DL races are back! Where to stay?

achang2001

Mouseketeer
It’s been a hot minute since DL had runDisney races. We are runDisney WDW veterans but where should we stay for DL races? Are there hotel shuttles to the starting line? It’s not within my budget to do MW, fly cross country then stay at GC.

Pretty much any of the walkable-to-the-parks good neighbor hotels should also be walkable to the start/finish area, assuming they keep it where it’s been in the past

Is there any advantage to a "good neighbor" hotel vs the ... merely acceptable neighbor hotels that are also in walking distance?

I’ve never looked to see if there are hotels nearby that aren’t good neighbor hotels because I’m planning to book a whole package through the Disneyland website

I have only raced at DL once--back in 2010. I stayed offsite at what was then a Residence Inn (it no longer is). It was off Disney Way behind Garden Walk. It worked out just fine. I walked to the race. It's only about a half mile. Seriously, it's shorter than going from the parking lot at Epcot.

Any decent hotel in the area will work.

It’s been a hot minute since DL had runDisney races. We are runDisney WDW veterans but where should we stay for DL races? Are there hotel shuttles to the starting line? It’s not within my budget to do MW, fly cross country then stay at GC.

We’re local to DLR but have owned VGC for race weekends (so thrilled to have at least one weekend back!!). We’ll also stay at DLH for staycations when my husband has conferences there. That said, one of our favorite places to stay offsite is Candy Cane Inn on Harbor Blvd. It recently just reopened after a lengthy closure. It’s a super cute motel that serves a pretty decent breakfast. There are so many walkable options though, so just check some reviews and you’ll be fine. I also stayed at the Travelodge on Ball once with a friend on a limited budget. It was walkable and fine…we could see the fireworks from our room. 😆🤷🏼‍♀️

We stayed on Harbor once- I think it was the Tropicana, but maybe the Best Western Park place. It was a quick walk with a lot of others so that was a fun way to get the morning started. The atmosphere was great!

We are at VGC for this race.

We also at Villas Grand California this trip but when we can't get in there, we have really enjoyed the new-ish Residence Inn by the Convention Center (Katella and Harbor). Nice, big rooms and a rooftop pool with a huge jacuzzi. CVS in the parking lot with a Springhill Suites above it that we have not yet tried but the CVS definitely came in handy several times. The walk is a straight shot down Harbor but we also go through the Grand Cali/ DTD entrance by walking down Katella. I understand that entrance is keyed now so you may have to enter DTD by the DLH instead but it is a prettier walk than Harbor. Also, past Disney races tended to end in the area near Paradise Pier and this is very close to that area. I'm not really up on current construction though and my last DL race was 2016 so I have no idea what the course layout will be.

As a person who likes to Disney on a budget, this is my two cents. When they announced the dates for the DL Races, waited until it was a year out from the date and immediately booked my favorite cheap and walkable hotel: The Days Inn on Ball Rd. It was only around $400 total for 3 nights and it was refundable in case I didn't get into the race. But thankfully I did. It's not the nicest, but I am not there for the hotel experience, I will be there for the races and the parks. I just checked and they still have rooms for that price on hotels dot com. So if you are looking for a place to stay that is decent and affordable and walkable, that's it. I've stayed there multiple times in the past and have had no issues.

As a person who likes to Disney on a budget, this is my two cents. When they announced the dates for the DL Races, waited until it was a year out from the date and immediately booked my favorite cheap and walkable hotel: The Days Inn on Ball Rd. It was only around $400 total for 3 nights and it was refundable in case I didn't get into the race. But thankfully I did. It's not the nicest, but I am not there for the hotel experience, I will be there for the races and the parks. I just checked and they still have rooms for that price on hotels dot com. So if you are looking for a place to stay that is decent and affordable and walkable, that's it. I've stayed there multiple times in the past and have had no issues.
Out of curiosity, how was the homeless situation walking to the park from that location?

I visited Disneyland for the 1st time ever last spring, and found walking back to the Alpine Inn at night solo a little unsettling.

Out of curiosity, how was the homeless situation walking to the park from that location?

I visited Disneyland for the 1st time ever last spring, and found walking back to the Alpine Inn at night solo a little unsettling.
I didn’t notice any issues in my stay nearby in 2017 but it’s definitely possible things have gotten worse since then.

I think it's the vicinity to the bus stop and 7-11 that makes it a little sketchy - speaking as someone who has done early morning runs in the area. But usually at night there's lots of people walking back to their respective hotels there.

Planning on staying around that area again since I'm not DVC. I think I crashed with a friend at Homewood Suites by Hilton for a race in 2016 - it was pretty nice! Walked to the starting line as were lots of other people. Decided to walk back after the race as I finished long before the shuttles started running.

The Days Inn and Alpine Inn are in opposite directions. The Days Inn is basically the corner of Ball and Disneyland Dr., so you’d most likely be walking up Disneyland Dr. to the race. Alpine Inn is on Katella, and you’d be much more likely to see a plethora of homeless population.

@dis_or_dat is correct, I was primarily thinking of the area by the 7-11 and bus stop. I realize the two locations are in opposite directions, but I didn't know if there were any other areas which drew a large amount of homeless.

Even with a large amount of people leaving the parks at the same time, I felt uncomfortable with some of the situations I witnessed and I like to often go back and forth to the room throughout the day.

Currently booked at Castle Inn since I doubt I'll be able to get a DVC room. Hopefully the location is a bit nicer.

Any recommendations for me? Solo female, would like to be walking distance and ideally under $250 a night, though I think that's going to be hard. I don't need anything fancy, but I don't want to be in a dump either.

Any recommendations for me? Solo female, would like to be walking distance and ideally under $250 a night, though I think that's going to be hard. I don't need anything fancy, but I don't want to be in a dump either.
Also solo female, and I’m planning on Best Western Stovall’s Inn. Just looked at it now and it’s $253 a night, but that may change by the time I book. I stayed at the Anaheim Hotel in 2021 and the location was good, but I got an unrenovated room that was…not great.

It’s the backside of Galaxy’s Edge and where people drive for park parking, so there isn’t any issue.

I’m really not positive about pricing, but if I were to stay solo or even potentially let my teenagers walk at night from the parks, I’d be ok with the motels at the crosswalk right across from the esplanade/bus entrance/exit on Harbor. Tropicana Inn, Best Western Plus Park Place Inn, Park Vue Inn, etc. And honestly any of those along that strip of Harbor should be fine because there are always so many people walking around. I love Candy Cane Inn on the other side of Harbor, but I have no clue about their pricing after being closed forever for refurbishment.

Currently booked at Castle Inn since I doubt I'll be able to get a DVC room. Hopefully the location is a bit nicer.

You’ll be totally fine at Castle Inn unless you can’t stand the smell of garlic walking past Pizza Press! 🙊😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter