do you still commando?

Rozzie

DIS Cast Member
Leaving shortly, in a few days, and I usually am in a tizzy at this point with PS's and such. All I have is a few sit downs, maybe 4, Brown Derby and CRT, and such, and which park which day. I feel like I really want to go this time and not commando now that I am in DVC. When we were there in the past, I am always up and drill sgt., while we still are going to get at to the parks at opening, I feel like I really just want a non planned to minute vacation. Is this a normal feeling???? I have always been a plan plan plan plan person. any feedback? do you still plan plan plan plan, or do you just take it easy now that we all have (Good Lord willing) 50+ years??? :goodvibes

We play a lot of it by ear, I only did one fully planned trip...it was too much work. However, with the dining plan, it will probably be harder to get table service seatings for dinner. If you are making plans after you arrive at Disney (as we usually do). you may consider have table service lunch, those ressies will probably be much easier to get, then doing counter service/snack bar/food courts for dinner. That is what we did in June and it worked out fine. Any "must do" places I would make a ressie prior to leaving for the trip.

Yes and no.

August will be trip 7 and while we can't wait to do each park in our typical commando style, we won't go every day this time. We're planning one day to go pool hopping and to DownTown, and will probably spend an entire day at Blizzard or Typhoon

I always plan, but we never stick with the plan, LOL. I just like to plan and daydream. That is why at most I'll have 2 PS's, we really can't be held to which park which day. We actually let our son decide where we're going to go often. It helps though that we have only ever gone during the slower season (early Feb), if we were going now or during the holidays I'm sure I'd have to rethink things.

I haven't be a commando since joining DVC. There's something about the fact that I have 37 more years to see everything that calms me down and allows me to smell the roses.

I still tend to plan most of the details. I'll call for PS's at tthe 90 day mark because with a larger group (more than 4 or 5) (we normally travel with my parents and my brother's family and have 9+) it can be hard to get good seating times. In the past I would plan every day from wake-up until bedtime! In some ways it is nice because everyone can participate in the planning and once the "master" plan is approved it eliminates the need for debating once you arrive. With DVC I feel less need to cram in every park or every attraction every trip and I while I still prepare a schedule, it will include more "free time" for swimming, strolling, etc.

We don't do commando anymore, but get so much more done than we used to as novice WDW travelers too. I would stick with your "getting to the park at opening" plan from the past because you know you can get 2-3 times as much done in those early hours as you can in the later ones. The, take time off to go back and swim and enjoy all the other activities around the resorts, etc. (we nap - little kids and nap times ROCK lol).

HAve fun Rozzie!

We plan suppers, often at Epcot. But we break the day in half with swimming at the villas, so we can go to any park we want for the first half of the day--or just stay at the resort and hang out. Our only committment is what park to visit for the evening.

We purchased in '93 and at that time got the free park passes until 12/31/99.

Long story short, the last commando day we ever did was June 1993, the day before we took the tour. On the tour, we purchased on the spot, and moved from our off-site hotel into the OKW (then named DVC) 1-B/R villa within an hour of signing the papers.

Haven't had a commando day since.... :cloud9:

Nope. Haven't done commando in (counting fingers)... 20 years. And that was the only time. Hated it.

We plan out the essentials ahead of time, then just chill back and enjoy ourselves when we're there.

DisFlan

We usuall make a few PS for something that we really want before hand. Beyond that, we don't really have to plan anything.

I think that after a while you just get sort of smarter. It just sort of becomes natural. You automatically know what will be most crowded on a given day or at a certain time of day. You don't have to really "plan" for it, you just sort of know it. It is like knowing the best way to drive home from work at a given time of day. You don't really have to "plan" you just sort of know what to expect.

One thing is, we don't really care if we miss something. Often there is something that one of us is particularly looking forward to, so we wouldn't want to miss that. But we don't feel like we have to do "everything" or, really, "anything."

Now, don't get me wrong, we'll get up in the morning to get that first ride on Dumbo as soon as anyone with the latest guidebook. We just don't have to think about or plan out the day or anything like that.

Just take it easy and have fun. Go ahead and plan what parks what day around the PS's you want. If you have a dumbo rider, be there early and knock out fantasyland, or else go hit the mountains early if you have olders. Use fast pass smartly. Zig when most people are zagging. Go back to the pool. You know how to do it.

Since DH and bought DVC (2000), we really go down and go with the flow. :cool1:

Our upcoming trip in 2 weeks is the first time we have ever made ADR's ahead of time - and we still only made 2! Since it is just the two of us, we have never really had a problem getting reservations anywhere for sit down meals. And, this trip, we are planning on getting up earlier to to EMH in the morning, since the ones at night seem to be too crowded. :crazy:

Nope...not since getting annual passes about 9 years ago. It's so nice not to feel like you have to see everything in one day!

DVC has actually forced us to plan a bit further ahead for ressies, though I was able to get ressies at VWL for the end of this month about a week ago. Now with DDE, we're actually having to do a little bit of dining planning, too.

Nope. I was the Queen of the Commandos, very detail-oriented and planned everything for our trips, then we bought DVC in August of 2004 and took our first trip "home" in December and bought AP's.
What a difference!
It was so nice to not feel any pressure, even if it was self-imposed ;)
I always know we are going back, and we just go with the flow much more now.
I make a few PS's (ADR's) beforehand for some trips and get park/show and EMH info, but that's about it. No more planning each day down to the minute of the touring plan!

ALLRIGHT YOU WIMPS.

I'm gettin a bit disappionted in y'all.

Whatta you mean you're not the first-in and last-out any more!?!?!?!

Just 'cause you got your AP and a DVC card ya think you can take your sweet ole time in the parks - HA!

LETS GO PEOPLE!

Hustle! Hustle! Hustle!

Get those elbow pads on, lace up those sneaks and hit those rides!

Lets show those newbies how its done! :cheer2: :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter