Do you ever feel looked down upon when staying at FW?

irishbosoxfan said:
And the comments I have heard and read about camping with 5 kids have been horrendous--About all of us being squashed in a tent in the heat and rain with the bugs and how we should have just stayed in a hotel---Well for us staying at FW was the best choice because we would have needed 2 hotel rooms and w/5 kids it would have been hard to keep track

Did I fail to mention that I will also bring my five youngest? Their ages range from 4 to 11. Tell me, where else are you going to entertain 5 kids all summer for the price of the site and ap's? We are lucky to own a 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles, but there was a time before, about 3 years ago, that my best friend and myself would bring 9 kids and stay in a pop up. If my kids know they will get a trip to Disney, they would sleep in the car :teeth: .

TAKitty said:
About the boat sharing, I stayed at YC and did not like have to share a boat with Swan/Dolphin. It had nothing to do with them being "my own kind." I just didn't want to share the boat. It takes longer. Perhaps some of the WL people feel the same way.

I don't know why the WL people would feel this way. When we leave our dock, we go straight to WL and then to MK. When we leave the MK dock, we go straight to WL and then to FW. There are some days that I see WL more than I see FW. Maybe it is the luck of the draw on which boat you board, but the first stop, either way, is WL. I think they should have a different view, we are sharing our boat with them because the campground was there long before WL. The people at FW really don't mind taking a little longer to get where they are going because they are not caught up in the "rat race" that goes on in the hotels. A majority of the campers are always laid back and go with the flow. We actually take the time to seek other Dis people out and meet them.

I know camping is a life style, either you like it or don't, but don't knock something just because it is different. Also, don't get worked up because you have to wait a little longer to get where you are going. Vacation is for relaxing, not stressing!

irishbosoxfan said:
Me and my family will be staying at FW for the first time this summer and we are taking a plane to get there--Which for some reason people find incredulous--Like we are the only DIS people who have ever done this==And the comments I have heard and read about camping with 5 kids have been horrendous--About all of us being squashed in a tent in the heat and rain with the bugs and how we should have just stayed in a hotel---Well for us staying at FW was the best choice because we would have needed 2 hotel rooms and w/5 kids it would have been hard to keep track but in the tent which we bought previousely from the outdoor advantage store on ebay we got a 3 bedroom tent and it has a big center room for all the luggage plus another DISer was kind enough to tell me about a product called the ACBOOT which you hook up to your tent to run a window ac thru and it sits on this little table and plug it to the electric post at your campsite and 3 queen size aerobeds we are good to go---We will be doing the dining plan so we don't have to worry about meals at the campsite so as of right now we only have 7 items to check at the airport===I just can't wait to see their faces when they realize one of those items is an air conditioner :rotfl:

We love camping(not sure about my 2 DS's though because I haven't taken them since they were little) and are looking forward to our first camping trip in the WORLD!

My sister is planning on camping at FW in a tent and flying down with her 5 kids! Her DH isn't so hip on it, but I have faith that she'll get him to see the light! :teeth: Do you think in October that the ACBOOT thing will help? How hot is it in October?

mrsgus06 said:
I don't know why the WL people would feel this way. When we leave our dock, we go straight to WL and then to MK. When we leave the MK dock, we go straight to WL and then to FW. There are some days that I see WL more than I see FW. Maybe it is the luck of the draw on which boat you board, but the first stop, either way, is WL. I think they should have a different view, we are sharing our boat with them because the campground was there long before WL. The people at FW really don't mind taking a little longer to get where they are going because they are not caught up in the "rat race" that goes on in the hotels. A majority of the campers are always laid back and go with the flow. We actually take the time to seek other Dis people out and meet them.

I know camping is a life style, either you like it or don't, but don't knock something just because it is different. Also, don't get worked up because you have to wait a little longer to get where you are going. Vacation is for relaxing, not stressing!

I was making a comment based on someone else, that is why I quoted the message in my reply. Please read the entire thread before assuming I mean something that I don't. I don't care if WL is sharing a boat or not.

Wow, what a rude comment to make to someone. I'm sorry that happened to you! From my experience, every time we've called to make reservations at Ft. Wilderness, the CM's have gone on and on about how wonderful it is there and how much they love it. I would have been upset too if someone made me feel like a second-class citizen for staying there.

It's funny, DH and I always wanted to stay in the Ft. Wilderness cabins, and up until a few years ago, couldn't afford it. In fact, we were disappointed when we had to stay at the Contemporary a few years back through Shades of Green because we really wanted to stay in the cabins instead. Also, when deciding whether or not to buy into DVC, one of the things that almost held us back was how much we loved the Wilderness cabins :teeth:

We still plan to stay there a few nights every trip before checking into our DVC resort, and the ultimate goal when the DVC runs out is to buy an RV and spend our winters at Ft. Wilderness!

I had a similar experience at AS Sports last year. I was in line at the food station waiting to order when a guy a couple people back starts complaining loudly about having to wait in line and poor service (not in such polite words). What I assume were his parents were behind him and not saying anything. He was acting like a spoiled 2yo brat not getting the piece of candy he wanted right now before everyone else and making sure everyone else could hear him. I could tell he was really ticking everyone off around him but that's not really what got me....

He finally hit his lowest point when he started talking about how everyone else staying there was trailer trash. :furious: It was everything I could do to bite my lip and not take a swing (and if I hadn't had my son with me I might have). I know people who live in trailers and they have way more manners than that guy will ever have.

I regreted not putting the guy in his place for the rest of the day but kept wondering why he was staying there if he was such an important person.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who have witnessed the "resort snobs". We just laugh it off. Let them feel that way about FW, that way when we go to make our reservations we won't have any problem getting in!

I wonder how many of them have a full kitchen with microwave, 3 tvs, two bedrooms, garden tub in their room? They should come take a look at how I "rough" it! :rotfl2:

TAKitty said:
I was making a comment based on someone else, that is why I quoted the message in my reply. Please read the entire thread before assuming I mean something that I don't. I don't care if WL is sharing a boat or not.

I did read the entire thread. You stated you don't like sharing the boat with another resort because it takes longer to get where you are going. "I just don't want to share the boat. It takes longer." Those are your words, not mine. Perhaps some of the people staying at WL do feel that way, perhaps they don't. If you are going to assume for these people, why can't I assume for other people? :confused3 All I am saying is take your time, enjoy your surroundings and don't let the little things in life stress you out. Life is too short!

A Thought From The North, Calm Down Summers Coming And And So Is Wdw And The Fort 7/3 To 7/10. Sleeping In My Own Bed And Loving It. Also In My Pkg. Ny,pa,wv,va,nc,sc,ga, And Anyplace Else I Deside To See Along The Way.maybe I'll Stop In Tn Or Ky Or Ohio On The Way Home.lol

You are right, toytowner, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

I have not read the whole thread but would like to say that some of the campers people own cost more than some houses and I think people who judge based on where you stay is ignorant, I personally would do whatever it took to have a trip to disney, right now I am lucky enough to be a dvc owner but I have rented a camper before and stayed at fw, and would do it again in a heartbeat. we also usually stay a few days at one of the all stars to save points and make our trip longer. To each his own and god bless as long as you can get to wdw, get there and leave everyone to have there own magical time. :wizard:

mrsgus06 don't be sorry just start making plans to go back to wdw and the magic. the way i see it the next trip will always be more fun then the last.

The rude people have a point. FW is horrid, downscale, trashy and "trailerpark." It's only for the low income crew who are too "lower class" to afford a "nice" hotel room like the "fancy" people... NOT! :rolleyes1

I LOVE that some feel this way. It makes me smile in a private, "you're an idiot" kinda way. But we stay polite. We're from the south. :smokin:

It's kinda like when some say "crawfish are just bait!"

Yep... save 'em for us! :cool1:

The creoles have a word for "rude money," it's called "parvenu."
Those who have money but no class... :confused3

When it comes to FW, if it weren't for the parvenus, there wouldn't be room for me and "you'se!" LOL! :cheer2: :banana: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

markb said:
The creoles have a word for "rude money," it's called "parvenu."
Those who have money but no class... :confused3

When it comes to FW, if it weren't for the parvenus, there wouldn't be room for me and "you'se!" LOL!

This was worth repeating! I love it! : ) I have read this entire thread and I'm thankful that I've never been in any of these situations. I've never overheard anything rude said about FW, nor heard complaints about sharing boats.

We've only been camping, period, as a family since last summer when we purchased out TT. However, my DH has been camping at FW since he was a young child. We only live an hour away and I am overjoyed when the CM tells me she can get me the nights I want at FW. We will be taking our very first 1-week vacation this summer....at Ft. Wilderness, one hour away from home. : ) Couldn't think of a better place to be.

jimmytammy said:
But I love FW! It is a great place! We love eating at Trails End. We enjoy the horseback rides. Still looking forward to a Campfire singalong and movie. It is a wonderful relaxing place. The most wonderful campground I have seen. We are DVC owners at VWL. I consider FW to be like an extension of the 2 wonderful resorts combined..

We are DVC owners also (just joined in December), but still plan on staying in FW this December. We had toyed with the idea of DVC for many years, but wouldn't have bought for a long time if they hadn't started letting people use their points at the campsites. What held us back was Disney's no pet policy. That's the reason we bought our travel trailer in the first place....so our cat could travel with us. She is 16 years old and grieves when she is separated from us. She's much too old to be stressed by us leaving her behind. So, we bought a camper and spend all our WDW trips in FW. We love it so much there! I credit FW with turning my husband into almost as much of a Disney nut as I am. He looks forward to his time in the campground more so than his time in the parks. I used to have to pressure him to go to WDW but not anymore. He counts down the days until our trip right along with me. :Pinkbounc

As long as we still have our cat, we'll continue to stay exclusively at FW on our DVC points. When she is no longer with us, we'll alternate between FW and the DVC resorts. But I can't imagine not staying at FW on at least some of our trips. We would miss it too much.

jimmytammy said:
I too have experienced that upper nose syndrom at WDW and many other places under Gods green earth. But you know, at the end of the day we all take those pants off pretty much the same way as they went on earlier.
I'm thankful to say that I've never experienced that kind of snobby attitude. Then again, maybe it's happened but I've been so happy just to be at WDW and staying in FW that it went right over my head and I didn't even notice any rude remarks....hehe.

Yes, I have felt and received stares, even some that look like they're out of PITY when we get off the boat at the FW dock!

We love camping! We CHOSE to do this!
We are staying at WL for a week soon and camping for 2 nights in October.
A little pampering and a little bit of roughing it.
that sounds so fun to me!
It's a choice, I guess that's what people don't seem to understand, that we actually enjoy this, we get something out of it.
And even if it were out of a financial necessity, SO WHAT?!
Good for us, for not going in over our heads and charging up a whole vacation that we couldn't afford anyway, which is exactly what some of those people do!

Time to look down on them i say! :teeth:
So to my fellow campers, when you lay back in your camper or tent and hear the crickets and sometimes an owl hooting or the breeze going through the trees, just smile and enjoy the outdoors, the fresh air, the wilderness... and pity those folks who don't know what they're missing!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

(just tune out the sounds of the Disney buses :rotfl: )

This entire thread had taught me one thing! Campers are friendly people! We talk to everyone!

We do the same thing, strike up conversations with people in line, on the boat, and on the bus. As far as I know, none of the resorts have exclusive transportation. We are all in it together.

We prefer camping and traveling in our TT for the reason stated before and because I can pack my whole house in it if I want to. I don't want for anything! I can bring 5 pairs of shoes if I want. We have a complete medicine cabinet and a full pantry. When we get there we don't worry have to worry about what we don't have and where to get it.

We save a ton of money eating in our TT. We could eat out but then we wouldn't be staying for 12 days either!

I think us Fort Wilderness people have a much more richer experience!

:tink:

My husband and I were not campers when we first started going to Disney. I enjoyed staying at the Disney hotels and couldn't imagine why ANYONE would ever want to camp at Disney (million dollar RV or not). Who would want to stay at a campground with all of that dirt? And how could anyone properly shower? I wasn't thinking rude thoughts, just didn't understand. And, I would have never dreamed of saying any of those thoughts out loud. Think what you want, but don't say rude things in public. People who do that are just plain insecure and NEED otheres to think they are wonderful.

Then, twenty years, and many Disney trips later, we decided to try camping. Bought an RV and discovered we loved it. After our camping experiences I don't plan to ever stay at a Disney hotel again.

Why not?

Have paid $375 a night for a room at the Beach Club during Christmas and still discovered candy and dirt behind the drapes.

Paid for two rooms at the French Quarter and stepped on gum residue on the carpets and saw peeling wall paper. Also a toilet that my husband fixed after housekeeping didn't respond to our requests for a fix after two days.

And the list goes on....

Now with an RV, I realize: I LIKE being able to eat breakfast in our RV and cuddle into blankets without worrying about who used them last. Also, no more having to wear flip flops on the carpets. And the RV list goes on...

Our family and friends think we are crazy for not staying at hotels...Fine by me. More space for us at Fort Wilderness.

We must just be lucky but in 40 or so trips to Fort Wilderness we've never had a bad comment from anyone--never---and we do talk to lots of people

Paul in Tx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter