DME Departure time changes with MCO Travel Advisory

‘Ohana is notorious for running behind and for being slow. If your pick up time is 11:30, you won’t make it.

Secondary Security Screening Selection means you'll be seeing and talking to lots of extra security people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_Security_Screening_Selection

But what I am talking about is not based on that factor. My other half and I have PreCheck and fly out of a mid-sized US airport. At our airport - with PreCheck and nothing on my boarding pass, b/c they don't tell you until you're already in line and never look at your boarding pass - you can be randomly pulled aside for what is euphemistically called random, additional, security screening.

So far since officially securing PreCheck, my other half and I have been randomly selected on 50% of our flights. I hate being groped in public. I'm not seeing the value in PreCheck so far.
'groped in public'??? Seriously? You consider being patted down 'groped'. Somewhat inflammatory. I've had precheck for 4 yrs...I haven't been pulled out of that line ever, not once. If I arrive at the airport, in plenty of time based on having precheck, and I'm pulled out of line and am made late? I'm not going to be happy. Not because I've had random additional screening...but because I planned my time and now I'm in danger of being rushed!

I flew home yesterday...I was picked up at Music at 10:35, we stopped at Movies, then hit the road. Arrived at MCO around 11:40...the driver was hugely slow!!!! The regular security line was listed as about 25 minutes...and that's about what it looked like. I was in precheck for about 8 mins..longer than usual. I had people in front of me that had issues with their boarding passes, people that were in the wrong line (seriously...one couple argued with the TSA agent, kept saying they were first class so didn't have to wait in the regular line! That didn't cut it with the agent..he sent them away!!). The tram to the JB gates was crowded but we got on the first one that arrived, and were at the gate by noon, for a 1:30 flight.

This is comforting to know that they haven't adjusted times too much earlier than a little over 3+ hours. We should have pre-check by then too (our letters are in the mail from TSA!!!) so we should move faster than the regular line. I did manage to snag an earlier 'Ohana, but it's a little too early for my liking (7:35 am!!). I haven't cancelled my 9:30am one yet and will probably wait to cancel one based on my assigned DME time (unless I find something around 8:45 between now and our trip). If pick-up is still a little over 3 hours from departure time and our flight is at 2:38pm, I would imagine our pick up time would be close to 11/11:30!

Remember, you will have to call your airline to add your KTN to your reservation before you check in for your flight. It (PreCheck) won't automatically show up.

'groped in public'??? Seriously? You consider being patted down 'groped'. Somewhat inflammatory. I've had precheck for 4 yrs...I haven't been pulled out of that line ever, not once. If I arrive at the airport, in plenty of time based on having precheck, and I'm pulled out of line and am made late? I'm not going to be happy. Not because I've had random additional screening...but because I planned my time and now I'm in danger of being rushed!

I flew home yesterday...I was picked up at Music at 10:35, we stopped at Movies, then hit the road. Arrived at MCO around 11:40...the driver was hugely slow!!!! The regular security line was listed as about 25 minutes...and that's about what it looked like. I was in precheck for about 8 mins..longer than usual. I had people in front of me that had issues with their boarding passes, people that were in the wrong line (seriously...one couple argued with the TSA agent, kept saying they were first class so didn't have to wait in the regular line! That didn't cut it with the agent..he sent them away!!). The tram to the JB gates was crowded but we got on the first one that arrived, and were at the gate by noon, for a 1:30 flight.
I was wondering what was up with the PP who was always getting pulled out of line myself. We've had PreCheck for a few years and haven't been pulled out once either. Something off that anyone gets pulled out half the time. I'd say there is no way that is normal or expected. I'm sure not changing our timing of leaving Disney 2 hours before our flights as long as we have PreCheck on our boarding pass.

‘Ohana is notorious for running behind and for being slow. If your pick up time is 11:30, you won’t make it.

I've heard that from some people but never experienced it myself at 'Ohana. I'm on the hunt for an earlier reservation, but since we're staying at the Poly I'm not too worried about it since we don't have to go back to another resort to get on the MDE.

Remember, you will have to call your airline to add your KTN to your reservation before you check in for your flight. It (PreCheck) won't automatically show up.

Yes, thank you! I've already called JetBlue and added our KTN's to our profile.

The tram to the JB gates was crowded but we got on the first one that arrived, and were at the gate by noon, for a 1:30 flight.

Did you notice if both trams were operating? I got to ride in the new one last week. The one of the right hand side (old type) had just left and all of a sudden the doors opened for the tram on the left and we walked onto the new tram. Knowing it's been under construction for gates 1-29 it was a pleasant surprise to see it operating.

Did you notice if both trams were operating? I got to ride in the new one last week. The one of the right hand side (old type) had just left and all of a sudden the doors opened for the tram on the left and we walked onto the new tram. Knowing it's been under construction for gates 1-29 it was a pleasant surprise to see it operating.
I noticed that both trams were running when we arrived into MCO. Not the case when we left, at least not that I noticed. And the first few doors were blocked off on the second tram when we arrived there. I was surprised when I saw a tram coming in on the other side!!! But, only half the doors opened. I stayed where I was, the side that used all the doors. So, it looks like both sides may be up and running fairly soon.

I’ve been pulled out of pre-check once or twice. Takes a total of 2 minutes. It’s not a big deal at all. I agree that you don’t need to be at MCo 3 hours early. That’s ridiculous (although I’m sure others will argue differently). If you use RAC, you avoid the check in line and just have to battle security. With pre-check, your time is vastly reduced. You should be fine.

I noticed that both trams were running when we arrived into MCO. Not the case when we left, at least not that I noticed. And the first few doors were blocked off on the second tram when we arrived there. I was surprised when I saw a tram coming in on the other side!!! But, only half the doors opened. I stayed where I was, the side that used all the doors. So, it looks like both sides may be up and running fairly soon.

I noticed that about not all doors on the tram being used as well. When we arrived on the 20th only the old tram was running. I think this is about the half way point of the construction so I would imagine it's another 3 months or so before both are running at the all the time. I have a feeling they had both running for a bit to test the new one before they replace the old tram. It was a nice treat to rid the new one.

We flew home yesterday. I called and added an hour to our bus pick up time since Disney scheduled us with the usual 3 hour window. Instead of boarding at 4:30 for a 6:55 boarding pass and 730 flight time for jetblue we left at 3:30. Took us until after 4:30 to get to the airport, over a half hour to get through TSA (regular line, not precheck) and took a while to get through the one tram that was working. We had just enough time to grab and eat dinner and hit the bathroom before boarding the plane. I couldn't stand sitting through Ohana stressing about getting on the plane. Our friends held to the 3 hour window in the morning and they were fine.

I rescheduled due to the confusion about the new electronics and food rules and the incident the day before that caused delays (I think someone's battery exploded in the airport?) Good luck whatever you decide!

Flew home Friday 11/3. 9 am flight, ME got us at 5:50. We did the airport check in at hotel (awesome, by the way). Left Poly, stopped at Grand Floridian, then on to airport.

Sailed through pre-check and then just had to wait for flight. Smoothest experience yet at MCO!

We flew home yesterday. I called and added an hour to our bus pick up time since Disney scheduled us with the usual 3 hour window. Instead of boarding at 4:30 for a 6:55 boarding pass and 730 flight time for jetblue we left at 3:30. Took us until after 4:30 to get to the airport, over a half hour to get through TSA (regular line, not precheck) and took a while to get through the one tram that was working. We had just enough time to grab and eat dinner and hit the bathroom before boarding the plane. I couldn't stand sitting through Ohana stressing about getting on the plane. Our friends held to the 3 hour window in the morning and they were fine.

I rescheduled due to the confusion about the new electronics and food rules and the incident the day before that caused delays (I think someone's battery exploded in the airport?) Good luck whatever you decide!

Thank you for this information! I'm still looking for the earlier 'Ohana! If I can't find it, I can always try and check in early and beg them to seat us a bit earlier due to MDE pick up (who knows, it might work, LOL!). I suspect that I'll be able to find another ADR at least 1-2 days before to my departure date since so many people cancel. However, it's comforting to know that things moved fairly quickly given what had happened the day before at MCO!

Flew home Friday 11/3. 9 am flight, ME got us at 5:50. We did the airport check in at hotel (awesome, by the way). Left Poly, stopped at Grand Floridian, then on to airport.

Sailed through pre-check and then just had to wait for flight. Smoothest experience yet at MCO!

Glad to hear this data point! I'm so excited to try pre-check this trip!

I was wondering what was up with the PP who was always getting pulled out of line myself. We've had PreCheck for a few years and haven't been pulled out once either. Something off that anyone gets pulled out half the time. I'd say there is no way that is normal or expected. I'm sure not changing our timing of leaving Disney 2 hours before our flights as long as we have PreCheck on our boarding pass.

+1

I have airline elite status (so quick check-in if I do have to use the check-in desk), preCheck and Clear (which I mostly have because of DCA, but it's great!). I typically would find a flight about 45 minutes-1 hour after mine and tell Disney that was my flight. That way I'd leave about 2 hours before my flight on ME. But these days, Lyft and Uber are cheap enough that I usually just take one of those and can really maximize park time!

I called about my mid-December reservation earlier today to provide updated flight information. The CM told me that, according to the system, my current scheduled DME pick-up for a 6:58pm departure is 2:10pm. She apologized for the nearly 5 hour window, but stated that DME is increasing the time for pick-ups due to all the road construction in the area (having been in September, I'm familiar) and potential delays in getting to MCO. I did wonder, however, whether the recent screening issues at MCO and/or the date (the Friday before Christmas) also might be affecting the time. Given the CM's comments about the reason for the change, however, I thought I'd pass this along.

I called about my mid-December reservation earlier today to provide updated flight information. The CM told me that, according to the system, my current scheduled DME pick-up for a 6:58pm departure is 2:10pm. She apologized for the nearly 5 hour window, but stated that DME is increasing the time for pick-ups due to all the road construction in the area (having been in September, I'm familiar) and potential delays in getting to MCO. I did wonder, however, whether the recent screening issues at MCO and/or the date (the Friday before Christmas) also might be affecting the time. Given the CM's comments about the reason for the change, however, I thought I'd pass this along.

Oh wow! That's all I have to say.

I really hope she's mistaken. That means that allowing for a 2-hour-in-advance airport arrival, they are still expecting it to take almost 3 hours to get to the airport?!?! That's crazy.

Oh, dear lord. That's...yikes. I've got to call to update our flight home because I changed it to a later one. I was hoping we'd have a nice relaxing departure day morning saying goodbye to the resort and expected DME would fetch us about 10:55 for our 1:55 flight home. Now I guess I can expect 8:55 for that same flight? That's crazy, but I guess it's better than 5:50am for my original 10:50am flight home!
Still, boo-hiss. No fun.

I was surprised by the 2pm departure time myself - I'm used to the 3-hour window. I'd planned on spending most of the day in the parks before a 9 pm flight (originally), but between JetBlue moving the departure time up and the earlier DME pick-up, those almost cut my day in half.

I'm suspicious that the pick-up time may end up being later (but won't know for sure until the day before when I have the confirmation). And even if not, I recognize that my departure date will be one of the busiest travel days of the year, so perhaps DME accounts for that (beyond any road work delays). I thought I'd post, however, since the CM's explanation was based on road work and as a "heads-up" that this could affect others since a lot of us try to make some plans for our last day.

Wow! I sure hope this was a fluke/glitch and your pick up time is later. We fly because we don’t want to spend 10 to 11 hours driving. With a pick up time this early it would negate the convenience of flying.

That's nutty. It might take 45 mins to get back to MCO, from the last resort stop. If you're the first stop, then it will be an hour or so before you leave the property. But, seriously? You shouldn't need almost 5 hrs to get from your resort to your gate. I'll be keeping my rental car if this turns out to be the new norm. Or taking Uber back. I have precheck, I check my bags at the resort...I don't need 3+ hrs at the airport!!! And yes, there's traffic due to the construction. But it certainly isn't going to be a 90 min drive from WDW to MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter