DVC Club Level and Home Resort Survey

ljmiii

Mouseketeer
I just received (and answered) a survey from Disney Destinations Research. While most of the questions were similar to ones I've received in the past (e.g. how happy are you and how much to you use your points for things other than staying at the resorts), there were a bunch of questions that focused on two new things.

First, there were a bunch of questions about my interest in Club level rooms at a DVC resort. Interestingly enough, while they described and asked about a bunch of potential benefits - a lounge with food and drink, better rooms, 'special' views from lounge and rooms, a concierge - they didn't mention the one thing that would make me pull the trigger - better access to the parks. (They did give a list of potential concierge services and park access wasn't one of them). To me, 90 Day Fastpasses were the big draw before - giving better access to ILLs, Virtual Queues, and Genie+ would be the big draw now.

Second, they asked a lot of questions about my experiences with my Home Resort and other resorts. This culminated in asking if I would be interested in buying DVC points at a resort that didn't have Home Resort priority (or to look at it another way, buying DVC points that allowed me to book at any resort at 11 months). I answered that I "strongly disagreed" and when they asked why I responded that I *like* having Home Resort priority. It's what makes DVC (and HGVC) a pleasure to own compared to MVC/Abound.

This survey is being reported on other forums as well. I actually think this could be pretty exciting if Disney introduced a “bucket” trust type timeshare product that gave you home resort priority for all the resorts and points owned within the trust. That would be identical to the Club Wyndham Access Trust that Club Wyndham timeshare owners can purchase. The annual dues would probably be high since I’d bet they’d own a lot of foreclosed VB & HHI, but it would be a very useful product. On the other hand, it would absolutely destroy their resale restrictions strategy since anyone buying the trust points resale would necessarily be able to book at all the resorts owned by the trust, so it would be a weird choice for them to make if they are all-in on resale restrictions.

I also can’t quite wrap my head around how it would work with resorts that have expiration dates that are all different. The systems I’m aware of that have it are all perpetual ownership interests so you don’t run into that problem. I guess they could sell it with different expiration dates based upon whatever points they have available for sale at that time? Maybe the price could be tied to the expiration date? They could have tiered pricing for points that expire in ‘42, ‘54, ‘57, etc.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t this create a situation where more points sold have 11-month priority than total points at that resort?
No, not if it’s structured as a trust where the trust owns “X” points at each resort, and home resort priority for that resort in each use year only lasts as long as “X” points are still available. 11 month availability would actually look different for legacy resort owners and trust owners as a result, but on net, it shouldn’t affect the availability. This is how Club Wyndham Access Works.

As someone who has purchased at resorts I love, I will not like having this “non-home resort but with 11-month priority at all resorts”. Wouldn’t this create a situation where more points sold have 11-month priority than total points at that resort?
Also important to note that it woudln’t be “true” 11 month home priority at all resorts, it would just be 11 month priority at the resorts owned by the trust for the amount of points owned by the trust. Especially in the beginning, this could mean that 11 month priority for in-demand resorts might be hard to come by. As more points are ROFR’d/foreclosed upon and more people buy trust points, the availability would get better.

This survey is being reported on other forums as well. I actually think this could be pretty exciting if Disney introduced a “bucket” trust type timeshare product that gave you home resort priority for all the resorts and points owned within the trust. That would be identical to the Club Wyndham Access Trust that Club Wyndham timeshare owners can purchase. The annual dues would probably be high since I’d bet they’d own a lot of foreclosed VB & HHI, but it would be a very useful product. On the other hand, it would absolutely destroy their resale restrictions strategy since anyone buying the trust points resale would necessarily be able to book at all the resorts owned by the trust, so it would be a weird choice for them to make if they are all-in on resale restrictions.

I also can’t quite wrap my head around how it would work with resorts that have expiration dates that are all different. The systems I’m aware of that have it are all perpetual ownership interests so you don’t run into that problem. I guess they could sell it with different expiration dates based upon whatever points they have available for sale at that time? Maybe the price could be tied to the expiration date? They could have tiered pricing for points that expire in ‘42, ‘54, ‘57, etc.
I believe they could only do this for new resorts, If I'm not mistaken the contracts we all signed guarantee at least 1 month home resort priority over owners at the other DVC properties.

I believe they could only do this for new resorts, If I'm not mistaken the contracts we all signed guarantee at least 1 month home resort priority over owners at the other DVC properties.
I'm certainly no expert in the area, but I don't know that this would be an obstacle since the Trust would be an owner at your resort. The analogy is this: You own at 3 resorts, Poly, BLT, and Riviera. You get home resort priority at all 3 for the amount of points you own at all 3. This is the same thing, just on a larger scale. The trust gets home resort priority only for the resorts the trust owns, and only for the amount of points the trust owns.

I wonder if they will offer this when Riv, Alunai, FW, VDH and Poly2 are all in active sales. Why pick one when you could buy into the trust which could give you access to all of them at 11 months. Especially if they have bank of “sold out” properties they could roll into the pitch.

I wonder if they will offer this when Riv, Alunai, FW, VDH and Poly2 are all in active sales. Why pick one when you could buy into the trust which could give you access to all of them at 11 months. Especially if they have bank of “sold out” properties they could roll into the pitch.
I imagine it would sell very well and at a premium.

I'm certainly no expert in the area, but I don't know that this would be an obstacle since the Trust would be an owner at your resort. The analogy is this: You own at 3 resorts, Poly, BLT, and Riviera. You get home resort priority at all 3 for the amount of points you own at all 3. This is the same thing, just on a larger scale. The trust gets home resort priority only for the resorts the trust owns, and only for the amount of points the trust owns.

The way the resorts are currently set up, and the POS written, we own at a specific one and the ownership can’t just be changed to a trust being the owner unless owners at those resorts vote agreeing to that change, and not even sure that is possible.

They could start a new program for a multi site time share where you buy points into the system but not one place.

But, for the current ones, it can’t be changed because we are deeded to a home resort and we are guaranteed that one month advantage to that resort over owners at other resorts.

I, also, received the survey. I would hate losing the 11 month widow at my resort and I am OKW. There are too many businesses in he DVC rent world nowadays and too many people booking on spec hoping to make a buck. Sometimes, one just needs to plan an import guaranteed trip like children n the military coming home or a reunion.
I don't need some autobot grabbing all of the reservations.

If everyone bought where they wanted to stay - as EVERYONE here advises, this wouldn't be a problem.

I got the survey as well. Definitely some interesting questions on it. I also said I would not be happy with the any home resort priority and I am someone who only books during home resort priority for VGC and VDH or if I am booking a very busy time.

They could start a new program for a multi site time share where you buy points into the system but not one place.

But, for the current ones, it can’t be changed because we are deeded to a home resort and we are guaranteed that one month advantage to that resort over owners at other resorts.
This means only new resorts (say Poly2 or FW) can be part of this new program, not existing resorts?

But this wouldn't change that. People who own points in the trust would be owners at the resort. That's why they'd get the home resort priority.

I still can't imagine this would really happen, because it would seem to be the opposite of where they are going with their resale restrictions strategy. That said, I think this would be a net benefit to anyone who wants to buy DVC points on the resale market because it would be a way around the restrictions. Heck, even if they sold a trust product that only got you 7 month priority everywhere, and no 11 month priority anywhere, it would be attractive for unrestricted sleep around points.

Are we sure that this survey is legit?

I got it too, but I didn't complete it because a couple of the questions seemed sketchy to me - most notably, one question asks if I am a "DVC Blue Card Member", but DVC hasn't used that term in - what - 3 or 4 years? Could be an oversight, I guess, but it seemed to lack credibility to me.

My first thought was "Is this from some shady marketing company working for Marriott trying to steer me buy their product?" i.e. After I submit the survey, I'll start to get a bunch of emails from Marriott plugging that they have resort priority at all their resorts, unlike DVC.

Maybe I'm paranoid...

But this wouldn't change that. People who own points in the trust would be owners at the resort. That's why they'd get the home resort priority.

Except it changes the home resort priority, unless I am not understanding. If I own points at RIV, then I am deeded to RIV and must get home resort priority over anybody who is not deeded to RIV

If what you are suggesting is that the resorts go into a trust so you get advantage at all the trust resorts, it changes the program and the POS and it can’t happen.

I don’t want to be in a system that gives people who own at other resorts than me have the same rules as me. I bought specifically for the resorts I own, and not for the others I don’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter