Do you think there are video cameras on the verandahs?

ruadisneyfan2

DIS Veteran
I would assume that they can't record people inside their cabin for privacy reasons but maybe on the verandahs? I only think this because they seem to know the answers when someone intentionally goes overboard. Dh says no way could they record people while on a private verandah. Not that I would, but in the past, there were Disboards threads about whether people have, ahem, "discovered the magic" on their verandah. Surprisingly, many people say they have. So now I have visions of DCL security watching the live video.
What do you think? Are verandahs truly private space?

I would assume that they can't record people inside their cabin for privacy reasons but maybe on the verandahs? I only think this because they seem to know the answers when someone intentionally goes overboard. Dh says no way could they record people while on a private verandah. Not that I would, but in the past, there were Disboards threads about whether people have, ahem, "discovered the magic" on their verandah. Surprisingly, many people say they have. So now I have visions of DCL security watching the live video.
Yes, I'm sure there are cameras. No, I don't think they are entertained by watching strangers having sex on the verandah.

I don't know. They'd risk catching people inside the rooms if they captured the verandahs on camera. I doubt that everyone keeps the curtains closed all day.

I don't know. They'd risk catching people inside the rooms if they captured the verandahs on camera. I doubt that everyone keeps the curtains closed all day.
I think it's the other way around. People risk being captured inside their rooms if they don't keep their curtains closed. Safety comes first. Especially man overboard cameras when sailing in the ocean. The person will likely not make it alive if they went overboard AND the ship doesn't come and pick them up.

I would think that those “discovering the magic” on the balcony are doing it there partially because of the thrill of possibly being watched.

There are cameras that can see the balconies as they use them to help monitor if anything or anyone is chucked overboard. Whether they are regularly watching them is another question and probably the answer is no but they do have them. They aren't on each balcony but are positioned along the ship so there is coverage of the balcony railing of each one

I would think that those “discovering the magic” on the balcony are doing it there partially because of the thrill of possibly being watched.

There was a thread years ago about this and it was hilarious, I mean the nautical mile club.
But since it's been sorta brought up again, I'm curious: what happens if folks are 'caught in the act'? Would DCL react? If yes, just a reprimand or outright banning?

I think it's the other way around. People risk being captured inside their rooms if they don't keep their curtains closed. Safety comes first. Especially man overboard cameras when sailing in the ocean. The person will likely not make it alive if they went overboard AND the ship doesn't come and pick them up.
I'm not so sure. Guests have an expectation of privacy within their staterooms. Disney could have a lot of legal trouble if people find out that there are cameras recording what happens in those staterooms.

My guess is no reaction.
In most cases I’d agree with you. What reason would DCL have for causing guests to be put in the uncomfortable spot of knowing their private activities weren’t so private? But I imagine that in some cases another guest on a neighboring balcony) might see or hear something and make a complaint to DCL (especially if kids witnessed something) and DCL may need to address it with the guests.

I'm not so sure. Guests have an expectation of privacy within their staterooms. Disney could have a lot of legal trouble if people find out that there are cameras recording what happens in those staterooms.
Not if their indoor activities are readily visible from outside—if I choose to be naked on the front porch of my house, or in front of a window without curtains open to the street, my expectation of privacy is no longer reasonable.

Not if their indoor activities are readily visible from outside—if I choose to be naked on the front porch of my house, or in front of a window without curtains open to the street, my expectation of privacy is no longer reasonable.
The big difference, of course, is that you expect other people to be on the street, but you don't expect them to be in the middle of the ocean.

The big difference, of course, is that you expect other people to be on the street, but you don't expect them to be in the middle of the ocean.
There are 2,000--4,000 guests on the ship. Odds are at any given time many of them are out on verandahs. I personally love leaning out on my verandah and looking around to watch the sunset/wake/port/dolphins. I can see into dozens of verandahs every time I do so.

Verandahs are far from private. Look at all the posts about neighbors peeking around the divider, what can be seen from the balcony above, what can be heard next door. Anyone who is expecting privacy on their balcony is fooling themselves. And if you don't want to be seen within the room, close the curtains - that's why they exist.

As for cameras - yes I believe they exist to see the edge/railing. Might it catch more of the verandah, probably. Part of the interior, possibly though probably not intentional. And I doubt anyone is actually watching those cameras 24/7 -- they exist for situations when needed such as a missing person suspected of going overboard.

If they "catch" someone -- again, highly doubt it's being watched. But if you don't want to be seen, make sure there is no way anybody else could possibly see you, such as staying inside and drawing the curtains.

If there was security camera to see guests get some action on their verandah, where is the camera located? Even when it's picked up by the camera and equipment on the side to detect things like man over board, the only thing you might pick up is people holding on to the railing during the act. I think it's very unlikely that the security officers (or whatever they are called) to use that equipment to zoom in on one balcony to watch some amateur action. There is no camera attached to the railing or at the ceiling looking inwards to film your actions. I think ;-)

So, if you want to discover the magic on your balcony and you do not want to be filmed, just hold on to the door, do it on the floor, or in the chairs. And for the sake of your neighbours, please keep your volume down.

They have cameras overlooking all sides of the ship (you can see them) as stated for multiple purposes, any part of the veranda captured in frame is incidental and part of a much larger frame.

I'm willing to bet really wide views are monitored regularly by security but anything more close in is likely monitored by a computer running AI to identify things of concern like a man overboard event. And are only looked over by a human during investigations.

There are 2,000--4,000 guests on the ship. Odds are at any given time many of them are out on verandahs. I personally love leaning out on my verandah and looking around to watch the sunset/wake/port/dolphins. I can see into dozens of verandahs every time I do so.
Of course, the verandah isn't private. The stateroom is. A camera watching the verandahs would also capture activity inside the staterooms, including people (and kids) changing clothes.

Of course, the verandah isn't private. The stateroom is. A camera watching the verandahs would also capture activity inside the staterooms, including people (and kids) changing clothes.
Not with the kind of cameras they are describing, which are viewing down the whole length of the ship. It’s not an individual camera on each verandah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter