• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do most strollers only go up to 40 lbs?

P

pnelson

I'm looking at strollers for our soon to be foster/adoptive 14 month old that is joining our family. I am buying it in mind of our December DW trip when he will be two. I notice all the strollers I like only go up to 40 lbs. Is that standard? I know he won't be 40 lbs. by then but I'm also looking for longevitity!!!

We are past the stroller stage though i think that 40-45lbs is pretty much the limit unless you get into some very expensive brands or jogging strollers. I just want to say congratulations on your new family memeber. Enjoy your child.

jordan's mom

Congrats and best wishes on your new addition. I have 5 DCherubs myself and have gone through my share of strollers. What I have done is gone to local department stores, specialty stores, and ToysRUs to get a good view of what would work best for us. Some of them say 40lb. limit but are so well made, they can go higher. Some of them are so cheaply made I wouldn't put a 25lb. in them. Look and see for you and enjoy!

Even the most expensive ones only go up to 45 lbs. I have to tell you that your new child won't be at 45 lbs any time soon. My DD 5 is only 35 lbs and my DS 2 is 25 lbs. So, this stroller will probably last you until they no longer really want a stroller anymore around 3. Congrats!!

I just wanted to add to this. I remember shopping for a travel stroller af few years back and I was looking for one that would hold the heaviest weight. I remember that the salesman took out the Combi Savvy Z (the aluminum one) and sat on it! He said it could really hold more than the 40lbs that is stated.

The big problem I have found is not the weight limit but the height. There comes a time where your child's head will hit the canopy and her feet will drag or she will have to keep her knees under her chin to use the foot rest! That is when I give the "you are too much of a big girl now to ride" talk and she started to walk everywhere. Good luck!

I would suggest the Combi SUBV (45 lbs) but it appears that they aren't making it anymore. however check out www.combistrollerstore.com their prices are usually way below store retail.

Peg Plikos are rated to 88 lbs. The seat is rated to 45, but there is an assumption that an older child might ride standing on the mini-step on the back. I don't find that really works well in practice (you need a buggy board to make it comfortable), but the stroller is made to hold the weight. It's a good WDW stroller because it folds VERY compactly, but it is still rather heavy, at 18 lbs. My 43-lb, 47.5 inch 5 yo still fits very nicely in the Pliko, and it is still easy to steer. (It is not the seat that goes if you put too much weight on a stroller; it is the wheels. The axles start to bow, and the wheels won't turn easily.)

Like all Americans, babies are getting heavier, too. When my son was born in 1997, most infant car seats were only rated to a maximum of 22 lbs. Most toddler carseats were only rated to a maximum of 30 lbs. rear-facing at that time. Now, most toddler carseats are rated to at least 35 lbs. rear-facing, and some of them go up to 40 lbs. Since you can turn a child front-facing once he makes 20 lbs. & 1 yr. old, that means they are mfr'ing these things for 35 lb one year olds!

Of all the gear purchases you make for a baby, the stroller is the one most deserving of serious investment, because it is the one that stays in use for the longest period of time. Most people use them several times a week until a child is around 2.5, then sporadically for another year or so, and once-in-a-while for major
walking outings (like WDW) up to about age 5.

Jogging strollers will usually hold more, sometimes up to 100 lbs. Some of the new 3 wheeled strollers have a front wheel that can lock or swivel. I believe the weight limits on these are higher. InStep makes a Safari model and there is the Mountain Buggy Urban stroller. I've heard great things about the latter, but boy is it ever expensive!

there have been a few reports here of guest not allowed in the parks with jogging strollers. Also many do nto fold, or do nto fold easily, which would make it harder to use WDW transportation.

Thanks everyone! I found I really like, but my husband is talking about getting a lightweight one for Disneyworld so we'll see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter