Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have time to go through all the pages here but about the renovated rooms. I don't think I've seen them on the Disney Site. Are they ready yet and do we know about how much for them? Also I'm seeing they are "suite-like" but aside from the added coffee maker I'm not sure what the real difference is between adding a pull down bed and just booking a room with 2 double beds?

Don't have time to go through all the pages here but about the renovated rooms. I don't think I've seen them on the Disney Site. Are they ready yet and do we know about how much for them? Also I'm seeing they are "suite-like" but aside from the added coffee maker I'm not sure what the real difference is between adding a pull down bed and just booking a room with 2 double beds?
They just started this week in the 90's section - none have been completed yet. The test rooms had a queen bed (we think) and a double pull-down Murphy bed rather than 2 standard doubles. Very bright, a lot of white, laminate flooring, similar to all the other new refurbs being done.

Oh man, torn! Should we choose
50s/60s with upper floor (which is what I ideally want, for potential viewing of fireworks)
or
90s in hopes of a refurb room
2 moms and our respective DSes, we will have a car, getting in April 18
any thoughts on this are welcome! :)

50s/60s with upper floor (which is what I ideally want, for potential viewing of fireworks)
or

My thoughts.....

Are you planning to drive to the parks? If so, I'd request the 90's since you'd be right next to the parking lot *and* you could use the Touring Plans room fax request service to specifically request one of the refurbished room numbers (since we already know the first batch of room numbers being renovated). You can always walk over to the bridge (or just that side of the resort in general) to watch the fireworks. For me, I'd want to try one of the newly refurbished rooms rather than having the view of the fireworks every night (though we did enjoy that the year we had a room in the 60's facing the lake).

or

If it were me, I'd probably stick with the 50s or 60s. They'd still likely be working somewhere in the 80s or 90s area and I would think any initial excitement over a refurbished room would be quickly overshadowed by the construction.

Sounds like you would need both beds as well, and as has been mentioned that may mean losing the table which is important to some.

Then losing the fireworks view that you'd like...unless you were really after that coffee maker, if it comes to be, then I don't know if it would be worth it. Hope you have a great trip wherever you end up :)

We checked out Wednesday afternoon and we had a pleasant stay at Pop. Having two connecting rooms was definitely comfortable for my family of seven. We loved the lake view, and being able to see the Star Wars fireworks from our third floor 50's building location was a treat. The lake views and landscaping around the resort definitely give the resort a tranquil ambiance which gives a balance to the big, colorful theming. The rooms were clean and in good shape. The full size beds weren't an issue like I thought they would be and we all managed to sleep well each night. My DH is 6"3 and he slept just fine. The bathroom that has the toilet and shower/tub is definitely on the small side and that took some getting used to; but having the privacy curtain in the separate vanity/sink area was really helpful for getting dressed in the mornings. We stayed in a family suite at All-Star Music on our first Disney trip, and in a three bedroom condo offsite at Windsor Hills on our last trip. My kids said they missed having a sofa/separate living room, and we could have really benefited from having a microwave/kitchenette for breakfast in the mornings. I also missed having an in room washer/dryer like we did with the condo. We spent $36 total doing laundry during our trip ($3 to wash a load and $3 to dry a load). With a large family, doing laundry at some point during a week long vacation is inevitable and we don't like taking a bunch of dirty laundry home either. Other than that, we have no complaints about Pop. The bus service was generally good. The CM's here are very nice and we liked the food court. We walked over to Art of Animation one day to explore the theming there and eat lunch at Landscapes of Flavor and I thought that the food court there was more hectic and not as efficient as Pop's. Maybe we just caught them on a bad day I suppose. Pop's kiddie pool with the fountains and small playground next to the 70's building 10 was really nice for my three year old. We enjoyed both the Hippy Dippy and Bowling Pin pools. The Fast Forward arcade is really fun too. My kids had a blast walking around the resort and exploring the whimsical theming. We didn't do any of the night movies by the pool because we were in the parks in the evenings most nights since the park hours were shorter and the one night we had an off/resort day the movie was scheduled to be shown over at Art of Animation instead of Pop, and my kids didn't feel like going over there at that point. We would definitely stay at Pop again and I am going to miss the smell of the Classic Hall lobby :laughing:.

My thoughts.....

Are you planning to drive to the parks? If so, I'd request the 90's since you'd be right next to the parking lot *and* you could use the Touring Plans room fax request service to specifically request one of the refurbished room numbers (since we already know the first batch of room numbers being renovated). You can always walk over to the bridge (or just that side of the resort in general) to watch the fireworks. For me, I'd want to try one of the newly refurbished rooms rather than having the view of the fireworks every night (though we did enjoy that the year we had a room in the 60's facing the lake).
I have been following this thread for quite a while but I don't think I know about that touring plans fax request service!(?) That might be helpful. Thank you! We are going to drive, and coffee makers (new ones too!) are a great plan...Minus the fact that I NEVER get a cup made then want it later.

or
I like the old rooms, poolside, bowling pin pool, not sure which section this is considered? 50's maybe?

I like the old rooms, poolside, bowling pin pool, not sure which section this is considered? 50's maybe?
:) 50s surround the bowling pin pool. Our reservation is standard read: cheapest ;) , so not sure about the poolside part being something I can request. No big deal either way, well, to me. Those boys (10, 11) probably have different ideals :beach:

They just started this week in the 90's section - none have been completed yet. The test rooms had a queen bed (we think) and a double pull-down Murphy bed rather than 2 standard doubles. Very bright, a lot of white, laminate flooring, similar to all the other new refurbs being done.

Going in April, will we be able to see test rooms? First time at Pop Century for me, but may not be the last. Will be staying in Art of Animation family suites in December (6 of us).

Our Dalmatian Day is today!!

Any guesstimates on how long each building will take to be completely refurbed? We are going in June, I don't really care if we get a "new" room, but since I am hoping to come back for a nap a few days (I can dream right, that my kids will actually conk out a couple days so we can enjoy later nights) I would try to avoid the building that was under construction. Right now we are in 60s because with the QS summer meal deal we had to book preferred pool view, but I'm hoping for a room discount and would love 70s lake view like our first trip.

I'm sure much more info will come to light as we continue to get closer to our trip.

According to the sign in the reno rooms it will take 20 days per room, Right now they are working on one section (rooms 25 to 48) on all floors. Even if you were in other sections of a renovated building do not thing there would be much noise interruption. They did take one of the elevator out of service for their use. They might increase the number being worked on as they go further on into the reno. Each room would be at a different stage in the renovation.

Hair dryers? I searched the thread but no clear answer. WDW states hair dryers are available upon request. I have seen posts stating the rooms have wall mounted ones and others stating no hair dryers, and some showing a hair dryer in a bag. What is the actual scoop on hair dryers? I hate over packing so I would rather leave mine at home.

My thick, naturally curly hair will appreciate your responses :)

Hello! Our flight lands at 10 pm and we are taking magical express to pop. Will there be any food available in the food court by the time we'd arrive? Thank you!

Hair dryers? I searched the thread but no clear answer. WDW states hair dryers are available upon request. I have seen posts stating the rooms have wall mounted ones and others stating no hair dryers, and some showing a hair dryer in a bag. What is the actual scoop on hair dryers? I hate over packing so I would rather leave mine at home.

My thick, naturally curly hair will appreciate your responses :)

There was a hair dryer in a bag on a shelf above the closet. Do not know how powerful it was as it was not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter