Dole Whips - from the parks to my home

HunnyPots said:
I haven't tried this recipe but a real dole whip has no cream or milk; its non-dairy. You can buy the actual mix from this site and make in your ice cream freezer. http://www.unifiedenterprisescorp.com/products2.html

Dole Whips are not quite dairy-free. They are lactose free though.

http://www.precisionfoods.com/branded/doleindex.asp#

Just a warning for people with dairy allergies. They are fine for people who are lactose intolerant, but they do contain a milk derivative.

You probably couldn't make a "true" Dole Whip at home unless you've got a full chemistry lab in your kitchen. ;)

But hey, I do have an ice cream freezer...that's pretty tempting.

Wow! Thanks for posting! I tried one of those Dole Whips when we were down in Disney just a few weeks ago! They are yummy! I have an ice cream maker, so will have to try this! thanks for posting!!! :yay:

On the Doombuggy's site it doesn't specify what kind of cream. Do they mean heavy cream :confused3 (you can tell I don't make ice cream)! :stir:

Sunstar said:
I'm definately going to have to give this a try. I have a different recipe that calls for crushed pineapple that you puree and I've never been able to get the pineapple to not be stringy. Never thought about just using the juice. *slaps forehead*

To remove the stringiness, after pureeing the fruit, strain it thru a fine mesh strainer and gently push thru with the back of a spoon. You will remove the rough fruit and get the true puree you are looking for. Just discard what's left in the strainer. All juice will not give you the same smooth texture, you need fruit. It only takes a minute to do and will give you the fuller smooth texture.

GIOny said:
On the Doombuggy's site it doesn't specify what kind of cream. Do they mean heavy cream :confused3 (you can tell I don't make ice cream)! :stir:

The picture on the Doombuggy site shows heavy whipping cream which is what I use when I make it.

:banana:

This came from sanilacjack on the disney restaurant threads. I haven't tried it yet but today might be a good day to run to Walmart.....

"O-kay guys, I think its pretty common knowledge that I LOVE Dole Whip Floats.

Well, today after church I was cruising our local Walmart super store, when I ran across Blue Bunny pineapple sherbet....say it isn't so!! I than hit the fresh juice isle and found Dole brand fresh pineapple juice. I know you can buy the whip mix on the internet that you make in a ice cream maker but this is SO much easier.

Cost of the Blue Bunny Pineapple sherbet.....2.50

Cost of the Dole fresh pineapple juice.......1.00

Sitting here enjoying the DIS with an out-of-this world Dole Whip Float........PRICELESS!!!

Try it for yourself.....you will thank me!"

JRawkSteady said:
I have the exact recipe at home (I'm still at work now). Stay tuned either tonight or tomorrow! :) :) :)

I hope you aren't still at work. I've been waiting for your recipe!!!!

monymony3471 said:
I hope you aren't still at work. I've been waiting for your recipe!!!!

Now thats what I call overtime! :teeth:

the site says it's been disabled ..I was just given an ice cream maker and am dying to try the dole whip recipe..but have no idea where to start..anyone?...TIA..Lynn

I did some searching and found two versions of the recipe. The first version is either the Doombuggy version or it is close to it. I remember that the Doombuggy version used a surprising amount of sugar. The first version makes a fair amount of mix. Even with a larger ice cream maker I had to divide it into multiple batches.

Doombuggy Version:

1 quart Dole pineapple juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups heavy whipping cream
3 cups sugar
Milk

Mix the pineapple juice and sugar, making sure that the sugar is dissolved.
Next add the cream and vanilla.
Pour the whole mixture into a 4-quart ice cream maker.
Add milk to finish, filling to the fill line.
At this point simply follow the instructions on your ice cream maker.
When the ice cream is ready you can serve it as is or you can stick it in the freezer for a while and let it set up a bit.

----------

Version 2:

2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze about 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir gently pineapple slush into whipped cream until just blended, in large bowl. Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour. Serve.

:stir:

sounds yummy..going to the store tomorrow morning for ingredients..will be cranking up the ice cream maker tomorrow nite..thanks for your time in finding it for those of us who needed it!
Lynn

lynxstch said:
sounds yummy..going to the store tomorrow morning for ingredients..will be cranking up the ice cream maker tomorrow nite..thanks for your time in finding it for those of us who needed it!
Lynn
So.........how did the recipe turn out??

I'm hoping to bring this thread back to the top -- I'm craving a Dole Whip in the worst way!

Has anyone tried the recipes above or bought the mix?

I'm hoping to bring this thread back to the top -- I'm craving a Dole Whip in the worst way!

Has anyone tried the recipes above or bought the mix?

I've used a variation of version #2 that Onceler posted. We didn't know about them to try on our last visit (2001) but after hearing so much about them here I went in search of a recipe. I got it from Dole.com and have made it for our Christmas brunch, which is predominantly Disney recipes. Everyone here really enjoys it. I've made it with Cool-Whip & even used the fat-free kind. I use pineapple in its own juice & Splenda, since I'm diabetic. I keep some out before adding cherries and/or marshmallows for the kids.

This is the variation I use:

Pineapple Icee Whip
a Great Pretender for Dole Whips, from Dole.com
Prep: 10 min.
Freeze: 3 hrs.
Makes: 8 servings

2 cans DOLE Crushed Pineapple (20 oz. each)
2 Tbl lemon juice
2 Tbl lime juice
1/3 c sugar
½ c chopped maraschino cherries, mini marshmallow or mini chocolate chips, (optional)
1½ c heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth. Stir in cherries or marshmallow or chips, if desired.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze about 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir gently pineapple slush into whipped cream until just blended, in large bowl. Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour. Serve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter