DLR is great.... BUT

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
First let me say that nobody was rude or unfriendly, but rather it is the policies that make everything I'm trying to do an absolute nightmare.

Background- I've been an annual pass holder at WDW for over 10 years. This is a very easy process. WDW actually wants my money.

We finally made our first trip to DLR last month. We LOVED it. So much so that my wife and I decided to make two trips a year from Connecticut just to visit DLR.
The next natural progression was to look into annual passes. We didn't want the blackout dates, so we decided on the premium passes.

Because our next visit is not until March '07, we figured there is no need to purchase now.
We started the planning process by booking the GCH, concierge level for the rack rate less 10% AAA discount.
We were hoping to get a better discount with an AP rate, but every CM was very tight lipped about this. They all said I must first purchase the AP before they could even tell me whether or not an AP rate existed for March. I asked if I could just use the voucher to get this info, which resulted in checking with supervisors while I'm on hold. I was finally tild yes.
Okay, I'll purchase it now, as long as the annual clock doesn't start ticking until March. Why not? I have to cough up the loot sooner or later.
So now I asked for my $20 DVC discount. The CM had no idea, and had to track down some info. I was then told I had to do that upon arrival. Okay, the discount is now out the window since I want the pass now for the AP discount on the GCH.

I tried to purchase by phone, but there was a $20 shipping fee for phone orders. $20???
I was told shipping is free if purchasing from the web site. Okay, I'll do it that way. The web site just wouldn't accept my user name. It kept telling me it was already taken. Taken?? IT'S MY E-MAIL ADDRESS!!! How can it be taken?
I had to call to get this figured out. Of course this takes several calls and transfers, and I'm told with millions of people using the site, my e-mail was not unique. Huh?? Of course it's unique, otherwise I would get their e-mail and they would get mine!
Finally it was figured out, and the AP purchase was complete.
This back and forth has now taken a couple hours.

Fast forward to today-
Received pass vouchers in the mail!! Progress!!??
I opened the envelope and read the vouchers/1 day tickets. "MUST BE USED BEFORE 12/13/06" is printed on the back.
I called the AP number and was told they don't really pay attention to that, and it would be okay. I find that unacceptable. What if I wait till March, travel from Connecticut, and find that I have just spent $698 on expired tickets?
I’m told not to worry about it?? I asked for something in writing stating the vouchers would be valid in March. They said they can’t do that. I spoke with a couple supervisors who said they can’t put that sort of thing in writing due to legal ramifications.
What??? So they want me just to accept a ticket that says IN WRITING that it will be expired? They repeated that the ticket doesn’t say it will be expired. I then asked how they would interpret the phrase "MUST BE USED BEFORE 12/13/06". If it doesn’t mean they expire, what DOES it mean?

I am now referred to Guest Communications. Again, nobody was rude or anything of that nature.
I am informed that they can
A) Make an exception for me in the system for a later expiration date
B) Refund my tickets

Both seem to be reasonable solutions. I didn’t buy off on choice “A” because I still had no assurance it would actually be in the system. They actually said to call back in March and they would put a note in there. Why wait until March? I will have to go through everything again, and this time the voucher will be expired! That may not be a good thing!
I guess now I’m looking at choice “B”. I am now told I have to write an explanation and send the vouchers back. Holy smokes, I have to start writing explanations after all this?
I was then told the vouchers are like cash, so return them by certified mail. Can’t they cancel these electronically?
The process is now costing me money.

I still never found out about AP rates at the GCH for March.

The whole process has been frustrating, and has taken several hours over the course of a few days.
Why is it that DLR policies make it so hard for me to give them money? :confused3

Thanx for letting me vent… :smokin:

MG

I really see where you are coming from! I have had AP's at both WDW and DL and there is no comparison between the two processes. In the two years I had DL AP's I was never one time able to score an AP rate for an onsite hotel. It was always "call back, we don't know if or when they'll be released". Once I got my AP's at WDW what a nice change when making hotel reservations. I like DL AP's for the convenience of using them for multiple trips and the in park discounts at restaurants etc. but would never buy one solely for hotel discounts. The one time I was able to get an AP discount over the phone it was not even as good as my existing reservation I had through Expedia so I didn't take advantage of it. My theory is that unlike WDW, DL AP holders are mostly locals who live nearby who don't need accomodations for their trips and when they do have the flexibility to go through the hassles. Therefore DL doesn't need to offer much in the way of AP discounts. Also, with only three hotels they just don't have enough rooms to spread the wealth of codes and discounts that WDW does. Now when I go to DL I generally use my DVC points which are a much better deal than they used to be. As for DL cm's not knowing about DVC discounts, that is getting better. Not that long ago there was absolutely no DVC presence at DL whatsoever, now you see them all over and on our last visit we had no trouble getting the DVC discounts for the first time. Before that, we had to take printed out information for the cm's to read through. And here is what I do now for my DL AP's. I start out by purchasing DL park hoppers at my local Disney store before my trip, making sure they don't expire before my trip (because sometimes the park hoppers have exp. dates too). I use those the first couple of days, esp. if there's a Saturday thats blacked out in there and also to get the ESPN Zone cards. Then after about three days, I upgrade them to Deluxe AP's, making sure I do this after any blackout dates for Deluxe Ap's have passed (this isn't always possible but was for us since Sat. was the only day blacked out for our last two visits). I make sure that if there are any AP discounts at restaurants that I need, Goofy's in particular, I don't go there until after I have my AP. Many times my DVC gets me the same discounts the AP does so I don't need the AP for that anyway. Also, sometimes if I miss out on a discount I figure its okay since the Deluxe Ap is saving me money over multiple trips anyway and the 10% at some counter service place isn't that much to worry with anyway.

Sorry about all of your hassle, I hope it all works out for you!

I hear your pain MG!

It might even get worse.....when I was at DL last November there was a HUUUUGE long line for the APers to get a required photo taken. Something else to plan for....

I sure wish our WDW AP's were usable at DL.

On a good note, I kept whipping at my Disney VISA for purchases and received unexpected discounts for food and shopping. The CM's definitely know about Disney VISA discounts without any prompting.

I have had an annual pass since 2001. Honestly there was better deals on the DIsney hotels back then and stuff was not so tight lipped. We live a long 8 hours away from L.A. So we don't have the luxery of what a so cal resident does, meaning never having to worry about hotel accomodations. I must admit we got a great deal when we first became pass holders on Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel. We took my son for his 3rd birthday and stayed 3 nights over a weekend and only paid $59 per night. That's unheard of now. The cheapest I've seen in the last year was something like $129 per night at Disney's Paradise pier. And Disneyland Hotel we stayed there for 8 nights in 2004 and paid an AP rate of $159 per night. And the rooms sucked compared to Paradise Pier. We've never stayed at GCH only because the cheapest rate I've seen is like $189 - $229 per night. And let's face it, if you've been to WDW I think their Moderate hotels are in good comparison with the DL hotels. Yet DL charges almost equvilent to Deluxe room rates at WDW. Yes we still have our annual passes but the room rates are terrible. And just for the record they used to release "AP NITES" rates like 2 -3 months in advance, now it's like 1 week in advance. And I always forget to show my pass at dining places or merchandise shops....maybe it's because the 10% off is really not a good savings at all. So get a DISNEY VISA it saves you more than an AP.

Just so you know, I have an AP and AP rates for on site hotels haven't been released yet for Winter/Spring, only for Fall.

Really good rates for onsite hotels dont typically come up until very close to time- like the month before. The reason they wont give you something saying the a/p voucher will be good is to cover themselves if the price goes up. What they would do, is apply what you paid to the new rate. I don't know why they couldnt just tell you that or write that down and send it to you.

I too am a long-time AP holder for WDW. When I made my decision to go to DL this year, I wanted the DLH --but the prices were so high! Anyway, I called the number from Mousesavers.com which was recommended, (sort of like CRO) and I got a wonderful CM who asked me if I was an AP holder for DL. I said no. He invited me to purchase an AP so that I would get the discount for the room as I was arriving at the end of August--and a discount would be coming up. He added the cost of my AP to the hotel bill; when I checked in, I got my voucher, and went to the park to have my picture taken. (Remember when they used to take your picture at WDW?) Anyway, it all worked out, I got my discounted room and a deluxe AP. But, I do feel your pain, because everytime I asked questions during my stay, I had to ask three or four different people to get an answer. I found that the CM's just were not "up" on things. For instance: I wanted to know if I could pay for the bus back to LAX with a credit card. I was told at the front desk that I could not. So, I ran around looking for an ATM. Once the bus arrived, the coordinator said they took cash, credit cards. I was also told that I had to make a reservation to go on the bus. Also not true. Lots of misinformation out there. All in all, things went very well, but then again, I'm a seasoned Disney traveller and have the sense to keep asking questions until I'm satisfied.

Disney Fool said:
But, I do feel your pain, because everytime I asked questions during my stay, I had to ask three or four different people to get an answer. I found that the CM's just were not "up" on things. For instance: I wanted to know if I could pay for the bus back to LAX with a credit card. I was told at the front desk that I could not. So, I ran around looking for an ATM. Once the bus arrived, the coordinator said they took cash, credit cards. I was also told that I had to make a reservation to go on the bus. Also not true. Lots of misinformation out there. All in all, things went very well, but then again, I'm a seasoned Disney traveller and have the sense to keep asking questions until I'm satisfied.
I had a similar experience during my first WDW trip last June. As you all know, WDW is much more complicated than DLR because of its size and number of activities. I got misinformation from so many CM's while there it drove me crazy. I learned to always ask several CM's the same question, and then still to not completely trust the answer and have backup plans.

This related to:

Transportation to Parks (What time does the first boat arrive? - critical question if you want to make rope drop - I always got a different answer)

Parade information (At MK was trying to make it to Splash Mtn during a parade one evening and wanted to find out about parade crossing points - was told not to bother because Splash Mtn always closes at dusk - !!! - this by a Jungle Cruise CM, not someone who cleans restrooms)

Disney's Magical Express (Missed bus ride back to airport although we were 40 minutes early. Why? Because the DME bus did not have a DME sign on it and we let it drive off when we went to another bus with a DME sign. However, the second bus with the DME sign was not going to the airport for another 90 minutes and told us the bus that just drove away without a DME sign was in fact our DME bus. The bus driver of the bus we missed walked past us twice without saying a word although he knew he was supposed to pick up a group of 6 - we were the only group to be picked up at that time, and we were waiting there with a group of 6 - but he still just drove away without any kind of announcement)

Tickets (Had pre-purchased paper tickets through Ticketmania and was told by everyone that I could have these transferred onto my room key. Went to do that at concierge and the CM tried several times before telling me she couldn't do it. After persisting with her, she made some calls and figured out she could do it)

Amy&Dan said:
Now when I go to DL I generally use my DVC points which are a much better deal than they used to be. As for DL cm's not knowing about DVC discounts, that is getting better. Not that long ago there was absolutely no DVC presence at DL whatsoever, now you see them all over and on our last visit we had no trouble getting the DVC discounts for the first time.

I know this isn't on-topic, but I'm very curious about this. I'd like to buy into DVC, but don't plan on travelling to WDW more than DL. What kind of discounts do DVC members get at DL? What about using points for DL hotels? I've asked at the DVC boards, but the general consensus is to not use them anywhere but DVC.

Sorry to bring up this older thread, But I've been away at work and wanted to thank all who responded. :)

Since the pass discounts will not be available for quite some time, I'll likely return the pass and re-purchase early next year.

mom2dzb, the best use of DVC points is at the 7 DVC resorts, but they can be used at almost all Disney resorts worldwide.
It may not be cost effective to use them primarily at DLR unless they build a DVC resort there.
--- We can hope! :smokin:

MG

dis-happy said:
...On a good note, I kept whipping at my Disney VISA for purchases and received unexpected discounts for food and shopping. The CM's definitely know about Disney VISA discounts without any prompting.

Isn't that the truth. Often they told me about the discount instead of me asking for it. We did have to ask for it once, though. The CM was rather ditzy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter