do you still commando?

Members since 1993 and NO MORE COMMANDO'S for us. It is such a great feeling!!!! Best investment (financially and for ourselves) that we have ever made!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Nope, no more commando. I usually decide which park for each day and that is it. I do go to the parks at opening, but that is because I want to go back to the resort during the afternoon heat wave. Then have some pool time or relax in the room. Then it is back out in the evening. Usually we wander over to Epcot for the night.

I don't even bother with PS any more. So far we have been able to call in the morning or early afternoon for a dinner PS if we need one.

However I don't usually go during the very busy times of the year. May is my favorite month to go and the crowds are not bad.

dizfanz said:
I haven't be a commando since joining DVC. There's something about the fact that I have 37 more years to see everything that calms me down and allows me to smell the roses.

Reminds me of the time we were at AK. It was quite crowded and a woman stepped off the "beaten path" to smell some sort of flowering bush.
I tapped her on the shoulder and said "I'm sorry Mam, you don't have time to stop and smell the roses". We both laughed.

Anywhoo, no more commando for us. We have been so many times and plan on returning for many years that if we miss something this visit, we may catch it the next, or maybe the one after that.

Except Off Kilter. We must see Off Kilter each and every visit. ;)

We are just getting into the commando mode... the kids are 6,4, and 2... so their stamina is building!

We make at least 1 ADR a day, most days 2 (always make a lunch one, sometimes do dinner too). I like to know what park on what days, and we have a strategy for each park.

I cant wait for the days we will be able to do open to close. Cant wait!!!

No more commandos here either! I do have ADR's, but take it easy at the parks, see the "new" rides and go back to the resort when it gets hot to go swimming and go back to the parks later at night. My DD and I are night owls and prefer to be at the parks later, DH is a morning person so he prefers to get there early, so we compromise and do both, but split the day to rest in-between!

This spring was our third trip as a family, all have been "commando style". The fifth day of our trip this spring all the kids wanted to do was sit around the pool and play in the sand at CB. I fumed all morning about wasting over $200 on park tickets that day and that we weren't getting our moneys worth. Finally sometime after lunch I decided I was being crazy. The next day we took the DVC tour (2nd time, took it the first time in '99). Now we're waiting on our first contract to make it through ROFR.

No more commando trips for us, ever!

Hi,

We plan but our mood might shift us elsewhere!!!! The beauty of DVC & Disney!

Yes we do commando when we go. We go to the parks from morning till night and get in everything we can while there. We go for 2 weeks and spend 1 week doing Disney and 1 week exploring other areas mostly nature areas and wildlife refuges etc.

I still plan, plan, plan but only to get me through till our next trip. Other than which park on which day and our character meal ps's we don't really stick with anything else. On our park days we do get there for opening but we only stay till around 1:00. We usually never even head back out to the parks in the evenings.

This past summer we were in Orlando for 17 full days and we never even saw 1 single fireworks show. We know we will be back and we just do what we want and then have relaxing afternoons and evenings.

Have a great trip,
Lori

I find myself doing the commando thing because I keep taking/going with friends and family that don't go as often as I do. For example my July trip I went for a wedding and then stayed there with some friends for a few days. They only had about 3 days and wanted to see as much as possible in those 3 days with a 5 and 10 year old. Those days were commando but then after they left I had 3 days to relax and slow down.

The only thing we plan is what park on what day and what sit down breakfast and dinner to make ADR's for based on what park we will be at. We do not plan rides, shows, use touring plans, what counter service place to grab lunch at, etc.

With this MYW dining plan I would never go with our ADR's made. There is a new thread on the restaurant board where people are saying they waited until 60 days out to make the ADR's, because they had to see the park hours. These people coudn't get any dinners at their fav restaurants. Not even really early or really late times, NOTHING at all was available at 60 days! I guess if you're happy with counter service or gasp, you cook, you'd be okay! For us, eating a nice dinner somewhere is a big part of our trip. Even though we are DVC, I am going to keep making our ADR's at 90 days. :)

Trip number 8 starts tomorrow...we don't go commando as much anymore. I make PS (ADR) at the spots we really want to eat in. Go to the parks a bit after opening, stay for a few hours and go back to the resort and have lunch and a swim. Back to the parks for dinner and a few more hours.

Much nicer that way...I have noticed many more 'little' things since I slowed down.

My kids did nothing but complain about our commando style of visiting the parks, my response: I wanted them to experience as much as possible in case we didn't get back anytime soon. Now that we're DVC members :goodvibes , I've announced that for our 2nd "bonus" trip this year, we'd be taking a laid back approach and were only going to venture into the parks 2 or 3 days. Now they're whining for the good old days. :rolleyes1 .

There is no reason to deal with the crowds and go commando once you get the swing of things in the parks.
007 style is the way to go, move against the crowds, be in the pool when everyone else in in the parks, and know all the little short cuts in each park.
It's the only way to go!! :cool1: pirate:

So, this thread has <i>nothing</i> to do with undergarments? Dang.

rinkwide said:
So, this thread has <i>nothing</i> to do with undergarments? Dang.

Are you from the UK? Cos that was my reaction too?

(For any US folks who don't speak like us Brits - going commando means going without any underwear!!!) :rotfl:

susieh said:
Are you from the UK? Cos that was my reaction too?

(For any US folks who don't speak like us Brits - going commando means going without any underwear!!!) :rotfl:

I always go commando, but I never "go commando". :teeth:

I agree with dizfanz we've got a lot of years to see everything at least two or three times!!!! We usually have a general idea of what we'd like to do, however, don't stick with it 100%. If we know something we'd like to do may be difficult to get (maybe Cirque Du Soleil) we'll make the PS's in advance...
otherwise, we just plan each day after we get there. For instance, this December our two sons want to go to Cirque....since DH and I were just there in May we don't really want to go again so soon (they're 24 and 16) so we'll probably go to Epcot that evening and do the Candlelight Processional, maybe
with dinner first......maybe not.....and then meet up with them later.

We set up a tentative day by day schedule based on must sees, like Spectro, since sometimes it is only held on certain days and I make a number of ADR's , but when we are there we go with the flow and if we don't get to something, we know we'll see it next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter