DLP or bust! w/ Lots of Pics!

Me!Thatswho

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We are a family of four (Me, DW, DS(13) & DD(11)) who are long time fans of Disney. We have visited both WDW and DL several times. But, for our 10th year of visiting Disney parks, we decided to do something different - visit DLP!
While DW travels for work and has been to Europe several times, this was the first time traveling across the Atlantic for myself and my kids. So, this indeed would be quite the adventure!

Unfortunately, we had a near catastrophe right at the start. We were scheduled to flight out Monday the 14th. Our 45 minute trip to Boston from our home in Central Massachusetts was smooth as can be. We left early enough (3pm) that we missed the afternoon traffic and were all in extremely good spirits. Right before we left, we received word that our flight was delayed by nearly four hours. Fearing a cancellation, we called the airline and managed to get on the earlier flight. This was great news for all of us. We were heading right to DLP upon arrival. So, this extra hour meant we would have an extra hour to check out the parks if our room wasn't ready, or, alternatively, an extra hour to nap if it was before heading to the parks. Of course, all was not what it appeared to be as we would soon find out.

Upon arrival in the airport terminal (4pm), we could not check in. While we booked our original tickets through Delta, our initial flight was actually an Air France flight. The flight we switched too, however, was a Delta flight. Apparently the person at Delta who switched us did not fully transfer us over AND lacked the ability to do so in the first place. So, while we were in the system, it would take nearly an hour at the check-in counter to properly enter us into the system. FYI: it was a money issue - Air France didn't want to pay Delta back our payment. But, thanks to the counter manager, everything was eventually entered and we had seats! After a short line in security, we were in the terminal and headed for our gate (5pm).
Needless to say, we were all on a roller coaster of emotion. But, while we were once again flying high, the proverbial train would soon derail.

Within minutes of arriving at our gate (approximately 1 hour before boarding), the new flight was delayed first by 15 minutes, then 30, and then 60 - all within a matter of a few minutes. There was something minor broken on the plane. We were assured that once the part was located it would be a quick fix. Unfortunately, as it was later announced, the part wasn't available at Logan Airport. In fact, there literally wasn't one available with a 200 mile radius of Logan. Delta managed to locate one, but it was in Newark, NJ. Normally, this wouldn't have been much of an issue, as several evening flights from Newark arrive each night, but this day wasn't a normal day. Several severe thunderstorms spanned the entire Northeastern coast of the US, from Maine down to Virginia, and multitude flights at all of the major airports were either cancelled or delayed. Again, we were assured that once the part arrived it would be a quick fix. Of course, this would never happen.

We waited from 6pm - 12:30am, and were repeatedly told that the part was coming and the flight would depart. I even crossed paths with the captain of the flight. He was determined to leave, as he lived just outside of Paris and was eager to get home. Delta even brought out what my kids dubbed as the "cart of sorry" - a cart full of snacks and drinks for everyone waiting to board.

Around 12:30am, we received a triple blow - a) our original Air France flight took off, b) the flight on which the part was supposed to on arrived without the part so our flight was cancelled, and c) there were no hotel rooms available within 40 miles. While we were rebooked on a flight the following day, we had to drive home after 8 hours in the airport and we were going to miss a day in Disney. Needless to say, all of the excitement at getting in early long vanished. And now we were facing the possibility of missing the trip.

Not being able to find a direct line in to the Hotel New York online, I had to stay up until 3am EST (9am Paris time) for customer service to open. DW & I were really worried about losing our room. Fortunately, the CM reassured me that a room would be waiting. At around 3:30am, I headed upstairs to get sleep in order to recharge before giving it another go.

To be continued...... Oh, and it will get better - I promise! :wizard:

Oh no, what an awful start! We had to drive home from the airport and come back the next day for a flight a few years ago and it's not a nice feeling.

Looking forward to hearing how it all turns out.

- I had a little too much coffee today. So, since I have a little energy in me, lets add Part II!

So, after an unsatisfying and brief rest, Tuesday finally dawned. Instead of awaking in DLP, I was in my own bedroom. Definitely not the best way to start the first day of vacation! As I made my way down to the kitchen to start the much needed pot of coffee, something dawned on me - the TGV! Based on some solid advice given here, I decided to buy TGV tickets in advance. We were originally scheduled for the 12:15pm (CET) train, but it was 10am (EST) and we missed our train by a good 4 hours. Of course, as some of you may know, you can cancel your tickets up until 2 hours before departure and reschedule through 2 hours afterwards. Unfortunately, we missed all of the above. Afraid to deal with the RER without prior experience, I was forced to rebook us for a Wednesday train. To make matters worse, the tickets were about 30 euros more! Needless to say, the coffee wasn't that satisfying at this point.
The day went by rather fast. I had a chance to finish up a few last minute chores that I neglected the day before in our rush to get to the airport early, and the kids spirits were running higher than ever! Again, at 3pm, we departed and arrived in the terminal by 4pm. This time, however, check-in was a breeze! We had seats and the flight status was on time! We painlessly made our way through security, traversed the connecting tunnel between both sides of Logan's terminal A, and once again arrived at old faithful - gate A13!
Rather than tempting fate, we decided to get the kids a late lunch. While airport food isn't always the best, Logan has a decent selection of eateries to choose from. The kids wanted to try Fuddruckers, so burgers it was! After a rather filling meal, we made our way back to the gate only to learn.......

............. that ...............

.............. our flight ..............

WAS STILL ON TIME!!!!!
We managed to pass time by playing a few riveting games of pitch and go fish and taking goofy pictures with our GoPro.

GOPR0021.jpg

Me & DS(13)!

GOPR0020.jpg

DW, DD(11), & Me!
Before we knew it, it was 6:45 and the staff started boarding procedures.
Unfortunately we were flying on a smaller plane, so the family was separated. DW sat with the kids, and I was on my own in the back. As luck would have it, I sat next to a 10 year girl from Belgium who was flying home after spending three weeks at summer camp in New Hampshire. This would prove to be wonderful, as she practically slept the enter flight! Plus, unlike as if I was sitting next to an adult, she was so small that, when she leaned up against my arm, all I had to do was gently move her off and I had both arm rests!
As I mentioned before, this was my flight trans-Atlantic flight. However, having flown to California and Hawaii, I have been on long flights before. I had always imagined that we would hit serious turbulence flying over the ocean. But, as luck would have it, it was a much smoother flight that I could have hoped for. Two movies, four music albums, and 2 rum& cokes later, were in making our descent into Charles De Gaul! :cool1:

Oh my goodness, that sounds terrible! If there's one thing I've learned from traveling it's, when at all possible, stay far away from delta!

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay. Life has been hectic.

Hmmmmm........ Where was I? Oh ya.

So we landed at CDG as mentioned, and, besides being one of the last persons to disembark because I was in the last row, our arrival went smoothly. In fact, it was easier that it should have been. I guess luck was finally on our side. The line for checking passports, for example, was huge, but, out of sheer luck, we were taken out of it shortly after entering and allowed to use the line for people with disabilities, which was empty. Our bags were among the first to appear at pickup. And, we arrived just early enough that we were able to switch TGV trains from the 12:15 to the 10:10.

I will be honest though, I probably should have spent some time in the months leading up to our trip learning some French. Trying to figure out, for example, which ticket line to wait in would have definitely been easier. But, as the joke goes: what do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual. 2 Languages? Bilingual. 1 language? An American. :lmao:

Anyway, so, after a few minutes of mild confusion, we found the proper gate for the our train. We definitely cut it short, as our wait was only about 5 minutes before the TGV arrived. Once comfortably on board, we didn't even have time to get comfortable. Having never traveled on anything like the TGV, I really didn't think we would get to Marne La Vallee as fast as we did. I think the total time from when I sat down in the station at CDG to when I exited the train was 15 minutes! Thanks again to all those here who said it was the best way to get to DLP.

While exiting the station was quick and painless, I did make a minor rookie mistake. I remembered reading that it was a quick walk to the Hotel New York. When you exit the station, the hotel looks like it is right there. Rather than going through Downtown Disney (which initially didn't look possible because of the way bag-check is setup), we went down the long walkway to the parking lot. Upon reaching the lot, it was apparent that we couldn't get to the hotels from there easily. So, we turned around, went back to the station, and hopped on one of the hotel shuttles.

I will admit that our little extra walk was 100% my fault, and, needless to say, neither DS nor DD were pleased with me!

IMGP3377.jpg

IMGP3378.jpg

Within minutes, we were at the Hotel New York!

IMGP3401.jpg

I was immediately struck by how different entry to DLP was than to either WDW or DL. For those who have never been, before you can enter the hotels, not just the parks, you have to go through bag check. Unlike at either of the US parks, all bags - including suitcases - are x-rayed on the spot, so, the line actually moves much faster that at WDW or DL.

Check-in took awhile however, as many people were arriving at the same time. Much to my chagrin, we lost what should have been our room (on the 5th floor) because Monday evening's mishap and placed in a room on the first floor. Again, to anyone who has never traveled to DLP, or Europe for that matter, the 1st floor is actually what we in the states would consider to be the second floor, as the ground floor is considered to be "zero." So, while I was initially no pleased that we had what I believed to be the ground floor, I was relieved to find out that wasn't the case.

IMGP4250.jpg

IMGP4245.jpg

IMGP4247.jpg

IMGP4248.jpg

IMGP4252.jpg

As for the room itself, it was smaller than what we have become accustomed to in our Disney trips. There wasn't much space to walk around the beds, but the bathroom was bigger. Unlike even the moderate resorts in WDW, the beds were double beds - not queens. Fortunately the mattresses were comfortable and the room was clean. NOTE: while clean, I did notice that the bathroom in particular needed some serious TLC. The tiles around the tub needed to be regrouted, and a new coat of paint would have made the room look brand new.

After a quick change, we started our visit!

First up, Walt Disney's Studios Park.

Oh thank god things are looking up! What a horrible start to things! I would be so annoyed! But I am a stickler for things going to plan ;) Glad your 1st transatlantic flight went well.
I love HNY! It smells good! Looking forward to seeing it get a make over, HNY is on the list to be renovated after HNY and possibly the Cheyenne.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.
Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2

Oh thank god things are looking up! What a horrible start to things! I would be so annoyed! But I am a stickler for things going to plan ;) Glad your 1st transatlantic flight went well.
I love HNY! It smells good! Looking forward to seeing it get a make over, HNY is on the list to be renovated after HNY and possibly the Cheyenne.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.
Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2
Yup. It was rough going, but we did finally get there. Now the fun begins!

And I am glad to hear that HNY is scheduled for renovations. It was a great place to stay! It was just close enough to the park, and we loved walking through DTD every morning. If we are fortunate enough to return to DLP, we definitely would stay there again.

On to the Studios - and more pictures!!!!:cool1:

If I had to guess, I would say we were at the gates by noon.

IMGP3380.jpg

IMGP3383.jpg

IMGP3396.jpg

IMGP3397.jpg

IMGP3389.jpg

We headed for Ratatouille, but, upon making our way into the back, we learned that a) the standby line was about 90 minutes, and b) all of the fastpasses were gone. NOTE: for those who may travel to DLP in the next few weeks, CMs are handing out fastpasses by hand upon rope drop. Obviously we missed out this day, but we would get to ride later on in the trip.

So, not being discouraged, we walked around the Studios to get our bearings.

As we walked by ToT and saw it had only a 10 minute standby time, we just had to "check in" as it is one of my kids favorite rides. NOTE: it is not the same version as WDW, which has random drops. Instead, it is identical to DL, which has upper and lower boarding elevators and does not drive you to the drop shafts. Still, it is a great ride.

IMGP0145.jpg

Once we "checked out",the previous 48 hours seemed to suddenly catch up to us all. Knowing that we had reservations at 18:00 for Cafe Mickey's, we decided to walk back to the HNY for a quick nap.

As we walked back, the Panoramique balloon was operating. Unfortunately this was the one thing on our list that we did not manage to fit in.

IMGP3400.jpg

Upon our return to our room, I don't think we were there for more than 10 minutes before a chorus of snores rang through the room. It was just what we need to recharge our batteries.

Once we felt like ourselves again, we walked to Cafe Mickey's. Rather than waiting for 18:00, we decided to see if we could get a table early right when it opened at 17:30. Fortunately, it wasn't a problem.

IMGP4263.jpg

We were on the meal plan. Thanks to the advice I received here, I shopped around to the various countries' websites to find the best deal. We booked through the UK site, and received 20% plus free half-board plus. NOTE: if we didn't receive it free, I would have paid out of pocket. But, having it free, did make things easier.

I choose the mushrooms, linguine marinara and the profiterole. DW had the gnocchi, DS had the linguine, and DD had the kid's pizza. The food was fresh and the portions were just large enough to fill, but not overfill, an empty stomach.

For characters, we saw Minnie, Eeyore, Goofy, and Mickey,

IMGP3436.jpg

With bellies full, we made our way to Disneyland Park!:rotfl:

By 19:30, we were entering Disneyland Park.

IMGP3438.jpg

IMGP3445.jpg

IMGP3450.jpg

IMGP3451.jpg

IMGP3455.jpg

IMGP3457.jpg

Upon making our way down Main Street, we immediately turned left towards Discoveryland.

IMGP3462.jpg

IMGP3464.jpg

High on our "must do" list was Space Mountain: Mission 2. As we neared, all of us were definitely giddy. There looked to be a line, so we grabbed Fastpasses. NOTE: for those who have never been to DLP, they are still using paper fastpasses. This made me very happy, as I absolutely hate the fp+ currently used at WDW. But, interestingly, the return window is only 30 minutes, which I thought was brilliant. Also, CMs were more flexible with return times. Twice on our trip we missed our window (once by 15 minutes, and again by ~25 minutes), but fortunately we were allowed to ride. This definite was a refreshing change compared to our last visit to WDW prior to fp+.

Upon pulling tickets, we noticed Star Tours behind Space Mountain. After visiting with WALL-E and EVE....

IMGP3472.jpg

.... we took our first Tour To Endor in several years. NOTE: Both DL & WDW have updated Star Tours to a 3-D version with random scenes. Truth be told, while I thoroughly enjoyed it - even though it was mostly in French, our Star Speeder 3000 was in desperate need of a refurb.

IMGP3474.jpg

IMGP3476.jpg

After returning to port, we made our way to Space Mountain. Unfortunately it was down.

IMGP3486.jpg

IMGP3500.jpg

So, with SM down, we had a chance to explore Les Mystères du Nautilus. While not even close to as fun as the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride at WDW (now Nemo at DL), it was still a really neat and a great place to cool off.

IMGP3488.jpg

IMGP3495.jpg

I personally really loved the theme of Discoveryland. It reminded me of DL. I wish WDW would overlay Tomorrowland with the same 19th century/Jules Verne features.

IMGP3501.jpg

Seeing that SM was still down, we made our way over to Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant.

IMGP3505.jpg

IMGP3524.jpg

It truly is gorgeous. The entire family agreed that, of the three Disney castles we have seen, it is by far the best! I would personally rank the castles as follows: DLP, WDW, DL.

We also loved Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant.

IMGP3509.jpg

IMGP3514.jpg

IMGP3515.jpg

After visiting La Tanière du Dragon (which I could not, despite my best efforts, capture because I forgot my "dark-ride" lens at home :guilty:), we made our way over to Adventureland....

IMGP3530.jpg

IMGP3532-1.jpg

... and rode Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril! We absolutely loved this ride. In fact, we rode it back-to-back, as it was walk-on.

IMGP3537.jpg

IMGP3545-1.jpg

While in Adventureland, we also rode Pirates of the Caribbean. NOTE: like the castle, DLP's PoC is by far the best we have ridden. As for rankings: DLP, DL, WDW.

IMGP3533-1.jpg

IMGP3921.jpg

From PoC, to SM! After riding PoC, we decided to see if SMM2 was running again. Fortunately, it was!

IMGP4572.jpg

NOTE: Mission 2 again is the superior version. In fact, other than the name, it is nothing like either SMs. I would go so far as to put SMM2 among my favorite coasters of all times. My only complaint is that, when the queue reaches the point where it raises you over the track (where the stairs are), it really needs better ventilation. It was appallingly hot and there was no circulation of air whatsoever. Had we not had waters in hand, it wouldn't have been good. Still, despite the 10 minutes in the virtual sauna, we, being a family of coaster-buffs, loved this ride and would return to DLP simply to ride it again. Rankings: DLP, DL, WDW.

IMGP3559.jpg

From there, we journeyed to Fantasyland. We noticed that It's a Small World was walk on. So, we had to check it out. We loved it. Again, I would put DLP's 1st, above DL's and WDW's.

IMGP3569.jpg

IMGP3573.jpg

IMGP3585.jpg

While DD wanted to ride the Tea Cups, unfortunately it was closed - as was the rest of Fantasyland in preparation of Dreams.

Not knowing what else to do, we headed towards Frontierland and set our sights on Thunder Mountain. As the train departed from the station, the whole family was taken aback by the sudden entry into the tunnel. It wasn't until we finished the ride that we realized that Thunder Mountain was an island unto itself and to get there you had to go under the Rivers of the Far West. Needless to say, the extra tunnels puts DLP's TM at the top of the list, followed by DLs and WDWs.

IMGP4031.jpg

Then, as the sun started to set, we decided to enjoy our last ride of the evening - the Phantom Manor. NOTE: I, based on advice here, had read up on the back story of this ride. While I knew the story behind it, I did not quite know what to expect from the ride. But, as had happened time and time again this evening, the PM didn't disappoint. Ranking: DLP, DL (with Christmas overlay), WDW, DL (without overlay).

IMGP3618-1.jpg

IMGP3612.jpg

IMGP3616-1.jpg

By this time, the family was feeling the effects of an extremely long day, so we made our way down Main Street to watch Dreams. I had every intention of videoing it on this night, but time and time again fathers put their children on their shoulders and blocked my view. To be honest, it didn't really bother me. Even though I find myself viewing life through a lens, it was nice to simply stand and watch a beautiful show. Plus, I would have done the same if DS or DD were younger. Unfortunately, we were too far back to see the full event of the water jets. So, we knew next time- we would have to be closer to the front!

IMGP3621-1.jpg

Not too bad for Day #1. Oh, and in case you haven't noticed already, we're definitely park commandos.

More magic - and pics - to come soon!

Day 2:

While we fully intended on waking up for extra magic hours, no-one even stirred until about 8am. By the time we all woke up, dressed, showered, and had breakfast, it was about 9:30. Breakfast was good! I loved the scrambled eggs and the croissants. But the first cup of coffee of the day was even better!

IMGP3627.jpg

Seeing how we missed EMH, we decided to head over to the studios to see if we could ride Ratatouille. Unfortunately, as we neared the gate, signs were posted that the entire Ratatouille area was closed until 15:00 for video taping. My guess is they were filming ads.

As we merely walked through the Studios the day before, we decided to try to get on whatever rides struck our fancy. If memory serves me correctly, we rode:
RC Racer (loved it; wish we did it twice),
Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin,
Crush's Coaster (the wait loooonnnggg even though we entered the queue after it came back online after being down much of the morning - still it is a great ride),
Toy Soldier Parachute Drop (similar to the Jellyfish Drop in DL),
Rock 'n Roller Coaster (much rougher of a ride that WDW's, I think it's desperately in need of a refurb; as such, it along with ToT are the only two attractions shared in common with WDW that the WDW versions are better),
the Studio Tram Tour (longer than WDWs with a second special effects area),
and the Tower of Terror.
We also enjoyed Stitch! Live (similar to Turtle Talk in WDW and DL, only funnier),
and Armageddon.

For me, I loved many of the special details that were unique to the Studios, along with some that were familiar.

IMGP3632.jpg

IMGP3633.jpg

IMGP3634.jpg

IMGP3635.jpg

IMGP3637.jpg

IMGP3640.jpg

IMGP3646.jpg

IMGP3647.jpg

IMGP3651.jpg

IMGP3653-1.jpg

IMGP3656-1.jpg

IMGP3658.jpg

IMGP3660.jpg

IMGP3669.jpg

IMGP3675.jpg

IMGP3728.jpg

IMGP3815.jpg

IMGP3827-1.jpg

IMGP3849.jpg

IMGP3853.jpg

IMGP3855.jpg

IMGP3860.jpg

IMGP3862.jpg

Unfortunately, we did not get to ride Ratatouille. We made our way over just before 15:00, only to learn that a) it opened earlier than announced - 14:00, b) the standby was once again well over an hour, and c) there were no fastpasses left. Now that we were down to 1 and 1/2 days left, it would be a priority for Friday morning.

Feeling that we managed to see and do almost everything we had wanted, it was time to hop to Disneyland Park!

Day 2 - Part II

Of course, as we made our way from the Studios to Disneyland Park, there were more photos to be had!

IMGP3871.jpg

IMGP3879.jpg

IMGP3880.jpg

IMGP3886.jpg

As we managed to ride all of the major rides the prior evening, we decided to slow things down and enjoy many of the unique nooks and crannies that makes DLP so special.

In no particular order, we explored:
Le Passage Enchanté d'Aladdin,
the fort in Frontierland,
Adventure Isle,
La Cabane des Robinson,
and La Plage des Pirates.

IMGP3890.jpg

IMGP3893.jpg

IMGP3901.jpg

IMGP3944.jpg

IMGP3961.jpg

IMGP3999.jpg

Shortly there after, we made our way over to the Agrabah Cafe for dinner. While the selection for a buffet seemed somewhat limited, the food, even though much of it was on the cold-side, was good. But, unlike Cafe Mickey's the night before, the restaurant was practically empty. In fact, there were only five other families present by the time we left.

IMGP3940.jpg

After dinner, we made our way to Fantasyland.

Together, we rode:
Le Carrousel de Lancelot,
Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains (we really miss Snow White's Scary Adventures not that it no longer exists at WDW),
and
Les Voyages de Pinocchio (we love Pinocchio! There was no noticeable difference between DL's and DLP's other than the obvious - the language! :rotfl2:).

DD & DS walked through Alice's Curious Labyrinth (they said they loved it) while I had to take a call from home,

and DD finally had a chance to ride the Tea Cups!

Unfortunately we missed Le Pays de Contes de Fées and Le Petit Train du Cirque. Apparently both close much earlier than the rest of Fantasyland. And, because of the length of the lines, we chose to skip Dumbo and Peter Pan.

We also rode the Disneyland Railroad all the way around the park. It wasn't until we did this that we realized truly how much larger Disneyland Park is compared to either Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom. Even though there are less rides, it really is huge and has so much room to grow.

We also managed to squeeze in our second rides on SMM2, TM, and the PM!

By 22:00, we were spent. Rather than pushing it and hopes of watching Dreams, we decided to catch on our third and final night.

Here are some random pics from Day 2.

IMGP4006-1.jpg

IMGP4011-1.jpg

IMGP4013.jpg

IMGP4014.jpg

IMGP4019.jpg

IMGP4022.jpg

IMGP4030.jpg

IMGP4033.jpg

IMGP4036.jpg

IMGP4062.jpg

IMGP4068.jpg

IMGP4071.jpg

IMGP4074.jpg

Great trip report so far! Seems like the disaster from the beginning didn't matter anymore as soon as you crossed the ticket booths

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter