• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do they still have those big tables in changing areas?

Donnask8pro

DIS Veteran
I have a son is 11 w/ Cerebal Palsy. He needs to be changed. We used to use those big tables in the changing areas but he's alot bigger since the last time we went. I know someone said go to first aid. Which is better?

Sorry I cannot provide specifics, but most changing areas in restrooms are built-in stainless steel counters about five feet long. There are companion bathrooms available. I suggest calling 407-824-4321, and persisiting until you get your answers.

No I'm sorry.. I mean in the baby stations. They used to have big padded tables like in the Dr's office. But I do remember those tables in The Contemporary when we were there. We did use them also. Thanks for your help. I guess if the tables was big enough it would work also.

The changing tables in the regular restrooms and in the Companion restrooms are 4 feet long (I measured all the ones I saw on our last trip). Some might be slightly shorter. During our trip, I did take my DD to pretty much all the companion restrooms in all the parks. Some of the Companion Restrooms don't have a changing table - one I can remember that doesn't is in MK near the Pirates.

We have never used the Baby Care center, so I can't comment about those.

First Aid in all the parks have regular doctor's office type cots. The have bed height cots in the individual cubicles (with privacy curtains). The cots are a length that an adult could lay on them (so probably around 6 feet long). They also have some rooms (with doors) that have height adjustable exam type tables.

Thanks Sue. Its not a problem using the first aid stations for changing? He's definitely bigger than 4 feet. How big are the companion rooms themselves? What if I brought a blanket or towel to lay him down on? I know that idea is nasty but what else can I do? When I change him and he's standing it never goes on right and than I'm just changing him again. Thanks for the help.

They don't have a table in the Companion restroom by Mickey's Toontown either.

The first aid rooms are fairly large. I took breathing treatments in them. I am in a wheelchair and I was able to back into a corner and my mom, who's also in a wheelchair, came in, and my Dad sat in a chair next to me. I am not sure, but I think the tables have those paper disposable covers.

Good luck!

Christamae

I too would suggest First Aid. They have the tables just like the ones in a Dr. office and as Christamae mentioned they are covered with the rolls of disposable paper so it will be more sanitary than laying your son on a blanket, etc. I've always been welcomed in that area.
Kathy

::yes::
Agree with the others; First Aid is the best place.

The companion restrooms vary in size. They all have hard ceramic tile floors. Deb Wills has a picture of a typical companion restroom on her allearsnet.com site. As you can see from the picture, just having a space for a wheelchair doesn't translate into having a space you could lay someone down on (even if it wasn't yucky on the floor). IMHO, it would be pretty hazardous to transfer someone onto that floor and back again, with all those hard surfaces and the things like the sink and toilet that you might not realize you were under as you tried to get up.

They will be very nice to you in First Aid, so I'd just plan to go there if I were you.
I don't know what his abilities are and whether he uses a wheelchair, but some people have figured out ways to change a child while they are in a wheelchair (usually involves the person needing to hold their bottom off the wheelchair by pushing themselves up with the wheelchair armrests). You might want to see if there is any way you could figure how to do that - just for those times when you are not close to First Aid. Or, since he can stand, but the diaper doesn't go on quite right when put on standing, maybe you can change him standing, but then go back to the wheelchair and re-adjust it while he's in there.

We're are planning our first WDW trip for this Nov., but I have always used the First Aid station in Disneyland and DCA. The cast members have always been exceptionally helpful. At DL they will give you a choice of using the private exam room (it has a table just like in the doctor's office), a bed in the curtained area or the large handicap bathroom which has a lower padded bed. I have been planning on using first aid for this trip to WDW.

FYI, My DD (she's 8) prefers the bathroom over the exam room.

boosmom96 said:
We're are planning our first WDW trip for this Nov., but I have always used the First Aid station in Disneyland and DCA. The cast members have always been exceptionally helpful. At DL they will give you a choice of using the private exam room (it has a table just like in the doctor's office), a bed in the curtained area or the large handicap bathroom which has a lower padded bed. I have been planning on using first aid for this trip to WDW.

FYI, My DD (she's 8) prefers the bathroom over the exam room.
Just wanted to warn you that the handicapped bathrooms at WDW don't have a bed/cot in them. The only one we have not used was the one in AK. The handicapped restrooms in First Aid at MK and Epcot are not very large (just barely big enough to get a wheelchair inside).

Our DS also has CP, he is 13, so we had the same problem.
The only companion restroom I found with a table big enough was the one opposite the Land in Epcot. It was stainless steel, so not too comfortable for him, even with a towel.
I decided to give First Aid a try and it was exactly what we needed. Padded changing tables, some are height adjustable to save your back, and rolls of paper covering them. There was a privacy curtain around the area.
We always got a pleasant welcome from the CM there and it was so much more roomy.
Some of the companion restrooms don't have tables or enough floor space to lay a child down once you have a wheelchair in there.
I would always use the First Aid now.

Thank you everyone. I guess First Aid it is. You've been a ton of help. Last time we went he was much smaller/ and shorter. Oh, and lighter..lol

I am glad that you made the decision to use first aid . We live in Fla and use it all of the time. The nurses always welcome us and will do anything to make my DD comfortable She is 7 and way to long for changing tables also I really like respecting her privacy. For years I struggled in companion restroom and I am so thankfull that I finally tried 1st aid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter