Does David's tell you if the renter cancels?

We are insured and are hoping that will cover our rental. We are Canadian and travel outside Canada has been recommended against, as well as Canadians who are currently outside the country are being told to come home. Our insurance does cover pandemics (thank goodness), so I am hoping that all we are out in this entire mess is the actual trip, but not money. We have contacted David's but have not heard back since they asked if I would like them to contact our owner.

It would have to be extraordinary circumstances for us to rent points again. A ridiculously good deal that wouldn't hurt to lose or something. We did everything right, but it is still a very complicated situation and I would love to just be able to press the "cancel" button like those with direct through Disney reservations. Unlike Disney in general where the online "complainers" are a small portion of the actual clientele, I would imagine DVC rentals skew much heavier towards having some sort of online presence in the Disney community. If not handled well, this could hit the DVC rental market hard, both on the demand and supply end.

Obviously as a renter I feel for those of us in this situation, but I feel for the owners as well, and the rental companies. I think it's safe to say nobody expected THIS kind of scenario when renting points or renting out their points.

The right thing would be for Disney to close the resorts, return points to owners and extend their use period, owners and agents like David's to return funds to renters. That way renters can then re-book their trips once we are through all this and it restarts the local economy. Disney is much better positioned and likely better insured that all us affected individuals whether owners or renters. In the meantime I applaud all the owners and renters that are working together to find the best results for all.

I have renters that should be checking in tomorrow. They also have Disney dining attached to the booking. I have been waiting for an email from David’s but had nothing. I guess the renters may be wanting to keep the booking as a resort only stay but I very much doubt it. The last thing I want is for tomorrow to come, when it might be too late to salvage the dining plan money, even if the points are returned should they not check in.
I have emailed David’s myself today and I hope they get back to me soon.
I am not in a position to return the 70% - that money is long gone, but will happily rebook when this dies down if that is what the renters want....my points were borrowed from Aug 2020 to make the booking, so if they do get returned to the original use year, there is plenty of time to make things right. I dare not cancel the booking without hearing from David’s as that would mean I have breached the contract and I guess it is possible the renters intend to check in anyhow. I do feel so sorry for everyone who is affected by this and I hope I hear back in time to rectify the situation for my renters.

Wow, some people sound greedy. If you get your points back why wouldnt you refund or reschedule for renter. That would be the decent thing to do. That just seems wrong. If Disney does right by the owner you should also follow suit. Even with insurance it doesnt cover a pandemic and cancel for any reason has not been available for weeks.
Im hoping the owner i rented from feels the way you do. If Disney shuts down in May i would be out 2200 dollars. I would gladly rescheduled if the owner would allow me to. Im hoping they wouldnt rip me off in a time like this.

I have renters that should be checking in tomorrow. They also have Disney dining attached to the booking. I have been waiting for an email from David’s but had nothing. I guess the renters may be wanting to keep the booking as a resort only stay but I very much doubt it. The last thing I want is for tomorrow to come, when it might be too late to salvage the dining plan money, even if the points are returned should they not check in.
I have emailed David’s myself today and I hope they get back to me soon.
I am not in a position to return the 70% - that money is long gone, but will happily rebook when this dies down if that is what the renters want....my points were borrowed from Aug 2020 to make the booking, so if they do get returned to the original use year, there is plenty of time to make things right. I dare not cancel the booking without hearing from David’s as that would mean I have breached the contract and I guess it is possible the renters intend to check in anyhow. I do feel so sorry for everyone who is affected by this and I hope I hear back in time to rectify the situation for my renters.
Awesome of you to look into this. Its not your business. The renter should be contacting Davids. Again very very kind of you to want to make things right.

I don’t know if the renter has reached out to David’s and they are in their queue to be sorted out, but time is running out with a tomorrow check in!!!
I hope things work out for you too, I think most owners will do what they can to make things right. After all, DVC owners must love Disney otherwise they probably wouldn’t have bought. I’m sure none of them (me included) would want a Disney vacation ruined in this way.

I don’t know but I’m guessing most insurance people get won’t handle this pandemic.They do have a cancel for any reason insurance. That is about 40 percent higher that I heard from a you tuber that is a travel agent. I’m guessing that 40 percent higher is going to go way up because of this.
If travel restrictions are put in place you should be able to claim. This could easily happen in the US.

The right thing would be for Disney to close the resorts, return points to owners and extend their use period, owners and agents like David's to return funds to renters.

Most of that can happen already. DVC is allowing changes & extensions outside of the rules. All the owner has to do is pop online or make a phone call on behalf of the member. Apparently some are unwilling to do so.

As for refunds, a portion of the funds are sent to the owner right after the transaction is completed. So before David’s could issue full refund, they’d have to recover money from the owner.

If Disney DVC works with owners and owners work with renters and renters can reschedule that is the best outcome I think anyone could hope for in this situation.

The owners that are unwilling to assist renters now should realize that if the resorts shut down they will then be required to provide refunds and if you were unwilling to help me reschedule when you could have. (as stated in the contracts with companies like David's) I will surely have zero interest in rescheduling with them then when the shoe is on the other foot and will demand full refund.

Renters who want to reschedule need to know now that Fall Frenzy probably isn't going to happen. Most of the resorts are booked up for those dates already and that just leaves summer. Who know what is still available for summer. DVC points have a shelf life and might have been banked points which expire and cannot be banked again. DVC is allowing points not to go into holding, but that just extends them to the end of the UY if the owner can't bank them to the next year. I'd like to venture a guess that most renters don't want to plan another rented trip for May or June, not knowing what is going to happen with the virus. Wanting to reschedule for next year in March or April might also be tough if the owner of the points plan to use their new UY points for their own trip.

Owners also are having a hard time contacting DVC if they used banked or borrowed point or points at the end of their UY. Lots of owners are getting a busy signal. Even if they do get the points back and not in holding, they might still be identified as holding and cannot be used for a stay more than 60 days out until the holding designation is removed. That is currently taking about a week unless the owner gets the right person on the phone when they finally get through to Member Services. So it's not just call MS and tell them how I need to change the current reservation. Their hand are often tied as well.

Finally, renters need to understand that the owners do not have a contract with the renter. The owners have a contract with the broker. The broker has a contract with the renter. It's up to the broker to make it right if they can, not the owner. Unless the owner is able to fix it. Lots of owners rent out their points because they need the money for some other necessity or want and it was probably spent when they got their initial portion from the broker. I hope the brokers have a lot of insurance for their companies because they will need it. Some may be filing for bankruptcy or shutting down their company after this is all over.

The right thing would be for Disney to close the resorts, return points to owners and extend their use period, owners and agents like David's to return funds to renters. That way renters can then re-book their trips once we are through all this and it restarts the local economy. Disney is much better positioned and likely better insured that all us affected individuals whether owners or renters. In the meantime I applaud all the owners and renters that are working together to find the best results for all.
DVC might also have their hands tied based on timeshare regulations on how much they can extend owner's point usage. I'm far from an expert on timeshare regulations, but I have heard they are pretty rigid in Florida.

I had renters checking in today. I fully expected to hear from David’s to see about rescheduling earlier in the week, which I would have happily done. I heard nothing. Then, today, I did not receive payment from David’s for the 30% of the rental that was due. I called late afternoon to inquire why. They said they were really busy, and maybe would pay out the proceeds tomorrow.

I will admit that I did not like this answer. I told them that I would have gladly rescheduled if they had asked me too, but they did not. Now, I wanted them to uphold their side of the contract, since I upheld mine and my points are now gone. I have rented out 1000+ points thru their service, and honestly, I am not sure I will rent out anymore with them.

They eventually paid about 2 hours later, but it was a real eye opener that you can use them to rent out your points and they can pay you later than the contract states.

Last edited:
I remember reading some time ago that soon to expire points can be exchanged into RCI, which will extend the time available to use them? If this is correct this might be a possible option for those in this situation.
You will then have a year to make a reservation ,I believe.

So do I reach out to the owner through David’s or wait for the owner to reach out to me since the resort is closed.

If you have not contacted David’s I would do so ASAP. Their response times have been greatly slowed since this started. Don’t wait for the owner. If they initiate refund that’s a bonus not an expectation IMO.

I am a renter and also an owner of DVC points.
Is it possible to request the owner of the points to have them transferred to me after they get their points back, instead of a cash refund.

Is it possible to request the owner of the points to have them transferred to me after they get their points back, instead of a cash refund.
I actually asked David’s the same question. We are going to close on a very small contract soon. The person at David’s said they haven’t done it before, but it’s a reasonable request. And they will look into that.

I have to say that this is not unexpected. After the CDC came out with their latest recommendation to limit gatherings to 50 people or fewer, it would be unwise to keep a nonessential business open. The most recent update prior to this announcement said that the resorts were remaining open to allow guests time to make travel arrangements home. That was a gentle way of saying “get out”. Now they’re shouting it: “GET OUT!”

It depends on a lot of things. Borrowed or banked points cannot be transferred. Also, if the owner of the points you rented has already used their once per UY transfer, they can't transfer again.

I just received an email from dvcreservation to owners and told them to refund.

"Disney has announced that resorts will be closed as of March 20th.

Renter Refunds: If this affects your renter, you should be preparing at this time to return renter funds for affected renters, as disney can no longer honor dates you contracted and promised renters

If you have a renter in this period, please contact us asap to determine what amount is due. "

A little further down...

"As of right now this only affects March dates, however, we have very little doubt that Disney will extend this to April eventually so April DVC owners should alspoprepare as of this time."

**Edit: This was NOT from Davids. I was mistaken and read the email too fast, it was from dvcreservations. My apologies.

Last edited:
David's just sent out an email to owners and told them to refund.

"Disney has announced that resorts will be closed as of March 20th.

Renter Refunds: If this affects your renter, you should be preparing at this time to return renter funds for affected renters, as disney can no longer honor dates you contracted and promised renters

If you have a renter in this period, please contact us asap to determine what amount is due. "

A little further down...

"As of right now this only affects March dates, however, we have very little doubt that Disney will extend this to April eventually so April DVC owners should alspoprepare as of this time."
Interesting. What if renters don't have the funds to hand? It may have been months ago they received the initial funds...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter