Dog experts

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
We have a neutered male Westie, Remy, that is about to turn 1. We have had him since he was 9 weeks old. We also have a 4 yr old Westie and we recently had to put down our 15 yr old Westie. All of our Westies were bought from a responsible breeder. The 4 yr old is actually the 1 yr old’s biological uncle (his sister’s puppy).

So, our 1 yr old has taken to carrying a toy around. He doesn't carry it all the time, and certainly has no trouble separating from it to do other things....but he has it often enough that it's obvious he has some 'thing' for this toy. It’s literally the least ‘special’ toy we have...a flat watermelon that at one time (probably before we even got Remy) crinkled. I don’t think it’s connected to losing our oldest dog...pretty sure it was happening before he died. Remy is happy and energetic...shows no signs of being distressed, anxious or remotely upset.

I’m just curious if there’s any ‘reason’ for his connection to this toy?....mostly out of pure curiosity because it’s darn amusing.

Thanks...
Jess

Attachments

• F1FCCCA9-A9B3-4932-B611-05F89AA206CF.jpeg
    F1FCCCA9-A9B3-4932-B611-05F89AA206CF.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 8FC1E6B2-933C-4521-B8E1-4117C23B06FE.jpeg
    8FC1E6B2-933C-4521-B8E1-4117C23B06FE.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 9F254A5A-360D-4482-9482-E80E4D73CF8D.jpeg
    9F254A5A-360D-4482-9482-E80E4D73CF8D.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
He is gorgeous. I think dogs do have favourite toys. My old goldie took a bedraggled toy pheasant to bed. It had stopped squeaking and was practically bald but every sleep time (and retrievers sleep a lot), pheasant would be licked and nibbled and nuzzled before he fell asleep. I even buried his pheasant with him, when he died.

Once our old dog was able to be trusted with soft toys and not just destroy them, she decided she had a favorite--a pumpkin. She would play with other toys a little bit, but pumpkin was carried from room to room, snuggled and licked. Once we realized what was going on, we bought a second one the next fall, so the original could get washed.

Such adorable pictures!

One of our dogs has a favorite toy from day 1, her cow cow. She cuddles is and sucks on only the left ear, like a pacifier at times. She has destroyed countless toys in 8 years, but not cow cow!

Our other dog favors his lamb toy, but could take or leave it.

Sorry about your oldest Westie:littleangel:

Thanks everyone...

I just wanted to double check that this isn’t some sign for Remy being upset...even though he shows no signs of anything being wrong. He’s such a happy and energetic little guy, with tons of personality. It was rough losing Tucker though...after 15+ years. I’m just glad Scout and Remy have each other. I can’t imagine how Scout would be if we didn’t get Remy.

The pics are me with Scout and Remy and all 3 boys: Tucker, Scout, Remy (thankful to have Tucker for the past Christmas).

Attachments

• B769C2DD-D2B2-48B4-9A67-A78A4516A43B.jpeg
    B769C2DD-D2B2-48B4-9A67-A78A4516A43B.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 75FAC27E-3E13-41A2-970C-204F8DF234DC.jpeg
    75FAC27E-3E13-41A2-970C-204F8DF234DC.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 39

I currently have 2 westies. I had another that passed several years ago. He would carry a stuffed bear around, and when he wanted to go to sleep he would lay on it, and suck its nose.

We have a neutered male Westie, Remy, that is about to turn 1. We have had him since he was 9 weeks old. We also have a 4 yr old Westie and we recently had to put down our 15 yr old Westie. All of our Westies were bought from a responsible breeder. The 4 yr old is actually the 1 yr old’s biological uncle (his sister’s puppy).

So, our 1 yr old has taken to carrying a toy around. He doesn't carry it all the time, and certainly has no trouble separating from it to do other things....but he has it often enough that it's obvious he has some 'thing' for this toy. It’s literally the least ‘special’ toy we have...a flat watermelon that at one time (probably before we even got Remy) crinkled. I don’t think it’s connected to losing our oldest dog...pretty sure it was happening before he died. Remy is happy and energetic...shows no signs of being distressed, anxious or remotely upset.

I’m just curious if there’s any ‘reason’ for his connection to this toy?....mostly out of pure curiosity because it’s darn amusing.

Thanks...
Jess

I have a female shih tzu that just turned 1 this month. Her favorite toy is an unmatched sock with bacon and eggs printed on it. Ok :rotfl2:

This is actually a pretty common behavior across all breeds of dogs, large or small. While neither of my boys do it I have a friend who's dog takes a stuffed moose everywhere with him. And uses it for a pillow when he sleeps. Our breed is Bernese Mountain Dogs and its amusing to see a big dog carry his stuffy around with him. I don't think its anything to be worried about. Your dogs are very cute!

Oh your Westies are adorable!
My amber had a stuffed dog that she carried around. She would curl up on him and suck on his nose. I had to resort to Ebay in order to get a spare when I couldn't stitch her toy back together anymore.

Your westies are beautiful and so sweet looking. I have had 2 westies and absolutely love them. I have had dogs who find one toy to focus on. As long as he is happy and energetic he is probably just happy with the toy.

They are precious! I have a Cairn (ancestral cousin to the Westie). I’m sorry for your loss. (Ugh, that’s the worst!)

One of my German Shepherds used to carry a blanket from room to room, then lay on it wherever he was. Just a cute little quirk. I love that about dogs! :love: They are all so unique.

OT But random questions for you Westie owners. I’ve heard that Westies can have skin issues. Has that been your experience? And also how do you deal with the grooming?

OT But random questions for you Westie owners. I’ve heard that Westies can have skin issues. Has that been your experience? And also how do you deal with the grooming?

Tucker had allergies. Scout and Remy not so much... It definitely runs in some lines with Westies. It was never extreme for Tucker. Just licked a lot.

This is actually a pretty common behavior across all breeds of dogs, large or small. While neither of my boys do it I have a friend who's dog takes a stuffed moose everywhere with him. And uses it for a pillow when he sleeps. Our breed is Bernese Mountain Dogs and its amusing to see a big dog carry his stuffy around with him. I don't think its anything to be worried about. Your dogs are very cute!

Our Dane carries a plush pillow around the house!

Those westies are super cute!

Beautiful pups!! I don't think there is anything wrong, lot's of dogs have toys they carry around all the time.
I have a doodle that's wayyyy bigger than your guy, who has a totally flat toy that is the same size as your guys toy, or even a bit smaller (since it's rather torn up). It's a turtle. He LOVES his turtle. He doesn't carry it everywhere, but he has to have it every morning after breakfast. And you can see him get very stressed if he can't find it. I dread the day that he no longer has it (because it's going to completely fall apart sooner or later).

Your Westies are totally adorable!!!!!

We had a female that was taken from her litter rather early, and she was definitely the one to carry a favorite toy around. My DH claimed it was due to her not having enough "baby" time, but who knows. I just bought multiples of the same toy, so at least I could wash them once in a while.

Out of all the weird things dogs do, this one doesn't trouble me!

Your dogs are ADORABLE!!!!

One of our personal dogs was in a shelter where they were given a frozen red Kong to go back in their kennel after their walk. He is obsessed to this day with red kongs. He keeps a few under his crate blankets and it’s his go to toy to initiate play with us or other dogs in the house. We have had him 4 years now and it’s never been a problem for him.

We are a foster family for dogs as well and I have had a few that took to a particular toy and I cannot think of a negative outcome for any of the dogs. I just send them to their adoptive homes with the toy! I am sure your pup will be fine!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter