running out of days to reschedule reservations. Reservations can’t be made past January. I want to reschedule my GCH reservation for March, but can’t yet. And I don’t want to outright cancel because I don’t want to lose my discount from already being forced to reschedule.
Same. Now, I can't go until March. Keeping the discount would be ideal, but I would be happy to even be able to schedule it.

Yes, the adjusted case is because of testing. San Diego got same credits for good testing and it's been keeping us BARELY out of purple tier because of that.

San Francisco has hit a number of benefits: testing capabilities credit; large workforce ability to telework; and many fleeing to the burbs exiting the county altogether, but population denominator remains; schools all closed, including colleges.

Orange county can do one thing within their hands -- test test test.

Disney can do another -- test test test, and negotiate with state on another metric adjustment for parks to bump into better tiers -- I've suggested to adopt even more 'safety and tracking first' position to align with state like the CA COVID NOTIFY app that the state developed and embed that into the DLR app. It's the tracking app that Apple+Google developed. If any employee tests positive, enters a code and notifies anyone within direct contact with the positive person over the past 2 weeks.

This will present Disney as a model corporate citizen and taking even MORE safety options and really hard for the Governor say nope; not safe, not tracking, not testing.

I would think the unions would be eager to endorse a tracking system to get their people back to work and it's developed to be anonymous tracing by Apple and Google.

Same. Now, I can't go until March. Keeping the discount would be ideal, but I would be happy to even be able to schedule it.
I assume you will need to keep rescheduling month by month like in the past to keep the discount. I have Nov. DGC reservations. Having moved 493 times since March. Lol. I am hoping when I call (not if) that there will be some new policy in place for those of us who have stuck with the program all these months that will extend into the new year. I usually feel better after speaking to a CM about it. Maybe a call would help you. Its very fluid each time to say the least, so I am waiting for a bit for things to settle.

This article was posted by MiceChat one day before Yellow Tuesday (a phrase I’m borrowing from FreshBaked, haha). It correctly predicted the inspectors were not going to find favorable conditions because they did their ‘secret shopper’ style inspection at the worst possible time. It was done right before WDW put up the signs saying people would be asked to leave if they werent complying with the mask rules, and shows how rule enforcement had seriously been declining at WDW and crowding at DTD has gotten out of hand. I knew then that if even MiceChat was admitting this that odds were good the state wasnt going to give Disney a passing grade and unfortunately MC turned out to be right.

https://www.micechat.com/273009-disneyland-update-you-arent-going-to-like-this/
That's not what Ghaly said on Tuesday, and I can only take him at his word. He said the parks are doing a great job, but that they will attract a lot of people from out of the area, and they have no control over those people once they leave Disney property. I encourage you to watch the CAPA news conference that was linked a page or two back if you haven't done so already - REALLY excellent and thoughtful and they refuted everything Ghaly had offered as reasons to keep the parks closed.

Speaking of, can we talk about the closing comment from Legoland for a sec? I think that, more than anything got to the heart of how obscene the reopening guidelines are. His question was, OK, we open at the final stage, but at 25%. Since there is no stage beyond yellow, when will the parks be allowed to operate at a profitable level? After all, by the time we get to yellow, indoor malls will have NO restrictions, and are allowed to open with restrictions right now, even in purple. Frankly, all things being fair, I think the state restrictions point to the parks being allowed to open in red since restaurants and theaters are allowed to open at 25% capacity in red, and that is about the riskiest thing you can do in the parks right now. Everything else is outdoor or much shorter duration.

There is also Alameda County to compare with--it includes Oakland and has done very well. My last post about this was deleted so I will avoid the why, but if you look at the most recent data we are doing very well and moved to orange last week. We appeared to actually be in yellow this most recent week, but I think the adjustment kept us in orange. Here is the link: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID19CountyMonitoringOverview.aspx You then hit" "California Blueprint Data Chart," which gives you the excel download.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! for posting that!! It's the most useful information I've seen so far!! Thank you!!! I'm in San Mateo, and trying to figure out when we might move has been a little hard based on just the information on the State map. Thanks!!

That's not what Ghaly said on Tuesday, and I can only take him at his word. He said the parks are doing a great job, but that they will attract a lot of people from out of the area, and they have no control over those people once they leave Disney property. I encourage you to watch the CAPA news conference that was linked a page or two back if you haven't done so already - REALLY excellent and thoughtful and they refuted everything Ghaly had offered as reasons to keep the parks closed.

Speaking of, can we talk about the closing comment from Legoland for a sec? I think that, more than anything got to the heart of how obscene the reopening guidelines are. His question was, OK, we open at the final stage, but at 25%. Since there is no stage beyond yellow, when will the parks be allowed to operate at a profitable level? After all, by the time we get to yellow, indoor malls will have NO restrictions, and are allowed to open with restrictions right now, even in purple. Frankly, all things being fair, I think the state restrictions point to the parks being allowed to open in red since restaurants and theaters are allowed to open at 25% capacity in red, and that is about the riskiest thing you can do in the parks right now. Everything else is outdoor or much shorter duration.

That comment from that theme park exec got my attention, too. All of the theme park presidents in that press conference brought up some very valid points.

So for anyone with APs, Tokyo Disney has just made some interesting announcements (and FYI, Tokyo Disney Resort is not run by Disney at all-it’s entirely owned by a Japanese company who licenses the characters and pays for imagineers to design new things, but all procedures are their own).

Anyways, currently APs are not valid at the parks. You can enter a lottery each month to maybe get entrance, but it’s not until 2pm and most people I know/follow rarely win. But all along they’ve been saying they will extend the validation dates.

Well, last night (this morning by Tokyo time) they said all APs will be refunded. There’s some complicated formula involving the number of days left on the pass, considering the blackout days, and people have to wait to request them, but basically they are ending them all. They will announce in March future plans for APs.

Now, I don’t know if DL will go this route, and Tokyo is notorious for not treating their APs well (plus they are getting a lot of heat over this decision) but it’s something to note for future!

That's not what Ghaly said on Tuesday, and I can only take him at his word. He said the parks are doing a great job, but that they will attract a lot of people from out of the area, and they have no control over those people once they leave Disney property.

Las Vegas is back to the regular Sunday 10 mile back up of Californians returning home after a weekend of doing the "Viva Las Vegas" thing. I'm pretty sure there is far more of a spread from that crowd than what Disneyland would have. I just find the whole thing selective and odd. At some point, people have to be allowed to make their own decisions on how/when they will risk contracting COVID.

Las Vegas is back to the regular Sunday 10 mile back up of Californians returning home after a weekend of doing the "Viva Las Vegas" thing. I'm pretty sure there is far more of a spread from that crowd than what Disneyland would have. I just find the whole thing selective and odd. At some point, people have to be allowed to make their own decisions on how/when they will risk contracting COVID.

Yes! We are avid skiers, and by all accounts Mammoth and Tahoe will be open - with reservations, social distancing and face coverings. These places get visitors from all over the country. How is Disney different?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter