Disney's Club Level (CL) Information & Questions

In terms on light apps being a meal. I don't think the pp meant it as just eating light apps as light apps and calling it dinner is wrong. I took it to mean the people that clear out whole trays and eat like it's their last meal. I could have read it wrong but that was my impression. At our poly stay 2 years ago, the room next to us had young kids. We never saw them but saw their double stroller parked out quite a bit. Whenever we would go to the lounge we would notice dishes upon dishes outside their door. The problem was they were full! One night there had to be at least 20 uneaten wings outside their door. This along with many other full dishes. Drove me batty. Such a waste of food. If you don't know if you like it, try it before filling up 100 plates. It was like this every am and evening. I just don't get it. Those are the people that annoy me. All that food being thrown out :sad1:

Another question I meant to ask was about the new CL at the Wilderness Lodge for DVC. (direct buyers only) I read one poster state that when you purchased that extra "benefit" it was purchased by the day and someone else posted that it was purchased by the night, like it has always been. Anyone know? Just kinda curious about that and if Disney was going to try to "skim off of the top" with a purchase by day plan.

In terms on light apps being a meal. I don't think the pp meant it as just eating light apps as light apps and calling it dinner is wrong. I took it to mean the people that clear out whole trays and eat like it's their last meal. I could have read it wrong but that was my impression. At our poly stay 2 years ago, the room next to us had young kids. We never saw them but saw their double stroller parked out quite a bit. Whenever we would go to the lounge we would notice dishes upon dishes outside their door. The problem was they were full! One night there had to be at least 20 uneaten wings outside their door. This along with many other full dishes. Drove me batty. Such a waste of food. If you don't know if you like it, try it before filling up 100 plates. It was like this every am and evening. I just don't get it. Those are the people that annoy me. All that food being thrown out :sad1:
Wasting a lot of food is not good. I don't really like the little single plates but the one thing I do like is that my 9 yo DS can get one of something and give it a try. He often will try new foods and he found a few new things he liked last summer with the little app plates.

Wasting a lot of food is not good. I don't really like the little single plates but the one thing I do like is that my 9 yo DS can get one of something and give it a try. He often will try new foods and he found a few new things he liked last summer with the little app plates.
Yep, exactly. DGD tried many new things during our BWI stay, and became fans of them

I like the little plates for this reason too. I honestly don't have a problem with they using the little plates even when I know I like something.
So I get 1 bite on 1 plate or a full portion on 3, 4 plates. Personally, I get 1 plate of most everything to try it and then go back and get a 2nd for only those that I like. Maybe a 3rd if I really love something. Though that's rare for me to get a 3rd. Usually I'm full.

Thankfully I've never seen what PP describes and people scraping plates off on to larger plates or huge amounts of wasted food. But this may go back to not seeing lots of kids on prior stays. Mostly what I see is how we do it. Just taking the plates as we want them, one at a time. Which means there is always some there for others too. No hoarding.

Another question I meant to ask was about the new CL at the Wilderness Lodge for DVC. (direct buyers only) I read one poster state that when you purchased that extra "benefit" it was purchased by the day and someone else posted that it was purchased by the night, like it has always been. Anyone know? Just kinda curious about that and if Disney was going to try to "skim off of the top" with a purchase by day plan.
Is that not just saying the same thing 2 different ways? 6 of one and half dozen of the other? Some people refer to things as by the day, others by the night. But each is still talking about a 24 hour period. No?

I believe it is by the night. So if you stayed 5 nights. You would pay for 5 nights but technically use it 6 days accounting for check in and check out day.

Is that not just saying the same thing 2 different ways? 6 of one and half dozen of the other? Some people refer to things as by the day, others by the night. But each is still talking about a 24 hour period. No?
Well what I think the one poster was referring to was they were going to book it for one night, like maybe before a cruise or something and they were told that they were not going to have access to the breakfast in the lounge the next morning. (if it was booked by day, I think) Kinda like how Port Canaveral charges parking by the day, the can get two payments for the same day by different cruisers. Slick way to add to the bottom line.

I believe it is by the night. So if you stayed 5 nights. You would pay for 5 nights but technically use it 6 days accounting for check in and check out day.
That could be right, I don't really know. But the post really got my attention to the possibilities of Disney charging by the day in the future.

Wanted to get some opinions from the CL pros on this thread. :)

I am having a tough time deciding where to stay for our trip next month - we currently have a Poly CL lagoon view room booked. The last time we stayed CL there was in 2009, so I know the lounge has probably gone through some changes since then. My DD and I stayed at AKL CL last month and really enjoyed it so much that we want to do it again, but I am completely torn deciding between the two as I enjoy both resorts for different reasons.

Which resort would you pick for CL between the two? Do you feel one has better food offerings over the other? Does the lounge atmosphere differ (e.g. is one more relaxed)?

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, opinions and experiences!
Tough decision and you can’t go wrong with either. Whichever one you end up picking, I for one can’t wait to see your photos. Loved the journey you took us on your AKL stay last time!

The Poly has the best view hands down. I’m sure @GADisneyDad14 can tag one of his fabulous pictures. Makes me relax every time I see it. If you’re pool people, the Poly CL is steps away from the pool and it’s super easy to pop in to grab a beer or snacks. Poly feels like a summer stay. AKL though is so peaceful and chill. I see why you can’t decide!

As far as food, AKL has the edge for me. I’m a pretty picky eater and thought there was overall more to enjoy at AKL. Also more wine and beverage choices.

Seems like to me that the BWI gets the most positive comments in regards to the food offerings of the Disney CLs.

I agree! I had my first BWI CL stay last month and it blew me away! I have always read great reviews about the CMs and food offerings and I can honestly say that every great review I read was right on. I'm staying Poly CL for the first time in October and while I'm excited, I can't wait to return to BWI CL :).

So what? So what if my dinner is a light appetizer? Are you trying to imply that I would be breaking some rule by eating what's offered?
If so, I totally disagree with the sentiment. What about at the lounges where the chefs are cooking? And they bring multiple plates to the guests? No, it's not a full meal but if someone can be full and make a meal out of a light appetizer then who's to say that is wrong? Ever heard of Tapas style dining? Exactly what Club Level evening offerings at Disney is. Tapas style dining.

And of course Breakfast is a full meal.
I totally agree with this. I don't see what the problem is eating the appetizers as a meal. I can do it at a restaurant if I want. I did it at Hard Rock Hotel CL in Dec and I think I should be able to do this at WDW. Especially for what they charge. As far as breakfast it isn't any different than getting a free breakfast at Holiday Inn which my DH and I do all the time. For lunch/snacks it was Disney that added food items during this time. It used to be just really snacks like chips and candy and now at some CL's they have soup, sandwiches or salads. For me that is lunch food not snacks. It seems to me that it is Disney that made the changes by adding food and chef's cooking during service that make it more of a meal than a snack or appetizer only.

Ugh I’m so fed up with Signature Services. This truly is not the CL experience that I was used to in the past. They push back on every request and I’m not asking for anything out of the ordinary. ADRs, information on tours and such. They send me to the Disney webpage :sad2:

I just went an email asking for a ADR for Candlelight Processional and they told me I could go online on the 11th and make that! Am I missing something??????
I don't know what the problem is but I agree with you. I called yesterday to have them book my Candlelight Processional dining package and they took all of my info and were going to do it when they became available. They also booked my ADR's without a problem. I did call them though. I have seen PPer's say they have sent emails with their requests and get them. I would call and ask to speak to a manager, then I would tell them how disappointed I was in the service I have received from DSS. You could also complain via email to guest services about your experience. Your whole experience is totally unacceptable for DSS and what I would expect from CL. This all sounds just wrong to me and people at the manager level need to know. What you are asking for is exactly what they are supposed to be doing for you. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

I don't really get the fuss about CL apps being or not a full meal. If we chose to book a table service restaurant, I'm certainly not having a chat with everyone on the CL lounge that night to make sure everyone agrees. Same when we decide that the thing we want is to enjoy our “light appetizers from CL lounge” as our dinner. If we want to eat ten plates of something served that night, so be it. That's exactly the reason why we're paying CL: we don't want to keep track of our groceries while on vacation.

That being said, we've never run out of food (except perhaps for the last 5-10 minutes of the service, which can be understable as long as replacement items are still being offered).
If something were missing from the beginning, I would certainly politely ask a CM for it, and escalate to a manager if I didn't like the first response.

For the simple reason that some guests are treating the evening service as alternative / replacement for "Dinner" and not drinks and light appetizers. Club level was / is not designed as a replacement for a full service: Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner offering.

Dave

I don't know about that. We were definitely encouraged to make dinner out of the evening offerings at the CR. All they had was dinner sized plates and the chef came around asking "how are you enjoying your dinner?" The food was hearty, definitely not "appetizer" style foods. It was more like a buffet, with items in large quantities in chafing dishes. We had fried rice with HUGE strips of grilled chicken, sushi rolls, steak strips with roasted potatoes, soups, salads, pasta dishes, etc. They threw away a TON of food every day too, we saw them do it.

I don't know about that. We were definitely encouraged to make dinner out of the evening offerings at the CR. All they had was dinner sized plates and the chef came around asking "how are you enjoying your dinner?" The food was hearty, definitely not "appetizer" style foods. It was more like a buffet, with items in large quantities in chafing dishes. We had fried rice with HUGE strips of grilled chicken, sushi rolls, steak strips with roasted potatoes, soups, salads, pasta dishes, etc. They threw away a TON of food every day too, we saw them do it.
Good point. They have told us that ant food item place out had to be thrown out if not eaten. And I don't know about other lounges but at BWI they time the length of time food is out. I've seen them pull full plates of food because it was out past the time they allow. And it's not the full service, it's much shorter. I have to hope the staff eats some of it, even though they've told us they aren't supposed to

For what we typically pay per night to stay CL I don’t feel bad one bit about making a meal any time of the day, but I will say that being respectful and having courtesy to fellow CL pals is a must. Having patience with the CM’s is also very nice especially if the lounges are on the busy side.
I agree with this. Those CMs especially at Poly we’re running their butts off last summer. Although they were very busy they were always so nice and helpful but they couldn’t be everywhere at once.

Some more photo bombing coming up. Sorry guys.

I posted about our one night at YC CL above, but 6/30-7/6 we were at Poly CL. This was our second year spending 7/4 week at Poly CL.

Like every trip, it was mostly good... although a few nits. Many of us have resorts/CLs were tend to gravitate towards, and for us it is Poly. It's sort of "home" if you will. We know more of the CMs there and it's always nice to see familiar faces, along with the inevitable new ones.

With Poly, it's usually mostly about the lounge...
IMG_0752.jpg

New since Jan, they moved the coffee station to this location more in the middle of the lounge. Coffee is now out all day, it used to just be in the AM. I'm not sure what I think about it in this location. The prior spot more towards the food always caused congestion in that area. This just causes congestion (at times) in the seating area. Pretty harmless though.
IMG_0770.jpg

Beer fridge was stocked around mid-day each day with to go cups nearby. Poly has trouble keeping up with the beer fridge stocking on these heavy days like 7/3 and 7/4. CMs were working really hard keeping it filled, just so many people grabbing beer often. Beers were sometimes warm for my tastes. There were several days with afternoon storms that cleared the pools - those days were arguably worse when it comes to keeping the beers cold. :-)

Notice the cans/trash in this pic. I'll get back to that at the end.
IMG_2549.jpg

These centerpieces appeared half-way through the week. Not really sure why.
IMG_3183.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter