Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are planning a trip for April with our daughters, 11 and 8, trying to decide between WL and BC. Our second trip, first one was two years ago staying at AKL CL. We loved AKL but the distance to everything was difficult, travel took up a lot of time. We did have dinner at Whispering Canyon and had a fun time and thought the resort was beautiful.
It is a tough choice with BC being so close to Epcot and DHS, and the pool. Me and daughters are not crazy about the BC theme, being from MA we do Cape Cod every year so prefer something different, W is not as bothered by that. But WL is so unique and beautiful.
We are curious about the travel from WL. Are the boats crowded, ie do you have to wait for multiple boats (put aside after fireworks) we dont have to do rope drop. How is the travel to Epcot, since we really like Epcot also.
Finally, how are the breakfast options? Not sure if we will do CL this time but that was extremely convenient. We dont need a huge breakfast, we are ok with choices like a continental breakfast provides.

We elected to drive everywhere other than MK, so I can't comment on a lot of the transportation. But I can tell you I rode a half-empty boat back to WL after Wishes on May 11 (the last night of the show), and stepped onto the dock at 9:31 pm. I was totally impressed. Love that boat.

The boats are really nice and we have seldom had to wait for a second boat. I think the thing I like best is how nice it is to take a boat back to WL after a busy day at MK.

The bus to Epcot shares with Fort Wilderness so it takes about 20 minutes to get to Epcot. But WL is the first stop on the way back from the parks and DS, which is nice. Our two favorite resorts are BC and WL and we find that travel to Epcot from WL is fine.

The breakfast options are better at WL than at BC. They have a little more variety at WL.
Thank you very much, nice to hear from someone that has experienced both. We did enjoy the boat rides we took to WL and HDDR, it is relaxing after a long day. I did notice the breakfast options seemed better at WL, not as much at BC especially since a lot of people say to go to the BW bakery to pick up breakfast. But BC does have that pool and location to Epcot and DHS. Oh decisions, decisions.

We are planning a trip for April with our daughters, 11 and 8, trying to decide between WL and BC. Our second trip, first one was two years ago staying at AKL CL. We loved AKL but the distance to everything was difficult, travel took up a lot of time. We did have dinner at Whispering Canyon and had a fun time and thought the resort was beautiful.
It is a tough choice with BC being so close to Epcot and DHS, and the pool. Me and daughters are not crazy about the BC theme, being from MA we do Cape Cod every year so prefer something different, W is not as bothered by that. But WL is so unique and beautiful.
We are curious about the travel from WL. Are the boats crowded, ie do you have to wait for multiple boats (put aside after fireworks) we dont have to do rope drop. How is the travel to Epcot, since we really like Epcot also.
Finally, how are the breakfast options? Not sure if we will do CL this time but that was extremely convenient. We dont need a huge breakfast, we are ok with choices like a continental breakfast provides.
We stayed in June and just adored the boat! We never waited for multiple boats. We always got on even at the end of the night leaving MK (and we took it at least 5x and maybe more throughout our trip).

WL is quite unique and lovely (and obviously my "home"). You may or may not know that the same architect designed both AKL and WL--Peter Dominick--which may account for why you found both of them alluring. As Nymph says, over the years we have found the boat service to be excellent. During crowded times, there can be a bit of a longer wait (following fireworks and park closing at MK, for example), but we've rarely had issues. Busing to Epcot is the easiest, but again, we've not had any real issues with buses, either. As for breakfast, WL now has three options for breakfast: WCC (table service), though it sounds like you wouldn't need that much food; Roaring Fork (quick service), their menu isn't as good as it once was but based on your comments, you should be fine; and Geyser Point, the new quasi-quick service near the new pool. It has a limited menu but does offer a couple of different items than RF.

Thanks again for the responses. We are about 99% sure now that it will be WL, you helped convince us. It was interesting, I asked my 11 year old this morning why she liked WL and she said BC was like an "everyday" resort but WL was different and unique. Nothing against BC, it definitely is nice and for many people it would be unique, but for us it is not.
Now to decide whether to go CL again, lol. GADisneyDad posts of the CL area were very tempting.

Thanks again for the responses. We are about 99% sure now that it will be WL, you helped convince us. It was interesting, I asked my 11 year old this morning why she liked WL and she said BC was like an "everyday" resort but WL was different and unique. Nothing against BC, it definitely is nice and for many people it would be unique, but for us it is not.
Now to decide whether to go CL again, lol. GADisneyDad posts of the CL area were very tempting.

I am happy to help with any convincing you need. WL CL is great, IMHO. The only downer for us is the room sizes and dormer balconies, but the lounge is beautiful and food offerings were very, very good at the time (I was there late Nov last year). I go back and forth on this but WL CL has had (arguably) the best quality/variety of food offerings of any of the MK resort CL's we've been to in the past year.

I am happy to help with any convincing you need. WL CL is great, IMHO. The only downer for us is the room sizes and dormer balconies, but the lounge is beautiful and food offerings were very, very good at the time (I was there late Nov last year). I go back and forth on this but WL CL has had (arguably) the best quality/variety of food offerings of any of the MK resort CL's we've been to in the past year.
Thanks, your pics were great, understand about the room size which is not as much of a concern for us since we stayed at AKL before and they are the same size. Curious how busy it gets in the lounge because apparently you pulled the fire alarm in order to have it empty when you took the pics;) But seriously, we had pretty good luck at AKL CL getting seats in the morning, but it did get busy there, so wonder if anyone else has experience with it recently. Also, are the CL rooms fairly close to the lounge, at AKL we had a pretty long walk then had to take an elevator (sorry I know this could go in the CL thread).

WL is great, and has that special feel. We really considered a BC trip, but WL won out for us this year again. You can't walk to a park, but being so close to MK by boat or bus is nice, and you maintain a feeling of seclusion.

Also, are the CL rooms fairly close to the lounge, at AKL we had a pretty long walk then had to take an elevator (sorry I know this could go in the CL thread).
The regular (non-Deluxe) CL rooms are all on one floor, on one short part of the wing so everything is very close. They are on the 7th floor in the Western part of the North wing, since the 7th floor does not extend all the way down the wing towards bay lake like the other floors do. That does mean they all have enclosed "dormer" balconies, but we had one before on the 6th floor (non- CL) and were fine with it.

Thanks, your pics were great, understand about the room size which is not as much of a concern for us since we stayed at AKL before and they are the same size. Curious how busy it gets in the lounge because apparently you pulled the fire alarm in order to have it empty when you took the pics;) But seriously, we had pretty good luck at AKL CL getting seats in the morning, but it did get busy there, so wonder if anyone else has experience with it recently. Also, are the CL rooms fairly close to the lounge, at AKL we had a pretty long walk then had to take an elevator (sorry I know this could go in the CL thread).

Well, I don't like to take random pics of strangers so I did wait until no one was around for those pics. :-)

But, it was late November, the new lounge had only been open a week, and there was a lot of construction going on in general around the resort (very well hidden, but still stuff offline)... so the resort (and the CL) didn't feel that crowded at all. Often we were the only folks in the lounge.

But, as @GrandCalifornian noted, the WL CL floor is quite small, maybe among the smallest on property (except for the odd places like CR Tower Club). There are only roughly 24 rooms on the 7th floor, plus 12 deluxe rooms on other floors, plus the Yosemite Suite (and maybe a couple of other special suites that have CL access, I'm not sure). That's pretty darn small relative to other CLs.

Yes, all standard CL rooms are VERY close to the lounge.

Again, maybe it was just our timing... but I found the whole CL experience there to be very uncrowded and totally relaxing.

Hope that helps!

Here is my newest resort tour video: a 4K UHD Full Tour of Disney'w Wilderness Lodge Resort! I hope this helps anyone who is planning a trip or just helps anyone who wants to relive the magic!!

Thank you, @nelsonj3 for posting your WL video. I'm going to post it to the first page:)

We're headed (officially now) August 31 - September 5 at Boulder Ridge. Long time visitor to the Lodge, first time sleeper! :) Can't wait to stay there. Will be the BF's first official trip to WDW. (Feel free to add us to the list here!)

:rotfl:I see what you did there;)

Congratulations on finally booking and I'll log your dates, @Epcot82Guy.

Can you be let us know about this? My understanding was that both pools were open to anyone on property--Lodge or DVC.
Both pools are advertised on the Disney Wilderness Lodge website, and should be available to all resort guests. I believe Magic Bands are used for accessing both pools. We'll be there a week from Friday!

We were there Sunday-Tuesday. Our magic bands opened the other pool no issue. Loved the theme and it was much quieter than the main pool

I stayed at WL CL for 5 nights in May, and the lounge wasn't crowded anytime we were there. We booked CL specifically because we have a toddler and knew we would be spending a lot of time at the resort. All but 1 day, we had breakfast and dinner in the lounge (we made the evening offerings our dinner) and the other day, we had the afternoon snacks. DH and I took turns going to the lounge each evening after our son went to bed. I honestly couldn't believe how empty it always was. There were a few occasions when we were the only ones there! I'm not sure if or when CL will be in our budget again, but if it is, I'll be returning to WL, no question.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it's such a long thread, so forgive me for asking.

I have a Standard View room booked. My window for online check-in is this weekend. What should I do to get the best chance at a fireworks view? I know I should check the option for a high floor. Is there anything else I can do? Can I make specific room number (or range of room numbers) requests on-line? Or do I/can I make them over the phone?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it's such a long thread, so forgive me for asking.

I have a Standard View room booked. My window for online check-in is this weekend. What should I do to get the best chance at a fireworks view? I know I should check the option for a high floor. Is there anything else I can do? Can I make specific room number (or range of room numbers) requests on-line? Or do I/can I make them over the phone?
I would call and have the request for a good fireworks view added to your reservation. The best fireworks views are the rooms closest to the boat dock end of the resort on the high floors. But most of the rooms on the higher floors have good views except for the rooms above the lobby. There are too many trees in that section to have a good view of the fireworks.

I put highest floor and on check-in my room wasn't ready yet but they did find me another that was on the 4th floor. Fireworks were nicely visible from there. I requested 5022 on Touring Plans, got 4024.

Planning a return trip to WL for week of 4th of July 2018. We were there this July and was a great trip. This time the in laws want to join us. Will be 8 of us. The reservation system seems to be stuck on the week prior, not showing any availability for first week in July. Any ideas when that will open up?

Can you see fireworks from the CCV side? I was going to request 4 th floor. Views don't really matter but fireworks would be a nice bonus.

Hi all!

I Thought I had this figured out but after looking at video maybe not. I do not want a dormer balcony, are these only on 7th floor? I requested room 6042 thinking it was a regular balcony, is that right?

Thanks

Hi all!

I Thought I had this figured out but after looking at video maybe not. I do not want a dormer balcony, are these only on 7th floor? I requested room 6042 thinking it was a regular balcony, is that right?

Thanks
There are dormer balconies on the 6th floor for rooms 6031 t0 6004. Room 6042 would have a regular balcony. The top floors of each section have the dormer balconies. There are a few random enclosed balconies, too, on other floors.

You might want to add that you don't want a dormer balcony just in case the room you requested isn't available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter