Do you enjoy shopping at the Commissary?

SeeDisney

<font color=red>I drove by my WAWA <br><font color
HI Dis friends,

Husband is retired Navy. The commissary is 30 miles away and I do enjoy shopping at the commissary. The prices for produce and meat and perishables are GREAT! I stock up when I go which is every two months.

I LOVE THEIR CASE LOTS SALES!!!!!!!!!!!! Wished they had them every three months instead of twice a year.

But sometimes I see prices at the local supermarkets better like cookies or canned stuff.

Anyone else?

I do like shopping at the commissary. When we lived on base that's the only place we shopped at. Now that we moved we are about 15mins away from the base, even tho that's not bad, but we dont shop there as often.

I did notice tho the cheaper prices at the commissary. Esp, the meats!!!

The commissary is one of the best perks of being in the military. Yes, you will occassionally find cheaper prices at local markets during sales but for overall savings the commissary is rarely beat by anyone. We just got a brand new commissary here at Tinker AFB and it's great! I go to the commissary roughly every three weeks to buy the bulk of my groceries. It's 30 minutes way but well worth the trip :)

I hate it with a fiery passion. :guilty:
Here at Luke (Phoenix) there are many many retirees, so it is very difficult to go grocery shopping and get it done quickly. Oh, how I hate it. Don't know anyone here who likes it. I think a lot of us go to the grocery stores.

Call the commissary and find out when the busy times are. It's been my experience that it's the busiest at times you'd never think.

At Randolph, it's always busiest in the mornings. It's like the retirees plan on getting up and going in on that day. It was least busy between 5:30 and 8 pm.

Here at Columbus, it's a ZOO on payday, the weekend after payday, and whenever the retirees have just gotten a check.

I hate it! Ours is old and small...and I have such a hard time getting things fresh! Sometimes the produce looks like the spoiled stuff at home I just threw out! And the Dairy stuff never feels cold enough. I do like the prices on things, especially the non-perishables.

Ours also has screwy hours and is only open one evening until 8pm...I think they even close at 4 on sat or sun.

Yes, I love it. I drive an hour to get there, but I will really stock up. You can't get some of the stuff that cheap at the store. My DS wanted to try some frozen Kids Cusine, I knew he wouldn't really like it. In the food store by my it was about $2 if not more. The commissary had it for $1 each so I purchased a couple for his to try. And he didn't like it!

Can anyone tell me the prices of formula and diapers at the commissary? I live two hours from one, but as I recall, the one at Ft Lewis was awesome. We are heading up there to greet DH home in 3++ weeks and I thought I should swing in the commissary while we are there and stock up if the prices are a lot cheaper than say Costco or Target. I specifically buy Pampers diapers and Nestle brand formula if anyone can help! (By the time DH comes home, Molly will only have about 8 weeks left of having to supplement her with formula & then we can switch to whole milk! I figure if it's super cheap at the commissary, I'll just buy several cans there!).

We live in Northern VA and shop at Quantico. I had grocery bill shock when we moved here and love the commissary now. I buy milk for less than $2.00 a gallon at the commissary and it is $3.99 (if I'm lucky) at the grocery store. And that is just the milk.

I don't buy a lot of meat there and never buy seafood, but save a bundle on dairy and canned goods.

Rafiki Rafiki Rafiki said:
Here at Columbus, it's a ZOO on payday, the weekend after payday, and whenever the retirees have just gotten a check.

Columbus was my first commissary lesson. Worst is the Saturday after paychecks. I usually go on weekday mornings.

I NEVER buy my meat there, though. I did in Columbus but the meat here is terrible. I drive 30 minutes twice a month to get good meat (and pay twice as much!)

Robin, I'm going to the BX tomorrow - I'll check the prices for you! :)

Thanks KaterKat! Love the pic of Russ in the snow! We miss you on the Moms thread!

Robin - sorry, I didn't make it over until today! The BX (um, PX for Army?) had Pampers Baby Dry for $8.99, 40 size 3s or 34 size 4s. The commissary had Baby Dry for $9.99 (same sizes) and Cruisers for $14.75, 54 size 3s or 48 size 4s.

The Nestle Goodstart Supreme 32 ounce can was $17.94. They had a stack of 50-cent off coupons on Goodstart, too.

Cool- thanks for the info!I will definitely be grabbing a few cans of the formula that will hopefully last Molly until she's ready for the whole milk. :sunny: The Pampers don't seem too much cheaper than Target on sale, but I'll double check the prices. Thanks again Katerkat! Merry Christmas!

I love it and hate it at the same time. I love the prices, but somehow I always forget what date it is and end up there on payday or the weekend after payday! And I don't like to go with my 2 kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter